The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm At Work Right Now, And I REALLY Want to Quit. Should I?

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
I'm thinking about quitting my job.

Actually, I'm DYING to quit my job. But I'm scared. I'm very scared. I'm scared that I won't have enough money to survive.

I'm 23 years old, I have a 6 year old son (yes, I was 17 when he was born). He spends half his time with me, the other half with his mom. I'm a full time college student entering my last year of school (majoring in entrepreneurship and small business management).

And I want to work for myself. I'm so tired of working these weak a$$ jobs. Retail, an office gig, it doesn't matter. I start off with a little excitement, but after a while, I burn out. I lasted 9 months at last job before they fired me for not showing up.

I've been at my current job like 3 months, and I'm going crazy. I'm spending less time with my son, less time working on things that I care about. I'm losing my mind. Like literally. I feel like I'm wasting so much of my life. I'm here 8 hours a day, plus 45 minute drive each way. I can't stand it.

The Financials
The job pays me $13 an hour, I work 40 hours a week. (That'll drop down to about 30 once school starts in a month)

My rent is covered through my financial aid (thank god) so even if I quit, I know I'll have a roof over my head.

But my other expenses, car, utilities, transportation, I'd need to make $2,000 per month.

$2,000 per month. I know it's not a lot of money, but I haven't been able to get anywhere near that number from own business.

My Business Prospects
Speaking of, right now I run a blog in the personal development niche. I started it in the spring of 2013. I've had some small successes here and there, ($100 from some course sales on month, $200 from a coaching package) but that's all I have. Nothing consistent. Nothing substantial.

I've got an email list of about 1,200 people.

My plan is to grow my blog into a full blown business. But that takes time. Time my sanity doesn't have.

Some other skills I'm thinking of leveraging to produce income as a scale my blog.
  • Tutoring - I've used tutoring as a side hustle to bring in money. At my peak I was making about $200+ a week.
  • Wordpress Sites - I can throw together a pretty good wordpress site. I've been thinking of reaching out to businesses with shitty, 1.0 websites and seeing if I can give them a wordpress site.
The Big Question
What do you guys think? Should I quit? I know, it's hard to say. But I'm hoping some of you have been in a similar situation before. I just need some guidance.

My mom doesn't understand. My girlfriend doesn't understand. Nobody understands.

Anything you guys can share is much appreciated. (I'm typing this from my computer at work. The irony)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Thats a pointless question because you obviously cant survive on your own. Stick with the job, build a business on the side, get OFF financial aid, and THEN you can quit (maybe).

It also seems like you are living way above your means. Rent covered and you still need 2k a month? As a student? Somethings wrong here.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
But my other expenses, car, utilities, transportation, I'd need to make $2,000 per month.

So, you're financing a Ferrari?....

I've been at my current job like 3 months, and I'm going crazy. I'm spending less time with my son, less time working on things that I care about. I'm losing my mind. Like literally. I feel like I'm wasting so much of my life. I'm here 8 hours a day, plus 45 minute drive each way. I can't stand it.

LOL buddy, business is the wrong pursuit. You need to put in 12 hour days, 16 hour days, shit somedays you wont sleep. Forget friends, you wont have time for them if you want to be successful.

"you need to work like theres someone working 24 hours a day to take you down because there probably is"
- Mark Cuban

P.S you cant make a million dollars with a minimum wage work ethic

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
Actually, I'm DYING to quit my job. But I'm scared. I'm very scared. I'm scared that I won't have enough money to survive.

It's good that you wanted to reach out to someone before quitting because you must not quit that job.

And I want to work for myself. I'm so tired of working these weak a$$ jobs. Retail, an office gig, it doesn't matter. I start off with a little excitement, but after a while, I burn out. I lasted 9 months at last job before they fired me for not showing up.

You want to work for yourself but can't work for others?

This is the norm.

Speaking of, right now I run a blog in the personal development niche.

*Record Scratch Sound FX* A bit of dissonance here. You're wasting away, losing your mind but you run a personal dev blog?

But. That said, you have a pretty big list. Depending on it's quality, try to monetize it.

My mom doesn't understand. My girlfriend doesn't understand. Nobody understands.

Nobody needs to understand. You just need to bring in results. Undeniable, irrefutable results.

(majoring in entrepreneurship and small business management).

What is this education doing for you? Was it instrumental in helping you start your blog? Do you self-educate during your free-time?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Speaking of, right now I run a blog in the personal development niche. I started it in the spring of 2013. I've had some small successes here and there, ($100 from some course sales on month, $200 from a coaching package)

And I want to work for myself. I'm so tired of working these weak a$$ jobs.

