The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Implementing Covey's 7 Habits - progress thread

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I was having a discussion with a mentor of mine earlier this week. He’s a person I look up to in a lot of ways, most of all is his ability to manage other people, which is something I’ve been struggling to develop. I am not a good manager of others. His criticism was that I haven’t truly learned how to manage myself yet. He went into great details in his observations about me, and it was like looking into a ghastly but accurate mirror. He recommended I read and implement Steven Covey’s 7 habits as a starting point. I’m pretty skeptical of self help type stuff, but given my level of respect for this man decided to just stfu and follow directions. I’ve made it a little over half way through the book in the last 3 days, and I’ve decided to make it into a log,… that is a progress thread of the implementation process of the 7 habits into my life.

It’s a coincidence that it’s also the New Year, and I have never done a NY resolution, but I suppose you could call it a NY resolution if the timing is too coincidental for you.

Will post first update either later tonight or in the AM, and as always, appreciative of any observations/insights/criticisms from the forum dwellers.

-G Man

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
I was having a discussion with a mentor of mine earlier this week. He’s a person I look up to in a lot of ways, most of all is his ability to manage other people, which is something I’ve been struggling to develop. I am not a good manager of others. His criticism was that I haven’t truly learned how to manage myself yet. He went into great details in his observations about me, and it was like looking into a ghastly but accurate mirror. He recommended I read and implement Steven Covey’s 7 habits as a starting point. I’m pretty skeptical of self help type stuff, but given my level of respect for this man decided to just stfu and follow directions. I’ve made it a little over half way through the book in the last 3 days, and I’ve decided to make it into a log,… that is a progress thread of the implementation process of the 7 habits into my life.

It’s a coincidence that it’s also the New Year, and I have never done a NY resolution, but I suppose you could call it a NY resolution if the timing is too coincidental for you.

Will post first update either later tonight or in the AM, and as always, appreciative of any observations/insights/criticisms from the forum dwellers.

-G Man

Covey definitely puts out some great work!

This is how I attempt to implement all of the seven

BE PROACTIVE-

1.) I like to think of this with the analogy of "Tetris" but in a sense of someone else is playing against you and if you slack off you'll get a wall of lazy that will collapse on you.

BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND-

2.) If you've ever read "The 1 page Marketing plan" By Allan Dib. He has you write how each little thing you do will assist you in the end result, I like to ask myself if what I'm doing in the moment is aiding my end game or not

PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST

3.) God bless the 80/20 rule and HOW TRUE IT IS! (In case you may not know, it's the belief that 80 percent of your results come from 20 percent of your effort) I like to think out the simplest steps on paper and apply this to them!

These are my favorite rules by Covey!

Can't wait to hear how you incorporate yours!

Cheers!- Grayson. J

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Decided to use creating a personal mission statement as the starting point, which is from Habit 2 - first things first.

Basically, the task is to think through the kind of person you want to be, then the things you want to accomplish, then the things you want to have.

The goal is to then direct your behaviors through the lens of those things. Covey describes it as self management starting with self leadership, which is something I've never thought of before.

After a couple hours, I'm only about halfway through draft one, but much like the ethos of TMFL, covey emphasizes that the point is to focus on the process. One thing I've learned about myself: I have super long "I want to be" and "I want to do" lists. The only thing on my "I want to have" list is enough money that I have free time to do the things on my "want to do" list, so I'm seeing how fastlaning my source of income fits into all of this.

At the end of the process is a personal mission statement, which I suppose you print onto one of these posters :D

wick_motivation.jpg

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I've gotten through the worksheet for drafting a mission statement to the point where I have to actually write statement in a coherent sentence format. It's a very eye opening process that made me think through a lot of things, and I've already started to discover some of my key weaknesses in managing others,... now only the gargantuan task of changing behaviors I've subconsciously developed over a period of years.

I've attached a guide sheet I found on the interwebs for anyone interested in going through the process for themselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• mission-statement-worksheet_stephen_covey.doc
    43.5 KB · Views: 11

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads