The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to build an apartment rental website.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
So the title says it all, I have an idea for a business that I don't want to completely disclose, but for the most part I want a website say apartmentrent.com to be able to have customers list their apartments and so forth.

What I'm having trouble with, is building the website. I have very little knowledge in this area, and I don't want to hire someone else to do it, I like to learn things myself. So if you guys could give me a some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Back to back "I want to start a ____ business" threads in 2 days? You need to stop jumping ideas everytime you have a new one or find one thing wrong with one.

As far as building the website goes, there are many threads with advice on that already. Just start learning, google it.

You are struggling before you have even started.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Back to back "I want to start a ____ business" threads in 2 days? You need to stop jumping ideas everytime you have a new one or find one thing wrong with one.

As far as building the website goes, there are many threads with advice on that already. Just start learning, google it.

You are struggling before you have even started.
I can't help it if I'm successful in more than one business. But thank you.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
That was a serious response, it's called constructive criticism.

But there is no point in me trying to help you if you are going to get defensive as soon as someone tells you something you don't want to hear.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
That was a serious response, it's called constructive criticism.

But there is no point in me trying to help you if you are going to get defensive as soon as someone tells you something you don't want to hear.
I'm looking for a more technical response. I wouldn't be posting here if I hadn't already spent hours researching and building my own websites.

D

Deleted35442

I'm looking for a more technical response. I wouldn't be posting here if I hadn't already spent hours researching and building my own websites.
LOL what? Hours spent "researching and building my own websites"? What is so hard then if you indeed spent "hours" to find hosting, follow the documentation of Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal, buy or steal a theme, and slap content together? I don't see how you think this "INSIDERS" section you seem so proud of will avail you in your pursuit of web noobery 101.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
LOL what? Hours spent "researching and building my own websites"? What is so hard then if you indeed spent "hours" to find hosting, follow the documentation of Wordpress/Joomla/Drupal, buy or steal a theme, and slap content together? I don't see how you think this "INSIDERS" section you seem so proud of will avail you in your pursuit of web noobery 101.
Thanks for the reply!

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Forget the idea. This website will need sign in forms. I can tell there will be a lot of mySQL/php programming that you will need (even with wordpress). This is 20x harder than the basic html/css/java. You will have to hire somebody to do the mySQL/php for you. But you also need to know how to do basic mySQL and php so you can manage it. Try thinking of an idea where you only need html/css and some java, trust me. Anything that needs sign in forms (which requires a database to keep the info) takes tons of time to learn

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Forget the idea. This website will need sign in forms. I can tell there will be a lot of mySQL/php programming that you will need (even with wordpress). This is 20x harder than the basic html/css/java. You will have to hire somebody to do the mySQL/php for you. But you also need to know how to do basic mySQL and php so you can manage it. Try thinking of an idea where you only need html/css and some java, trust me.
Thanks!! Yeah it's what I've discovered so far. I just don't want to hire a developer because 1. They're expensive. 2. I like to have control over the process.

Guess I'll stick to the hard way for now and keep learning. I appreciate the info.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Thanks!! Yeah it's what I've discovered so far. I just don't want to hire a developer because 1. They're expensive. 2. I like to have control over the process.

Guess I'll stick to the hard way for now and keep learning. I appreciate the info.
Let me know when it's done..

in 3 years.

Just hire a dev. With something this big WP and pre-made themes aren't going to cut it. Put out a poor product and people will not trust you. WP would be fine for a bare-bones MVP.

Build a MVP with WP.
Contact RE investors to have rentals ready.
Find investor for real site.
???

The questions are part of the job man.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Actually making a generic website is pretty easy. You just need a theme and WordPress.

http://themeforest.net/item/casa-book-or-rent-property/9274828
http://themeforest.net/item/wp-rentals-booking-accommodation-wordpress-theme/12921802

I did not check if above themes support new users list apartments, but I am sure there is a theme for it.

You might need some functionalities beyond what the theme can offer, try to find the right plugins for that. Setup everything and you are ready to go in 3-4 days if you have the know-how.

If you have no idea about what I am talking about watch a youtube video on how to setup wordpress. Most are around 1-2 hour long but you will understand things better.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
"I want to build a X website, how do I do it?" These threads are everywhere.

[HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Actually making a generic website is pretty easy. You just need a theme and WordPress.

http://themeforest.net/item/wp-rentals-booking-accommodation-wordpress-theme/12921802

I did not check if above themes support new users list apartments, but I am sure there is a theme for it.

You might need some functionalities beyond what the theme can offer, try to find the right plugins for that. Setup everything and you are ready to go in 3-4 days if you have the know-how.

If you have no idea about what I am talking about watch a youtube video on how to setup wordpress. Most are around 1-2 hour long but you will understand things better.

That type of answers is providing value.

justmy2cents.

D

Deleted35442

This.

Vladimir-Putin-laugh-gif.gif

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012

Yep... go for the WP route... there are already themes for real estate / letting agents. Just take it and use that until you can afford to get something custom made for your needs.

DaveC

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Oct 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
You want to build an apartment rental website with an "undisclosed" spin to it...but have you actually vetted this with apartment renters? Landlords? Building a two way marketplace like this is not as easy as building a website.

earlymornings

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Feb 16, 2014
"You" want to build an apartment rental website or "the market" wants it?

Chapter 30 of the book! Take notes, it's golden!

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Mmh, I would have the perfect answer for this, but I can't type it as I don't have a keyboard.
I don't want to buy one though, I want to build my own. Any advice?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Mmh, I would have the perfect answer for this, but I can't type it as I don't have a keyboard.
I don't want to buy one though, I want to build my own. Any advice?
And that's totally possible, I'd suggest taking an old one apart to see how it works. Or go on YouTube, I'm sure there are millions of tutorials. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
There are a few php packages you can look into. Search for 'directories' or 'classifieds'.

If you know some basic php and html, you should be able to hack your way through it.

I don't have a specific recommendation, but I built a directory and hacked my way to unique features by building off an existing php/MySQL solution.

Edit: Just make sure the one you pick is still being developed. Mine doesn't get updated much, but I'm committed so I can't change now.

samkwak

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
May 5, 2016
Okay, 1.Go to GoDaddy.com and look for Managed Wordpress hosting site.
2. Email me for a promotional coupon: sam@samkwakofficial.com
3. Purchase a Real Estate Investor related Theme forom Themeforest.com
4. Install the theme and edit pages using Visual Composer.
5. Set up WooCommerce to accept Paypal payment
6. Install a plug in called WLP or WPL. It's a real estate listing plugin.

I have a 2 hour webinar to teach you how to build your own real estate website for $10. Let me know if you're interested. The webinar also gives away coupons and promo codes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser141

No No No
In the spirit of this site...do this.

Contact me, I have a themeforest developer license bought and paid for for wp residence real estate theme.
I also have a completed site,where you do not have to undergo a 6 weeks learning curve(experienced) or 6 month learning curve (non experienced)

All premium plugins are added, just say the word and i will customize to your liking.
a demo site is ready for you to view, although Ireland properties are listed.

I read here, that a thank you is the way to succeed,that's all I ask.

paying it forward

Thank You

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
No No No
In the spirit of this site...do this.

Contact me, I have a themeforest developer license bought and paid for for wp residence real estate theme.
I also have a completed site,where you do not have to undergo a 6 weeks learning curve(experienced) or 6 month learning curve (non experienced)

All premium plugins are added, just say the word and i will customize to your liking.
a demo site is ready for you to view, although Ireland properties are listed.

I read here, that a thank you is the way to succeed,that's all I ask.

paying it forward

Thank You
Thanks! I will do that! :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads