The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm looking forward to the Fastlane Meetup 2016...

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Hello Fellow Fastlaners!

I don't believe I ever formally introduced myself.:D

I found out about TFF through forum member J. Scott' real estate blog while stumbling around his site. Man, am I glad I did that! This place was eye opening. It was the first time I'd associated with people who thought the way I did. With no apologies. I also realized something else...

I knew jack shit about business! Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Oh I could quote stock prices, tell you who ran what corporation and which company was founded when but that stuff is trivial poppycock! Random data masquerading as knowledge. Or so I thought. Get the F*ck outta here! I didn't know shit!

Knowing what I know now, I would have handled my financial affairs with more intelligence when I was making a boatload of money back in the early 90's.

I was an actor. A working actor. Not famous, obviously, but recognizable to a certain extent. Here is my IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0751470/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I was 15 years old in 1986 when I started doing professional theatre around my hometown of Chicago. I worked steadily earning money doing industrial films, commercials and the aforementioned theatre gigs. Made some damn good money, too. $5,000 for two 12 hour days on an industrial film was not unheard of. I took most of the cash and paid my way at a private performing arts high school I attended, where the tuition was $8,000/year. I was hustling my a$$ off!

Upon graduation, I shot a NBC television film on which I earned my Screen Actors Guild card - S.A.G card - which marks you as a professional actor here in the States. The day after I finished that flick, I caught a plane to Los Angeles, checked in with my new agent and hit the pavement looking for work. I had $400 in my pocket.

I crashed on the floor of an apartment that was shared by three other guys, one of whom was a fellow actor I knew from Chicago. I would read the L.A. Times classified ads - remember those? - everyday looking for places at which to apply for a job to no avail. I couldn't get hired anywhere! And my little cash stash was dwindling. Quickly!

So imagine my surprise when I was informed by my actor friend that we had a week to vacate the premises. Turns out the two guys on the lease hadn't paid rent in months and the day of reckoning had arrived. WTF? I had no place to go and knew only one other person in town but she was staying with a childhood friend over the hill in the Valley.

I remembered a Help Wanted ad for a busboy position at a hotel - The Kipling Apartments they're called now. It was the the Kipling Hotel, then - near Downtown L.A. I spent the last of my cash on bus fare getting to that interview. The job compensation was room and board, plus free meals.

If you missed a meal shift, you were assed out. I'll never forget the condescension dripping from the manager's tongue when I told her about my acting ambitions after she asked why I was in L.A.

Lo and behold, I would find out what I was made of within two days of being hired...

Popular FOX Network television show, 21 Jump Street, sired a spinoff called Booker starring Richard Grieco. It was filmed in Vancouver. Pay was about $7,000 for the episode as a guest star. First class airline ticket and hotel room. But first, one had to get the gig. I requested time off from the new job, found someone to cover my shift and walked the 9 miles, round trip, to and from the audition.

I got a callback but there was one problem - I could only get someone to cover my hotel shift once a month! You've got to be F*cking kidding me! Once a month? I went upstairs to my roach-infested shared bedroom and sat on my bed, thinking. I could be a busboy in Chicago. I came to L.A. to act and, dammit, that's what I'm going to do!

I went back downstairs, found the pay phone - nostalgia - and called my friend, La Verne, who stayed in the Valley. She was not happy, having not heard hide nor hair from me in over a month. She promptly informed me that I could crash on her and her friend's couch but that she would also beat the black off me when I arrived because I hadn't stayed in touch.

F*ck it! She had a right to be mad - we were very good friends - and I would have to take that a$$ whippin'.

I went upstairs, shook out all my clothes to get rid of any roaches and packed my bag. I borrowed a couple of bucks from the front desk clerk and caught the bus to North Hollywood. When I arrived La Verne called me everything but a child of GOD, fed me a hot meal and showed me the bathroom. I took a hot shower and laid down on the living room couch and fell asleep.

I got up the next day and had a great breakfast. I didn't know what I was going to do if I didn't get that job but I would cross that bridge when I got to it. I went to the audition, went back to La Verne's place and sat on the couch/bed to watch a little television to calm my nerves.

At the time Richard Grieco had a Sprite commercial running and it came on. "I'm going to get the job!" I said to myself. Two hours later, my agent called me with the good news and two days afterwards I was on a plane to Vancouver, sitting in first class getting lit on bottomless Mimosas!

That was my first acting gig in L.A.

