The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I like to write, I like business, how do I establish myself as a new author?

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
I used to write books as a kid and sell them to the neighbors, I wrote during the Marines, I've wrote most of the time I've dealt with hardship and I do it well. Now I can't seem to get up everyday without feeling like a failure since moving into civilian life from the military. Over the past few years, I dabbled the stock market, lost ~70% of everything I had and then finished off with the rest in idiotic gambling. I can't seem to get out of this rut, a feeling of rock bottom. I'm 25 years old and it's sad to say I felt more successful when I was 19.

OK, No more snowflake bull shit, into the meat of it:
Through thoughts of my strengths and what I enjoy, I know I can write stories. Recently, books and short stories I write always come out really dark and depressing, books that I don't like to read but I like to write. I like to write dark is the best way to describe it. For example, when I was 11 I wrote a book about a kid who came from a good family and got into drug dealing, the fast life (not fast lane ;) ), murder and the like until he eventually got shot to death (to put it as an 11 year plot, so subtle). The moral of the story was, don't become a gangster, it's not worth it.
On a level of marketing, what are ways to market a book especially if it isn't a "how to" or "self help" kind of book. If it really could appeal to more masses? I feel like if I wrote a book I discredit my own strengths, like the thousands of books that just litter amazon or a book shelf I feel it would be another cog in a cluttered machine.. how do you really separate yourself? How do you really gain leads with not much money to begin with? I will admit, I'm ignorant and these are personal beliefs, maybe it's easier than I think? I know it's not going to be take some cardboard paper as a book binding with computer paper and sell them to my neighbors for 25 cents I did as a kid, we're talking bigger... haha

Edit: Current Situation: Own an online apparel/decal business that generates minimal income. Marketing student ~1 year left.

Questions I would like to understand:

1.) What are tools to becoming a successful author? (i.e. ways to market fictional books) (Is it worth it or is it littered with hope to be authors?)

2.) Where are good places to begin if you want to upload a copy, how much is an investment? How do you reduce uncertainty before a brand new author spends 1000s$ on publishing?

Thanks y'all. I appreciate any feedback/comments/critiques.
-Dylan

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I used to write books as a kid and sell them to the neighbors, I wrote during the Marines, I've wrote most of the time I've dealt with hardship and I do it well. Now I can't seem to get up everyday without feeling like a failure since moving into civilian life from the military. Over the past few years, I dabbled the stock market, lost ~70% of everything I had and then finished off with the rest in idiotic gambling. I can't seem to get out of this rut, a feeling of rock bottom. I'm 25 years old and it's sad to say I felt more successful when I was 19.

OK, No more snowflake bull shit, into the meat of it:
Through thoughts of my strengths and what I enjoy, I know I can write stories. Recently, books and short stories I write always come out really dark and depressing, books that I don't like to read but I like to write. I like to write dark is the best way to describe it. For example, when I was 11 I wrote a book about a kid who came from a good family and got into drug dealing, the fast life (not fast lane ;) ), murder and the like until he eventually got shot to death (to put it as an 11 year plot, so subtle). The moral of the story was, don't become a gangster, it's not worth it.
On a level of marketing, what are ways to market a book especially if it isn't a "how to" or "self help" kind of book. If it really could appeal to more masses? I feel like if I wrote a book I discredit my own strengths, like the thousands of books that just litter amazon or a book shelf I feel it would be another cog in a cluttered machine.. how do you really separate yourself? How do you really gain leads with not much money to begin with? I will admit, I'm ignorant and these are personal beliefs, maybe it's easier than I think? I know it's not going to be take some cardboard paper as a book binding with computer paper and sell them to my neighbors for 25 cents I did as a kid, we're talking bigger... haha

Edit: Current Situation: Own an online apparel/decal business that generates minimal income. Marketing student ~1 year left.

Questions I would like to understand:

1.) What are tools to becoming a successful author? (i.e. ways to market fictional books) (Is it worth it or is it littered with hope to be authors?)

2.) Where are good places to begin if you want to upload a copy, how much is an investment? How do you reduce uncertainty before a brand new author spends 1000s$ on publishing?

Thanks y'all. I appreciate any feedback/comments/critiques.
-Dylan

Hello and welcome,

Writing a book is a daunting task and it wont get you anywhere without a following.. There are tons of people that want to get into the 'self-help' area and they are the ones who really need it most.

If you really think you can do a writing approach to business, I would suggest to try and start a blog. They're cheap to get started and there are tons of wordpress themes that look fantastic. There are tons of ways to monetize a blog ranging from ads, affiliates, and even stores. That can lead to a book. If you can keep a blog going with a post around 400-500 words every 1-2 weeks about a topic you're passionate about, power to you.

Keep in mind, a blog is a lot of work and they need a good amount of time before they start generating revenue, don't expect money coming in until 6+ months.

Now, this isnt a road I would take myself. Honestly, its because it's something I've tried already. Writing a blog about business will get you nowhere if you've never really gotten ahead in business in the first place.

I would suggest you focus on a business grow it into something viable, and then maybe consider a blog. That way you'll have more material to work with and connections to build the blog off of.
"

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
Hello and welcome,

Writing a book is a daunting task and it wont get you anywhere without a following.. There are tons of people that want to get into the 'self-help' area and they are the ones who really need it most.

If you really think you can do a writing approach to business, I would suggest to try and start a blog. They're cheap to get started and there are tons of wordpress themes that look fantastic. There are tons of ways to monetize a blog ranging from ads, affiliates, and even stores. That can lead to a book. If you can keep a blog going with a post around 400-500 words every 1-2 weeks about a topic you're passionate about, power to you.

Keep in mind, a blog is a lot of work and they need a good amount of time before they start generating revenue, don't expect money coming in until 6+ months.

Now, this isnt a road I would take myself. Honestly, its because it's something I've tried already. Writing a blog about business will get you nowhere if you've never really gotten ahead in business in the first place.

I would suggest you focus on a business grow it into something viable, and then maybe consider a blog. That way you'll have more material to work with and connections to build the blog off of.
"

Thanks for your input about blogs. I have thought of doing one of those but I know too like the Commandment of Entry, it's pretty cluttered in the blog world! I know this would give me a leg up; however, if I got a following from it. I appreciate the tips and insight on gaining a following and some lessons learned.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
If it really could appeal to more masses? I feel like if I wrote a book I discredit my own strengths, like the thousands of books that just litter amazon or a book shelf I feel it would be another cog in a cluttered machine.. how do you really separate yourself? How do you really gain leads with not much money to begin with?

You're not asking the right questions. Actually, you're asking questions when you should be writing your first book.

If you want to be an author, then the very first step is to write a book.

I've actually made some money writing and I guarantee you that is the first step I took.

No one is going to waste their precious time telling you how to do something when you haven't shown one iota of commitment to what you want to do. If you came in here with a post, "Hey I've written 25 children's books and have some success on Amazon. Any other ideas to expand my reach?" people would be much more willing to help.

Right now you're still in the phase where you don't know what to do. And I don't help people that don't know what they want to do.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're not asking the right questions. Actually, you're asking questions when you should be writing your first book.

I've actually made some money writing and I guarantee you that is the first step I took.

No one is going to waste their precious time telling you how to do something when you haven't shown one iota of commitment to what you want to do. If you came in here with a post, "Hey I've written 25 children's books and have some success on Amazon. Any other ideas to expand my reach?" people would be much more willing to help.

Right now you're still in the phase where you don't know what to do. And I don't help people that don't know what they want to do.
He said that he has written some books.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida

If you don't help people who don't know what to do then I have a tip for ya buddy. Click back and don't reply to a post telling me you don't want to help me.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
There's also a member named @ChickenHawk that has a lengthy thread. I'm too lazy to look for it for you. :)

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
Write. Write a lot. Write like your life depends on it. Because it does.

@MTF has a great thread on publishing that documents his journey from 0 books to becoming fastlane over the span of a couple years. He was even about to quit at one point if I remember correctly...

Edit: Found it.
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/building-an-online-publishing-company.54315/

TKDTyler thanks for taking the time to search that for me and get me that link, it's much appreciated!
Edit: The link wasn't working for me, I'll try and see if I can find it through search.

Jon.a, haha no worries brother! I will take a look through their posts! Thanks. I'm starting to realize there's a lot more than I thought deep within the forum, just have to dig a little.

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
MTF's thread is on the inside.

Can you find a forum online where people like your style of writing? Start writing in there and finding out what resonates with people? I did a call with TedM that you might find interesting (about posting in forums vs "blogging"). I link to a master thread where I talk to forum members in my signature.

Also... if you're struggling to adjust to civvy street then consider reaching out to people who understand what you're going through and can help.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
The short version is that if you want to write, write.

If you already have some material ready to go you can start uploading it onto kindle. I know, i know, the bar is low and everybody can do it. That's all true enough but you need to take action. Putting your work up for sale is action. There are a million and fifty blogs and articles about how to be successful on kindle. Read a couple to get the general idea, then just do it.

Today is the easiest time in history to self publish. Today, coincidentally is also the best day to take action. So, set out today to get one if your stories on kindle. Don't F_ around trying to make sure it's your best work ever. Don't F_ around at all. Just pick one, upload it. Rinse and repeat a few times. Then focus on driving traffic to them.

You do need to drive traffic to your Kindle books, but there is no place to drive them until you have a book or a few e-published. So go hit that button first.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014

I would ammend that with,
If you want to write, write. But make sure you write about something people care about?

Identify what types of literature you enjoy writing and really try to understand your target audience.

Who are they? What are they looking for? Where do they hang out? How do they discover new reading material? How can you get your book in front of those specific eyes?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What are tools to becoming a successful author?

Write. And continue writing.

Forget about money.

Become the best you can be, and be a writer that people will want to read.

If you are good enough, the gravity of your work will attract success, and an audience.

While advertising and marketing can find eyeballs for your work, it doesn't keep eyeballs if the work is poor. Only good material does that.

The link wasn't working for me

It's an INSIDERS thread. Membership required.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Forget about money.

If you are good enough, the gravity of your work will attract success, and an audience.

While advertising and marketing can find eyeballs for your work, it doesn't keep eyeballs if the work is poor. Only good material does that.
Thanks for this MJ.

Writers write.

Keep producing, preferably not in a vacuum.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
MTF's thread is on the inside.

Can you find a forum online where people like your style of writing? Start writing in there and finding out what resonates with people? I did a call with TedM that you might find interesting (about posting in forums vs "blogging"). I link to a master thread where I talk to forum members in my signature.

Also... if you're struggling to adjust to civvy street then consider reaching out to people who understand what you're going through and can help.

Thank you I will check that out! It can be a real battle brother but I do know that it's getting smoother, and being so low before makes you feel a little less fear ;) which is a good thing, thank you again.

If you already have some material ready to go you can start uploading it onto kindle. I know, i know, the bar is low and everybody can do it. That's all true enough but you need to take action. Putting your work up for sale is action. There are a million and fifty blogs and articles about how to be successful on kindle. Read a couple to get the general idea, then just do it.

Today is the easiest time in history to self publish. Today, coincidentally is also the best day to take action. So, set out today to get one if your stories on kindle. Don't F_ around trying to make sure it's your best work ever. Don't F_ around at all. Just pick one, upload it. Rinse and repeat a few times. Then focus on driving traffic to them.

You do need to drive traffic to your Kindle books, but there is no place to drive them until you have a book or a few e-published. So go hit that button first.

I see what you're saying and you're right, I can have loads of unused stories but they won't go anywhere unless I proliferate them. Thanks for the advice!!!

I would ammend that with,
If you want to write, write. But make sure you write about something people care about?

Identify what types of literature you enjoy writing and really try to understand your target audience.

Who are they? What are they looking for? Where do they hang out? How do they discover new reading material? How can you get your book in front of those specific eyes?

Ironically I never really think those questions when I write haha, I just let my mind do it's thing. Thanks for these questions to think/research on, it's truly appreciated!

Forget about money.

It's an INSIDERS thread. Membership required.

Thanks MJ DeMarco and I must say your book, The Millionaire Fastlane , has literally been one of the best books I've read.

You're right, and I think that's exactly my issue, I begin writing and then part way through I question my own work and it's perceived value. I question, is it valuable? Will people like it? I think just going for it and focus on the writing is the right step.

OK, I have about 4 chapters left in the Millionaire Fastlane , so I will definitely be finishing it today, actually right now ;)

Aisha

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jan 28, 2016
You can also check out some of the non-fiction books by Chris Fox. I recently stumbled upon him and I've been mapping out my own journey. He also has a YouTube channel where he gives some great advice for newbie writers/wannabe authors. But like others have said, you have to write. And preferably every day. Make it a habit.

Here's one of his videos on Writing to Market. But he has loads of other playlists that I'm sure you'll find interesting.

Write to Market - YouTube

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I don't write fiction, but I know a little about the industry. If you want to make it big in fiction, you'll probably have to write in one of the big genres like romance or erotica. In addition to that, you'll have to write series (standalone books generally don't sell well and it's hard to market them). Smaller genres can work, too, but there'll be less earnings potential and it's generally better to be a small fish in a big pond because once you get traction, you can grow extremely quickly.

It's worth it if you're willing to write A LOT (and I mean, A LOT). Bestselling self-published authors in fiction make $100k+ per month, but it's hard work. Also, please keep in mind that writing fiction is more like a job than a business. When you stop releasing new titles, your income will most likely quickly drop (unless Amazon starts promoting your books).

You can publish a book for less than a few hundred bucks. Uploading your book on Amazon and other retailers is free. Your biggest costs when starting out will be cover design and editing.

If you have any specific questions (and you can't find the answer with Google), feel free to reach out and I'll try to help, though like I said, I don't write fiction so I don't really know the specifics.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.