The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm worried about the real estate market right now

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Maybe he's happy making semi-passive income and enjoys the work. Not everyone wants to run a "doubling every year" business especially if they're older.
And then there's this: Where else can I invest my money and have the same NOI (net operating income)? Interest rates are so low that it's almost impossible to make money work to create cash flow. Yes, I could open another business. But, that's a young girl's game -- been there, done that. I know my assets. I know my tenants. I'm in control of my income. Yes, at times it's inconvenient, but being broke would sure be worse.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Are you putting your ecommerce profits into the real estate? I'm assuming yes because you have 50% equity in your new purchases?

No, not yet. Ive been doubling down on my inventory. My only ecommerce draw would be if I end up buying this warehouse.

My equity has balanced out because I live in one of the fastest growing cities in the country and bought years ago.. we have a massive supply problem which is causing crazy "appreciation"

Duplex i bought for 155 is worth 450 now. sold another one for 560k last week that I bought for 270k

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My fears for the real estate market were well-founded. The only segment that is apparently booming is the single-family house market in most areas of the USA. Conversely, rents are reportedly falling in New York City and some other major cities.

Several segments of the commercial markets are falling apart. I recently read about a company that shorted bonds that were primarily secured by shopping mall property debts. That company cashed in their short positions and made a 2 billion dollars payday. What are the local governments going to figure out to do with those failed properties? How are they going to plan the land use and zoning? How many are going to end up in foreclosure sales and/or tax sales?

And then there are all of those commercial properties damaged in all of those inner-city riots this last summer. I experience the Rodney King riot in Los Angeles all those years ago. Those neighborhoods have never fully recovered.

How are local governments going to make up the lost sales tax and property tax revenues?

And, here's the big question -- what's going to happen when the restriction on evictions and foreclosures is lifted???? How many of those back rents and payments are going to come due in full... all at the same time... How many landlords have back property payments tied to the rents due to them? Will the landlords be treated differently from the tenants? The government just extended the restriction for another month. When is it going to be over? Is the fat lady going to sing?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
In terms of residential real estate, it seems like inflation, cheap money, and supply problems are causing the market to explode to the upside. I just looked at a new build in the Park City area (Utah) and the builder confirmed what I was seeing visually with prices... the cost to build (labor + materials) is skyrocketing -- and it is causing prices to go up, literally monthly.

A house that I considered for $3M was gone in four days. If it survives the market for two weeks, next month the price goes up $3,250,000.

I've never seen anything like it.

@snowbank and I met with a builder on Wednesday in Sedona. He said that just getting an architect to draw up plans for you will take 6 months. They are so behind with everyone wanting to build a house. Then getting permits through the city is backlogged too. He said probably one year to break ground and another year to finish. On top of that lumber prices are super high now.

Also the contractor that did my 2018 remodel in Scottsdale told me he’s booked until end of 2022. I was surprised people would wait that long for a remodel, but he said they are usually second/vacation homes so it really means they just miss out on one winter here.

I can’t believe rates are so low. People can afford so much more house right now!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
sorry for replying with no experience,
isn't it boom before burst?

I have read somewhere(Now I am unable to find it again), real estate crash later as it takes time to buy or sell a property so the 2008 crash impacted brought down the price of real estate in 2011. (in us)

there might be my bias here as I am looking for a real estate crash so I could buy my first property in USA.

again, I am coming from a place of inexperience. you guys are much wiser than me.
Yes, it's one cycle after another. But, trying to predict and act on those peaks and valleys will make you crazy and keep you broke.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK @JScott thoughts on what happens to SFR real estate prices once interest rates rise? Specifically curious about Los Angeles which has a perpetual housing shortage... Do you think they'll "crash", dip just a bit, level off... or even continue to rise?
I was in the Los Angeles housing market for 30 years. I saw it crash and burn more than once during those years. In 1979, housing interest rates were 12 1/2 %. Then in 1980, they went to 21% - 22% just about overnight. It was to curb runaway inflation. Talk about the housing market coming to a complete stop!

