The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing goods process questions (:

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You guyssss I ordered my first samples of something from AliExpress!!! *Feels so accomplished already lol*

Even if it doesn't work I'm finally taking some action. I don't care! To be honest I just simply, truly, ran out of excuses, my financial independence can't wait no more. It is the only thing on my list I haven't achieved yet and everything in my life just yeeeells I need it. Anyway, while brainstorming products for the past week I actually made an impulse buy of something yesterday for myself and then it struck me like lightning: made some research, found it for wholesale on AliExpress and I think I have a chance at selling it too. Even if I don't, I've ordered 12 of them and I'm gonna try to sell them! I just rather fail and try another product that playing it in my head over and over. It needs to be real.

If it's of interest to anyone, this post had a lot to do with it: http://startupbros.com/launch-ecommerce-business-case-study/. @Tehcasa's Q&A on importing has also been a great starter ever since I stumbled upon it like a year ago (yes, took my time)

Cool .gif from the article~

Anyway, this progress thread I'm hoping to be not so much for accountability but to ask you guys any questions I have during my process that I can't find on other threads without spamming with new ones. Bit more organized. If it turns out right hopefully it will guide someone in the future as well.

Now for the first question that made me create this thread:
While I'm waiting for the samples to arrive, I should set up where/how to sell them...I've set up an email and a PayPal and now I'm wondering whether I should make like a Shopify page or just list it on Amazon.

My concerns are mainly: how does a Shopify page look for one product only? D: Also, saw three vendors on Amazon with my product BUT here's the catch: None of them have ANY reviews, and none of them are Prime eligible, and for some reason they have BARELY marked them up over the wholesale price. I don't know how long those have been there! So I wanna list it on Amazon myself with a better listing and promote the listing on Amazon as well, get reviews, etc.

I'm planning to advertise it on Facebook to my exchange students to see if the samples sell, I'm kinda confused where would be best to send them when they click a "buy now" link; an empty shopify store, or an Amazon listing? (It's $9/mo for a solo product on Shopify, its $40/mo on Amazon since it's an approval-required category)

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
BUT here's the catch: None of them have ANY reviews, and none of them are Prime eligible, and for some reason they have BARELY marked them up over the wholesale price.

The first part could be an indicator of no market demand.

The second part is likely an indicator that you're paying too much for your product. A good rule of thumb is to take the retail price and divide by 4. That's your target buying price.

I'm planning to advertise it on Facebook to my exchange students to see if the samples sell

Don't advertise to "your" exchange students. Find the same demographic that you don't know, and advertise to them. Unless your immediate network is worth 4-figures + in recurring revenue, then don't market to them. You'll get feedback that's tainted by them knowing you - instead of knowing what the market demands.

With all that said, congrats on taking action! Looking forward to this thread.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Interested in this thread as I want to go into Ecommerce.

The product you found, have you established relationships with the manufacturer? Are you branding the product as yours? Are you changing something about the product to make it yours? Do anyone hold patents on the product?

Personally, I love the idea of 1 product sites. JMHO

Stevie

The second part is likely an indicator that you're paying too much for your product. A good rule of thumb is to take the retail price and divide by 4. That's your target buying price.

Don't advertise to "your" exchange students. Find the same demographic that you don't know, and advertise to them. Unless your immediate network is worth 4-figures + in recurring revenue, then don't market to them. You'll get feedback that's tainted by them knowing you - instead of knowing what the market demands.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Thank you @AgainstAllOdds! Your threads on samples and your first shipment have also helped me a lot. Right now the retail price is $15-$17, I bought the product for $2.08 a piece. I know the product has demand, its just THIS particular listings of it.. how do I put it... Say I'm selling sunglasses, these have a particular flowery frame design that is trendy and chic (making this up). But it's sunglasses. These three vendors have this same flowery frame design I found.

Will definitely apply that to my marketing as well. Thanks for all the good tips.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
AMAZON FIRST ..lol ...read through my progress thread...then shopify...

Good to see your taking action!

Thanks, will look up your thread right now!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Interested in this thread as I want to go into Ecommerce.

The product you found, have you established relationships with the manufacturer? Are you branding the product as yours? Are you changing something about the product to make it yours? Do anyone hold patents on the product?

Personally, I love the idea of 1 product sites. JMHO

Stevie

Hey Stevie,

No, so far I've just placed a small order to see how it goes (I'm not sure if they are manufacturers, my guess is no). I'm not private labeling or branding it as mine. It's just a product within the accessories category that is very original, like a conversation starter piece I'd say. If I can buy and resell these for a profit I'll consider myself happy as I've never done any type of trading before, I want to see how the process works, and then move on to more complex things... Ideally yes I want to start an ecommerce of my own brand in order to make a product line and add value.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
AMAZON FIRST ..lol ...read through my progress thread...then shopify...

