The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm a 17 year old... Extremely interested in getting financially

Fire_Thief

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2008
free. I dont want to work a 9-5 for the rest of my life. Thats why I want to start NOW. I am a senior come August, so I still have a whole year to do things before I head off to college. This seems to be a great resource, I will enjoy my stay. I'd love some tips from everyone. I currently have $800, and after reading the 3k to 1M thread, I wont be buying that ipod touch that I wanted haha. I plan on getting a job and saving everything I make... So I can get some money to put my foot in the door.

What should I do guys? Would it be a smart idea to pay someone to make a website for me, since I have no experience with HTML?

Just throw me lots of ideas here, whatever they may be, I'm all ears.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Re: I'm a 17 year old... Extremely interested in getting financia

Welcome. What are your interests? What do you want your investments to do for you? Almost everyone wants to have financial freedom, but why do you want to have the freedom? You have to find out the why's to keep focused and motivated.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Welcome to the forum.
Allow me to mention here the mentoring that we are putting together at www.fastmentors.com
The basic idea is to help people to start with nothing and being mentored by those that have done it. your situation seems like a perfect fit for what this non-profit effort is targeting.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008

the first thing you should do is set your goals and what you want to accomplish in life. Doing that will point you in the right direction you should go in. I haven't been here that long but I have learn alot just by reading though the threads and whenever I feel like its impossible I read the success stories on here and that get me back on my path to the fast lane. I'm interested in starting a website also so I can give you some of the tips I have learn so far(anybody feel free to correct me if wrong).

From numerous searches and asking I have come to a conclusion that hostgator is the best hosting for you site. I haven't really found out where to buy cheap domain names yet. Before you go looking for some one to build you a site you should get organized and right down everything you want and how you want it. I learn the hard way designers will start asking questions I wasn't ready for so I had to take a step back and really look at things better. Its like building a building you need the blue prints before you start building.

Are you just making a site to make money, for something you like, for a business, or for all?

If you just want to make money you can start off by making a blog at blogger.com and add some google adsense. If you have a good niche with high ranking keywords you can make some good money at 17 to fund your real site(thats what I am doing).

There are other things you could do like sell ebooks or dropship on ebay. Just ask some questions and the nice people here will be sure to help.

check this out it will really get you motivated for a teen.(sorry fastlane if I'm not suppose to drop a link to another forum)
http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=407244

BTW this your boy from WOS.

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia

Welcome aboard.

If you need to ask what to do, like phoenix_ent said, you need to set your goals. Once that's done, you immediately need education. Buy/borrow some books, read and participate in forums. Then, practice.

Goals = your destination.
Education = the tools to get you there.
Practice = developing skills to use those tools well.

Daniel.

Fire_Thief

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2008

Good looks everyone.

Well, I want to become a millionaire and not have to work a job. I want to be able to retire my parents and other family members and have them well off.

I was thinking of just copying that million dollar webpage idea and see if that would work... The owner said he doesnt mind the copiers.

Or I could start a free website and hopefully get money from the ads. But I know you gotta pay taxes on the Google Adsense.. -_-

I'm open to everything, please tell me what I can do!

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia

I was thinking of just copying that million dollar webpage idea and see if that would work
Or I could start a free website and hopefully get money from the ads. But I know you gotta pay taxes on the Google Adsense.. -_-

I say go for it. I don't know how successful the million dollar webpage would be, since its success was driven by media coverage, which in turn was fuelled by its newsworthiness.

However, the free site idea is a business model which has been proven before, and there are many different ways of doing it. Give it a try :) Don't worry about taxes. Your main goal, I assume, is to make something that works. Once it works, you could probably make it more tax efficient.

Daniel.

Fire_Thief

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2008

Yeah I'm doing it. I'm not gonna have media coverage though. The domain is only $10 a year, so all I gotta do is sell at least 11 pixels to see a profit. I'm gonna make my pixels 20x20 though, so they will be a little bigger.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008

I was thinking of just copying that million dollar webpage idea and see if that would work... The owner said he doesnt mind the copiers.

