The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Will Reach $10,000 USD monthly in Self-Publishing.

joanna

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Apr 14, 2011
Reading/London, UK
I second the sentiment above. Way to make lemonade out of lemons :)

I think the most important thing is to find the best writing approach that works for you. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to process. Good luck with the other half of the book. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Thanks for the support guys!

UPDATE:

I've about started to pick up my word count again. My word count ever since the injury has been quite slow but it seems that today I caught a bug randomly in the mindless amounts of words that I was putting together and then started piecing together nice bits for the story.

I hate to say it but i actually enjoy the feeling of meeting my word count of the day now. It's a good feeling that keeps up that I met my word count and that my story is moving along. Ususally for some reason if I don't meet my word count, it can be a real drag on my day I find. Weird.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well. My 2nd book that I released earlier just got another two sales this week! PUMPED! But no review yet :(

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
My 2nd book that I released earlier just got another two sales this week! PUMPED! But no review yet
Forgive me if you've posted the answers I'm about to ask for earlier in the thread. I'm now reading so many of these that it's cutting into my writing time, and alas, I have no time to go back looking for info.
So, my questions. Have you posted your book links? I do support and read books by authors I 'know' through social media, and although I'm a bit behind, would do that for you as well, unless it's a genre that just completely turns me off. Steam punk comes to mind.

If you're remaining anonymous, as I am, I understand. If you haven't posted and don't want to, but would be interested in my opinion, you're welcome to PM me. I have read and kept confidential several of the authors who post here.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Forgive me if you've posted the answers I'm about to ask for earlier in the thread. I'm now reading so many of these that it's cutting into my writing time, and alas, I have no time to go back looking for info.
So, my questions. Have you posted your book links? I do support and read books by authors I 'know' through social media, and although I'm a bit behind, would do that for you as well, unless it's a genre that just completely turns me off. Steam punk comes to mind.

If you're remaining anonymous, as I am, I understand. If you haven't posted and don't want to, but would be interested in my opinion, you're welcome to PM me. I have read and kept confidential several of the authors who post here.

I haven't posted my books up on here. I think i'll do that when I join the INSIDERS but simply because of it's public domain and exposure of this forum, I wouldn't want others to see. I would definitely send you a copy of my book. What's your e-mail? Or we could PM.

I am a bit shy when it comes to sharing my work though, I do feel like my work is quite shitty compare to the others that I've seen, if you ask me.

Thanks for the support :)

UPDATE:

My word count is gradually picking up :) I've pumped out about close to 2K today in an hours worth of time. I'm feeling quite satisfied now but know that I can definitely do better.

Other than that, nothing else to update with. How is everyone else?

jimr

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jan 5, 2012
London, UK
Well done on upping the word count. Doesn't it feel great every time you break through a new barrier?

When I had my first 5k day I felt almost euphoric until I read over what I'd written - half of it needed some serious editing. I settled back into my normal routine of crafting my stories at a rate of about one thousand words every thirty three minutes (basically, writing 3,000 words per day) and the quality soon went back up.

I'm sure I can hit, and beat, my previous 5k figure but the wake up call of my first effort makes me realise that I need to temper speed with quality.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Well done on upping the word count. Doesn't it feel great every time you break through a new barrier?

When I had my first 5k day I felt almost euphoric until I read over what I'd written - half of it needed some serious editing. I settled back into my normal routine of crafting my stories at a rate of about one thousand words every thirty three minutes (basically, writing 3,000 words per day) and the quality soon went back up.

I'm sure I can hit, and beat, my previous 5k figure but the wake up call of my first effort makes me realise that I need to temper speed with quality.

Hell yea it felt great! I hadn't felt like that in a while.

I'm currently pumping out 2k of words coherently of course. So luckily I wouldn't have to correct it *fingerscrossed.

I'm in the process of rereading the 2k to 10k book again.

UPDATE:

Didn't really get to type much today but pumped out about 1.5K words today.
I find that writing and making it work without deleting has proved TREMENDOUS in making my word count go up. The fact that we're typing on a computer allows us to pump out words easily but I find that as easily as it comes out, it's also easier as ever to delete it. That is the problem I've been facing the past several weeks.

I pump out a good amount of words and then realize that I have to delete some because I THOUGHT it didn't work. Ever since I implemented the notion to NOT delete any of the words I type, I find my story and characters EVEN FASTER and BETTER than I had if I deleted. Following DWS's stuff, I find that my creative side knows more about stories than my logical and rational side ever would. So i've been trying to implement some ideas of just letting the words flow onto the page without deleting or letting my rational side come into contact with the words.

