The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO I wasn't supposed to be privy to this kind of information...

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
And i'm so thankful that I opened up MJ's book and found this community. Thank you.

A little about myself.

I was born to a single mother. Nothing was ever really planned early on in my life. Me and my two siblings (all different fathers) were mostly dragged around from one bad decision to the next. Being the oldest, I bore the brunt of the consequences. There were no role models around me. The people that you looked up to were the ones who could hold any type of employment, gainful or not. In the neighborhood I grew up in landing a city job at $15 /hr meant that you "made it". I decided pretty early on that I was either going to be a victim or a survivor. I did what i was told were the "right things to do". I managed to stay out of trouble and escaped a traumatic home life with two college degrees from a top state school, 10k in debt and my beautiful wife.

Being the first in my family to graduate from college (and putting myself through school with absolutely no assistance of any kind) was a big boost for me. I started to really believe I could break out of the poverty echo chamber that was the community I grew up in. By the age of 21 I had 5+ years of professional experience, a spotless record, and extensive volunteer experience. I confidently applied to jobs looking to land an entry level gig at one of the few major companies in my city. This was my first major lesson when it comes to money and economics. I graduated college in the middle of the 08' financial crisis. My social science degrees that I worked so hard to get weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Thousands of applications later and I didn't receive a single response. Back to retail it was.

I recently read a statistic that the generations proceeding economic downturns never really catch up when it comes to pay and career growth. Ironically, I am grateful that I couldn't find a job after college. I'm thankful that I was able to see the slow lane and it's effects so early in my life. I was able to see that the fantasy life trajectory society paints for us is an illusion for many. It forced me to build side hustles and start my own businesses. It's given me an insatiable desire to learn how money works and to reach financial independence. It's made me question every single thing I was ever indoctrinated with growing up and replace the poverty mindset with a fast lane mindset.

I'm not financially independent yet, but my wife and I are on our way and starting to enjoy the process. We are excited to be a part of a like minded community, and I am truly thankful to @MJ DeMarco for being the real "Rich Dad" that I've never had.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great intro, some similarities to my own. Welcome aboard.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
A very warm welcome. I too had a bad start in life, including dropping out of high school to help my mother who was worn down from working 70 hours a week.

Becoming financially independent (and more) is on your horizon. Go for it!

If interested you can find my story by doing a search with the keywords: Featured User.

Walter

Last edited:

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
A very warm welcome. I too had a bad start in life, including dropping out of high school to help my mother who was worn down from working 70 hours a week.

If interested you can find my story by doing a search with the keywords: Featured User.

Walter
Thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Tjkingmc

Contributor
Sep 19, 2020
North Carolina
Thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Walter
Small world. I actually recognized your name from the proven Amazon course. My wife and I are in the process of building the replenishables side of our Amazon business. We're looking forward to reading your book and getting to the importing module!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Small world. I actually recognized your name from the proven Amazon course. My wife and I are in the process of building the replenishables side of our Amazon business. We're looking forward to reading your book and getting to the importing module!
That's good to hear. Congratulations on getting a free copy of my importing book. The Replens system taught as part of the Proven Amazon Course is quite amazing, with many people reporting great success. It shows that a simple idea can develop into a great business.

Walter

Last edited:

LordGanon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
My social science degrees that I worked so hard to get weren't worth the paper they were printed on. Thousands of applications later and I didn't receive a single response. Back to retail it was.
Hahahaha!

Welcome to my world, where I would find myself applying as a garbage collector through a temp agency (!) with a MA in sociology and a PhD in media studies after teaching at two "elite" universities.

Although garbage collector was a job I really liked. Suited me, somehow. Starting work at 5AM, getting home around 2PM. And I would get so much exercise. Also, it's actually paid really well. Unless you're hired through a temp agency.

It actually paid better than art therapist in a psychiatry earlier on. *shrugs*

See, I don't look down on "simple work". And I actually enjoy it, especially manual labor. What I hate is simple work you do at a desk. So I decided I had to build a job to get rid of the necessity of a job.

Seems like you're in a similar situation. Welcome!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Great post @Fox, very much appreciated! How can I reach out to you? I sent you a PM a while...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hey @Lex DeVille ! Having some issues with the NOREGRETS code? Udemy thinks it has expired...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...

Top Bottom