I suggest you come up with your own type of forum as copies dont do that well. actually its hard work to get a forum to make alot of money ask LB.

Yeah I'm doing it. I'm not gonna have media coverage though. The domain is only $10 a year, so all I gotta do is sell at least 11 pixels to see a profit. I'm gonna make my pixels 20x20 though, so they will be a little bigger.
??????? ok im lost here. i think you learn something i havnt. what you mean sell 11 pixels to make a profit?

p.s I dropped some serious knowledge up there and im still in park:wtf:

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM

Don't forget to also read the other threads in THIS forum, especially the "How to develop your Plan". It is one of the most read threads on the site. Invaluable information. Good Luck! And Welcome!

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden

free. I dont want to work a 9-5 for the rest of my life. Thats why I want to start NOW. I am a senior come August, so I still have a whole year to do things before I head off to college. This seems to be a great resource, I will enjoy my stay. I'd love some tips from everyone. I currently have $800, and after reading the 3k to 1M thread, I wont be buying that ipod touch that I wanted haha. I plan on getting a job and saving everything I make... So I can get some money to put my foot in the door.

What should I do guys? Would it be a smart idea to pay someone to make a website for me, since I have no experience with HTML?

Just throw me lots of ideas here, whatever they may be, I'm all ears.

Why are you interested in building a website? What is the main idea behind the website? What are you going to offer on the website?

Before paying a designer for your website, test your idea where you live first. If your idea is viable, then sign up bookings from customers and then build your website.

You need to find a way of quickly getting your money back (In Sweden we call that "att räkna hem affären", that is "Finding a way of winning back the invested amount").

Quagzmort

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 9, 2008
MI

I wont be buying that ipod touch that I wanted haha. I plan on getting a job and saving everything I make... So I can get some money to put my foot in the door.

Delaying gratification. That's one of the keys to success and something I struggled with for quite a while, especially keeping up with the "fastest" computers. If you can master that early, and from your ipod comment it seems you understand it, you greatly increase your chances of "making it".

Would it be a smart idea to pay someone to make a website for me, since I have no experience with HTML?

That depends on what you are planning to do. Without a plan, paying someone to develop a website doesn't do much for you. Think of it along the same line as the ipod. You buy the website, now what? Take a bit of time and read the "How to develop your plan" thread http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=544 and take notes. Then search this site for answers to questions you may then have.

Russ H posted a few days ago on the importance of searching this site for information. Here's a chunk of his post from this thread http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?p=44866#post44866

-------------------------------------
Look in the upper right hand corner of this page.

See the icon that says "search"?

Click it and type in "[what you want to search for]". - Russ H
---------------------------------------

Welcome and it's great to have you here! :hurray:

Quagzmort

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007

I wouldn't do this. It's been copied hundreds of times and very few were remotely successful, only the Million Dollar Wiki has made a lot of money.

-Andrew

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD

Welcome!

As others have said, start off with a plan. Then, educate yourself. Then, get started.

Whenever you find yourself doubting yourself, read success stories and just try to stay positive.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden

If your plan to get wealthy makes the journey seem easy, then it's probably not a good plan. While it's certainly possible to get-rich-quick with little time or effort (think lottery, million-dollar homepage or the guy who created the pet rock), it doesn't happen often, and it certainly doesn't happen often by copying someone else's ideas.

Why don't you figure out your own unique plan for making money? It will probably be more work than just copying someone else's get-rich-easy idea, but it has more chance of actually working.

It sounds like you want something for nothing...but it doesn't generally work that way...

Sometimes it does. Anyone remember the company Xcelera? The company that rose 70,000%, or something, in one years time? Anyone remember the smart genius behind that rocket stock? Alexander Vik?

Alexander Vik is a Swedish-Norwegian entrepreneur who became a multi billionaire (was even featured on Forbes list of the richest people in the world). What this guy essentially did was to take a swedish IT company and incorporate it in his own company that was listed on a stock exchange in the US and incorporated on the Cayman Islands. He drove that stock so high and sold before the bubble burst. Many lost, Alexander himself and his brother became very rich and still is very rich. Mostly everyone else lost big time.

