• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

I hated the book " The 4 Hour Work Week". Yea, I said it.

Discussion in 'Education, Learning, Books' started by Lex Vance, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Lex Vance

Lex Vance Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $808
    Years ago in the beginning of my personal development book reading regiment, The Four Hour Work Week book kept popping up in front of me. So, I checked it out from the library.

I couldn't even make it to the half way point. Knowing that Tim Ferris worked his face off for 16 hours a day for years & the book didn't really cover that annoyed me. He sort of made it sound like he never went through the 16 hour work days & found "the secret". I found the book dangerous & a bit untruthful. Like Gary Vaynerchuk talks about in the video below.

View: https://youtu.be/_sxhuOdiB1M

Roli, SputnicK, MattR82 and 1 other person like this.
  2. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,444
    Yea, that book is another example of someone selling through emotion by focusing on the success event instead of the process. Nice little cottage industry for the authors.

Shashwat and DonTriumph like this.
  3. Lex Vance

Rep Bank:
    $808
    You're so right. I'm so glad I was able to see through the B.S. right away & returned the book. Stuff like that makes people feel inadequate or inept if they don't have this massive passive income machine in 6 months.

DonTriumph likes this.
  4. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $5,444
    True. I think another part of it is that "passive income" used to be a pseudo-secret approach with less market saturation. Nowadays everyone and their dog are trying to follow the same beaten path. The trick is anticipation of and capitalization on future demand, not assimilation to "tested" methods to fight for the scraps leftover. That's my opinion, anyway.

5. Lex Vance

Rep Bank:
    $808
    Yep. I spent 20 years in the music business and it's the same principle. Once a song/style hits the mainstream radio, it's on its way out and down afterwards. Most bands start jumping on the sound & copying when they really need to be trying to find a new fresh sound.

Tommo and 404profound like this.
  6. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $5,444
    That's an impressive amount of experience in a craft. Have you read any of MJ's books? Curious if they sparked any ideas for you.

7. Lex Vance

Rep Bank:
    $808
    Yes ive read both his books. I left the saturated music business & built a website that trains maintenance technicians. Best decision I've ever made.

Mr.C and 404profound like this.
  8. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $5,444
    Awesome!

9. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $49,616
    I have to agree. I remember a lot of hype when the book first came out and I would listen to the audio version on the train to work. I thought it was 'ok' but there were many books way better before and after it. At that point, I had already read Rich Dad Poor Dad, but obviously not TMF yet. But I was aware of the mindsets and methodologies to create the desired lifestyle - knowing that it would definitely take me years to get there still. So although the 4HWW had some very motivational parts to it, I agree that for a lot of people (looking at you motivational/lifestyle bloggers) it's perceived as an 'easy meal ticket' and shortcut to a life on the beach and world travel with minimal upfront effort.

Of course, Fastlaners know better - and we know that following our years of hard work, we will eventually enjoy the fruits of our labor. :)

Tommo likes this.
  10. Kung Fu Steve

Kung Fu Steve Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $27,885
    Yet another one of these threads :p

I love the book. On my top ten. I re-read it occasionally.

11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $387,025
    Admin Post
    So if any thread doesn't agree with your opinion, it doesn't belong on here?

Should we delete this thread because Steve loved the book?

Just because a thread doesn't confirm your bias, doesn't make it any less truthful from a reader's perspective.

If one only seeks to confirm their biases, they'll never find truth. Just the truth as they see it.

Your short little comment does nothing but dissuade others from sharing a like-minded opinion, and obviously, a minority opinion. As if there is something wrong with people who didn't like the book, a book that is ubiquitously backed and promoted by the mainstream.

So if anyone else didn't enjoy the book or find it helpful, don't let Steve's snarky remark stop you from sharing your thoughts. The forum can equally serve those who loved it, and those who hated it.

12. Kung Fu Steve

Rep Bank:
    $27,885
    I enjoy snarky comments :smile2:

13. Kevin88660

Kevin88660 Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $654
    I remember someone in the blogosphere calling it a “four hours” scam.

