The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ikigai: The Japanese Secret Of Finding Purpose In Life

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
That's a great diagram.

So many ways to view it.

The ones that stick out most to me are:

Passion + Vocation = IKIGAI
Mission + Profession = IKIGAI

Many of the smartest and most creative people in the world are stuck in intersection #1. Geniuses focused on making the next Facebook or Angry Birds.

Elon Musk seems to be the poster boy for IKIGAI.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Don't wait for the elephant...

Have you found your Ikigai?

@ChrisV
I have. Although it's a continual process. Once you find it you find more and more things to achieve, but you do know you're on the right path.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
same idea of overlapping things in strategy thinking :

sun tzu was an INTJ

by the way INTJ strategists stand at the core of the MBTI

this is the guys who own us : banking systems, initiates, elite etc etc

you may say i am telling BS

maybe.

ultimately, the events in the world tell who is right

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Nice diagram.

Maybe a bit too academic for me. I got my value just seeing the four main circles.

There’s a couple of threads that spring to mind:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
And I'm mad this didn't get more views. This idea was really profound for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uazl_pBzUwQ
Mad what didn’t get more views? That YouTube video of the Ted Talk, or this thread?

Regardless, my learnings from posting stuff and watching it tank, slowly get traction, or take off unexpectedly are:

# Don’t be mad. Be curious.
  • Will people click through
  • Will they watch/listen to what I linked to?
  • What can I do to sell the click to open the thread
  • What can I do to sell people on watching/listening? (Without misrepresenting the content and being too click-baity).
Why would a piece of content that I think is good not get viewed/traction?
  • Is it because I think it’s good but it’s not what the market wants?

# Does the market need it but not want it?
  • Is the market aware they even have this problem?

# CTA
  • Am I even asking people to click/view/listen (that would be the CTA!).
  • Am I asking people to come back and post their main takeaway or what they will do different going forward?

# Want more engagement?

Want to start a conversation around the topic? Want more eyeballs on the thread?
  • Ask a question.
  • Make it simple to *start* answering. How about a binary question (with a yes/no or some other black/white reply)?
  • Don’t ask too many questions. (Have one CTA!)

# Want more meaningful engagement?
  • Reply to the replies.
  • Dig deeper. Find the why behind their response.
  • Fan the flames, or draw create a safe environment for discussion? I prefer to be non-judgemental about it, but controversy can help flame conversations. Not my style!

# Tag people
  • Who would this help?
  • Who would this appeal to?
  • Who talks about this a lot already?
  • Who has credibility and authority on this subject?
  • Who has a (good) following on this subject that will see the thread if they comment on it?

# Change things up
  • If it’s worth it, bump the thread with additional info or thoughts.

# Forum members don’t want to watch videos.
  • We’ve really got to sell people on watching the video... especially if it’s over 5 minutes long!

Be curious, not furious.

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
Mad what didn’t get more views? That YouTube video of the Ted Talk, or this thread?

Regardless, my learnings from posting stuff and watching it tank, slowly get traction, or take off unexpectedly are:

• What can I do to sell people on watching/listening? (Without misrepresenting the content and being too click-baity).

# CTA
  • Am I asking people to come back and post their main takeaway or what they will do different going forward?

# Want more engagement?

Want to start a conversation around the topic? Want more eyeballs on the thread?
  • Ask a question.
  • Make it simple to *start* answering. How about a binary question (with a yes/no or some other black/white reply)?

• Reply to the replies.
  • Fan the flames, or draw create a safe environment for discussion? I prefer to be non-judgemental about it, but controversy can help flame conversations. Not my style!

# Tag people
  • Who would this help?
  • Who has a (good) following on this subject that will see the thread if they comment on it?

# Change things up

• We’ve really got to sell people on watching the video... especially if it’s over 5 minutes long!

Be curious, not furious.

Also well said Andy :) ,

How profound something is, how real, how insightful, relevant it is ( sadly ) is irrelevant to the number of views, notoriety ...it gets.

I'll be honest, I simply responded to ikigai, and as profound as that word and it's associated meaning is, I responded because I already KNEW its meaning.

It sucks that the best content, ideas or whatever needs two things, attention so that people eventually realize we offer attention worth stuff, and consistency of producing quality "remarkable" content in the sense Seth Godin defines it.

While many recognize him as a "guru", the majority of his work was, has, is and will be ignored by most

You have exactly the right frame to ( perhaps eventually ) succeed, it may take years or decade, so you HAVE TO believe in what you're doing beyond what's "reasonable".

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
Ironically, I also learned the word ikigai from a TED talk also, ironic considering that I'd already been living in Japan for YEARS before learning this word from this video:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

# CTA

# Want more engagement?

• Ask a question.

• Reply to the replies.

# Tag people
  • Who would this help?

# Change things up

Be curious, not furious.
Lol Andy... i was being a little tongue-in-cheek with the word mad, but your post is pure gold anyway... not just for forum, but for content in general. I owe you rep when the bank comes back.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
As for your furious, it was necessary poetic license, and amusing, after all, how many words rhyme with curious?

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Ikigai isn't just an academic idea. It's embraced by whole rural communities around the globe.
The point to ikigai is that this is a prescription for wellbeing.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
And I'm mad this didn't get more views. This idea was really profound for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uazl_pBzUwQ
The ikigai chart is excellent.
I think this guy's message feels too me-me-me and just a rehash to follow your bliss. He did not get into ikigai much.
You take the idea further in this thread than the fluffed up Ted talk.
Ted Talk = Teddy bears for entrepreneurs (sometimes)

Last edited:

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
From native Japanese speakers, I've been told ikigI is best translated to "ones life motivation'.

I'm not really aware of how it's being used outside Japan, but I really like that a single word has such an expansive implications towards personal development and finding one's passion.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
From native Japanese speakers, I've been told ikigI is best translated to "ones life motivation'.

I'm not really aware of how it's being used outside Japan, but I really like that a single word has such an expansive implications towards personal development and finding one's passion.
I've heard it translated as "your purpose" or "a reason for being"

And yes, I feel like it's awesome because it extends past mere 'passion.' Passion alone is selfish. Passion alone adds nothing to the world. it's why @MJ DeMarco rips on 'following your passion.' But the beauty of this model is that it covers all bases, and can show one where they may be lacking.

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
I disagree about few things he says, but speaking for myself my what I love IS my passion and ikigai. I think he's completely wrong on this point, though I may be a rare exception on this point, if I didn't LOVE inventing, I would have quit DECADES AGO.

It just so happen that my love, passion, and ikigai is also one of the most powerful ways to serve and make thereby make money.

I may get lots of hate for saying this, but I think MJ shows a lack of imagination saying "don't do what you love" because I personally think you should find a way to make money doing something you love, rather than the simplified version MJ sites. NO most people can't make millions playing video games, but they may be able to leverage that love and passion to MAKE a video game that makes millions.

To be clear, maybe I'm an exception, but I can't imagine how anyone could persevere for as long as is required to achieve success WITHOUT loving what they do. I've never been anyone but myself, but I submit that whatever you love CAN and probably should be directly or indirectly related to your business.

While some people may become passionate about cleaning shit, I can't imagine that passion coming from anything but the money it makes and the freedom said money provides. Years ago I really considered import / export, and I see how ( especially now that I live in Japan ) I COULD make money from it, but it would be meaningless, without passion or meaning, and therefore a fate worse than death for me personally.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Well I think MJ's point is that if you focus on areas that aren't so traditionally 'glamorous' there can be a ton of opprotunity. I think he's said something along the lines of "if you can find something that you're passionate about that also is profitable, then it's a double wammy."

This is a complex issue. In economics there are basically 3 factors that determine a jobs (or businesses) wage. Ability needed (barrier to entry,) how unpleasant the job is (unpleasant jobs pay more) and supply/demand. Having a willingness to do unpleasant things boosts your options. But i mean if you can figure out a career or business that ticks all 4 boxes then that's much better. That's the approach I took.

Raveling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 14, 2019
Agreed Chris,

There's no question, if you can get passionate about something like cleaning feces, it's a real need and opportunity others aren't fighting over. It sounds like we're both among the lucky few who can tick all the boxes.

What is the business that ticks all 4 boxes for you?

I also have to admit that MJ is right about the danger of turning a love into a business does come with a real ( and probably fairly common ) risk of killing your love for that thing.

IFF you decide to take the love path against MJ's advice as I did long before reading any of his stuff, I'd say that you have to be very self-aware and be willing to pivot a little of a lot if you realize you're killing your love for something. At that point, you either have to change what you're doing or be willing to lose said love in service of your larger goal.

Personally, I can't disentangle my love of inventing from my passion for it. It allows me to do stuff I hate ( but is necessary ) to achieve my inventing goals, just as MJ describes using passion to get you through, or reframe that which you hate into something you're excited ( or at least will to do ) to get to the greater end.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
What is the business that ticks all 4 boxes for you?
Understanding human nature through Science and Statistics.

And then improving ones circumstances through the same means.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Behavioral economics? Psychology? Hypnotic mind control?

Mostly the first two lol. I'm a Data Scientist, but much of my work is in the fields you mentioned.

I think ultimately Iwould love to do something like scientific personal development. I think that Self Help is an enormous field, but most of it is fluffy nonsensical bullshit. Theytake no measures to actually check if their hypotheses are actually correct and just put things out there because some other self-help author told them it works. So what you see is that generally people get a spike in motivation for a few days, then that motivation wanes. So I'd like to do things that actually teach people to make lasting changes.

But for now most of my work is in Research Psychology.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
If anyone wants to list what their "Ikigai" (reason for being) is.. i'm sure everyone would love to hear it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.