There are other factors that have put the brakes on that market -- riots, earthquakes, etc.

The only reason the prices could run-up so far this time is because of the very low-interest rates, which have distorted the normal market forces -- since Wall Street, institutions, and the secondary market took over financing for RE. That take-over happened in the 1990s when the Savings & Loan and the Thrift industries crashed and burned. Another one of those "got-ya" moments in the housing market and commercial market that lasted a decade.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Third, for most loans, if you're current on your payments, the bank CANNOT just foreclose or force you to pay off the loan. The standard mortgage contract/promissory note does not allow for the lender to accelerate payments for any reason other than default.
That's true for single-family homes and small units. I have seen banks make borrowers pay down commercial loans for commercial properties and multi-family units when the market values fell. It depends on what kind of loan you're talking about.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I knew I was concerned. Today's news says that the Feds are too...

"The Federal Reserve warned of significant risks of business bankruptcies and steep drops in commercial real estate prices in a report published on Friday.
'Business leverage now stands near historical highs,” the central bank said in its semi-annual Monetary Policy Report to Congress. “Insolvency risks at small and medium-sized firms, as well as at some large firms, remain considerable.'”

Correction: the Feds report was present to Congress and dated February 19th. It came out in one of my journals today.

Last edited:

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Only specific types of companies CAN go online.

If you broaden your perspective to the whole economy, you will see what I mean.

I can't build you a new roof over a Zoom call, for example. You also can't refine oil digitally, or extrude plastic with remote workers.
I know a lot of service businesses cant go digital, But I'm mainly talking about retail. The market is not growing, there will always be brick and mortar businesses, but right now the most commercial buildings being built are warehouses, because all these online companies need places to store their products. I believe we are in the transition between physical and digital. All the businesses that can go online; will.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Prediction:

Scare people out of big cities (Done)
Make them move outside (Happening as of now)
Make cities and owners struggle and lower prices of RE (Near future)
Anyone who has cash, buy everything they can at bargain prices (Mid term future)
People realize that its major PITA to work remotely and go back to big cities (Mid-Long term)
Those who bought the dip profit as landlords or sellers of RE (End outcome)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
From Axios:

"Existing-home sales fell 6.6% in February from the previous month, but sales are still 9.1% higher than last year, per the National Association of Realtors.

By the numbers: Despite sales falling to a six-month low, the median existing-home sales price rose to $313,000, 15.8% higher than February 2020, with all regions posting double-digit price gains".

Read the article here: U.S. home sales decline but prices still rise double digits
The SFR market is booming -- but for how long???? Higher taxes? IF the job growth stalls? -- those factors will affect housing sales down the line. Also, some of the cities and states (such as California) are having an exodus of citizens. Prices are all about supply and demand.
The segments of the market we're talking about are commercial, office, malls, and retail. For years those markets were the cornerstone of most bigger investor's RE and securities portfolios. That investor group especially included institutional players such as insurance companies. The NOI (net operating income) on this class of properties was considered the most reliable of all RE investments. Most tenants were rated national credit class and the leases were usually triple net, going out for many years. Therefore, the expected return $4$ was less than on the more volatile classes of RE -- but, that cash flow was like having money in the bank. We've gone from that truism to a huge question mark and a bunch of vacancies.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I'm getting ready to chase foreclosures again. Biden has extended the national hold on foreclosures for federally insured loans to June 30th. That's a year and a half of backed-up defaults. If even a fraction of those defaulted loans go to foreclosure after that hold is over -- just think of the volume we'll see.
(In the meantime, privately held trust deeds are still being processed through the foreclosure system. )

Here's another market that is going to be drastically affected -- the multi-family residential segment. That's both small units and apartment buildings. No one has been allowed to evict tenants for failing to pay their rent. They just had to sign a form without proving that their declaration is true. They have no burden of proof in this moratorium. Again, there is a year and a half of backlog of cases that will be filed. When people are forced to move, those building owners have a huge burden. What a mess and a bucket full of expense. There's the cost of carrying the property over the last year and a half, the cost of the eviction, and then the cost of the turn-over to get ready and find a new tenant. Yes, there were programs to pay back rent. BUT, many people still owe rent which will result in evictions.

About the office market in New York... I spoke to a man who was on vacation here in Alaska. He was here after being laid off from his union job. After 37 years of maintaining the HVAC (heating and air-conditioning system) in a high-rise building in New York City, he's unemployed. The building, which has about 100 floors, is vacant. That's pretty scary.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
and, if you loaned money to pay for the house, now you have more purchasing power to pay it off (figuring that you have a business and your selling price is going up equal to the inflation rate/purchasing power rate... yay :)
Yes, that is true. BUT, many of the people who lost their homes in 2008 were middle, upward mobile people who had overreached on their housing purchases. And then there were no-paper purchasers and sub-prime people who were counting on the housing market continuing to appreciate -- not crash. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

17thgreem

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Oct 3, 2021
I'm worried right now about what is going to happen in our real estate markets in the immedate future. There are some segments that may be, or are, in troublesome.

Several segments in the commercial market are stressed. Properties used for retail sales, the mall properties, and the office space market are having huge problems with vacancies, loan & rental defaults and potential foreclosures. These problems were already trends that have been blown up with the lock-downs due to the virus.

Another market that is suffering is people who have Airbnb rentals and vacation rental properties. I received an email from Airbnb today that they are planning to go public. They are adjusting their rules. Again. In the meantime, there are many people who built mini empires based upon Airbnb rentals. The stories usually involve people taking on massive debts, long term leases, and/or making heavy investment to create short term rental income streams. I was reading yesterday about people who can't pay their rent or payments on many of these properties.They are unsuccessfully trying to sell the properties or hang on.

(As I was reading about their Airbnb woes, I thought about how these investor's business model is similar to people who built e-businesses on other people's platforms. It's a pretty slippery slope for the long haul. I was feeling grateful that I only have a couple of sleeping rooms & summer RV spaces listed with that platform. My life is not dependent on the income from them.)

Another market that is starting to show some stress cracks is the multi-family residential market (apartments). Over the last few years the watch words have been OPM (oher people's money). That is a business model using as much debt as possible to buy as many units as possible. I have friends who have refinanced the minute that they had any equity in their buildings. They would use the loan proceeds to go buy more residential units. The problem with this type of agressive investing is that these loans are commercial loans that are subject to different rules compared to single-family homes and small residential unit (2 - 4 units). If the market value of these apartment buildings drops, the bank can call for the owner to pay down these loans to bring them into conformance. And those rules can tighten as the market retracts. (I remember when those loan calls happened to a lot of people around 1990 and they ended up losing their properties.)

So, I'm going to be sitting on the sidelines to wait and see what happens -- no new investments. If the real estate market starts to slide, it normal leaves no man standing. It cascades throughout the different RE segments one after another. If the dominos start falling, cash will be king. Sure, I may miss out on a few deals while hold my cards close to my chest. That's OK. I will survive to invest another day.

I am a commercial real estate broker and land developer that up until recently focused heavily in the Industrial sector (warehouse) and have some thought that may be interested to hear. Lots of individuals in my business speicalIze or essentially pigeon hole themselves into one asset class (office space tenant rep, retail Landlord rep, industrial investment, etc, etc. While it is a highly complex business, nothing like residential RE in the slightest, I was taught by my mentor, type of guy who has moved absolute mountains at age 39, that the best in the biz are able to somewhat effectively keep an eye on multiple balls at once, so I’ve done just that with a focus for the last three or so years on industrial investment sales and leasing. Over that span I did roughly $35 million in total volume transacted, with maybe 25% coming from land deals, retail leases/sales, office development from raw pads to sale.

Well as of the last six months I’ve completely reworked my entire approach and focus as to how I am going about the business. I like to think I read the tea leaves ahead of time and took a risk and moved further out from suburb type market industrial deals to smaller rural communities on major thoroughfares within one hour or so drive to the major hub.