I had taken a calculated risk and it payed off. I was nervous as hell but I would have hated myself for not attempting to get to that callback audition. If all else had failed at least I took my shot! I've made a boatload of mistakes since that first gig in 1989 but a fate worse than death to me is "woulda, shoulda, coulda".

Thanks, @MJ DeMarco, and all the rest of you mods and regular contributors to this forum - you know who you are - who make this place such an inviting environment in which to share and learn. I'm not where I want to be yet, businesswise, but I'm getting there thanks to The Fastlane Forum.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! See you folks in Scottsdale.:cool:

Anthony aka Chitown

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Hello Fellow Fastlaners!

I found out about TFF through forum member J. Scott' real estate blog while stumbling around his site. Man, am I glad I did that! This place was eye opening. It was the first time I'd associated with people who thought the way I did. With no apologies. I also realized something else...

Oh I could quote stock prices, tell you who ran what corporation and which company was founded when but that stuff is trivial poppycock! Random data masquerading as knowledge. Or so I thought. Get the F*ck outta here! I didn't know shit!

Knowing what I know now, I would have handled my financial affairs with more intelligence when I was making a boatload of money back in the early 90's.

I was an actor. A working actor. Not famous, obviously, but recognizable to a certain extent. Here is my IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0751470/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

I was 15 years old in 1986 when I started doing professional theatre around my hometown of Chicago. I worked steadily earning money doing industrial films, commercials and the aforementioned theatre gigs. Made some damn good money, too. $5,000 for two 12 hour days on an industrial film was not unheard of. I took most of the cash and paid my way at a private performing arts high school I attended, where the tuition was $8,000/year. I was hustling my a$$ off!

Upon graduation, I shot a NBC television film on which I earned my Screen Actors Guild card - S.A.G card - which marks you as a professional actor here in the States. The day after I finished that flick, I caught a plane to Los Angeles, checked in with my new agent and hit the pavement looking for work. I had $400 in my pocket.

I crashed on the floor of an apartment that was shared by three other guys, one of whom was a fellow actor I knew from Chicago. I would read the L.A. Times classified ads - remember those? - everyday looking for places at which to apply for a job to no avail. I couldn't get hired anywhere! And my little cash stash was dwindling. Quickly!

So imagine my surprise when I was informed by my actor friend that we had a week to vacate the premises. Turns out the two guys on the lease hadn't paid rent in months and the day of reckoning had arrived. WTF? I had no place to go and knew only one other person in town but she was staying with a childhood friend over the hill in the Valley.

I remembered a Help Wanted ad for a busboy position at a hotel - The Kipling Apartments they're called now. It was the the Kipling Hotel, then - near Downtown L.A. I spent the last of my cash on bus fare getting to that interview. The job compensation was room and board, plus free meals.

If you missed a meal shift, you were assed out. I'll never forget the condescension dripping from the manager's tongue when I told her about my acting ambitions after she asked why I was in L.A.

Lo and behold, I would find out what I was made of within two days of being hired...

Popular FOX Network television show, 21 Jump Street, sired a spinoff called Booker starring Richard Grieco. It was filmed in Vancouver. Pay was about $7,000 for the episode as a guest star. First class airline ticket and hotel room. But first, one had to get the gig. I requested time off from the new job, found someone to cover my shift and walked the 9 miles, round trip, to and from the audition.

I got a callback but there was one problem - I could only get someone to cover my hotel shift once a month! You've got to be F*cking kidding me! Once a month? I went upstairs to my roach-infested shared bedroom and sat on my bed, thinking. I could be a busboy in Chicago. I came to L.A. to act and, dammit, that's what I'm going to do!

I went back downstairs, found the pay phone - nostalgia - and called my friend, La Verne, who stayed in the Valley. She was not happy, having not heard hide nor hair from me in over a month. She promptly informed me that I could crash on her and her friend's couch but that she would also beat the black off me when I arrived because I hadn't stayed in touch.

F*ck it! She had a right to be mad - we were very good friends - and I would have to take that a$$ whippin'.

I went upstairs, shook out all my clothes to get rid of any roaches and packed my bag. I borrowed a couple of bucks from the front desk clerk and caught the bus to North Hollywood. When I arrived La Verne called me everything but a child of GOD, fed me a hot meal and showed me the bathroom. I took a hot shower and laid down on the living room couch and fell asleep.

I got up the next day and had a great breakfast. I didn't know what I was going to do if I didn't get that job but I would cross that bridge when I got to it. I went to the audition, went back to La Verne's place and sat on the couch/bed to watch a little television to calm my nerves.

