The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I just made $42,000 on my first real estate deal!

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
And it only took 9 years, haha.

The first house that my wife & I bought after we got married we paid $126,000. When we bought it it was a $0 down deal, at the time you could get a first mortgage for 80% and a HELOC for 20% to avoid paying any PMI. During the 3 years we lived there I rapidly paid off and closed the $25,000 HELOC.

When we decided to move to a much nicer house, I sold the old one with owner financing to a handyman and his wife for $140,000 with $8,000 down at 8.5% interest. They had decent income but poor credit related to some medical bills. He was supposed to refi in 5 years but I dont think he tried very hard and he was a reliable payer so I just left him be. I netted around $4,700/yr between his contract payment and my underlying mortgage payment. My mortgage was paid down to $80,000 during this period and he still owed me $122,000, which netted me the $42,000.

The return on this deal was 31% if you figure my investment was the $25,000 HELOC minus his $8,000 down payment. The IRR would have been closer to 40% had he paid it off in the 5 years.

I've done much more lucrative real estate deals in the last 9 years, but this wasn't too bad for my first. I could have sold it with a Realtor and probably would have gotten beat up on price, paid commission & closing costs, and probably netted $0 at the end.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
Good job! What's your view on real estate market right now?

I am educating my self to enter RE world, but seems like the prices are too high now.
Everybody is buying, lots of cash buyers.
All RE agents/brokers/turnkey sellers tell now is good moment(cause they want make their $) But majority of guys who RE landlords themselves recommend to wait.

I just keep reminding my self "buy when everybody is selling, sell when everybody is buying".
Meanwhile I am learning the neighborhood I am interested in and keep reading BP forum but filtering advices of realtors/agents/turnkey sellers cause these guys are often their to sell.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
This really isnt a good question for me. Anything I buy is below-market, meaning I could sell it this afternoon for a profit. So its always a good time to buy from my point of view. However, it does seem harder to find deals in this market. I bought two this week, but have nothing else pending which is pretty rare for me.

dude_abides

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Feb 7, 2017
California
This really isnt a good question for me. Anything I buy is below-market, meaning I could sell it this afternoon for a profit. So its always a good time to buy from my point of view. However, it does seem harder to find deals in this market. I bought two this week, but have nothing else pending which is pretty rare for me.

Any good resources out there you recommend for learning successful real estate investing models?
I have some experience, I've done about 8 flips between 2003-2007... I made a ton of mistakes and managed to eek out a little profit.. but certainly nowhere near retirement money. I'm at a point now where I think I might want to give it another try, but approach it much smarter, with a solid business model... any thoughts? Is real estate your main vehicle right now?

Cheers,
BL

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Yes real estate is my main gig.

The key is to not overpay for property, if you get it cheap enough you can make a number of mistakes and still come out ahead. Right now though its pretty competitive and tough to get great buys.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.