As far as deals, I am doing exclusively land development with an emphasis on residential density developments primarily in the 1500 - 2000 sf range. I work with large local and some national builders as far as site selection and that trend is playing out to a tee with them as well. A.) I can take advantage of lack of savvy players/agents not having a good feel for valuation regarding current acreage and pricing. B.) Mass exodus from the cities will continue (fyi - homes with acreage was the no. 1 request in 2020).

We will inevitably get a rate hike, which will slow the market, but a large void has to be filled with plenty of runway, at least in the south. Btw my partner and I who is a GC are actually putting our money where our mouth is and have a 74 acre tract under contract in a small and very quaint hallmark type town. Currently taking through rezoning, but have a contract being prepared to purchase from us for a pretty penny on the zoning contingency being met.

Moral of the story, they don’t make anymore land, but just like anything else, you make your money when you buy.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There will be a flood of foreclosures hitting the auctions around next summer once eviction moratoriums are lifted and the backlog of foreclosures comes through the pipeline.

I don't want to invest in much real estate. I believe it's too efficient of a market
Explain what you mean by "too efficient of a market". I understand, but it probably a new concept for a lot of people.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I think commercial RE is bubble forming (or already formed).
I can't count how many buildings were built in past 5 years around place i live
that supposed to be office-for-rent type buildings.

In hindsight it's pretty obvious - anything that promises easy and safe profits
will become bubble.
It's slightly educated guess but there is big surplus of investors cash and they build wherever is land is available.
Since residential market bubble burst is still fresh in investors minds, they invest in commercial.

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
I was looking at real estate the other day. There are a couple interesting factors I found. The supply is around 3.6 months for new constructions(the standard is 6 months) so demand is incredibly high.

The median household income has also reached a historical high for Americans accounting for inflation. It usually hovered around 55k and it’s up to 60ish in 2020. And homes are selling for just about as high as they reached before the last crash.

im not quite sure what to think of it all, but something has to give eventually.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Everybody knows about it. It's too expensive to be overlooked. It lacks creativity and there are too many restraints. All of these things come together to drastically limit your upside.

I own a service business. My employee costs $17 an hour. I sell his work for what equates to roughly $170 an hour. I will never buy a house and then immediately sell it for 10 times what it's worth. If you do then you have found the deal of a lifetime. I am not out here looking for the deal of a lifetime. I'm looking for a deal I can make every single day, and at a giant return.

When I say it is too efficient, I mean that the competition in the marketplace has ensured that there is little profit (in my opinion). For people who lack the ability to grow a business, or don't want to run a business, and are comfortable with only making a few million dollars, I would suggest real estate.

For those that want to build something that brings in exponentially larger returns, with arguably less work, in a more scalable way, I suggest a business. Even when it comes to passive investments. (passive investments won't return an exponentially larger return but an active business will)

For example, before I ever become a landlord, I will start a classic car leasing company. I can expect to receive a passive 15+% return backed by assets. All because I chose to be in a less efficient market and add some value instead of doing what hundreds of thousands of other people are doing (or trying to do) in real estate.

a little off topic but just my opinion. ^
An efficient market is one where the varies are already factored into the price of that asset. You're right. The RE market is a lot more efficient than your business.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
not everything is as sad as you say, of course, over the past year the real estate market has shrunk - especially during quarantine, no new houses were built at all - but as for me it's time to invest in houses in Miami - warm - sun - sea - good weather, that's what always will be in vogue. You need to invest now while everything falls and for the quarantine - since the quarantine will end soon and you will only be in the black
Yes, the residential markets in many areas have held up... so far... And the problems that I detailed are not "sad". They are part of a cycle noting changes in people's lifestyles.

The retail space market has gone through a lot of changes. In the 1960s, downtown areas were challenged by the shopping malls. Downtown areas became ghost towns. Then, by the end of the century, the mall fell out of vogue. They started to struggle and the emphasis went to neighborhood strip centers and downtown areas started to be revived. Now, with online shopping and the virus, all parts of the retail space commercial markets are in trouble.