BY FAR it has been the best move. I feel that I've barely just honed into my creative side and that i'm barely scratching the surface. I think that if I start to find other alternatives to come into contact with my creative side without my logical rational blocking my way, I can hone in on that inner subconcious and voice that has come to watch and read so many different stories, to let it all out.

Just my tip of the day and what I've learned so far.

ALSO i've been highly contemplating joining the INSIDERS. Really. I feel that perhaps my stuff that I share should go in the INSIDERS forum since it's literally my progress thread.

Thoughts?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
ALSO i've been highly contemplating joining the INSIDERS. Really. I feel that perhaps my stuff that I share should go in the INSIDERS forum since it's literally my progress thread.

Personally, I love the INSIDERS section, and would definitely recommend it if you're interested. There's some great stuff there, but much of the best stuff is unrelated to your personal fastlane path (writing/authorship/fiction).

On your current path, this progress thread is probably in the perfect place (the "Outside"), because this is where most of the authorship progress threads are. If, however, you decide to reveal your pen name on the forum, and don't want it searchable, moving your progress thread to the Inside would probably make sense. But when/if you do that, your audience for your posts will be considerably smaller, since not all of the authors are INSIDERS, and thus, wouldn't be able to read or respond to your posts. Hope this helps!

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
Personally, I love the INSIDERS section, and would definitely recommend it if you're interested. There's some great stuff there, but much of the best stuff is unrelated to your personal fastlane path (writing/authorship/fiction).

On your current path, this progress thread is probably in the perfect place (the "Outside"), because this is where most of the authorship progress threads are. If, however, you decide to reveal your pen name on the forum, and don't want it searchable, moving your progress thread to the Inside would probably make sense. But when/if you do that, your audience for your posts will be considerably smaller, since not all of the authors are INSIDERS, and thus, wouldn't be able to read or respond to your posts. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply man. Sounds great. Definitely purchasing a subscription after I start making some simply for the sake of sharing ideas with like-minded individuals.

UPDATE:
Finished up my novel. Now I'm getting the cover being done and outlining my next novel. Currently raking in only 1 sale as of last week. Pennies pennies pennies. All the 50k+ Earners started somewhere right? Haha.

I've noticed that one of my genres are picking up most of the cash so I might have to drop my second work to pursue the one that's making money. Other than that, How is everyone doing?

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yes and no. Mine is a definitely "in progress" journey, so I'm hoping to show the steps I take on what will eventually come a profitable venture.

ROBugatti

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Apr 25, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Throw all of those goals out.

Change your whole mindset.

Make your ONLY goal to be to provide books that people read and enjoy.

Then, all of the rest of your goals will come true.

Change the focus from YOU to THEM.

I've found this to be true for me. I had too many "goals" or "projects" going on that writing/publishing either was taking WAY too long or just didn't happen at all. Most recently, I decided to unsubscribe from all the b.s. mailing lists I'm on (IM-related), forget about other ways of how to make money, and finally just FOCUS on what I need to do to write and publish more. I feel awesome now, as I have a real purpose to every day!

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
An INSIDERS thread for self-publishing would be cool to have. This is a great forum - but there are resources we are all sensitive about - and trolling is greatly reduced on the inside.

I'm enjoying this post.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
@Mark Anthony Le last seen Jan 3, 2014.

Let's hope he's busy writing.

Hahaha it's been going well!

I've been so busy lately. The self publishing income has been trickling in from books I've written when I first started.

It certainly isn't easy. But it definitely is doable.

I'll post later tonight with a better update. Right now I'm running in between meetings and consulting.

It turns out that as I was taking off with my self publishing career, my offline service consulting project I had going from years before took off completely unexpectedly.

I'm in the midst of juggling both and I know MJ warns against breaking monogamy. So it's been kindve a juggling act for both sides of the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
It turns out that as I was taking off with my self publishing career, my offline service consulting project I had going from years before took off completely unexpectedly.
I'm in the midst of juggling both and I know MJ warns against breaking monogamy. So it's been kindve a juggling act for both sides of the project.

And that's pretty much what's happened to me. I work 2 jobs but as I focused on writing, freelance work came on its own out of nowhere. Even if it's just a brief project it's distracting, but it's okay because money calls. I just remember what the ultimate goal is.

Mark Anthony Le

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Nov 29, 2011
NY, New York
And that's pretty much what's happened to me. I work 2 jobs but as I focused on writing, freelance work came on its own out of nowhere. Even if it's just a brief project it's distracting, but it's okay because money calls. I just remember what the ultimate goal is.

Haha someone who understands me. Yea, I'm currently in the works of both. I might have to make a decision soon to just focus on one and drop the other completely.

But in regards to my publishing, money has still be trickling in from the books I've written.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I Will Reach $10,000 USD monthly in Self-Publishing.
maybe it's a good idea to set a precise deadline.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.