The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have just published my new blog. Would love some FEEDBACK

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
Hi guys,

I published my first blog around one month ago. I'd really appreciate some feedback, as I'm a newbie blogger.

http://liveanddare.com

At the moment I'm not monetizing the blog. For the first 6 months my idea is to just focus to build authority, and my email list by offering quality content. Down the track I may monetize with affiliate links or selling information products (video courses).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Nice:) slim and estetic!

i like the plugin you got from SumoMe. Where you highlight text and it gives you the option to tweet about it. Do you see a higher conversion rate on tweets that way?

SumoMe has a lot of cool apps:)

Do you plan to monetize the website in the future?

Good Luck

markustenghamn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 1, 2015
Sweden
SumoMe looks really nice, I am wondering if it works better than my current plugin "Layered Popups for Wordpress", will have to try it.

Overall I think the blog looks really nice and clean although it might be interesting to test bounce rates on the amount of popups for subscribing to the blog as I would be afraid to scare visitors away. The only popup that I felt bothered me a little was the bottom right one.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Nice looking blog mate! Let's connect I also blog about self-improvement!

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
Nice:) slim and estetic!

i like the plugin you got from SumoMe. Where you highlight text and it gives you the option to tweet about it. Do you see a higher conversion rate on tweets that way?

SumoMe has a lot of cool apps:)

Do you plan to monetize the website in the future?

Good Luck

SumoMe is awesome. They are responsible for at least 80% of my conversions. You want to know what works best? The plugin for "Leads" (content upgrade button) and the popup that shows in the middle of the screen as the user is going to close the tab. Surprisingly, the top bar does not convert so well.

Plan to monetize in the future, either by selling my own courses, or by making it a platform where experts can sell their own courses. Something like a Udemy or a Luminosity for personal growth.

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
SumoMe looks really nice, I am wondering if it works better than my current plugin "Layered Popups for Wordpress", will have to try it.

Overall I think the blog looks really nice and clean although it might be interesting to test bounce rates on the amount of popups for subscribing to the blog as I would be afraid to scare visitors away. The only popup that I felt bothered me a little was the bottom right one.

Thank you for sharing your concern. I keep that in mind as well.

The one that appears on the bottom right only shows up after the user has read 40% of the content, and is dismissable. But if I get many complaints I will turn it off.

StayOnTop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 8, 2015
Central New Jersey
Not bad at all. For a newbie like you stated I think it looks good . I have a website / blog as well. I'm also new, i just love starting new things and teaching myself new tasks to keep busy . If you have any questions feel free to message me buddy. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If you're thinking about eventually moving into video courses, I would start gathering equipment and making video blogs now. By the time you're ready to make a course you'll already be comfortable speaking on camera. Also, it will probably help your blog's outreach if you start uploading your videos to YouTube.

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
If you're thinking about eventually moving into video courses, I would start gathering equipment and making video blogs now. By the time you're ready to make a course you'll already be comfortable speaking on camera. Also, it will probably help your blog's outreach if you start uploading your videos to YouTube.

This is probably a good idea! I don't like camera much, but video is a must...
I think what I will do is a "Ask me anything" series about meditation. Then I answer each question as a short video.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
Congrats on the shares.

How did this impact your traffic or list?

As a result I got around 15k visitors to that page, and 400 new email subscribers.

The new way of the internet, indeed, is to write massive articles, every once in a while, instead of 3 posts a week. That's what I learned from Brian Dean's course.

StayOnTop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 8, 2015
Central New Jersey
That's phenomenal congrats zen. If you don't mind me asking , what has contributed to such success on that post do you feel. Also, what ways are you promoting this site ?

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
That's phenomenal congrats zen. If you don't mind me asking , what has contributed to such success on that post do you feel. Also, what ways are you promoting this site ?

The post really adds a lot of value. It is on a trendy topic, and anybody that is interested in meditation, or teaches it, is also interested in spreading the word about it.
Besides, I took the trouble to build connections with power bloggers in my niche, via social media and email.. I did not spam anybody nor blast out impersonal emails.

StayOnTop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jan 8, 2015
Central New Jersey
I wasn't proposing this at all bud, I'm just trying to take some tips to get my site to that level lol that's all. Also I read it when you first commented, it is a great post filled with value. Very enjoyable read and wish nothing but continued success.

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Really nice blog.
I've also started a blog a few months ago but I had some problems with my english and I couldn't continue. I should start a blog on my own language (Hungarian) but in this case it would be much harder because there is a smaller audiance.

Good luck with your blog, I subscribed :)

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
Really nice blog.
I've also started a blog a few months ago but I had some problems with my english and I couldn't continue. I should start a blog on my own language (Hungarian) but in this case it would be much harder because there is a smaller audiance.

Good luck with your blog, I subscribed :)

Thanks Daniel!

English is not my first language either (Portuguese is). But thankfully there are a couple of people in Fiverr that will proofread up to 10 thousand words for 5 USD....

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Thanks Daniel!

English is not my first language either (Portuguese is). But thankfully there are a couple of people in Fiverr that will proofread up to 10 thousand words for 5 USD....

That's a good idea, I never thought of that :D

MayaMagpie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Jul 11, 2014
London, UK
Congrats on your success!
I like your blog, it's neatly designed, has great content and looks nice overall!
Because you asked for feedback, there are two things... But this is nit-picking, by no means major things.
Firstly, I would advise having a sort of editorial calendar for your posts, just to keep track of your topics. I saw that you posted two things about meditation one after the other, and then two about happiness. Usually, it's nice to mix things up so you alternate topics.
Secondly, your profile page leads to your gravatar profile. At some point, you might consider writing a longer bio, just to give people an idea who you are.
But, as I said, really minor things. Keep up the good work!

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
This is terrific. Congratulations!

How did you get the first traction? Through SEO, a Facebook post or something else?

At this point in time it was by writing great content and sharing it a lot in social media, with the right audiences. Also, by contacting directly bloggers and influencers in this field, in a personal way (not an impersonal email blast). Some of them liked my content and shared with their audiences, which then re-shared, retweeted, and from them went viral.

Abstracting from this case, I think the lesson is: find out what the audience you are serving would love to share, and then write the web's best post about that topic. Once you do that, let them know about it.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Congrats dude. I've checked out your blog, and it's quite impressive.

Definitely take advantage of social media. People using facebook to share and like your content will outdo paid ads exponentially.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great blog ! Congratulations on your success so far.

I also shared your 'benefits' article.
I've been meditation many years and know a fair amount about the topic.
I've only read that one article so far but the quality and value are very impressive.
I agree with the longer, more informational articles and less frequency.

Keep it going...I smell success !

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
Nice blog! Just subscribed... I'm into personal growth, so this will be a great resource.

Did you design the website yourself?

No, it’s a Wordpress theme that I purchase at ThemeForest for around 50 USD! :-D

Glad you liked the blog.

Zen Dragon

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 10, 2014
Sydney
Great blog ! Congratulations on your success so far.

I also shared your 'benefits' article.
I've been meditation many years and know a fair amount about the topic.
I've only read that one article so far but the quality and value are very impressive.
I agree with the longer, more informational articles and less frequency.

Keep it going...I smell success !

Your sentence "I smell success" made my day! :)

Glad to know you are into meditation. What style do you practice?

Last week a published another long post, this time about types of meditation: http://liveanddare.com/types-of-meditation

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.