The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I received this item free/discount in exchange for my honest review.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Everyone who has products on Amazon knows what this means.

Companies/entrepreneurs are trying to game the review system using services such as SnagShout. Of course "game" is a subjective term, but from my point of view (which is rarely a consensus viewpoint) any reviews which contain this verbiage I potentially disqualify from my buying pool. Not just the review, but the product entirely.

This practice is pretty much standard in the world of supplements. And I'm sure it works fabulously.

But it doesn't work for me.

Now I scan the reviews and look for this verbiage. If I find it, I'm less likely to buy the product.

As soon as I see a product with a shit ton reviews followed up with "I received this item free in exchange for my honest review" or "I received this item at a discount in exchange for my honest review" I immediately have my BS meter sounded.

More than likely I click NEXT.

I speculate this practice (which again, I'm sure is a profitable marketing tool) has a limited shelf life in terms of effectiveness, and legality at Amazon.

Just an FYI from a minority point of view from the standpoint of a business owner who thinks the product is just as important as the marketing. When I see this phrase, I get the hint that your product just isn't good enough to warrant real reviews that don't need to be bribed by discounts or freebies.

Feel free to discuss.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I feel the same way.

Bloggers/IGers/Youtubers etc approach me all then time wanting a free sample to feature my product on their sites/profiles. I always tell them "yeah sure you can feature it, that would be great, but we're not giving out free samples. Feel free to buy our product and review it honestly if you feel like it.", because I dont want to deal with this disclaimer shit that everybody puts on their blogs, profiles or videos. Makes me cringe every time I read/hear it on Amazon, IG, blogs etc. I think it devalues the product a lot just reading this 1 single line.

So the result of me saying no to free samples for bloggers etc? I still get a ton of blog posts, reviews, referrals etc because I have a great product :cool:.

Doesnt mean that I'm not a fan of that particular marketing technique. Same for influencer marketing which is similar with the disclaimer shit. I'd just find a way to do it under the radar.

Last edited:

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Definitely agree with this and I feel like it's getting out of control.

A friend of mine was contacted by an Amazon vendor a few months ago to see if he would be interested in reviewing a few of their products. He agreed and they sent him a few gadgets. They specifically state that in case he does not like the product, he should contact them first, let them know what the issue is, so they can fix it. They are very responsive, address the issues promptly and make changes as they see fit, product quality is great as well.

Yesterday he received another product, headphones, which are absolute shit, low quality plastic garbage with superbad sound. He told me he can't and won't review those as he would have to give 1 star. Then he told me to take a look at the listing.

What do you see?

5 star reviews ALL over the place for a product that was confirmed to be absolutely crappy.

Why?

People are so afraid that vendors stop sending them free stuff that they review it 5 stars anyways.

I've noticed that I've taken more time to research the authenticity of reviews than researching things about the actual product and at least for me, it has hurt the credibility of the whole rating system massively.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
When I buy stuff on Amazon I usually ONLY read the 1 or 2 star reviews. I dont even look at the bullshit 5 star ones.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
There are 3 brand new competitors in my specific space on amazon. All of them started within the last 8-9 months. All of them with hundreds of reviews. I've looked over those reviews and at least 90% of them have that disclaimer. Verified purchases without the disclaimer? 1-3 stars.

I never used those types of services. When ever I release a new product I will go to my VIP (customer) email list. Offer a discount for them to purchase on amazon. However, it's never 90-100% off. Usually only 30% off (I have done larger discounts though).

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Avoided a product I was about to buy yesterday for this exact reason. As soon as you see the ' XX product in return for product review' spiel, I begin to question every single review on there. I mean at low volume fake reviews can easily take a 2.5/5 product (which i remove from search) to 4.5/5.

Although I do think Amazon will have something up their sleeve with this issue, it is unfortunate the 'problem' is driving more sales for them, thus most likely not making it top priority for them to fix.