At the time Richard Grieco had a Sprite commercial running and it came on. "I'm going to get the job!" I said to myself. Two hours later, my agent called me with the good news and two days afterwards I was on a plane to Vancouver, sitting in first class getting lit on bottomless Mimosas!

I had taken a calculated risk and it payed off. I was nervous as hell but I would have hated myself for not attempting to get to that callback audition. If all else had failed at least I took my shot! I've made a boatload of mistakes since that first gig in 1989 but a fate worse than death to me is "woulda, shoulda, coulda".

Thanks, @MJ DeMarco, and all the rest of you mods and regular contributors to this forum - you know who you are - who make this place such an inviting environment in which to share and learn. I'm not where I want to be yet, businesswise, but I'm getting there thanks to The Fastlane Forum.

Anthony aka Chitown
I LOVE this intro, bro!

BTW, I used to LOVE China Beach and some of the other shows that you were on. Thanks for sharing. :D

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Cool story Anthony. It almost excuses you for "I don't believe I ever formally introduced myself." after 461 posts. Seriously? WTF man?! ;)

I guess I've got to post mine now too. Damn...

Look forward to meeting up in Arizona.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
I LOVE this intro, bro!

@Iwokeup,

That means a lot! Thank you!

BTW, I used to LOVE China Beach and some of the other shows that you were on. Thanks for sharing. :D

Glad to hear you watched the show! China Beach was a fun gig and a good show! My scenes were with Ricki Lake and she was cool, just a really nice person. I believe it was my second or third gig after arriving in L.A. I shot two episodes and had a blast.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Cool story Anthony. It almost excuses you for "I don't believe I ever formally introduced myself." after 461 posts. Seriously? WTF man?! ;)
@LateStarter,

LOL!!! Thank you! It dawned on me that I jumped right in, without introducing myself, when I joined the forum. Plus, @Vigilante is promising verbal beat downs if no intros are forthcoming.

I guess I've got to post mine now too. Damn...
Yes you do or @Vigilante is getting in that a$$!:)

Look forward to meeting up in Arizona.
Same here.:)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for that intro! I hadn't heard that story yet and glad you shared it.

Can't wait to hang out with you again.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello Fellow Fastlaners!

Anthony aka Chitown

Now that's a freaking intro!! Better late than never!

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Thanks for that intro! I hadn't heard that story yet and glad you shared it.

Can't wait to hang out with you again.
@AllenCrawley,

Thank you, Allen! I wonder, often, where all this time has gone. I was 18 when I shot that episode. I turned 45 last Thursday. No time to waste!

Looking forward to hanging out with you again, as well.:)

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Now that's a freaking intro!! Better late than never!
@MJ DeMarco,

Thank you, sir!

Trust me when I tell you that your book and The 4 Hour Workweek are the two tomes that caused a seismic shift in my thinking about the possibilities in business and life.

When I was homeless a few years ago I'd lie awake at night staring up at the ceiling in the apartment building parking structure where I slept, feeling like a complete loser. Separated from my family, my mind would wander. In those moments I realized how much I did not know. And when you know you don't know anything - and you acknowledge it - there's freedom there. I knew my situation was temporary and I had to take each day and commit myself to diligent effort in order to get off my a$$ and be successful. It took me a bit but I got back on my feet. And I'm not done, yet

Thanks, again, MJ!

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Yo Anthony! Damn. That's a great intro. We definitively need to link up before the trip though. I need to hear more of your stories. The grind is respected, my brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Yo Anthony! Damn. That's a great intro. We definitively need to link up before the trip though. I need to hear more of your stories. The grind is respected, my brother.

@Wisith,

Thank you, brother! Much appreciated! Let's make something happen after the Golden Globes.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Hello Fellow Fastlaners!

Anthony aka Chitown
Wow, what an intro! What an inspiration too! Doing film is one of my dreams (when I have the freedom), but on a more directing, writing and scoring/composing end. I've always seen your posts here and wondered who you were, glad I found out! :)

BTW, just curious, what made you stop acting? (if you don't mind me asking) I don't recall reading it in your post.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Wow, what an intro! What an inspiration too! Doing film is one of my dreams (when I have the freedom), but on a more directing, writing and scoring/composing end. I've always seen your posts here and wondered who you were, glad I found out! :)

@mws87,

If filmmaking is your dream check out Film Independent. It's a wonderful organization for indie filmmakers with fantastic resources to avail yourself of. I wish you well with that pursuit.:)

BTW, just curious, what made you stop acting? (if you don't mind me asking) I don't recall reading it in your post.