I'm going crazy.

Curious... if you can't coach yourself, how can you coach others?

As for your question, I wouldn't quit your job unless you had a definitive plan figured out. Either another job, a hustle, a bootstrapping plan, something. And with a child, you have to be a bit more responsible than some of the others who don't have dependents.

Good luck sir and welcome to the forum.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Curious... if you can't coach yourself, how can you coach others?

As for your question, I wouldn't quit your job unless you had a definitive plan figured out. Either another job, a hustle, a bootstrapping plan, something. And with a child, you have to be a bit more responsible than some of the others who don't have dependents.

Good luck sir and welcome to the forum.
MJ DeMarco, I know this is not the place but I need to change my name on this forum...it won't let me message you. Please help, thanks!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014

I'm 23 years old, I have a 6 year old son (yes, I was 17 when he was born).

After reading this I'd say NO.

Quitting a job to pursue the fastlane when nobody depends on you is a risk you can afford to take if you're willing to struggle for a while.

Quitting a job to pursue the fastlane when you have a son that depends on you is irresponsible.

I lasted 9 months at last job before they fired me for not showing up.

They didn't fire you; you quit on them.

Stopping to show up for a JOB that depends on you is disrespectful and shows a lack of maturity. Think about all the trouble you caused them when they had to scramble to find a replacement without a heads up from you. This is something you're going to have to learn before you'll be successful on your own fastlane.

I don't mean to disillusion you, but making the transition from employee to business owner will require you to work much, much more than you are now.

You're going to have to deal with unexpected circumstances like employees randomly deciding not to show up to work anymore, and other hurdles.

My rent is covered through my financial aid (thank god) so even if I quit, I know I'll have a roof over my head.

So, you're happy about quitting your job because other people with jobs are subsidizing your housing costs?

Lose that mentality. Work on supporting yourself before making a decision that will require others who are working to bail you out.

Speaking of, right now I run a blog in the personal development niche. I started it in the spring of 2013. I've had some small successes here and there, ($100 from some course sales on month, $200 from a coaching package) but that's all I have. Nothing consistent. Nothing substantial.

Because you need to find another niche you are actually experienced about. The market called you out on not delivering by not purchasing from you

[*]Tutoring - I've used tutoring as a side hustle to bring in money. At my peak I was making about $200+ a week.
[*]Wordpress Sites - I can throw together a pretty good wordpress site. I've been thinking of reaching out to businesses with shitty, 1.0 websites and seeing if I can give them a wordpress site.

Do this.

The Big Question
What do you guys think? Should I quit? I know, it's hard to say. But I'm hoping some of you have been in a similar situation before. I just need some guidance.

Anything you guys can share is much appreciated. (I'm typing this from my computer at work. The irony)

It's not hard to say. Don't quit your job.

We've all been in similar situations. We've all dealt with jobs we hated and people who didn't believe in us. Use it to motivate you.

Start by respecting your job (like, not using work hours and your work computer to post a thread about quitting) and learn from it. Chances are you work for a fastlaner and can learn so much from the process put in place around you.

Stop thinking about YOU and start thinking about what you can do to help those around you. Starting with the company you work for.

Getting into the fastlane will require the same mindset. What can I give of value? Start now.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)

I'm 23 years old, I have a 6 year old son (yes, I was 17 when he was born). He spends half his time with me, the other half with his mom. I'm a full time college student entering my last year of school (majoring in entrepreneurship and small business management).

The Financials
The job pays me $13 an hour, I work 40 hours a week. (That'll drop down to about 30 once school starts in a month)

$2,000 per month. I know it's not a lot of money, but I haven't been able to get anywhere near that number from own business.

My Business Prospects

I've got an email list of about 1,200 people.

My plan is to grow my blog into a full blown business. But that takes time. Time my sanity doesn't have.

Some other skills I'm thinking of leveraging to produce income as a scale my blog.
  • Tutoring - I've used tutoring as a side hustle to bring in money. At my peak I was making about $200+ a week.
  • Wordpress Sites - I can throw together a pretty good wordpress site. I've been thinking of reaching out to businesses with shitty, 1.0 websites and seeing if I can give them a wordpress site.
The Big Question

I am in a similar situation. Do NOT quit your job. It's a business decision: would you go from having a cash flow to ZERO cash flow in a second? That's not the way of doing it. And if you fail, there will be a big hole in your resume in case you want to find another job. Try to get another job while working/planning on the side for your "fastlane".
Sorry if I am blunt, but you have a kid, therefore you have no right to make irrational decisions/risktaking. His life depends on you.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Quitting your job is reserved for a time when you're making so much money that the income from said job is comparable to the income from picking up aluminum cans on the side of the road.

