The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I just don't know what to do

A post of a ranting nature...

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
How are you doing, guys?

So a bit of backstory: started a digital marketing agency and made some decent cash. Covid hit and everything went right out of the tank. Decided to get a job to make ends meet in November and it reminded me how much I wanted to get out of this rat race.

I've tried to brainstorm a plan but nothing is coming my way. Of the few ideas that came were: supplement drop shipping, t-shirt designs for local area and a meal prep service. I feel in a brain fog after I got this full time job. After 4 months, I have nothing of a healthy diet, feel drained and quite frankly, am pretty depressed with my lack of direction. I'm also still living with my parents because my move out plan was cut short by Covid. I don't like making excuses but it is what it is. I feel like I'm back in square zero since I started my entrepreneurial and self improvement journey. What was the point of all of this if I ended up in an office job I hate, you know?

I just don't know what to do. I hate myself every day for being in an office and not being out there trying to at least hustle it out. I'm worried about making ends meet without a steady job (digital marketing wasn't scaleable for me) and I've still got a shitty car that's left me stranded more than once. I'm really just venting more than anything, but if you guys have any sort of advice or guidance, I would appreciate it greatly. It was thanks to this forum I was able to actually take some action.

Some good things happening right now:
1) I'm making good money that I'm investing in assets
2) I've managed to make a dream come true, which is recording an album
3) I'm physically well

I'm thankful for this but I don't know where to go. Funny how I'm making money yet I feel tied down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Living with your parents, shitty car, full-time job. Why not go back to freelancing and start building up the reserves you need for another business, or turn your freelancing into a business? Do what has already proven to make you money, but this time, when things stop working, adjust your approach and keep going. No matter what business you go into, you're going to have to become a problem solver who can figure out how to keep the business alive.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
You started an agency and managed to make some cash not terribly long ago?
I've yet to make a dollar on my own and have failed just as bad as you have described, and I can't stop showing up every day.

IDK about you, but in your position I'd be able to use that taste of success as precious fuel to keep going.

A job is just that, a job. I can understand how living at home could be demoralizing, but it can just as easily be seen as a blessing.

My only advice to you is to get out of your head and get back out there. In theory, it should be so much easier with a track record of success, even if your new direction isn't related to that one business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have you read the books? I'm sensing money-chasing, not value creating, and not value skewing. That's why you're lost.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
First off, be patient with yourself. It might help if you see this office detour as a necessary step on your journey instead of something that's keeping you from accomplishing your dreams. Are you developing any skills on this jobs? Are you developing any skills in your free time? What are you doing to increase your capabilities to solve problems for others?

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Of the few ideas that came were: supplement drop shipping, t-shirt designs for local area and a meal prep service. I feel in a brain fog after I got this full time job. After 4 months, I have nothing of a healthy diet, feel drained and quite frankly, am pretty depressed with my lack of direction.
Probably the diet (and maybe lack of exercise) is keeping your mind down, besides the mental disappointment.

I wasted the first few years after Fastlane being brought down by similar mind-fog and unregimented diet as well into college.

What I did was come up with a series of cheap, but healthy recipes I could cook every day (eg soups, stir-fries, steamed) and either cook them quickly on the spot. Or I'd cook meals for the week in one bunch to fridge up for the weekdays (see r/mealprepsunday for meal ideas).

These days I don't do r/mealprepsunday stuff anymore, as I'm still stuck with family.
But as long I can just steam some corn or sweet potato or whatever...it's fine?

As for exercise, I realised if I planned to do too many exercises, my brain would just start telling me its too much and make excuses why I shouldn't do it. So I made a rule to AT LEAST do 10 push-ups a day. I slowly ramped it up to 30 push-ups a day. Somehow I feel less fatigued in the day although push-ups aren't really for general fitness...

You can come up with your own simple routines of exercising that only eat a few mins and don't need a gym membership. The Nerd Fitness' regular emails and articles always have something to say about quick exercise regimes.

Out of your three ideas, I felt the supplement and meal prep ideas have some substance...I myself would buy supplements and meal prep.

Top challenges for supplements would be safety and validity (i.e. you will need to test it and cleared by the FDA or whatever body, and reflect it on the copywriting for credibility), while the meal prep idea will have costing issues (even if you do it from home).

On costing issues...

For the latter, I get some cream buns from a lady who runs a home bakery. Buns are fantastic, uses high-quality ingredients. But because her prices are not high enough and she doesn't scale with home delivery (eg partner with some platform like GrabFood), it's hard for her to ramp up sales. So even with a bustling customer list, her profit margins are razor-thin...too thin to even hire additional help. She's also reluctant to hire extra help anyways...and somehow the dad and daughter aren't helping her out in the biz...

Some solutions on my mind would be striking a deal with select suppliers to give good prices (in exchange for a guaranteed clientele) or even to get a small loan to fund help or whatever expansions to improve revenue. But these steps only come once you already have something running...and of course, capital is needed.

I'd stick with Lex's suggestion on freelancing and ramping it up.

No matter what business you go into, you're going to have to become a problem solver who can figure out how to keep the business alive.
Thanks Lex. I have to remind myself of this daily.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Living with your parents, shitty car, full-time job. Why not go back to freelancing and start building up the reserves you need for another business, or turn your freelancing into a business? Do what has already proven to make you money, but this time, when things stop working, adjust your approach and keep going. No matter what business you go into, you're going to have to become a problem solver who can figure out how to keep the business alive.
Thank you Lex. I tried turning the freelance gig into a reliable thing but you're right. I'm always going to have to figure a way to keep the business alive

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Have you read the books? I'm sensing money-chasing, not value creating, and not value skewing. That's why you're lost.
I did read the books, but you're totally right, MJ. The grind and everything has made me lose track of what actually brings value and solutions. No excuses.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Probably the diet (and maybe lack of exercise) is keeping your mind down, besides the mental disappointment.

I wasted the first few years after Fastlane being brought down by similar mind-fog and unregimented diet as well into college.

What I did was come up with a series of cheap, but healthy recipes I could cook every day (eg soups, stir-fries, steamed) and either cook them quickly on the spot. Or I'd cook meals for the week in one bunch to fridge up for the weekdays (see r/mealprepsunday for meal ideas).

These days I don't do r/mealprepsunday stuff anymore, as I'm still stuck with family.
But as long I can just steam some corn or sweet potato or whatever...it's fine?

As for exercise, I realised if I planned to do too many exercises, my brain would just start telling me its too much and make excuses why I shouldn't do it. So I made a rule to AT LEAST do 10 push-ups a day. I slowly ramped it up to 30 push-ups a day. Somehow I feel less fatigued in the day although push-ups aren't really for general fitness...

You can come up with your own simple routines of exercising that only eat a few mins and don't need a gym membership. The Nerd Fitness' regular emails and articles always have something to say about quick exercise regimes.

Out of your three ideas, I felt the supplement and meal prep ideas have some substance...I myself would buy supplements and meal prep.

Top challenges for supplements would be safety and validity (i.e. you will need to test it and cleared by the FDA or whatever body, and reflect it on the copywriting for credibility), while the meal prep idea will have costing issues (even if you do it from home).

On costing issues...

For the latter, I get some cream buns from a lady who runs a home bakery. Buns are fantastic, uses high-quality ingredients. But because her prices are not high enough and she doesn't scale with home delivery (eg partner with some platform like GrabFood), it's hard for her to ramp up sales. So even with a bustling customer list, her profit margins are razor-thin...too thin to even hire additional help. She's also reluctant to hire extra help anyways...and somehow the dad and daughter aren't helping her out in the biz...

Some solutions on my mind would be striking a deal with select suppliers to give good prices (in exchange for a guaranteed clientele) or even to get a small loan to fund help or whatever expansions to improve revenue. But these steps only come once you already have something running...and of course, capital is needed.

I'd stick with Lex's suggestion on freelancing and ramping it up.

Thanks Lex. I have to remind myself of this daily.
Thank you for the words, man. Lack of exercise and a good diet has definitely got me in a bad state. I'm slowly trying to get back on track and funny enough, I also try and do pushups to at least keep some blood flowing.

I appreciate it and good luck on your journey

KenDunlop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 3, 2021
If you're feeling directionless my advice is to day-dream.
I've got a clear set of goals now and it all started when I deliberately started day-dreaming on the bus home from another dreary day at work. It's a technique mentioned in a book I read at the time.
Give yourself permission to fantasize up an awesome (but still possible) life and then see how you can actually get closer to it. Think of your perfect day. What's your house like? Who are you with? What are you doing with the time?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.