• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I hated the book " The 4 Hour Work Week". Yea, I said it.

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Lex Vance, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $17,340
    I think it's wrong to interpret this complete book literally.

For example, that "4 hour" label was (if I'm correct) chosen because it got better traffic than "5 hour" or "10 hour". The main message of this book was that you don't have to work extremely hard to get a decent income and that you can enjoy a lot of luxuries without really owning them. Modern technology makes it possible to lead a comfortable minimalist lifestyle.

"new rich" (minimalist lifestyle, renting over owning, experiences, traveling, experiences & lifestyle > net worth)
    vs
    "old rich" (owning as much as you can, owning over renting, working as much as you can, net worth > experiences)

You can divide some forum members between the two groups as well. Some are overlapping.

What I really didn't like on this book though is the arrogant tone. I read later in an interview with Ferriss that he was writing this with his slowlane college pals in mind.

Neng Her, Fassina, jon.M and 2 others like this.
  2. GregTK

GregTK New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $82
    Sorry, am a newbie here but read both TMF and Unscripted... so what do I exactly do to get those badges?

3. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,211
    Good book. Love it

4. Roz

Roz Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,766
    GregTK and MJ DeMarco like this.
  5. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $26,802
    4HWW was awesome. Got a lot of good info from it. just like all these books everyone does a 'i hate' thread on. I get something out of everything read.

ZF Lee, GlobalWealth, Roz and 4 others like this.
  6. GregTK

GregTK New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $82
    @Roz Thank you for your feedback... much appreciated! Have done so now!

Roz likes this.
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $387,025
    Admin Post
    Yea, I don't think anyone here is a Tim Ferris hater. The dude is a killer entrepreneur and as about as "Unscripted" as one could get, no matter what anyone thinks of his books. I too enjoyed Titans / Mentors books.

Ha Ha, I can also say the same about TMF. I think it just proves that we never stop evolving.

No, it was about a year after.

ZF Lee, Lex Vance, Roli and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,352
    I think I read the book differently than some people. I didn't care about the idea of outsourcing to emerging economies specifically, for example. The concept I got from that was "I shouldn't be doing this type of work." I think the book helped me separate my own time and effort from the business's day to day (although it took more than on book to do that). But I understand why someone reading it from a different perspective would be annoyed.

RDPD was similar... if you're looking for actionable steps, it's easy to criticize. But if you're path-finding and can build the steps once you have a direction in mind, it might be useful. Probably just a matter of when you read these books, and what you're looking for at the time.

Longinus likes this.
  9. Jadpapi

Jadpapi New Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $77
    I remember I bought this book 4 years ago, before I read the MFT, and Unscripted. I couldn’t finish it at all I felt like the author is unrealistic, and arrogant. But when I bought the MFT I got hooked realistic. Then I searched MJ books, found the unscripted even better.

10. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,907

Well done for noticing straightaway, I read it and instantly tried to implement some of the strategies. However I then realised that most of them are for when you're already at the top of the pile.

Even though some of the strategies for 9-5ers weren't useful to me at the time, I still thought they were clever. Like how to manage your boss in certain situations like, getting more work-from-home time, and reducing the amount of meetings you had to attend.

I agree though, some of the strategies were a bit unrealistic, I liked the overall sentiment of the book though.

As an aside, I felt the same about Ready Fire Aim, I don't think I read fifty pages, though I've vowed to return to and read right through one day.

Lex Vance likes this.
  11. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,194
    Well I followed the book step by step in 2007. Met him and thanked him in 2013. Sold my business in 2018.

I think the book came out in 2006.

Don’t take the title literally. And remember that the content is 12 years old. The internet is very different now.

12. advantagecp

advantagecp Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $351
    I read it more than a decade ago and still consider it to be an excellent book.

My most valuable takeaway from the book is this (paraphrasing): Don't retire in the conventional sense. Take your retirement in the form of several months every year.

This keeps me energized by keeping adventure and fun never too far away.

GlobalWealth and Rabby like this.
  13. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,417
    Yes, I read it a long time ago. I've always worked and worked hard -- since I was 11 years old. It was difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea of not continue those life long habits. BUT, the thing I've gleaned from that reading is: I've started making investments that don't take much of my time or effort to tend. They have good, steady, low-risk incomes with decent returns on my capital investments. They are a pain in #$@* to find and set up -- but they pay off with almost no effort past their setup stage. My long-term goal is to replace my business income with investment income.

advantagecp, Lex Vance and Rabby like this.
  14. GlobalWealth

GlobalWealth Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,295
    I found it to be an excellent book. One of my top 10 all time best.

It was truly a game changer in the sense it opened up possibilities I've never considered.

If you got from the book that Tim Ferriss works 4 hours per week or that's what he is advocating, you clearly didn't make it past the title.

It certainly isn't for everyone, but I think anyone can learn from it if they approach with an open mind.

The fact that it's sold around 1.5mm copies and spurned a series of books says a lot.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

MTEE1985, Rabby and UnrealCreative like this.
  15. Blackadder

Blackadder Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $360
    I think a lot of people’s Love or hate for this book really does come down to whether not they understood the title

it’s not “oh you can be lazy and start a business working only four hours a week that will make millions.” No the title really should’ve been “Work your a$$ off for three years and get a business that you only have to spend four hours a week maintaining. but I guess that wasn’t as catchy as ”The four hour work week”

It’s a pity that title really does split us almost in half. I’d lay money he wishes he could go back and change his brand

advantagecp and Lex Vance like this.
  16. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $20
    I am going to read the preview. If it grabs my attention after the "Buy It Now button" I will proceed. That is how I choose all my books.

17. Spino

Spino New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $82
    Yeah didn't like this book either, it was one of my first reads in the self-improvement/entrepreneur area and I found a lot of fluff in it. Wouldn't recommend it to any friend.

18. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,260
    Now to think of it, I think Ferriss actually opened the gateway for a whole new industry to advance- which is the outsourcing/freelancing market.

Gives us new strategies to access talent from faraway places, as well as some hustle money for some of us.

That would put the guy as more of a 'spokesperson', rather than a 'guru'.

ZCP likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.