Maybe like 95% of people wouldn't even consider the power a review actually has (social proof, rankings etc) and so wouldn't even suspect they would be abused.

I can imagine that when more noise gets made about crud products with 4.5/5 ratings is when things will start to change.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
When ever I release a new product I will go to my VIP (customer) email list. Offer a discount for them to purchase on amazon. However, it's never 90-100% off. Usually only 30% off (I have done larger discounts though).
To explain further...

I don't state in those VIP emails that the discount is in exchange for a review. What is most important to me when launching a new product is sales. Sales equals higher rankings which equals more sales. So the discount is to spur sales which gets higher rankings. I let my follow up emails via amazon request the reviews. My best selling product is now in the 3rd position for it's main keyword phrase (top 2 positions occupied by one of the oldest and least expensive brands on the market). Beating out every single competitor with hundreds more reviews than me.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Everyone who has products on Amazon knows what this means.

Companies/entrepreneurs are trying to game the review system using services such as SnagShout. Of course "game" is a subjective term, but from my point of view (which is rarely a consensus viewpoint) any reviews which contain this verbiage I potentially disqualify from my buying pool. Not just the review, but the product entirely.

This practice is pretty much standard in the world of supplements. And I'm sure it works fabulously.

But it doesn't work for me.

Now I scan the reviews and look for this verbiage. If I find it, I'm less likely to buy the product.

As soon as I see a product with a shit ton reviews followed up with "I received this item free in exchange for my honest review" or "I received this item at a discount in exchange for my honest review" I immediately have my BS meter sounded.

More than likely I click NEXT.

I speculate this practice (which again, I'm sure is a profitable marketing tool) has a limited shelf life in terms of effectiveness, and legality at Amazon.

Just an FYI from a minority point of view from the standpoint of a business owner who thinks the product is just as important as the marketing. When I see this phrase, I get the hint that your product just isn't good enough to warrant real reviews that don't need to be bribed by discounts or freebies.

Feel free to discuss.
I understand this completely.

However, being in the fitness market (Personal Trainer/3 years) and building a SaaS (Personal Training Software for gyms) and Working in a GNC (over 2 years) i can easily spot a shitty supplement by its list of ingredients a mile away.

That being said, a supplement company (no need to name them, so it doesn't seem like i am promoting them) recently had a rep send me "Free" product in exchange for a review.

Over $100 worth. A months supply of a few different types. To be honest it was worth it, and in this companies particular case. They are on the verge of really either failing or striking it huge in the Supp Market. So in their case i can understand why they might do this...

If they give 1 person free supps, in exchange for review and 2 other people buy... Well they are just taking advantage of an opportunity to scale.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
I think it really depends on the industry that you are in. With mine it is very common for manufactures to send out samples to big names and no one thinks anything of it for the most part depending on the reviewers reputation.

I have done it in the past when I was just launching my new brand of products but now I follow a model more like what @AllenCrawley does.

I think for the average people (ie. consumers not producers) they don't think twice about it for the most part.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think for the average people (ie. consumers not producers) they don't think twice about it for the most part.

Not sure about that.

Some of my bad reviews (the few I've read because I rarely read them) for TMF say something like "I'm not sure how this book got all these great reviews, must be DeMarco's millionaire buddies, or he paid for them."

I think people are generally skeptical.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Not sure about that.

Some of my bad reviews (the few I've read because I rarely read them) for TMF say something like "I'm not sure how this book got all these great reviews, must be DeMarco's millionaire buddies, or he paid for them."

I think people are generally skeptical.
Those are the same people who would have given you a great review, if you offered the book to them for free.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Unfortunately, I did discount some of my product when I launched and the first review now has that disclaimer which sucks. What sucks is that I didn't even want reviews from people who got discounts. I just wanted sales. But I think that they were so used to having to do reviews that they wrote reviews. Now, I just lower my price to get the sales up.