The office market, especially in big cities, is another one to watch. The virus has shown people that they can work remotely. Many companies are rethinking their need for office space. The idea of corporate space down-sizing has many further implications. It's already starting to cause downward rent slides in the residential properties markets. People are moving out of the cities and opting for less expensive housing in smaller communities. Fewer people in an area means that commercial properties in the area have a declining demand. Less demand for space in the cities means lower RE incomes -- resulting in lower RE values across the board -- which translates into a smaller tax base in areas that have the heaviest tax burdens. The longer that the lock-downs lasts, the more entrenched these trends will become.

Like a wise man said, "The only thing that you can count on in life is change." Watching the changes in the different RE markets is the mark of a prudent investor.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
People are moving out of the cities and opting for less expensive housing in smaller communities.
Heard radio interview with re agent, who said exactly same thing, recently.
Basically, for price of rather small property in center of the city one can buy new, 2-3 times bigger house, one driving hour from the city.
Ofc, if someone wants something 3 times cheaper instead of 3 times bigger then there are no obstacles.

Covid made living in the city basically unbearable for many.
Additionally, people who will buy or have bought such houses recently won't come back right away.
They probably stay there till they'll pay off mortgage before they'll consider moving back to city.

Last edited:
D

Deleted78083

I didn't read the entire thread, but here's my take on RE.

1. RE is overvalued in many different markets due to the ridiculously low interest rate ongoing since 2008. However, this is not enough to create a bubble. To have one, actual demand should be lower than estimated demand. The question we should be asking is therefore: will people need more space, or less in the future?

One way to look at this is to look at the demographic pyramid (and immigration number). As long as a country's population is growing, RE is a sure investment. If you have more and more people, you will need more and more homes.

Since the West is about to have much less people than it was used to, RE is doomed to lose value over the really long-term (50 years or so).

The second way to look at it is the Internet: if the online trend perseveres, it is obvious that there will be fewer need for commercial RE.

2. Not everything is overvalued because not everything has the same demand: it all depends on the location. There will be places that will always have demand (city centers of student cities), just like there will be places whose demand depends on trends, economic growth, etc.

3. I hardly see how RE can be a fastlane strategy. To me, it's similar to the stock market: you invest in it once you became rich, not to become rich, unless you decide to contract a mountain of debt. But even then, you'd better buy a small company and grow it instead of investing into RE. RE is slow to repay itself because let's be honest, it's pretty chilled. You don't do much besides owning the place.

When you rent out a house for 4, it will always be a house for 4. However you manage it, you can't scale the value of your asset.

4. RE is not efficient AT ALL.

In Belgium, you can buy RE in some places for a price approximately 40% lower than in Brussels, and subsequently rent it out to students at a price approximately 20% lower than you would in Brussels, so the ROI is much better than in Brussels. It's been like that for 6-7 years now.

In Bruges, prices per sq/m are 3x what they are in Brussels, and yet, the rent is..50% cheaper. Go figure this out.

I actually think RE is the least efficient of all markets. When I look at prices, it always seems undervalued, or overvalued.

Oil is efficient. So efficient that when there is too much of it, producers will pay you to get it.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I do believe there is a coming recession, and real estate will be included in it. However, there are a few things to note (in my opinion):
  1. Real estate tends to lag significantly behind the economy- 2008/9 was the bottom of the economy last time, but real estate prices didn't hit their low points until 2010/11.
  2. Given the government protections on evictions/PPP/stimulus and how much the banks don't want to end up with the assets like they did the last go around, the drop will be further postponed/stretched out. What the heck is a bank going to do with a vacant hotel or shopping center?
  3. Real estate performance will vary drastically by market and submarket. Remember 2008, when Texas pretty much didn't have a recession? We'll see similar things happen in areas where there is continued growth. While the tourism industry and business travel has hit the Carolinas (where I am), this area will fare far better than the Northeast or West Coast.
  4. It will heavily vary by asset class. Hospitality & retail of course are getting hit, but multifamily and industrial are holding up well. Here, we can't get enough warehouse space, with all of the reshoring and e-commerce booming.
So I am a firm believer that there are ways to smartly invest, and it depends what your time horizon is. In this marketplace, prices could go down in the next 2-3 years, but if you're looking at 5-10+, it's a completely different story.
The recession in the 1990s took down the entire Savings and Loan Associations and the Thrift industry. It took the whole decade to absorb the extra RE inventory and for the RE market to right itself again. the secondary market and Wall Street took over financing our RE deals. I hope this moment is nothing like that one. That one hurt us investors and RE professionals like hell.