G

GuestUser113

This is hilarious. You want a bunch of strangers who you have never met from the internet. To make a crucial life decision for you??

What in the hell are you learning in that entrepreneur class? Have you completely checked out of reality?

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
You have to make this decision.

The only advice I will give you is this.

Do not make this decision if you're:

- Currently tired
- Just had a daunting short conversation
- At your workplace
- Thirsty, Hungry or Ill
- On a whim that takes shorter than 4 weeks.

In the meantime, AS you work, try to find a job that you'd prefer. Do not be stupid and jump ship until everything is SEALED, with a blood-pact if need be.

Since you seem busy, I'll link you to the threads we usually tell others to find for themselves.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...s-guide-to-buying-and-selling-anything.35889/ - One way to make a quick side income.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-4-weeks-without-using-banks-or-credit.53817/ - A bit more difficult, but also possible to make a lot of money. With no initial investment.

P.S.

If you're dead set on quitting, maybe you should consider dropping that entrepreneurship course, and read a few useful books, threads, and get your feet wet instead?

Consult your healthcare professional and all that, but nothing will teach you business like business will teach you business.

Last edited by a moderator:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX

I agree with what everyone else is saying- you can't support yourself, you have a son, and until you have a plan of action, and until you can support yourself from you blog you shouldn't quit. The whole thing about wanting to quit after 3 months and getting fired after 9- that really rubbed me the wrong way. I get it, working a part-time or full time slowlane job sucks, it really does- but that doesn't mean that you should half a$$ it. You are never too good for a job especially whenever your own business isn't able to make enough money to support you- you should be the best employee they have, at least until you are ready to put 100% of energy into your business. To stop showing up to work, to half a$$ a job- it is disrespectful and it isn't what you should be doing especially if you need that job to support yourself.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Stop thinking about YOU and start thinking about what you can do to help those around you. Starting with the company you work for.
Getting into the fastlane will require the same mindset. What can I give of value? Start now.

thread closed

Blair

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 4, 2014
New Zealand
As most have said you have a child and that should be your up most importance, it is unfair to quit your job at the sacrifice of your child's well being. My advice if you want to run your own business is to get used to working hard. Pick up extra shifts at your job so you are doing 12-14 hour shifts, day after day. If you think it's too hard then I struggle to see you being successful in business.

And on the side it's pretty shitty to just stop showing up to your job. As an employer that does hit a nerve. But all the best it sounds like you have built somewhat of a potential business with your blog so potentially there is hope for you if you put the work in. Whether you're tired, sore or about to burn out your customers and employees will not care. If you want compassion you are better off in the work force bitching over the coffee machine in your lunch break.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I'm sure it's become clear to you now, but in case you're still not sure: No. No way should you drop out, and no way should you quit.

Quitting your job and education is only a brilliant entrepreneurship move if those things are actually, no BS, holding you down, not just getting you down. Nobody likes working hard. But as an entrepreneur, you'll need to work HARDER than you do now, and for a while, you'll do it for far less money. You'll even gain the skepticism or ridicule of your family and friends to boot.

The only time I would ever punch out of regular life is if I had orders coming in, or I had (again, no BS) a functioning prototype/patent on something so obviously brilliant (i.e., a functional prototype battery that extends cell phone life to three weeks for the same cost and weight) that anything stopping me from executing was just holding me back from greatness.

The last couple "I wanna quit/I quit" threads we've had on here have been people who didn't quit because they were sitting on a royal flush, they quit because they were frustrated and things were hard. I'll tell you where you'll be in 5 years if you quit when things are hard: On welfare in your mom's basement, but this time you won't even have a degree to help you claw your way out.

Stick with it man. In a few months or years, you might be ready.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
It's an office job?

Don't quit. Change your mindset instead. Think of your job as you getting paid to learn skills you WILL need in your business:

- If you talk on the phone/e-mail all day, learn how to communicate most effectively and get people to do what you want.
- If you're in any kind of sales, that's the best opportunity. Nothing beats sales as an entrepreneurial skill. Become the best salesman in the building.
- Learn from your current bosses. Both good AND bad ones. You will need to know how to lead in your own business. What to do and what not to do in the position of power. You'll learn more from bad ones, too.

Nothing beats office as an entry level job. You're not outside sweating doing construction, or working in retail with customers constantly angry in your face. So your exhaustion with your job is mental, not physical. And if you change your mindset to learning from your job rather than simply earning, that exhaustion will subside.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I quit my job only because I am still living at home and have nobody depending on me, such as a child.

Was my decision the best?

Perhaps not because I'm finding myself lazier than when I had my job to kick me in the a$$ and keep me motivated.

I'm hustling enough money to get by, and I've had some snags in the last couple months getting my products on Amazon, but I think ultimately it will work out....FOR ME....

My situation is not typical. Had I been living on my own or had a kid, there is no way in hell I would have quit my job. At all.

In fact, I'm considering getting another job soon to get my a$$ back in gear.

So my answer for you and your situation would be:

Absolutely F*cking not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DeletedUser12

Have you considered switching jobs to something more tolerable? Are you good at sales? If you are, you can probably find something with base pay plus commissions.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
5 years ago, I quit my job. Cold turkey. I was single, no kids and I wanted to do what I wanted. It's still the same way now.

You have a child so you have to look out for his best interests. Now is the time to put on your thinking cap and start building a plan that will allow to quit that job of yours.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Whatever you do, do NOT QUIT YOUR JOB...yet.

I know your brain is telling you that once you quit, you will have more time to work on your "business". That is only true when you have a solid business plan that is gaining traction and most importantly, generating cash flow!

Right before I quit my previous job, I started working 60-70 hour weeks for a couple months. It drained me like no other. I'd read about people starting their own business online, and thought that if I'd quit, I could do the same. But when I quit I didn't have a plan, just a dream.

A couple months later I enrolled in school to finish my degree which will take 2-3 years. Again, the thought of quitting arose. My brain was telling me that if only I'd quit school, I would have enough time to work on a business.

But now I am wiser. I know that work and school was never the problem, only my excuse for not taking action. If I truly had what it took to create a fastlane business, it would happen no matter what. Having no source of income, puts your mind in a state of scarcity, and you are not able to make the best decisions for yourself or your business, so don't put yourself in a a disadvantage.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I bring in over 100k a year in profit from my online business at his point. Do you know what I do every morning? Get up and drive a school bus. I haul a bus full of noisy kids to and from school every day. Why do I still have a job? It's an extra $1,200 a month that I can pour into my business. It takes an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Is it fun? No! But it is a means to an end. Within the next year my wife and I will be moving into our dream house paid for with cash. How is that possible? Because I didn't quit my job when it was "hard" or "not fun" I used my job as a way to help propel me to my goals.

What goal are you going to reach by quitting your job?

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
I want to quit my job too. But untill I'm able to do that, I work my a$$ off for the company that hired me. The company pays you for your services, don't be ungrateful for that and start acting like a responsible employee.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
I could write 5 pages about what you have done wrong and what you should do and how to motivate yourself when times are tough and so on and so on.

Instead I'm giving you the short version.

1. You're in deep trouble. Your biggest problem is you have no discipline.

2. Sell the car. You don't need one.

3. Pay off credit card debt from the proceeds of the car.

4. Cut back until you are at 1,000 dollars per month. You don't need anything except food, clothing and a place to read books. Move in with other people.
When I was a student I survived on what is now 1,000 per month. What I can do, you can do.

5. Fix your attitude. You have worked yourself into deep trouble at this young age. If you don't fix it now you will live a miserable life.

6. Keep the job or find another job that pays better.

7. Finish your school.

8. Then try entrepreneurship as a side hustle and expand from there.

Last edited:

arobinson04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,

Thank you for the tough love and hard truths. I needed that. I was frustrated yesterday. I was at a boiling point.

But you guys told me what I needed to hear.

I'm not quitting my job. On my drive home I was thinking, I got home and I thought some more. And then I put a plan in place. I'm going to go full steam with the tutoring business. I came up with a pretty unique selling position. And I found a way to make it much more passive than the average tutoring business. I'll start a new thread about it.

But really, after reading all of your responses yesterday, I walked away with a fresh perspective. There are a lot of things I do every day in my job, that will help me run own business, I was just so blinded by my ambition to do my own thing, that I didn't even notice. I'm a great employee, when my hearts in it. And I need to get back to that. And I will.

Once my side businesses is surpassing my income from my current job, I'll know it's time. Until then, I'll make the best of the situation, learn everything I can, and keep chipping away.

Really, you guys have no idea how much I needed to hear that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.