I didn't want the post to be too long!;)

I became disillusioned when I started losing gigs to rappers and comics. I even lost a role to Justin Guarini - remember him? Second runner up to Kelly Clarkson in the first season of American Idol? Nice guy. Couldn't act hot in a desert!

The nail in the coffin for me at that point in my life - 2002 through 2004 - happened when I auditioned for S.W.A.T. The director, Clark Johnson, helmed an episode of a CBS medical drama I did called 'City of Angels'. He liked my work and asked that I try out for S.W.A.T.

I was ecstatic - I hadn't appeared in a studio film since 'Trespass' in 1992! This would be a chance for me to get back on the studio casting lists and have access to their projects in a more direct way. As an actor, you know when you stink up the room and you know when you knock the stuffin' out that Egg McMuffin.

I knocked that bad boy out!

But the casting director called my then-manager and told him that although my audition was very strong, she would not advocate for me because the studio wanted LL Cool J! Talk about sinking into a depressive funk. It was the beginning of a good seven to eight year experience that I try my best not to remember. I was in my thirties, literally, hating my life because nothing I tried worked out.

I moved back to Chicago to clear my head. A good friend of mine who worked in finance suggested I explore getting a job on the floor of the Merc. That's how I ended up as a runner/out trade clerk for R.J. O'Brien in the meat pits.

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Awesome intro!

You took part in some great shows that shaped my childhood (Roc, In The House, Head of The Class). Nostalgia reading this thread. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to meeting you in Scottsdale!

Freed

**Edit**We just had it on Gladiator (On the dvr) a few weeks ago! Its a dope background movie for when I'm working. Didnt even see you were in that; one of my fav throwback flicks!

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Awesome intro!

You took part in some great shows that shaped my childhood (Roc, In The House, Head of The Class). Nostalgia reading this thread. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to meeting you in Scottsdale!

Freed

**Edit**We just had it on Gladiator (On the dvr) a few weeks ago! Its a dope background movie for when I'm working. Didnt even see you were in that; one of my fav throwback flicks!

@Kreedos Phoenix,

Thank you for your kind words, brother! That episode of Roc I appeared in was when they did the entire season live! Talk about working on the edge! A lot of actors they auditioned clammed up once they found out a few million people were going to watch them on a Sunday night.

Gladiator. Great memories on that one. Shot it in my hometown of Chicago. Oakwood Apartments. 5 20-something actors. Budweiser Girls staying in the same building. I'll leave that one, right there!:)

I was originally cast as Short Cut, but our writer/director Rowdy Harrington - who also wrote/directed 'Roadhouse' - found a better choice, Lance Slaughter, who was a really cool dude and fantastic in the part. Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez, whom Elton John wrote that famous tune about was out trainer.

We worked out in his gym with the AC on full blast. Mickey-Fickeys were freezing their sacs off! They got madder when I reminded them that the gym training temperature was swimming weather in Chicago. Once Rowdy created the character of Spits for me, I no longer had to train because Spits was a punk a$$ not a boxer. I went back to steak and potatoes with the per diem money.:)

The opening scene in the film was shot at Crane High School on the Westside of the city. I think it was 15 or 20 degrees that day. 12 hour shoot. We were mad as hell. Damn crew standing around in North Face gear while we were outfitted in that thin a$$ wardrobe.

The Budweiser Girls made it all worth it!;)

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Wow. Can't wait to hear these stories in person! I couldn't stop reading and now I am a little sad that I don't see more posts

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Wow. Can't wait to hear these stories in person! I couldn't stop reading and now I am a little sad that I don't see more posts

@blackkramer,

Thank you, my man! We can get it crackin' over some cocktails! Tons of these stories! Keeping it cool out of respect for the ladies on the Forum.:)

Goobii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 29, 2011
AUS
@Chitown - Awesome story man! Glad to have met you last year.

You're a really humble dude & I'm sure that all is going be well. Would love to see on screen though..

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
@Chitown - Awesome story man! Glad to have met you last year.

You're a really humble dude & I'm sure that all is going be well. Would love to see on screen though..
@Goobii,

We had a great time last year, didn't we?:)

Yesterday, I met with the casting director for an Amazon series called 'Man In The High Castle. I'd never heard of the show, as I don't watch a lot of television.

The meeting went well and we'll see what happens. However, I'll concentrate on my fast lane project, no matter what happens with that show.:)

I vowed that show business would never be my sole source of income again, ever!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...