The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing (probably asked before)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
I have been looking at sites such as made-in-china.com and was wondering how much effort and how risky is importing stuff from these sites in larger qtys and selling on eBay, etc.

I have no clue about this and am worried the prices when buying like 10 units of something such as a Android tablet there is profit going by what others are selling on eBay but it does not seem that high :/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
how much effort and how risky

Terrible questions.

If you are trying to avoid effort and risk, you need to seriously reconsider working for yourself.

Failures are the investments that entrepreneurs use to build success. Effort is the tool used to get to that success or failure.

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
Thanks, I realise this but there is no bad in doing a little asking around if anyone has experience in this and if its risky to the point these people may take your money and run although I am thinking now when the word PayPal is involved....
I do not know if its wrong but I want to start small and loose or win small before stepping up slowly and importing mass units of stock, if this is the thing that can make me profit. Also the effort part well that was a bad thing to say I guess just unsure at this stage starting out where to put my efforts as its hard finding my way into something but I am willing to work evening after work just want to be doing the right things.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If you're serious about this get an INSIDERS subscription. There is a legendary and epic thread now 40 pages long thats all about importing.

hotshot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 24, 2012
Ontario
There will always be some risk... that's why you start with a small order.

Check out the Legendary section of the forum... specifically the Addicted to Passive Income Deposits thread. Everything you need to know is in there.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You make the profit when you buy, what this means is finding the right product at the right price is the most important thing. Start shooting off emails on alibaba asking for prices and you may stumble upon a winner

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
99.9% of all questions you may have are answered in threads on the inside, which has already been said. I also back up on what JAJT said, there is gonna be a risk in everything. Importing takes a whole lot of effort to make sure things go over smoothly.

I've heard that looking for products such as "phones, tablets" and the like aren't worth importing because competition is so fierce. Try to find something that isn't in the US market yet.

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
Thanks guys, I am in the uk currently (the first thing I learned and got stung with was the extra foreign purchase fee from my bank to pay in usd). I am now having a little play with aliexpress and seeing what I can get/sell on. The second problem I have is postage costs and this makes me angry as I cannot see how all the big boys on this can sell for so cheaply, guessing they have a business deal with the postage companies.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I am now having a little play with aliexpress

You are dealing with the middleman here, you need to go to alibaba.com

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
You are dealing with the middleman here, you need to go to alibaba.com
Not true, aliexpress is just for smaller quantities.. they are both owned by the same company and do the same thing. Alibaba is b2b and offers larger MOQ for the most part and aliexpress is more b2c and offers smaller MOQs.. there is nothing wrong with starting at aliexpress

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Alibaba is b2b and offers larger MOQ for the most part and aliexpress is more b2c

You said it, Aliexpress is b2c. Full of middlemen selling goods to customers. Factories are not going to mess around selling individual items to customers. Although there are a few exceptions ofc

Oh and their postage takes 2-4 weeks mostly, I would not reccommend to start here. There are some great trading companies on alibaba if you want to import really small quantities

Here is an electronics wholeseller http://www.sunsky-online.com

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Ive used both sites, almost everyone on both are "middlemen" because its almost impossible to find the legit manufacturer of the given items.
The best bet is to find your budget and see how many of your product you can afford in that budget, if your budget is small you will likely be ordering from aliexpress to get started. After validating your idea when you start to have larger orders and are looking on alibaba I have no doubt you will see some of the same companies offering products on both sites.

With all that being said, while looking over both sites start a spreadsheet and include a link to each product page, the price and MOQ. Find 20-50 who offer the product you are interested in and message them to find the best price. Just keep everything very organized and it will help you a ton in the long haul.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys, I am in the uk currently

You're going to want to try to get into Amazon.com

The number of buyers from my understanding is exponentially larger. I'm in Canada and face the same issues but getting into .com was WELL worth it.

For the cost of shipping/duties - yeah, they suck. Factor it in. No way around it.

Get one thing working, THEN optimize. You'll never get everything perfect on the first run. Hell, you may even pay $500 for your first shipment, only find out you can sell them for $450, and then you've just paid $50 for a full course on importing 101. That's just about what my first deal looked like.

If you've read the threads on here and taken the advice to heart, you will never loose 100% of your money. Even a failure should bring you back close to 80-90% of it's cost.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You're going to want to try to get into Amazon.com

I would be interested in how to do this from the UK. Canada is very close to the US and connected by land, Uk is separated by the pacific and some nasty duties. I will search google to see how its done, see what they got.

Kerin

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
592%
Nov 12, 2013
Sydney
I'm from Australia and it doesn't stop me from using Amazon.com. Check out FBA - the will do all the shipping and Fulfilment for you from the States.

All you will need to do is ship them a bulk lot of your product and they'll take care of the rest.

My main customer base is in the US - I will be sending off my first shipment to FBA. At the moment I fulfill everything myself - Australia has one of the highest postage costs in the world. You need to just price this in. If you do your proper research and choose products that are in demand and fulfil a need then people are willing to pay for it.

And if then you still think it will be an issue then maybe start selling locally to get your feet wet. Whatever path you choose, don't wait. Just go out and do it.

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
Thanks guys some great advice here a little more than expected.
I am from the UK also tafy and yes its worrying as I have imported so much for myself before and been stung just once by tax but it still scares me as my product (trainers) was delayed and ended up being two months in total before arrival. Also our RoyalMail prices suck!
I was going to start with eBay as many do as its so easy then if I decided this is worth it try to move onto Amazon, etc and have a website on the side.
This is just a idea I have atm so will be nice if something comes of it but I know competition is crazy.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
This is just a idea I have atm so will be nice if something comes of it but I know competition is crazy.

It's very tough, nearly every product you look at has someone selling it at thin margins already on ebay. Keep looking!
You have to add value by branding something as your own, I havent done it but I know its what I have to do to succeed

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.