Alexander got something for almost nothing (sure he invested some money in the nearly bankrupt swedish company he helped) and created a media magnet out of it. You can take someone elses idea, phase them out of their own companies by getting majority control early on and then take that shit and bring it to the stars with a smart PR machine. Ethical? No. Smart? Unfortunately, out of a capitalist stand-point, yes.

Alexander knew his financial history very well and he knew that a good history and the right timing with someone elses great idea can make you very rich. If you play your cards right.

Bill Gates also got someone elses idea (software) and it didn't cost him that much compared to the results it gave him (combined with his cunning way of doing business). Knowledge and courage is essential though. Without it, others will use you.

Using someone elses system is not that smart. What is smart though is taking majority control over it. That way you will not be the one that is fooled. That should be a comfort for you. Then you will not be the one eaten for breakfast..hehe.

Remember: a capitalist is someone who protects his capital and tries to expand it anyway he/she can. Ethics or moral has nothing to do with it, really (no matter what anyone says). But it do help if you can show that you have some moral and ethical values of course. At least, then you don't need your lawyers that much:smxB:.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

If your plan to get wealthy makes the journey seem easy, then it's probably not a good plan. While it's certainly possible to get-rich-quick with little time or effort (think lottery, million-dollar homepage or the guy who created the pet rock), it doesn't happen often, and it certainly doesn't happen often by copying someone else's ideas.

Why don't you figure out your own unique plan for making money? It will probably be more work than just copying someone else's get-rich-easy idea, but it has more chance of actually working.

It sounds like you want something for nothing...but it doesn't generally work that way...

To add to this... something like the million dollar home page is not as "easy" as it appeared.... the guy put a ton of effort into PR. It was not "luck" - - - he worked for it.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto

Fire Thief,

If your interested in starting a website, I'd suggest learning the material yourself, that way you have complete control over your business.

Start by picking up Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS by Wrox.

Once you have a good understanding of that, you can start learning JavaScript, and then pick up Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 by Wrox, which is a server side language.

The Professional ASP.NET 3.5 by Wrox is a fantastic reference which sits at around 1600 pages, once you get very familiar with ASP.NET and programming as a whole.

I wish you luck.

MP

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia

Fire Thief,

If your interested in starting a website, I'd suggest learning the material yourself, that way you have complete control over your business.

Or you could just hire someone/outsource it and get it done now, rather than spending months/years learning programming. :)

Daniel.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR

Or you could just hire someone/outsource it and get it done now, rather than spending months/years learning programming. :)

Daniel.

It's a lot easier to write the specs than the code. What I have done on past projects has been to search for existing scripts such as forum scripts to add to projects which reduces the time, expense, and potential errors in having the whole site created from scratch.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden

Let the pros do the stuff they do best. It will be worth your time. Unless you would like to learn programming of course.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008

Fire Thief,

Start by picking up Beginning Web Programming with HTML, XHTML, and CSS by Wrox.

Once you have a good understanding of that, you can start learning JavaScript, and then pick up Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 by Wrox, which is a server side language.

The Professional ASP.NET 3.5 by Wrox is a fantastic reference which sits at around 1600 pages, once you get very familiar with ASP.NET and programming as a whole.

I wish you luck.

MP

by the time you learn all this the market for your idea will probably be over with. just hire someone to do it. you can start off with a simple site.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC

Making another "million dollar" homepage is very likely to not be successful, at least as not as successful as you are hoping for. These homepages are like a novelty page. The original is a success because of the marketing the guy did at the time, as someone mentioned, and it was unique and creative. It was different and a brilliant idea, but simple and cheap. Because of this word got out and the page's popularity grew and advertisers wanted to be a part, simply because of the story behind the page. The copy cats now might have made a few bucks, I suspect not enough to be worth the time and effort. People don't go to these pages because there is no "cool factor" to them. There is no story spreading across the net about their brilliant idea, because there wasn't one. They are copying the one and only guy who had that brilliant idea and is successful now because of that.

As far as setting up a page for running Google adwords, that is not a solid plan.

I'm not trying to sound harsh, but it is imperative that you not get in the mindset of thinking the internet is a good source to get rich quick. Yes, it has happened, but it's hardly ever easy. A successful site usually must be unique, viral, and should change the way a market/niche/demographic thinks or uses the web or service. It must keep people engaged and coming back to use it.

I also agree with outsourcing your development needs for right now. You can learn them as you go, but if you need the services now....you need them now. Your time is too valuable when developing a website idea.

If you wish to be financially independent you will have to increase your financial IQ. Start reading books. Whichever vehicle you wish to use for your financial freedom(real estate, internet, stocks, etc.) then start learning more in that area. You have the right mindset, the foundation, start building upon that.

Fire_Thief

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2008

I actually have a guy who will make a website completely free, he does freelance work like that. All I have to buy is the domain, which is $10 a year. So I have plenty room to improvise.

I was thinking of offering free servies or something and make money off the ads on my site? I also wanted to put $10,000 in the stock market....

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK

Few general points

- Well done for taking action at such a young age. I thought I was young setting up my first company at 20, but 17 is ace! Nice one.

- IMO your first goal should be learning 'business'. I don't mean taking a business class at school, I mean learning how to run a business. So take any idea which has been done before, I chose 'web hosting' so bought a server with savings and marketed this company within a niche. I made sure my accounts were up to date, I had good invoicing, kept good records, made myself appear as professional as possible. I developed the company, got a few good clients who referred others. I didn't make millions, but f*ck me I learnt a huge amount.

- Whilst running the above, keep your eyes and ears open for ANY opportunity. Learn how to evaluate opportunities. So research methods of predicting revenue, profit margins, costs, taxes etc etc. This way whenever you see an opportunity, you can quickly weigh up whether it is worthwhile and take action.

- When you're sure of an idea, grab it and work your @ss off to make sure it happens. Ideas are sooo common, its the guys who take an idea and work hard who make it.

- Make sure EVERYONE knows you're committed and have dedicated. I was always polite to others, helped them for free if they needed it, made some good contacts. Then a guy emailed me wanting me to come on to his start-up and thats what I'm currently working on. I didn't have an amazing idea, but I made sure that I was PERSONALLY very marketable, and ideas came and found me.

Good luck, but most of all, make sure you spend your young years :smx6:and getting as many girls as possible. hahaha :rofl:

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008

I actually have a guy who will make a website completely free, he does freelance work like that. All I have to buy is the domain, which is $10 a year. So I have plenty room to improvise.

I was thinking of offering free servies or something and make money off the ads on my site? I also wanted to put $10,000 in the stock market....

I think you're focusing too much on the money now. You should be focusing on two things at your age:

1. Building skills and expanding your financial education. The main skill you can learn now is money management. Learn how to budget your money. Many young people once able to qualify for Credit, get into debt and this can slow their journey. Also learning HTML and web design if you want to go that way isn't bad.

2. Keep your eyes open and learn how to spot a need in the market. Keep listening to people's complaints about something, and use your mind to think about a solution. Ask people around you, and members of this and other forums. Once you target a good need, start to plan a solution for it.

It'll come to you if you keep your mind open...A million-dollar page is good, but what value does it add to the market?

Howard:smx6:

Fire_Thief

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2008

Okay I'm now clueless. -_- I dont even know where to start now.

phoenix_ent

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
May 27, 2008

Sigh.gif

Fire_Thief

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2008

Its funny you post that GIF lmfao someone on another site I go to has that as their avy lol

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK

This thread is full of advice about where to start.

Go to the library / book store and get a book on starting a business. And any other books that take your fancy in the business section.

Read read read and then you'll be less clueless :)

No easy formula I'm afraid.

howard_two

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Apr 16, 2008

Like rico and thebigbear said start by reading. The first thing I would do is print out this thread, take it with you and study it. You don't have to do everything, but set up a step by step plan that will suit you. If you want to be successful in life, you must learn to plan for yourself, and your employees down the road. It's a learnable skill. Good luck, and never stop asking questions. As you can see, there are GREAT people ready to help in this place. Good luck my friend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.