The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to learn about finance/economy/rates/investments/etc.

PTFastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 28, 2017
Europe
After reading TMF one of the next steps for me is keep reading and keep learning.

In one section Mr. DeMarco talks about the importance of knowing more and feeling comfortable with some finance/economics basics and concepts in order to be in control. Understanding what are rates, why they change, what happens when they do, passive income strategies, why insurance exists, markets, investments, types or corporations, etc. These are topics I know almost nothing about.

I read the TMF because of a recommendation so I thought this would be a great place to ask for next recommendations. Can you guys recommend any good books I could start with? The other day I was in front of a shelf in a book store and there were so many options that I feel I really need the opinion from someone who actually read any.
And also, will most of the knowledge and concepts be transversal across countries? Being European should I focus more on local legislation and practices or the basics will be the same?

Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
Lonnie Scruggs "Taking the Mystery Out of Money" is a great, simple nuts and bolts book that everyone should read. It explains the structure of debt in a way that a bright chimpanzee could grasp without being mind numbing. That book prompted me to buy a financial calculator. ( I'm 45, have owned bought and sold 4 houses, and only recently learning how to use a financial calculator.) It taught me how to use it and more importantly WHY to use it. If you read one book on finance read "Taking the Mystery Out..." but don't just read one. "Personal MBA" is a bigger picture economics book and is full of stuff you need to know. Read that one next. It's a little denser than the first, but not so much so.

Money is like an animal. It behaves in its own way, and you have to learn how it lives and breathes so you can capture it in the wild and get it to live in your home.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
If I had to choose ONE:

MmZdPjI.jpg

I also found Khan Academy useful if you like video/audio

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PTFastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 28, 2017
Europe
Thank you guys so much for the tips so far. I'm perfectly OK with audio and web content, the reason I'm more focused on finding books is because I currently spend at least 2 hours a day on the train so it's a great opportunity to read.

I'm currently going though this guy's content. It's pretty god damn AWESOME if you ask me!

Check it out... The Invest Local Book Blog.: Education
Looking at the books titles it seems more business selling focused. Do you think there is one that would be more suited for a finance/economy "novice" like me?

Lonnie Scruggs "Taking the Mystery Out of Money" is a great, simple nuts and bolts book that everyone should read.
That is the only one I can't find on any local webstore but you make it sound so great I might just import it!

If I had to choose ONE:

Great reviews! But at 35€ it's by far the most expensive book on my (currently 23) wishlist :(

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
After reading TMF one of the next steps for me is keep reading and keep learning.

In one section Mr. DeMarco talks about the importance of knowing more and feeling comfortable with some finance/economics basics and concepts in order to be in control. Understanding what are rates, why they change, what happens when they do, passive income strategies, why insurance exists, markets, investments, types or corporations, etc. These are topics I know almost nothing about.

I read the TMF because of a recommendation so I thought this would be a great place to ask for next recommendations. Can you guys recommend any good books I could start with? The other day I was in front of a shelf in a book store and there were so many options that I feel I really need the opinion from someone who actually read any.
And also, will most of the knowledge and concepts be transversal across countries? Being European should I focus more on local legislation and practices or the basics will be the same?

Thank you!

Google

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!