The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm not lazy, I'm short on time. Someday I'll be dead.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Today I decided to commit to a Fastlane business. I decided to "Choose my mountain" as the late Felix Dennis put it. For fun, I'll document my journey here, but the main reason I'm posting here is that I want some advice. Before I ask for advice, though, I'll offer some:

If you haven't chosen a Fastlane yet, choose one today. Why today? Several reasons:

1. If your idea is a failure, you will still learn from it.
2. The only thing holding you back is fear. Face it.
3. You'll never find that 'perfect idea'.
4. You aren't rich yet, and you aren't immortal, either. The clock is ticking, and you can't afford to be too picky.

Anyway.

Here's how I chose my Fastlane, step by step.

1. I did a few searches of the largest, fastest growing, and most profitable industries in America and worldwide. I made a large list of them.

2. I crossed off every industry I had absolutely no interest in. This left most of the list intact, unfortunately.

3. I decided to take the largest, most profitable, most obviously growing industries that I was most interested in. Good enough for me.

4. Within those industries, I started writing out a list of solutions to needs I was aware of. When I wrote down #5, I stopped the search. No, it's not the greatest idea ever. Nor is it very original. But I saw it, and I said: "I can do that, and I can make money doing it, and it fits the proper criteria." The End.

Moral of that story is: "Ideas are a dime a dozen, focus on execution".

So, here I am, with my idea. Then, I wrote down one of those old execution plans. You know:

Step 1. Get great idea
Step 2. ????
Step 3. Profit!

Except my list looks like this:

Step 1. Get great idea
Step 2. Do this thing.
Step 3. Then do this thing.
Step 4. Then do this thing.
Step 5. Then do that.....

And so on and so forth. I think Profit comes in at step 15 or so.

Okay, you've had your advice. Now it's my turn.

My idea involves the internet, and programming, and all the fun stuff that involves. Very importantly, it involves a database. I barely know anything about programming, and the idea of meticulously learning the in's and out's of various programming languages just to figure this thing out makes me want to...well to do it if necessary, but I'm not sure it is, and I'm short on time. I'm not lazy, I'm short on time. Someday I'll be dead.

I'm looking at web services like AWS that offer cloud based databases and other goodies. Is it worth looking into, or should I be like MJ and dive into the books and build it all from scratch? I mean he did it back before these things existed, of course, but I think that also gave him more control. But then again, I don't want to spend more time than I have to getting this thing up and running. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Basically, it's going to be a lead-gen service that offers affiliate programs. People will come to my site to service their need, and sellers of products/services will be able to advertise to those needs. A bit like Limos.com.

My service will involve a database that is searchable by the customer. They will read my beautiful copy, come to the website, do a search, then they find what they're looking for. It's like a simplified Google for a particular niche. The information in the database needs something more intelligent than a search engine to put it together. I put the info together, the search engine grabs it, and directs the customer to my affiliate 'catalog' after they ask a set of questions:

What is your dildo size preference? Do you prefer long ones or short ones? Soft or hard? - Like that, except without dildos.

So I think I need a database, a search engine program that asks questions related to particular database criteria, and probably some sort of webpage prototype, with a common template but that can be instantly generated using database items after the search is completed. Alright, breaking it down makes it seem a bit smaller.

I think as far as security goes, I'll only need it for customer emails. And for the money that affiliates pay me....not 100% sure how that will work. Well, I guess I've got a lot to learn.

Dave510

Reversing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 16, 2014
Today I decided to commit to a Fastlane business. I decided to "Choose my mountain" as the late Felix Dennis put it. For fun, I'll document my journey here, but the main reason I'm posting here is that I want some advice. Before I ask for advice, though, I'll offer some:

If you haven't chosen a Fastlane yet, choose one today. Why today? Several reasons:

1. If your idea is a failure, you will still learn from it.
2. The only thing holding you back is fear. Face it.
3. You'll never find that 'perfect idea'.
4. You aren't rich yet, and you aren't immortal, either. The clock is ticking, and you can't afford to be too picky.

Anyway.

Here's how I chose my Fastlane, step by step.

1. I did a few searches of the largest, fastest growing, and most profitable industries in America and worldwide. I made a large list of them.

2. I crossed off every industry I had absolutely no interest in. This left most of the list intact, unfortunately.

3. I decided to take the largest, most profitable, most obviously growing industries that I was most interested in. Good enough for me.

4. Within those industries, I started writing out a list of solutions to needs I was aware of. When I wrote down #5, I stopped the search. No, it's not the greatest idea ever. Nor is it very original. But I saw it, and I said: "I can do that, and I can make money doing it, and it fits the proper criteria." The End.

Moral of that story is: "Ideas are a dime a dozen, focus on execution".

So, here I am, with my idea. Then, I wrote down one of those old execution plans. You know:

Step 1. Get great idea
Step 2. ????
Step 3. Profit!

Except my list looks like this:

Step 1. Get great idea
Step 2. Do this thing.
Step 3. Then do this thing.
Step 4. Then do this thing.
Step 5. Then do that.....

And so on and so forth. I think Profit comes in at step 15 or so.

Okay, you've had your advice. Now it's my turn.

My idea involves the internet, and programming, and all the fun stuff that involves. Very importantly, it involves a database. I barely know anything about programming, and the idea of meticulously learning the in's and out's of various programming languages just to figure this thing out makes me want to...well to do it if necessary, but I'm not sure it is, and I'm short on time. I'm not lazy, I'm short on time. Someday I'll be dead.

I'm looking at web services like AWS that offer cloud based databases and other goodies. Is it worth looking into, or should I be like MJ and dive into the books and build it all from scratch? I mean he did it back before these things existed, of course, but I think that also gave him more control. But then again, I don't want to spend more time than I have to getting this thing up and running. Any advice would be appreciated.

Programming is a really deep pond. If you don't know anything about programmer and you are short on time, hiring a programming might be the best option.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Programming is a really deep pond. If you don't know anything about programmer and you are short on time, hiring a programming might be the best option.

Lol how much can I get them to do for $50? I'm pretty short on funds. I don't want to look for investors unless I'm 100% certain I can repay their loans. So hiring an employee is too much for me at this point, unless I offered a partnership with equity. NOPE!

So I'll have to learn some stuff anyway, but if I can outsource certain things to speed up the process then I will. I might try selling on amazon to bring in cash in the short term if I have to. If I fail at that I'll go back to the factory. Either way, I can still pay a few monthly bills, and buy a few books.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Ah, F*ck it, I'll figure it out myself. I'll post some progress threads later.

Krix

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Aug 14, 2016
Estonia
Ah, F*ck it, I'll figure it out myself. I'll post some progress threads later.

Hi!

What output did You chose finally? Programmed yourself or found someone to do it for You?

BR
Kristjan

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Hi!

What output did You chose finally? Programmed yourself or found someone to do it for You?

BR
Kristjan

I decided to pursue an entirely different Fastlane road in a field I'm already skilled in. And it's been much easier to remain committed to this one because I happen to like the work it involves.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.