Good to see your taking action!

I had read this one! But I had not seen all the new updates. Definitely will be careful with my shipping, I won't list it until I have the samples on me...Were you paying the $40/mo or were you able to sell your particular product as an individual? Also, are you able to pause the product when you run out of inventory or are you supposed to calculate timing to make sure you have new inventory coming for new orders?

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
.Were you paying the $40/mo or were you able to sell your particular product as an individual? Also, are you able to pause the product when you run out of inventory or are you supposed to calculate timing to make sure you have new inventory coming for new orders?

40 a month version was a lot easier to work with...

You can list how many you have in stock and i would leave a couple out just in case for exchanges, and the scheming customers ect....i would order when ever you get close to single digits..around the 10-15 range

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
My 12 samples are here! I'm still a bit wary of whether to list them on Amazon or do a Shopify store... but you guys adviced Amazon so I'm gonna start there first. I hope I have some good news to update soon!

Edit: I seem to have trouble locating what's the UPC code for my product. Is this something the supplier has to provide me with?

Last edited:

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So basically it looks like I'm being forced to use the ASIN/UPC the other seller is using, but if I do that and list it on the same product detail page then it's not my own listing, it's "another offer" of that product, and it doesn't let me change title, description or anything of the kind. At least it that's what it seems. Is that how it works?

I want to optimize the listing, the other one is BAD.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
YOU HAVE TO BUY UPCS for amazon to create your own listing. Otherwise you would just be piggybacking off someone else post in which they can order from you and have amazon remove it if it doesnt match exactly what they are selling

Super important.

I did the same and had to delete my stock, relabel everything and resend to Amazon warehouse for this reason. Costed me some cash, lots of time and a huge amount of frustration with seller service.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
So basically it looks like I'm being forced to use the ASIN/UPC the other seller is using, but if I do that and list it on the same product detail page then it's not my own listing, it's "another offer" of that product, and it doesn't let me change title, description or anything of the kind. At least it that's what it seems. Is that how it works?

I want to optimize the listing, the other one is BAD.

You buy UPC numbers here: https://www.nationwidebarcode.com/

Use one of those numbers to create a new product page.

No, you don't want to optimize their listing, they are your competition.

Also, I don't see this product or strategy being all that long-term. If your product is so identical that you can list on someone elses product page, and they are selling barely above wholesale price, and this can be ordered straight from Ali Express... then anyone who knows nothing about selling on Amazon (like you) could jump on and sell it.

Do it, figure out how everything on Amazon works, and then get serious on how to make your product better than what's out there.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You buy UPC numbers here: https://www.nationwidebarcode.com/

Use one of those numbers to create a new product page.

No, you don't want to optimize their listing, they are your competition.

Also, I don't see this product or strategy being all that long-term. If your product is so identical that you can list on someone elses product page, and they are selling barely above wholesale price, and this can be ordered straight from Ali Express... then anyone who knows nothing about selling on Amazon (like you) could jump on and sell it.

Do it, figure out how everything on Amazon works, and then get serious on how to make your product better than what's out there.

Thank you all. Gotcha. Yes, that's the main idea. I finally took some action and really dipping my toes in the water rather than "learning it". But I'm very clear that this isn't the end plan at all.

You guys are awesome. I'll get the codes and post as soon as I have some news. :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Well just for an update, I haven't been able to list the products successfully yet. I keep listing them and they never appear. My first attempt was successful but when I realized I had picked the wrong category I panicked and just bought more UPCs to be able to list them again (because I deleted all the listings but it wouldn't let me re-use the UPCs). I got approved to sell in my correct category and ever since then the products just don't show. I list them and they never appear, even after 24hs. YAYYY.

By the way the people on Amazon's seller central customer service are VERY AWKWARD.

So yeah, I'm still trying.

samsig03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jun 8, 2016
Houston, TX
Congrats on getting started! We have all been there and still grinding. What you will learn from actually doing will be 10X compared to all the research/reading.

I have a background in Shopfiy so I will just speak to it. Shopify I think is the best. Not perfect, but the ease of use and allowing you to sell on Facebook and other channels is great. Apps aren't bad either. I have tried to use other avenues, but always come back to Shopfiy. Since it is a one product site, I recommend learning SEO techniques and stay on top of your competitors on price and placement.