But it does suck on Amazon now. I go to the reviews and look at the date of the first review. If it's 2015 and they have 600 reviews I move to the next product. But any product that has reviews starting from 2010-2013 I generally will believe their review count.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I sent a note on this to Amazon senior executives.

Amazon senior executives don't give a shit about it. They endorse it.

Some consumers are smarter. Most are not. Most will take the aggregate star rankings and 100+ reviews and call it good.

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
I completely agree. And I actually do think Amazon will crack down on the review exchange practice in the near future.

This past year they took care of all the "fake"/purchased reviews, and sued most all of the companies & individuals that sold those reviews.

Exchanging reviews is become a bit out of hand, and I just think it's a matter of time before Amazon does something about it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I completely agree. And I actually do think Amazon will crack down on the review exchange practice in the near future.

This past year they took care of all the "fake"/purchased reviews, and sued most all of the companies & individuals that sold those reviews.

Exchanging reviews is become a bit out of hand, and I just think it's a matter of time before Amazon does something about it.

Amazon sponsors it currently.

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States

Interesting. I guess the key difference is that "purchased" reviews came from people who never even used the product (or didn't leave a disclaimer).

Having that disclaimer at the end of your reviews could definitely turn some potential buyers off, so I guess it's a trade off. It maybe helps with short-term success, but lowers your credibility & could effect the long-term success.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I sell on Amazon and do not like the product review dance. IMO, it does skew what the consumer sees. The system is also damaging to the sellers.

In the beginning I did trade discounted product for immediate reviews. It bit me in the a$$. Most of my discounted product wound up on fleabay at higher, but discounted prices. Their sell prices were killing my brand and price structure. I spent many days fighting with EBAY sellers and getting my products delisted. I still have one seller to knock off, but he is out of country and listing at much higher price.

I tried zonblast and that almost destroyed my product line. You can move 100's of product in seconds. It is used to boost Amazon ranking. Most of my blasted products were then used to beat me up, again on ebay.

I tried some FB review groups. Most of them are stay at home mom's. Lots of girl drama. Conditions of sale to them do not allow for resale. However, I spent several days again getting the product off of ebay.

The shortcuts may work for some, did not work for me. I am still growing and still learning but I don't do the discount for review thing anymore.

Last edited:

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
The best thing about these services is I find a lot of them have their reviewers post pictures with their review. How important the product images are obviously depends on the niche but with housewares I often see the professional photos the listing has will look amazing, then you see all the customer photos and it looks like garbage.

I find it hard to immediately write off a product based on the sellers giving away units. But checking the product images and as mentioned above, reading the negative reviews are my go-to next steps after noticing the disclaimer text.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
I think Amazon will eventually do something but not yet.

Once it starts effecting customers & they start complaining then amazon will start protecting there customers & marketplace. But in the short term I think they will be going after people who are selling the 200th listing of private label product.

If anyone has ever listened to the podcast that teach people how to private label products (or FB groups) you know that these people have no business acumen, and have to be held by the hand every step of the way & "get depressed" when things don't go right or need motivation to get up early and get to work. Once it gets over saturated we will see the short term money chasers faze out because you will need to actually be strategic besides outsource your copy, images & give discounts for reviews.

There's no such thing as Amazon Businesses because they lack control. Scale Amazon as a channel & use that free cash flow to build an E-commerce website asset.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Some consumers are smarter. Most are not. Most will take the aggregate star rankings and 100+ reviews and call it good.

Going to have to agree with Vigilante here. Most consumers don't notice or care. If a competitor can give away 400 units of product, and can still be in the top 500 of his category 6 months later, despite 70% of his reviews having the disclaimer (according to the fakespot link above), then clearly, it doesn't matter to most people.

We notice, because we live in Amazon's world day in and day out.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm unaware of any inorganic reviews for products of mine, but I don't see a problem with people giving away or heavily discounting their product in hopes of getting a review. It's not gaming the system, it's playing the game. Whether you flat out ask for a review in exchange for the free/discounted product or do it a few days later in a follow-up e-mail, it's the same thing and don't try and pretend that it's not. The end goal is to get favorable reviews for social proof.

