The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

In need of advice , Am i a real entrepreneur???

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
I know i know MJ says a real entrepreneur always introduces himself as one. So for some the question alone will trigger an easy NO. But hear me out. Ever since i was boy i always wanted to be rich. My first opportunity came when i was just 5 years old. At the time we lived in a big apartment complex full with kids my age who craved junk food on a daily basis. Problem was they had to cross a big busy street in order to satisfy their cravings . But no way their parents would allowed them too. So what i did was sell my left over candy and snacks i had in my house. The response was a success. My idea was so successful that even my parents got into the action and helped me convert our living room into the neighborhood candy store. We did really great until we had to close shop and move. Years past by and that entrepreneur mentality never died. I sold things at school from cds to movies to weed. Anything to make me money. I got addicted to it , i lost interest in school and drop out. I wanted to get into the work force so i can continue making money. I was an illegal immigrant so my options were very narrow and not promising! Around the same time my dad got layed off from work and the world seemed dark. We didn’t give up and instead we partnered up and started our own landscaping business. We started door to door and people were happy to find us. Nobody want to be working outside in 110 degree weather. Just like MJ i live in Arizona. Customers were happy and recommend our services. Thats what always kept us going. The business was great because it provide us our own income .My dad kept the majority of it since he paid the house bills and needed to send money to my deported mother. But I wanted more! i thought that being legal and having a normal job i was going to become rich. Overall thats what they always said in school. Now since i was ilegal it was a far away dream. But that was going to change. At the time Obama was finishing his first term and it seemed he wasn’t going to get reelected unless he had the minorities come out to vote for him again. Just like any other lying politician he promised big things and didn’t deliver. He told the hispanics he was going to fix the immigration system and allow people who been here for a while to stay and fix their status. Regardless how you feel about the subject its important i bring it up since it dramatically changed my life. On August 2012 he signed into affect DACA. A program in which it allows young people like me to remain and work in the country. Again you may have your own opinions but its just part of my life. Just like any smart person would do i took the opportunity life gave me. With that I thought my future was set i was going to go work for legit business and make a killing. Yeah for us immigrants working 9-5 jobs is a nice upgrade. So i neglected my fathers business and instead focused on making other rich corporations more money. Until I started feeling worthless and starting think back on my big dreams of owning my business and wanting to be financially free. And now im here trying to figure it out. I came back to the landscaping business but it dosen’t meet the Fastlane standards. I cant physically help thousands or millions and i cant separated my time from the business. It needs alot of supervision. And now its harder then ever to compete with all this new low price Joes. Im doing every course i can to be more professional and knowledgeable. Im learning digital marketing and how to build my brand. But its like im just competing with price. What do you guys think is this business worth staying in? Should i instead find another way to solve problems?So in return i can become a successful entrepreneu.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Bekit

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 13, 2018
Great story. Why don't you consider yourself an entrepreneur? You've already triumphed over odds that would have caused many fainter souls to quit.

I would focus on providing value.

The reason the landscaping company took off when you first started it was that you filled a need. People didn't want to do their own yard work when it was 110+ degrees. You were willing to do it. So they paid you.

Now, that space is crowded with lots of other people who have noticed the trend.

Same thing with digital marketing.

But I have a hunch that if you just lift up your head and look around, you'll see an opportunity that is NOT being met, just like you did when you were 5 and the kids weren't allowed to cross the street.

You have that ability to see those kinds of opportunities. Most people don't.

That's where I'd recommend that you focus your efforts.

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Great story. Why don't you consider yourself an entrepreneur? You've already triumphed over odds that would have caused many fainter souls to quit.

I would focus on providing value.

The reason the landscaping company took off when you first started it was that you filled a need. People didn't want to do their own yard work when it was 110+ degrees. You were willing to do it. So they paid you.

Now, that space is crowded with lots of other people who have noticed the trend.

Same thing with digital marketing.

But I have a hunch that if you just lift up your head and look around, you'll see an opportunity that is NOT being met, just like you did when you were 5 and the kids weren't allowed to cross the street.

You have that ability to see those kinds of opportunities. Most people don't.

That's where I'd recommend that you focus your efforts.
I guess because im finding it hard to make the income i want doing this type of business. I feel like a real entrepreneur would of figure it out by now. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me. This really been a big help. I will stay in the grind.

Tourmaline

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
A landscaping business can be fastlane. Make a system for it and spread it to different cities.

