The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need a lunch box that keeps food hot for hours! Suggestions?

Emanuel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 23, 2014
USA
Last edited:

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel

mgore714

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 3, 2012
Problem identified. Problem solved.

wavebox-portable-microwave-oven-10.jpg

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Do any of you guys have any suggestions for a lunch box that will keep food hot!

I am searching for a simple solid lunch box that could keep my lunch hot for at least 4-5 hours. Typically I leave my lunch in my car while at work but can't bring food that requires me to heat up in a microwave by the time I go on lunch break due to the fact that I refuse to use a microwave 30 something other people are using. (germaphobe I guess)

All of the lunch boxes I find are for like soup and chips and what not. I want something I can put some damn MEAT in... Meat, potatoes, rice, pasta, green beans, etc... I found a couple that I guess i will have to make work if worse comes to worse but still haven't found the perfect one.

Surely there is something out there??

Thanks! :)

dinner.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Yes I do. Make it, sell it, get feedback, make it better, sell it, repeat.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I knew these types of comments were coming, lol. Thanks
My apologies, insomnia is starting to get to me, and I completely missed the last part of your post.

Perhaps you could make it into separate sections, and make the inside out of some kind of thermo-plastic. Structure one side to be more like where the food is contained, and the other to be more like a lid.

Feel free to mess around with the design a bit.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Perhaps you could make it into separate sections, and make the inside out of some kind of thermo-plastic. Structure one side to be more like where the food is contained, and the other to be more like a lid.

Feel free to mess around with the design a bit.
While I appreciate your advice on how to go about creating this product myself, as I did notice the opportunity while thinking about it, I am actually just looking for a lunch box to purchase. I was asking if anyone had any suggestions.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
I've played with this in my head on several occasions. We can keep our coffee/cocoa/tea hot all day long, but for some reason, a plate of food, not so much. Opportunity.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
We can keep our coffee/cocoa/tea hot all day long
Yea, there seems to be plenty of stuff on the market that will keep drinks, soups, chili, stew, etc hot. But as you said.. not so much for some good solid foods.

Thanks for the suggestion @Emanuel

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I'm thinking the heat would dehydrate/dry or disintegrate the food over time, not like liquids.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You could use chemical heating units, like the ones in the military, but I don't think they're reusable and they can get expensive

A Thermos can do it if you're willing to cut your steak and vegetables into bits

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
However, it also kills many of the nutrients inside your food.

So does cooking food normally. I wonder how long the pizza delivery boxes would work for.

Sent from my fish using splash

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm thinking the heat would dehydrated/dry or disintegrate the food over time, not like liquids.
Thats the thing he could possibly create a lunch box which plugs into the 20v amp in your car/usb on your computer (crazy but possible) to keep it hot whilst multiple units inside gets filled with water, released over a period of how long you want to keep your food warm to maximize taste and stops the food from drying up.

Suit

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 25, 2014
EU
why not use a army food container?
norwegian-food-containers.jpg

http://www.denbigharmysurplus.co.uk/army-stores/Norwegian-Food-Container.html

I have one of these, works perfectly for soup, and for keeping beer cold.
Maybe it can be used for containg steak too( in a smaller separate food container)
Somekind of microwave heat pad in container should keep meat hot enough.

pros
cheap (at least in EU)
will keep beer cold/soup hot (soup was still hot after 8+ hours in a fridge, without lid)
tough

cons
probably will turn heads ,if carried in public transport etc
bulky for everyday use ?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think you lunch would be very good if heated for hours. Steak would be super well done and soggy if no moisture can escape.

And just based on thermodynamics there would be no product that could insulate itself that much to keep food that hot without an external power source.

If you wanted it to just be warm, then as Ted said your food may have grown more bacteria then you wanted.

If you have access to a microwave I would just use it. Get yourself good microwaveable containers and leave the lid on.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Get yourself good microwaveable containers and leave the lid on.
Right now it's looking like this is pretty much my best option. I guess I'll have to suck it up and use the microwave. I've worked at this place for 2 years and have avoided using it thus far. It's good to know that the microwave will kill any germs/bacteria though. Not so good that it also kills the nutrients in the food.. But, what are you gonna do?

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Right now it's looking like this is pretty much my best option. I guess I'll have to suck it up and use the microwave. I've worked at this place for 2 years and have avoided using it thus far. It's good to know that the microwave will kill any germs/bacteria though. Not so good that it also kills the nutrients in the food.. But, what are you gonna do?

Microwave does not kill germs. The temperature does.

C.S. Abbink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Aug 13, 2014
I think it would stew all the foods. Especially things like pasta's would be affected by the temperature. Meat would either get stewed or get really dry.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
My son hates the school cafeteria food and as a result brings a bag lunch daily. He often takes a thermos container with warm food. It keeps things hot until lunchtime (3-4hrs). I jam all kinds of stuff in there. Soups, pasta, pot stickers (dumplings), pot roast w/ egg needles, mac & cheese, etc.

here is the one he uses - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermos-Foo...ss-Container-16oz-Midnight-Blue-/321591194262

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.