The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Need A Virtual Assistant

Topics relating to managing people and relationships
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am starting to accumulate several projects that I need a good virtual assistant for. I suppose I could dust off my copy of 4HWW but I would just as soon have a recommendation from within the forum. I haven't hired one for years, but last time I did I think I might've used Odesk.

Do you have a virtual assistant that I could hire that you have used previously? Please post any experiences… Good or bad… But you have had using virtual assistants.

Is there a "better" country to hire them from with regard to their diligence, skill set, or English language use? Return on investment? Should I be looking for a bargain basement price, or like in other areas pay more to get more?

What are the top sites to use to find a quality virtual assistant from your own personal experience?

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
I am starting to accumulate several projects that I need a good virtual assistant for. I suppose I could dust off my copy of 4HWW but I would just as soon have a recommendation from within the forum. I haven't hired one for years, but last time I did I think I might've used Odesk.

Do you have a virtual assistant that I could hire that you have used previously? Please post any experiences… Good or bad… But you have had using virtual assistants.

Is there a "better" country to hire them from with regard to their diligence, skill set, or English language use? Return on investment? Should I be looking for a bargain basement price, or like in other areas pay more to get more?

What are the top sites to use to find a quality virtual assistant from your own personal experience?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't had that much experience, but occasionally I have hired myself virtual assistents and programmers through elance for different projects. For me it has been 50% success rate. Have hired some good ones and some who just make your life more complicated. However I used more of goodwill and gave people chance without doing much of screening, what I should have done. I am sure I will be using more assistants, but this time I will be following dkts guide: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/outsourcing-dkts-how-to-guide.29672/#post-150305

Next time will totally interview via Skype as well because that way you can see better the person you are hiring, you can ask questions, figure out what motivates them and see facial expressions, hear the tone of the voice. Also you can see how much they have interest in the job, if they are willing to Skype video chat, then awesome. If they are not, it just shows how much interest they have in the job. I try to hire motivated people, will have less problems in the long term.
But I am sure there are way more experienced people here than I am on this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Perry Rico

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2015

Thanks in advance.
I think I know one, can you send me in particular what you need and I'll see and inform her just to make sure both of you fit.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX

Thanks in advance.

I might could help you with some of it, depending on what's involved.

And I speak English :)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

:)

I will drop you a note later.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

Thanks in advance.

I used to sell VA services a few years back, so to answer your questions:

You get what you pay for. And even if there are 'top level' with "master degrees" VAs from a bad company, I would still go to a reputable company and get their agents instead. Not only is there the issue of english speaking, but the actual comprehension of what you want them to do. I saw a client once write after the agent took 3 weeks and over 20 hours to do a task - "what?! this wasn't what I asked for for research. I could have googled this in half an hour, you wasted my time and my project is not going to be finished."

A trick this company had was to put the best english speaking person on the phone, and then give the task to another agent who was cheaper. Baseline was $5/hr. I told you you get what you pay for.

Few years ago phillipines were better than India, not sure if that changed.

Honestly, I'd get someone for $8-10 from US if I went this way.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Down side is you are from the Carolinas. They speak southern. Might have a bit of a language barrier.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Down side is you are from the Carolinas. They speak southern. Might have a bit of a language barrier.

Ooohhh…..what's that thing called when you punch someone in the arm? lol

I'll save that for when I see you at the summit.

If this forum wasn't like a silent movie and had audio I would gladly prove you wrong ;)

P.S. I'm not originally from the Carolinas

P.S.S. You have inspired me to move even more. ha

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks in advance.

https://www.upwork.com/

There are diamonds in here, but you'll have to sift through and find the one's with great reviews who fit what you're looking for.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I just found one on Upwork last Monday. and I'm NOT SHARING. lol. She is really good. I pay her $10/hr. I interviewed a few in the 3-15 dollar/hr range, from all over the world. I decided I needed someone in my general time zone. She's in Brazil, so she's 4 hours ahead of me.

I needed someone to help me with keeping my schedule and projects in order and not letting anything fall through the cracks. I told people that I interviewed that, "I will occasionally give you specific projects to do, but for most of your work, I need you to tell me what to do. How will you handle this?"

That turned out to be a really good question because most of them didn't respond well to it. One didn't even answer the question. The one I hired said, 'oh I have no problem with that. I was an executive assistant to a group of VP's for years at a bank in Russia.' Ok, twist my arm. You're hired.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Closing this thread as I think I have solved

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%