I see that you are sourcing your own products and carrying inventory. Have you ever thought about drop shipping? Use the same techniques to identify the product, promote etc, but instead of carrying inventory have the supplier do the shipping? Yes you lose your price advantage (unless you reach the wholesale threshold) but it gives you so much more time to sell and promote and look for more products. Maybe this go around is perfect learning and who knows may lead to much success. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Jeremy
Owner of an ecommerce website with 12,000 + products (drop shipped)

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Congrats on getting started! We have all been there and still grinding. What you will learn from actually doing will be 10X compared to all the research/reading.

I have a background in Shopfiy so I will just speak to it. Shopify I think is the best. Not perfect, but the ease of use and allowing you to sell on Facebook and other channels is great. Apps aren't bad either. I have tried to use other avenues, but always come back to Shopfiy. Since it is a one product site, I recommend learning SEO techniques and stay on top of your competitors on price and placement.

I see that you are sourcing your own products and carrying inventory. Have you ever thought about drop shipping? Use the same techniques to identify the product, promote etc, but instead of carrying inventory have the supplier do the shipping? Yes you lose your price advantage (unless you reach the wholesale threshold) but it gives you so much more time to sell and promote and look for more products. Maybe this go around is perfect learning and who knows may lead to much success. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy! Shopify does seem very convenient. Right now I'm thinking this product isn't good enough, but it is good enough to help me go through the process for the first time and learning the ropes. I need to find a better product. I have a few ideas I need to look into. Eventually yes I'd love to drop ship and not worry about that. I'm all in for things that save me time in exchange for a reasonable slice of the pie...

ljb7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Jun 7, 2014
To touch on what @amp0193 wrote above, about creating something unique.. This is the most important thing. Especially now with Amazon, where the marketplace is getting flooded with copycats every single day.

I spent a long time chasing competitors with very similar products and only when I started doing things differently did I start seeing real success.

I get that you're just get started but keep this in mind at all times.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX

Jeremy

All your traffic come from just SEO?

samsig03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jun 8, 2016
Houston, TX
All your traffic come from just SEO?

Oh no, not just from SEO. I have social media content I post daily, a blog, newsletter, sales calls and partnerships. My business model is a little different than just selling products on my online store. I offered the SEO suggestion because I am not sure of what product she is selling so I can't say that all these strategies relate or would work in her case. Probably would to an extent, but may not be worth the time if the product is not a homerun.

Faithlaine

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

I don't want to alarm you, but I was on Ebay checking on UPC and one of the seller wrote on his listing :
"Warning: Amazon will delete listings with fake codes".
I don't know if it's true.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
To touch on what @amp0193 wrote above, about creating something unique.. This is the most important thing. Especially now with Amazon, where the marketplace is getting flooded with copycats every single day.

I spent a long time chasing competitors with very similar products and only when I started doing things differently did I start seeing real success.

I get that you're just get started but keep this in mind at all times.

Will do! Thank you!

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hi,

I don't want to alarm you, but I was on Ebay checking on UPC and one of the seller wrote on his listing :
"Warning: Amazon will delete listings with fake codes".
I don't know if it's true.

Thanks for the recommendation! No need to worry, I bought mine fair and square :D

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Ok. Well, two more sellers just jumped in my product, haven't been able to sell the first 10 yet and it's been a week. Shows too far back on the page count and like I said those dudes are selling them almost at cost, not sure why. Feel a bit of a failure but I'm reminding myself this was an experiment. I'm switching to Shopify and will try to sell it thru Facebook to my niche and see what happens...

On a second note I kinda revived an old idea for a product I could manufacture if I figure out the process... I feel all over the place but I'm starting to feel ill never make it. x_x

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Ok. Well, two more sellers just jumped in my product, haven't been able to sell the first 10 yet and it's been a week. Shows too far back on the page count and like I said those dudes are selling them almost at cost, not sure why. Feel a bit of a failure but I'm reminding myself this was an experiment. I'm switching to Shopify and will try to sell it thru Facebook to my niche and see what happens...

On a second note I kinda revived an old idea for a product I could manufacture if I figure out the process... I feel all over the place but I'm starting to feel ill never make it. x_x

They may have been able to acquire it at a cheaper cost.
or selling cheap to get good reviews and move up in rank?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
They may have been able to acquire it at a cheaper cost.
or selling cheap to get good reviews and move up in rank?

Good point...

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Feel a bit of a failure but I'm reminding myself this was an experiment.

It's a process.

• Try
  • Fail
  • Learn
  • Improve
  • Repeat
  • Succeed
And it's only a real failure if you don't take feedback. Keep going. Maybe this won't be a winner, but something eventually will be.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.