The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In honour of the return of the real Top Gear... (Grand Tour)

Pacman385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 28, 2013
I'm hoping there are some car guys or even Top Gear fans on this forum that will appreciate this; I wanted to learn at least the basics of video editing so what I decided to do was combine clips of me driving a Zonda R on Driveclub (I know, not terribly productive but one of very few things that bring me excitement since I had to get rid of my motorcycle) with Jeremy Clarkson's review of... Ding ding ding! The Zonda R!

What I tried to do was capture every angle in the game as it was in the show itself. Some of them I had to make do but I tried to at least time the sounds as well as I could.

I didn't realize how much time and effort goes into producing that until I actually sat down to put it together- just these three minutes took me a good 12 hours, and it's NOWHERE NEAR as good how Top Gear looks.

Anywho, here goes

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
haha, this is actually pretty cool. I like what you did.

Have you watched 'Everything is a Remix'?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I didn't realize how much time and effort goes into producing that until I actually sat down to put it together- just these three minutes took me a good 12 hours,

This is a big reason why I left that industry; nobody, unless they've sat down and put something together like this, appreciates just how long and arduous a process film making is, what is commonly known as, "a thankless task".

Good job by the way, some nice cuts in there, next time try and find some more footage, it was a bit light on that front, loved the Brucie joke! :)

Pacman385

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 28, 2013
haha, this is actually pretty cool. I like what you did.

Have you watched 'Everything is a Remix'?

Thank you!
I have not, but the imdb description looks mighty interesting- care to share your take on it before I dive in?

This is a big reason why I left that industry; nobody, unless they've sat down and put something together like this, appreciates just how long and arduous a process film making is, what is commonly known as, "a thankless task".

Good job by the way, some nice cuts in there, next time try and find some more footage, it was a bit light on that front, loved the Brucie joke! :)
What sort of industry, specifically, was this, may I ask? I definitely did develop a new appreciation for it, and to think that this was without the use of green screen- the editing that must go into the big blockbuster movies that utilize that and 3D like Transformers and Avengers must be absolutely INSANE.

Thank you as well. The problem I had with the limited footage was that I had to make the scenery looking as similar as possible so I was reduced to only a handful of tracks. Any more and it started to look weird because one second I'd be in the high mountains of Chile and the next I'd be in a lush rainforest.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
What sort of industry, specifically, was this, may I ask? I

I used to make corporate videos, I did a few music videos as well. However I got sick of the amount of people wanting to be Jay Z or Beyonce with a £500 budget. I actually had this guy send me the Jay Z video On To The Next One as a reference for what he wanted to do; along with a massive script. I asked him his budget and he said £750, I told him that On To The Next One probably cost upwards of half a million dollars, and that for that money he should film it on his phone.

The problem with the industry is that it is the only one, whereby lots of people who aren't even amateurs, are completely exposed to high quality examples every day, when they watch TV and films. So to them, it's simple, you only notice sound when it's bad; you only notice editing when it's bad, therefore people just take it for granted, which means they take the people doing it for granted.

This isn't an absolute, but it was enough for me to lose all interest in the industry.

By the way something like Transformers will typically have a team of between 5 and 20 people working on the backgrounds, then they'll have maybe twice that working on characters. Then perhaps another 50-100 people working on various transitions, 3D, 2D cheats and what have you.

THEN, you'll have the render times, they may put out a five minute scene which takes a render farm, with a shit load of computing power, days to render; and after that, they probably spot a mistake which adds another 6 weeks to that scene. Then of course you have the editors, foley artists, etc, etc.

That's why Holywood film credits take about six or seven minutes at the end. :)

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Thank you!
I have not, but the imdb description looks mighty interesting- care to share your take on it before I dive in?
One of the best documentaries i've watched. Relevant to fastlane. Only 37mins long, so definitely worth checking out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.