We are aware of the game being played because we sell shit.

Would you discredit a 1, 2, 3, or 4-star review that was "in exchange for an honest review"?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No matter what the review is, it isn't genuine because it's been bribed by a payment (either the product was free or discounted.)

Once the element of reciprocity comes into play, the review is no longer an "honest review."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(social_psychology)

That said, it doesn't mean it is or isn't effective.

Last edited:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
There is a car repair youtube channel called Chris Fix. He clearly states that he buys everything that he reviews with his own hard-earned money, and I think that is one reason why he has had a lot of success. People like getting a genuine review of a product.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
No matter what the review is, it isn't genuine because it's been bribed by a payment (either the product was free or discounted.)

Once the element of reciprocity comes into play, the review is no longer an "honest review."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocity_(social_psychology)

That said, it doesn't mean it is or isn't effective.

You're absolutely right. The overwhelming majority for reviews for such giveaways are 5-stars. I have one add-on cheapo product that I sell, that I wouldn't rate higher than 3-stars, and I got nothing but multi-paragraph 5-stars from the reviewers.

The reviews are definitely skewed. You have to really mess it up bad, or have a totally crap product to get a 1-star out of those folks.

Last edited:

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
For me it is kind of necessary to give away units in exchange for reviews. I don't have the option to email my Amazon customers asking for a review because that is not allowed in Germany.
Also I believe that most people tend to give a product review when they are unsatisfied. So even though my products are awesome, I think I would get more 1-3 star reviews than 4-5 stars in the long run.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
I don't have the option to email my Amazon customers asking for a review because that is not allowed in Germany.
It is not allowed with any Amazon marketplace. When people say they email their customers these are emails gotten from a previous launch or from their own ecommerce store.
Also I believe that most people tend to give a product review when they are unsatisfied. So even though my products are awesome, I think I would get more 1-3 star reviews than 4-5 stars in the long run.
A simple, well written follow up email using a system like feedbackz can alleviate this and have customers leaving reviews more often. You can also arbitrage some of the 1-3 star reviews and have your customers contact you directly to get a problem fixed instead of leaving a review.

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
It is not allowed with any Amazon marketplace. When people say they email their customers these are emails gotten from a previous launch or from their own ecommerce store.

A simple, well written follow up email using a system like feedbackz can alleviate this and have customers leaving reviews more often. You can also arbitrage some of the 1-3 star reviews and have your customers contact you directly to get a problem fixed instead of leaving a review.
The problem is that I am not allowed to email anyone under any circumstance without their permission. Not even my eCommerce store customers. If I do, it could cost me a lot of money if one of my customers doesn't like it. German law :/

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You're absolutely right. The overwhelming majority for reviews for such giveaways are 5-stars. I have one add-on cheapo product that I sell, that I wouldn't rate higher than 3-stars, and I got nothing multi-paragraph 5-stars from the reviewers.

The reviews are definitely skewed. You have to really mess it up bad, or have a totally crap product to get a 1-star out of those folks.

Primarily because they want more free products to review.

If you noticed that a freeViewer chronically left negative reviews, would you send them a product to review?

Me neither. And they know that.

And in general, people are happier with stuff they get for free. Easier to overlook the flaws of a $100 freebie than a product you spent $100 on.

It's really not up for debate (the fact that free products generate more favorable reviews).

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

This is a good strategy for Amazon because:
It makes more people (the reviewers) sign up for Prime.
It's a great way to get new Amazon customers: those who want free stuff and have never ordered from Amazon
It gets customers writing reviews, spending more time on Amazon, etc...

If I were an Amazon, I'd leave this in place too. I bet they have numbers on how many new people signed up just to buy heavily discounted products, and how much regular stuff these new people have bought afterwards. I bet it's super +EV.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.