The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I HAVE A NEED SOLVE MY PROBLEM

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I have entered into the world of Utility Brokering. A very lucrative position that I have found to be quite simple and straight forward. HOWEVER the lucrative scale is directly hinged on my prospecting. That is calling commercial clients and showing them benefits.

Who here can help me with the prospecting aspect of it? I am a partner in this company, and really want to make this my fastlane "break" if you will. How do I get decision makers....to come to me? In a dream world I would wake up to 3-5 new electricity bill copies with a message of "here, show me what you can do". How do I make that a reality aside from cold calling/cold emailing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
I agree with Devine - convey what value your service provides in a clear English language and close the deal.

Sales is not that hard when you realize that it's mostly about finding a customer's pain-point and offering a cure for an attractive fee. However, before you even consider selling something, make sure you truly believe in what you're selling and know inside-out benefits and possible disadvantages of your service or product - this will allow you to address customer's hesitations and worries even before he/she opens a mouth.

For example: I would gladly open doors and regularly buy of guys who go door-to-door selling affordable self-development books, instead of guys who are desperately trying to convince me in buying useless TV networks - poor guys, they don't even know that I have sacrificed 50inch TV for a small library. What pisses me off most is that those guys rarely know what the hell they are trying to sell, because they usually can't answer basic questions related to their service.

Last edited:

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
basically lead generation

Yes essentially what I am looking for is lead generation. After speaking with someone who creates leads he mentioned it's rather hard to do. I have to get this in front of a C level person, who cares enough about electricity, who then will expire soon, who likes me enough to take my call right away. Easy to do for me once I get on the phone with them. Really rather hard for the lead gen people to convey all that in an ad or flyer.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
I have entered into the world of Utility Brokering

Don't be Enron.

Don't hit your prospects with all caps.

Rinse and repeat.

Seriously, though, good luck. Prospecting to get through to shot callers is a skill that's evergreen in and of itself. I'm trying to get better at it myself.

PurpleMonkey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 17, 2016
I haven't tried it but marketing via LinkedIn is supposed to be effective for those targeting 'business' types.

You can target prospects by parameters such as job title, company and industry. There is no gate keeper like a receptionist during cold call. You can publish content on there for prospects to review in their own time.

I regularly see offers for $50 free ads and free trials for their Premium service (which allows messaging among other benefits) to test the waters.

What is the USP of the brokerage? Are they renewables or just cheaper?

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Step 1: Find out where do your target prospects hang out?
Step 2: Go there..

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I haven't tried it but marketing via LinkedIn is supposed to be effective for those targeting 'business' types.

You can target prospects by parameters such as job title, company and industry. There is no gate keeper like a receptionist during cold call. You can publish content on there for prospects to review in their own time.

I regularly see offers for $50 free ads and free trials for their Premium service (which allows messaging among other benefits) to test the waters.

What is the USP of the brokerage? Are they renewables or just cheaper?

It really is just cheaper. The difference is the way we are paid. Most people are paid on a margin of their product. They sound like an auctioneer raising the rate because they have to eat. The people I work with and myself came from that sector. We pay an actual livable wage to avoid the churn and burn of hiring. We are also paid on the kilowatts we bring to carriers. So at XYZ brokerage you couldn't hand out competitive .039-4 cent rates. Here those really appealing rates are common place. Kind of a hard thing to explain over the phone but once stated it makes us seem "different". Now if a person is remarkably green we have products for that as well.

PurpleMonkey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 17, 2016
It really is just cheaper. The difference is the way we are paid. Most people are paid on a margin of their product. They sound like an auctioneer raising the rate because they have to eat. The people I work with and myself came from that sector. We pay an actual livable wage to avoid the churn and burn of hiring. We are also paid on the kilowatts we bring to carriers. So at XYZ brokerage you couldn't hand out competitive .039-4 cent rates. Here those really appealing rates are common place. Kind of a hard thing to explain over the phone but once stated it makes us seem "different". Now if a person is remarkably green we have products for that as well.

Sorry I didn't fully understand this comment. You can arrange for the business to switch to a cheaper tariff, therefore helping them by saving them money. But I didn't grasp how you take payment being different from the standard. Could you elaborate?

Also re-read your introduction, particularly your point on your ideal, having customers give you their bills (consumption information) so you could provide advice. This reminded me a lot of the stories of the presenters of the I Love Marketing Podcast, Joe Polish and Dean Jackson. And their experience (and careers) with Direct Response marketing which could work for you. I'd recommend listening to their podcast, particularly the initial few where they explain their stories and how education based marketing helped them.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Sorry I didn't fully understand this comment. You can arrange for the business to switch to a cheaper tariff, therefore helping them by saving them money. But I didn't grasp how you take payment being different from the standard. Could you elaborate?

Also re-read your introduction, particularly your point on your ideal, having customers give you their bills (consumption information) so you could provide advice. This reminded me a lot of the stories of the presenters of the I Love Marketing Podcast, Joe Polish and Dean Jackson. And their experience (and careers) with Direct Response marketing which could work for you. I'd recommend listening to their podcast, particularly the initial few where they explain their stories and how education based marketing helped them.

So most people are paid, based on how high they can set the rate and get away with it. Like a stock broker. We are paid based on the kilowatts we bring to a energy company. Different motive.

I will check them out.

minirich

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 4, 2016
Austria
Yes essentially what I am looking for is lead generation. After speaking with someone who creates leads he mentioned it's rather hard to do. I have to get this in front of a C level person, who cares enough about electricity, who then will expire soon, who likes me enough to take my call right away. Easy to do for me once I get on the phone with them. Really rather hard for the lead gen people to convey all that in an ad or flyer.

Basically, you need to do your research.
Find out who these people are.
Find out their phone numbers; and call them before 9 or after 5. Then the receptiondragons receptionists are not there, taking your call, and you get directly to the decider.

If you do not completely piss him/her off, ask in any case if they would recommend you to someone they know in similar positions, or can give you names and numbers to these persons.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Just read your info cost money post and I agree completely. Good info cost money. I wish my parents would listen and stop reading Susie orman.
I listened to one of her interviews. MJ's right..these clowns are entertainers. Suze started discouraging budgeting as it was limiting and then started talking in SUPPORT of it.

Make your stand, ma'am!

Good Lord, has critical thinking been wiped off the face of the earth?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.