The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I just can't come up with ideas....

Idea threads

Jbrow327

Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Dec 22, 2022
I don't have any skills right now and it seems that no matter how much thinking I do, I just can't come up with a full cents business idea. I don't think not having skills is too much of a problem because I can always outsource the work to a professional.

How can I come up with a legit idea? What are your thoughts on a starting a business that doesn't meet all the cents requirements, and, what type of business would you recommend that would be?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Starting any business has to be a good thing, surely, even if it's not as good as you eventually want it to be. It's another way to be in touch with other people and that's a good way to find ways to help them. You could easily waste a lot of time just searching for the right idea.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Well, you certainly won't find your idea here. This, to my knowledge, is the place where you review your ideas, where you build upon them. Go outside, talk to people, see what their needs are. Success is awfully plentiful and loud if your ears are tuned to the correct frequency. Sometimes it's not philosophy that may help you reach an Eurika moment, it might just be pragmatism.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
How old are you? What jobs have you done in the past?

I think getting a good momentum behind you will always increase your odds at future businesses. Have you thought of simple ideas such as lawn care, carpet cleaning, pressure washing? Things you could learn in a weekend.

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
I don't have any skills right now and it seems that no matter how much thinking I do, I just can't come up with a full cents business idea. I don't think not having skills is too much of a problem because I can always outsource the work to a professional.

How can I come up with a legit idea? What are your thoughts on a starting a business that doesn't meet all the cents requirements, and, what type of business would you recommend that would be?
Are you sure you don't have any skills right now? Skills come in all forms, as well as your own wisdom, experiences, personal talents, abilities, and levels of competency.

1. What are your top biggest abilities you feel are strengths?
  2. What have you been reading lately?
3 KEY points from Jim Rohn (and if you are not familiar with Jim, you should be - he amassed a NET WORTH of over $500 million according to Forbes).
  1. "If you search, you shall find." So that is the way to discover new knowledge that creates ideas. Search. In order to find something, you must first search. Need a great idea to change your life? Rarely will it come out of nowhere, but if you make a diligent search for the knowledge you need, the right idea will come your way, often when you least expect it."
  2. "Missing skills, missing knowledge, missing insight, missing values, missing lifestyle are all a result of not reading books"
  3. "Learn to work harder on yourself than you do on your job"
It is time for some personal development to expand your knowledge and acquire skills.

LF

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL

So I've interacted with you once or twice in other threads you've made. From my perspective, the reason you're having trouble is because you're trying to come up with an idea to make money, rather than an idea to solve problems.

For example: You asked about making apps. You asked about a subscription-based business. You're not worried about skill because you can outsource. To me, it looks like the idea is to make the money, and what you're looking for is the "best"/easiest way to get there.

It's easier to come up with something when you start with a problem to solve. Once you've found that, then you can start asking the questions about how you get there. CENTS is a great framework to help you validate the problem you're setting out to solve, not so much the way you're solving it.

Jbrow327

Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Dec 22, 2022
So I've interacted with you once or twice in other threads you've made. From my perspective, the reason you're having trouble is because you're trying to come up with an idea to make money, rather than an idea to solve problems.

For example: You asked about making apps. You asked about a subscription-based business. You're not worried about skill because you can outsource. To me, it looks like the idea is to make the money, and what you're looking for is the "best"/easiest way to get there.

It's easier to come up with something when you start with a problem to solve. Once you've found that, then you can start asking the questions about how you get there. CENTS is a great framework to help you validate the problem you're setting out to solve, not so much the way you're solving it.
Thanks Skroob

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
What kind of people can you stand to be around? What industry? Go talk to them, find out what common problem they have. Then find a way to solve their problem. That's it. You don't have to come up with an idea. You just have to talk to people.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I don't have any skills right now and it seems that no matter how much thinking I do, I just can't come up with a full cents business idea.
This is your main issue right now. You should be working on developing skills.

Marketing, web design, video recording & editing, sales, whatever interests you.

Pick a path and go down it, because that’s when you will start to see “ideas” AKA problems that you can solve that people will pay you for.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az

Having hard skills is important, but as you suggested it is not absolutely required. You likely need a mindset shift and be willing to put in some good ole work (defined as things you don't want to do... Not the "Easy" things like posting and reading that everyone wants to do). From your post it seems like you've broken up business into "the idea" and the "skills" required to make the idea into reality. Fine.....but here's the problem. You think it will be fine to just outsource the skills, and you've come here hoping to outsource the idea! Whats left for you to do then? Cash the checks?

Anyways, don't be discouraged by lacking specialized skills. You can learn skills along the way and sometimes it's enough just to be the person there that is actually trying to solve the problem (whether they have the skills or not) while everyone else is scratching their heads. Be the doer.

If you want to try e-commerce, here is a thread I made to get you started.

Legitimately have no ideas that comes to mind? Maybe you need to get out more?

Lacking motivation and tried the standard advice? Try this.

Don't give yourself an out thinking everything has been solved. New solutions create new problems. As just one example, AI has just opened up pandoras box of problems to solve. Both difficult and easy.

Last edited:

Jbrow327

Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Dec 22, 2022
Having hard skills is important, but as you suggested it is not absolutely required. You likely need a mindset shift and be willing to put in some good ole work (defined as things you don't want to do... Not the "Easy" things like posting and reading that everyone wants to do). From your post it seems like you've broken up business into "the idea" and the "skills" required to make the idea into reality. Fine.....but here's the problem. You think it will be fine to just outsource the skills, and you've come here hoping to outsource the idea! Whats left for you to do then? Cash the checks?

Anyways, don't be discouraged by lacking specialized skills. You can learn skills along the way and sometimes it's enough just to be the person there that is actually trying to solve the problem (whether they have the skills or not) while everyone else is scratching their heads. Be the doer.

If you want to try e-commerce, here is a thread I made to get you started.

Legitimately have no ideas that comes to mind? Maybe you need to get out more?

Lacking motivation and tried the standard advice? Try this.

Don't give yourself an our thinking everything has been solved. New solutions create new problems. As just one example, AI has just opened up pandoras box of problems to solve. Both difficult and easy.
Thanks NeoDialectic

FrancisEbbs

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 31, 2020
Netherlands

I'd like to add, that only working a problem gives you the ability to get A FEEL for the problem and it's current solutions. Which feeling in return and only then you can think on - to improve outcomes. This answer to this question of having no idea's reminds me of the problem of wanting to get unstuck when feeling stuck, which helped me accept to choose any direction to get stuck in - to experience a problem either for myself alone or one which is common for everyone. To get unstuck with yourself find time to meditate on the stuckness.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Get a job. Build some skills. Come back later.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.