Sendery

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 21, 2020
Define soon. A downturn or collapse is always coming. It could be a few months or a few years or even a deceade away. no one can do anyhting but guess when it will come, but anyone can accurately say it is coming. If anyone would predict when with any accuracy, they would be Billionaires.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Define soon. A downturn or collapse is always coming. It could be a few months or a few years or even a deceade away. no one can do anyhting but guess when it will come, but anyone can accurately say it is coming. If anyone would predict when with any accuracy, they would be Billionaires.
Actually, they are cycles that occur regularly. I've been through several over the years. They are trackable. I don't know the exact moment they will happen, but I know when things are getting overheated or going sideways. The wild card is an unforeseen event, like this virus shutdowns. But, the underlying issues were already festering in the commercial RE markets. Those wild cards are generally a tipping point, not a determinate.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
IMO (in Canada at least), interest rates are likely the top reason keeping the market afloat. They are historically low.

As an example, last year in April I bought a place and had a discounted rate (good connection with the bank) at 3.54% 5 year fixed, I think it was around 3.35% for variable. There were still some good deals to be had (got a great deal on the place I bought).

After I bought, rates started plummeting, and as of a day or two ago, one bank (HSBC) just announced a .99% variable rate mortgage. Even the 5yr fixed is around 1.34% I believe. Many other lenders in the 1.5% 5 year fixed range.
In my mind, the low rates are a two-edged sword. They can get a person into a property that can be wonderful for the investor. (When I started in 1976, SFR interest rates were 9.5%.) On the other hand, it's a way to control the investor by keeping him in debt forever. Those debts and their resulting payments become the velvet handcuffs that are a backdoor to controlling the RE housing market.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Also, if you invest in some startup there is very low chance of getting money back.
If you buy property and its not bringing money at least you can take hit of say 20% and sell it to someone below market price.

Some might argue that stock market is always going up, in enough long perspective (like 30 years) and it's good investment.
But i remember one person saying that, yes its true that index funds go up on average, but only when you have balls to not sell them at market crash (the dip) and even if you won't sell you'll still have to wait another 5 or so years to break-even.
I've tried some side investment and I haven't won the brass ring yet. They have consistently lost my investment nut.

In fact, the stock I own in a major mining project just went down today. Again. Will they build out the project? I don't know. Now I must decide IF I should sell or continue to gamble.

I know real estate. Yes, it is a pain in the #@%* at times. Yes, it does take constant monitoring and work. BUT, the first of the month just came and I'm going to the bank again today to make another deposit.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This. Don’t even get me started on my rant about the covid situation combined with PPP loans.
I agree. It's going to be bad when the secondary market and Wall Street can start foreclosing or collecting on all these commercial loans that are in default and forbearance. I read that the plan is to segment the back payments into an additional amount that will be added to the regular payments. Yikes! And then there are the tenants who haven't been paying their rents. When allowed, the RE owners will need to evict them -- an expensive and long process. A lot of them are going to fight like hell to continue to live rent-free. It's really hard to get someone to pay who hasn't been paying... or even get them to admit that they owe the back rent and late charges. Then the owners must get those vacant units ready to rent -- which is also going to add to the crushing burden that is being faced by the owners. What happens if they are heavily leveraged and have a thin profit margin? Then those tenants who are evicted are going to have both a record of the eviction and judgment against them -- making it almost impossible for them to find different housing. If that pool of undesirable tenants is large enough, it could hurt the number of qualified tenants -- which can push up the vacancy rate for the RE owners -- further complicating any recovery. The dark clouds for the commercial RE market are gathering into a self-feeding storm.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.