River McTasney

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 13, 2019
I know i know MJ says a real entrepreneur always introduces himself as one. So for some the question alone will trigger an easy NO. But hear me out. Ever since i was boy i always wanted to be rich. My first opportunity came when i was just 5 years old. At the time we lived in a big apartment complex full with kids my age who craved junk food on a daily basis. Problem was they had to cross a big busy street in order to satisfy their cravings . But no way their parents would allowed them too. So what i did was sell my left over candy and snacks i had in my house. The response was a success. My idea was so successful that even my parents got into the action and helped me convert our living room into the neighborhood candy store. We did really great until we had to close shop and move. Years past by and that entrepreneur mentality never died. I sold things at school from cds to movies to weed. Anything to make me money. I got addicted to it , i lost interest in school and drop out. I wanted to get into the work force so i can continue making money. I was an illegal immigrant so my options were very narrow and not promising! Around the same time my dad got layed off from work and the world seemed dark. We didn’t give up and instead we partnered up and started our own landscaping business. We started door to door and people were happy to find us. Nobody want to be working outside in 110 degree weather. Just like MJ i live in Arizona. Customers were happy and recommend our services. Thats what always kept us going. The business was great because it provide us our own income .My dad kept the majority of it since he paid the house bills and needed to send money to my deported mother. But I wanted more! i thought that being legal and having a normal job i was going to become rich. Overall thats what they always said in school. Now since i was ilegal it was a far away dream. But that was going to change. At the time Obama was finishing his first term and it seemed he wasn’t going to get reelected unless he had the minorities come out to vote for him again. Just like any other lying politician he promised big things and didn’t deliver. He told the hispanics he was going to fix the immigration system and allow people who been here for a while to stay and fix their status. Regardless how you feel about the subject its important i bring it up since it dramatically changed my life. On August 2012 he signed into affect DACA. A program in which it allows young people like me to remain and work in the country. Again you may have your own opinions but its just part of my life. Just like any smart person would do i took the opportunity life gave me. With that I thought my future was set i was going to go work for legit business and make a killing. Yeah for us immigrants working 9-5 jobs is a nice upgrade. So i neglected my fathers business and instead focused on making other rich corporations more money. Until I started feeling worthless and starting think back on my big dreams of owning my business and wanting to be financially free. And now im here trying to figure it out. I came back to the landscaping business but it dosen’t meet the Fastlane standards. I cant physically help thousands or millions and i cant separated my time from the business. It needs alot of supervision. And now its harder then ever to compete with all this new low price Joes. Im doing every course i can to be more professional and knowledgeable. Im learning digital marketing and how to build my brand. But its like im just competing with price. What do you guys think is this business worth staying in? Should i instead find another way to solve problems?So in return i can become a successful entrepreneu.
Think of it this way. Don't be a regular landscaper be a "Specialty Yard Beutification and Develepor. " Special clients only. You're experienced and know the ins and outs of how to best serve your customer. I know it's notthat simple but I did sales for a prominent HVAC company in B/CS texas and that mindset is how we sustained great margins ever though there were 100s of Joes putting up cheap a$$ bids for change outs. We expressed ourselves as professional consultants, specialty designers, etc.,etc. Bythe time we were done the customer didn't want to risk the potential downfalls lack of value the cheap guy had to offer. If they had the money they went with us and our price was always significantly higher. But remember if you talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk. Percieved value only gets you so far in the service world. You need to offer both perceived value to get ththe job and real value to complete the job.

OP
OP
Juan Pimentel

Juan Pimentel

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 10, 2019
Think of it this way. Don't be a regular landscaper be a "Specialty Yard Beutification and Develepor. " Special clients only. You're experienced and know the ins and outs of how to best serve your customer. I know it's notthat simple but I did sales for a prominent HVAC company in B/CS texas and that mindset is how we sustained great margins ever though there were 100s of Joes putting up cheap a$$ bids for change outs. We expressed ourselves as professional consultants, specialty designers, etc.,etc. Bythe time we were done the customer didn't want to risk the potential downfalls lack of value the cheap guy had to offer. If they had the money they went with us and our price was always significantly higher. But remember if you talk the talk you better be able to walk the walk. Percieved value only gets you so far in the service world. You need to offer both perceived value to get ththe job and real value to complete the job.
Wow men thank you for the tip. I will put into action

oku

New Contributor
Aug 20, 2019
Entrepreneurship doesn't mean "millionaire." It's a term that brings the understanding that you solve problems with a product or service. Stop being fancy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom