The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ideas, Setting Goals for the Future, Book Suggestions ...

Idea threads

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Hello,
first I would like to say Thank You to everybody that will respond to my thread.
So lets start I am a 17 year old boy, still in school I have average grades. English is my second language so if there are any spelling mistakes please bare with me :).
As of time I'm writing this I've read:
  • Rich Dad Poor Dad,
  • Magic of Thinking Big,
  • The 4-Hour Workweek,
  • Click Millionaires,
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People
  • Awaken the Giant Within
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • The Millionaire Fastlane
I can say that these books changed my perspective of how wealth is acquired but I would love to see what your favorites are.

My goals for the next years are to finish school and join the military, I have no wish with continuing my "formal education" because I can't find any use of it. I'm learning gastronomy (cooking, service, barman...)
Do you think differently please tell me how you fell about this I would love to hear from someone who has been in the Entrepreneurship for a longer time.

About long term goals. I see myself as a 25 year old who influenced lives of many with his idea/service I have 10 million in assets and no intention of stopping here. Living in a city where my business will grow (LA, New York, Paris, London) currently I live in Slovenia where chances of success are slim because people here are not big on spending they are scared of leaving their 9 to 5 "secure" jobs.

I'm at a stage of hoarding every idea that comes to my head but most of them are silly and not so influential as I want them to be but I won't stop writing down each one that come to my head, deadline I set for myself is until I reach 18.
If anyone can suggest me how could I stimulate my brain to start coming with more ideas especially good ones.

I would like my business to be a perfect example of CENTS (no dropshipping or any of things you see from "youtube gurus") and I'm prepared to learn and listen to everyone that has anything to say.

I'm thinking of joining a course from Dan Pena he seems like a very influential guy to me (I dig his in your face approach) but still I'm sceptical that It's going to help me with a problem I'm currently facing (finding the right idea)

Any real estate fanatics here yes I love it to but what I figured out today is that real estate is not going anywhere so I won't spend that little money I make with bartending if can use it to make something BIG.

So thank you for reading my first thread if you need help with anything or have any more questions I'm will do my best.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
My goals for the next years are to finish school and join the military
Why do you want to join the military?
Nothing wrong with that, I'd just like to know.
I wanted to be an RAF pilot, I was in the Air Training Corps, ATC, but I loathed science because of the lousy teachers at school so I didn't study hard enough to get the entry qualifications.
I would have joined the army but it was the height of the Northern Ireland conflict and too many boys were coming home in body bags or worse, dismembered or disfigured, not something a 16 year old relishes.

I'm learning gastronomy (cooking, service, barman...)
Are you planning to revolutionise military food? Turn them into gastronomes, epicureans?
I know they say an army marches on its stomach but it's not known for gourmet food.
Actually that could be fastlane, teaching army chefs how to produce quality meals. Although as I recall Jamie Oliver didn't do so well trying to revolutionise school meals.
I can say that these books changed my perspective of how wealth is acquired but I would love to see what your favorites are.
TMF is my current favourite
I read Dale Carnegie a long long time ago
Titles I remember:
Devil take the Hindmost, a history of stock market bubbles & crashes
Ways of Seeing, I forget the author
Sleep Thieves, Stanley Coren
Then there's most of the Canon, English literature, Homer to Samuel Beckett
Essentially I was always reading a couple of books at any one time, one for knowledge one for pleasure, which was also for knowledge lol

If anyone can suggest me how could I stimulate my brain to start coming with more ideas especially good ones.
You could Google James Altucher, he has some kind of scheme to develop your "idea muscle" I don't subscribe to his way of thinking, many do though

Welcome to the forum, any questions feel free to ask.

William Steele

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Apr 21, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
Congratulations on being so young. Finding this forum and reading those books by that age gives you a massive advantage.

If you're open to blunt suggestions, here's a couple.

Be careful if you join the military. The mindset the military breeds is "follow the rules and be a good soldier". Soldier being the keyword there. Solider, not general.

I've never met a veteran that became a successful businessman, but I have met dozens of veterans that were either homeless or good employees.

Becoming a real business owner with real revenues offering real value to people puts you further up the mountain than 99% of the human population. Which means you have to start thinking differently than everyone you know and ever will know. The military reinforces the opposite mindset in you that becomes just another barrier you have to push through.

Why make it harder on yourself if you don't have to.

Your other point about joining a course. I wouldn't until you know where you want to go first. With extreme specificity. More information is not always the answer. In fact, it usually makes you overthink, distracts you, and overwhelms you.

Figure out what you want to build first. What kind of company? What do you want to be doing on a daily basis for at least 10 years?

That can take a while to figure out, which is why it's important to try lots of things to figure out what you like and what you don't like.

Take the Myers Briggs personality test if you haven't. That will give you a good compass to navigate with afterward.

Then find the best course on that subject, the biggest company in that industry, and go to town.

Good luck.

P.S. Keep reading books, the biggest correlation I've observed with broke (average) people, is average people never read... ever.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Why do you want to join the military?
Nothing wrong with that, I'd just like to know.

Since I started getting to know the business world and people inside it a lot of them joined the army said that it was the best thing that ever happened to them and if they wouldn't go they won't be where they are now. Because of that I naturally started to think that I should go too just for a few years to get my discipline straight.

Are you planning to revolutionise military food? Turn them into gastronomes, epicureans?
I know they say an army marches on its stomach but it's not known for gourmet food.

I am still in the search for the niche I want to capitalize on. I went to this kind of school because I have some skill in preparation of food so it is easier for me to finish education and still get something out of it.
I think what I love the most is the human and human responses to each other. I am thinking of an idea how to capitalize on that.
Most people I meet say that I was a born leader and I believe them and since elementary school I was the loud one that wanted to lead and had no problem talking to a big group of people I actually like it haha it gives the adrenaline boost not many other things can especially if you know you did a good job.
So because of that I think that you could put me in any situation and a niche that I know nothing about and still come out great I would just get a group of people around me that know what they are doing and give them the confidence in pursuing my vision.

I like sales maybe something in this area to gain some capital.

What do you think about that should I find something more exact ?

You could Google James Altucher, he has some kind of scheme to develop your "idea muscle" I don't subscribe to his way of thinking, many do though

Never heard of him thanks for the suggestion I will check him out.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Be careful if you join the military. The mindset the military breeds is "follow the rules and be a good soldier". Soldier being the keyword there. Solider, not general.

I've never met a veteran that became a successful businessman, but I have met dozens of veterans that were either homeless or good employees.

I completely agree with you I was thinking of going there for a year or two to get discipline and to add to my life story something like that.
Do you know any other way how to develop a more powerful mindset and discipline?

Your other point about joining a course. I wouldn't until you know where you want to go first. With extreme specificity. More information is not always the answer. In fact, it usually makes you overthink, distracts you, and overwhelms you.

Wow powerful words. I needed to hear that, I noticed that I'm getting to obsessed with information and not the process of actually starting.

That can take a while to figure out, which is why it's important to try lots of things to figure out what you like and what you don't like.

I will do anything I get my hands on. The process of learning new stuff is what I like the most.

THANKS for the tips.

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
UPDATE, 05.07.2020
I started to learn about sales.
Started implementing techniques to everyday life to convince people to say yes and making them fell great about their decision. I can't believe how interesting is this.

If you know the book: The Psychology of Selling by Brian Tracy I recommend it to anyone reading this thread.
I believe sales knowledge is necessary because it can be implemented into any deal you make not only the one where you exchange something for money.

I'm really happy for anyone that can tell me how they started what to look for at the start or what time they had the "YES that's it" moment and how it felt.

Every time I get one of those I get so pumped that my whole day is better.

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Because of that I naturally started to think that I should go too just for a few years to get my discipline straight
Do you feel you don't have any discipline?
The military will teach you a lot of things, discipline, teamwork, leadership, self-reliance, resourcefulness, honour, courage, self-sacrifice and they'll even teach you vocational skills.

There are lots of people who've had successful business after military service, who do you think runs defence contractors, private security, equipment manufacturers?

It's not the organisation that indoctrinates people, it's certain kinds of people that are happy to be indoctrinated.
Do you really believe you'll come out of the military a zombie without will or drive? Of course not!

People have spent years in concentration camps and gulags and still came out with their drive and spirit intact.

I believe sales knowledge is necessary because it can be implemented into any deal you make not only the one where you exchange something for money.I

Sales is everything, life is sales, every single interaction, even your own thoughts are sales. When you decide what shirt to wear, what to have for breakfast you're selling yourself on that idea whether you know it or not.

You might have the best idea in the world, but if you can't sell it, it's useless. Conversely, if you're a great salesman you can sell bad ideas.

Countries have gone to war because great salesman have sold bad ideas.

Sales is a superpower, use it for good not evil.

And anyone that says sales isn't the most important skill you can learn isn't a good salesman :hilarious:

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Do you feel you don't have any discipline?
The military will teach you a lot of things, discipline, teamwork, leadership, self-reliance, resourcefulness, honour, courage, self-sacrifice and they'll even teach you vocational skills.

Sometimes I fell I have a lack of it, but for the past few days I was reading Release your Brakes by Jim Newman and he talks about that the best way to do something is to just let the work flow and not using your strongest will power to make yourself do something you have to. I believe this is pretty connected to discipline in general.

I was thinking like this... I will start pursuing my vision as soon as I know exactly what I want it to be. But until then I will stay on my path.

How did you get to the point where you're at? What are your goals if I can ask?

Sales is everything, life is sales, every single interaction, even your own thoughts are sales. When you decide what shirt to wear, what to have for breakfast you're selling yourself on that idea whether you know it or not.

I can't agree with you more on that. It's amazing how many times a day I find myself in a situation where I have to convince myself of something, even something as easy as waking up early.

Good day :D

Odysseus M Jones

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
How did you get to the point where you're at? What are your goals if I can ask?
Oooh good question! That forced me to think about my life.
Essentially it's decisions I made, opportunities I took, pain points I experienced & people I met:
  • Left school instead of university
  • Traveled instead of career
  • Hated certain jobs that forced change
The hated job got me into sales where I met the person who encouraged me to travel. The travel led to living half my life in Asia where I experienced different cultures, mindsets, industries & businesses that wouldn't be possible if I'd stayed home.

My goal is a business in Asia involving certain British modern classic cars which I'll fund with the proceeds of my next venture.

I was thinking like this... I will start pursuing my vision as soon as I know exactly what I want it to be. But until then I will stay on my path.
Yes, do that & take every opportunity you can to experience new things.
Travel if you can, you'll learn so much more so quickly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.