The most productive people are also the people who work long hours. You do not immediately know how to scale your business and create leverage without accumulating a lot of experience.

You cannot master the art of working smart without workinng hard for a long time. Period.

14. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,147
    I read 4HWW back in '06 or 07. I remember it lighting a fire under me back then...for a week or two. Back then I wasn't really in the right head-space to hear an entrepreneurial message, so I can't fairly blame the book for that.

Looking back on it, I think there's a decent message in the book. If you read it as an attitude shift plus some useful methods on how to focus effort and use leverage, there's decent stuff there. I say that without disagreeing with most of OP's reasons for disliking it.

15. Lex Vance

Rep Bank:
    $808
    Right on man. I'm not a Tim Ferris hater. I enjoyed his book "Tools of Titans".

Now that I've built a nice base that took me years to build, I could totally hop on Fiverr and employ "The Four Hour Work Week" strategies & make it work. I was just speaking from a starting point I dont think it would work. I'm new here, (only a week into membership) and didn't know there were similar threads. LOL!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    cautiouscapy and Kung Fu Steve like this.
  16. Kung Fu Steve

Rep Bank:
    $27,885
    The old guard here on the forum are a bunch of snarky assholes (case in point, me :rofl:).

But yeah there's some recurring themes here on the forum. Besides some incredibly valuable posts, there are also the "what should I do with my life", "should I go to school", "I can't talk to girls", and "I hate _________" threads.

I'm in the minority but I'd love to see more "here's what I love" and "here's something I found helpful" and "here's what I'm doing" threads versus what didn't work for someone.

17. 404profound

Rep Bank:
    $5,444
    You talk about it like it's a cult..

Kung Fu Steve likes this.
  18. Idealghost

Idealghost New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    I agree that it's not an amazing a book.

However, I liked the idea of taking "smaller holidays" instead of working your whole life just for one big holiday at the end. I had that mind set without really realising it until I read the book.

cautiouscapy and MattR82 like this.
  19. MattR82

MattR82 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,801
    Man, I had so many arguments with people over this book. In sth east Asia coworking spaces where I was hanging out the last few years, it was a bible for some people. The only guy that had my side was the owner of the coworking space I think lol.

Although I got a few good things out of it, like batching. And it started to open my mind a bit to outsourcing and using a VA which I knew nothing about at the time.

Roz, cautiouscapy and GregTK like this.
  20. MattR82

MattR82 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,801
    Actually I have to admit I really liked that part too.

21. GregTK

GregTK New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $82
    Hey Lex,

I did experience 4HWW differently seemingly... it is all about the process actually of reducing work from 16h/day to 4h/week. So in itself I found there to be quite some useful tips in that book and I read and listened to it multiple times.
    The big "flaw" (if I can call it that) with such books is that we start from a situation whereby the author already had a successful business to start off with, then explains the process on how to reduce working hours... and then seems to imply that you could actually create and run a business only investing very limited time. I tried the methods and applied many of the principles but my ladder was still leaning against the wrong wall ;-) I did learn from it and managed to extricate myself from a 9-5 job for about 6 months just as my daughter was born, which was amazing.

I find Tim Ferriss to be a clever guy and to be honest his 4HWW had made quite an impact... it wasn't until MFL and Unscripted that I experienced the same Wow effect.

22. cautiouscapy

cautiouscapy Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $716
    If you devour self-development and entrepreneurial books / podcasts / etc it's one well worth reading. It's not a manual.

VentureVoyager, ZCP and Longinus like this.
  23. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,333
    If you read them then get the badges for that. Send a post to the relevant I read TMF or Unscripted and you'll pimp up your icon.

cautiouscapy and GregTK like this.
  24. John F.

John F. Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $298
    The book has some very interesting points in it about how one could get to the point of a 4HWW if they were so inclined. Tim Ferriss has stated in recent years that when he thinks back on that book, some of the things he says make him cringe.

Just like any book, find the gold nuggets that are in there and disregard the rest.

25. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,333
    If my failing memory serves. TMF was published before T4HWW and I read it then on my KOBO. I loved it but due to a divorce didn't connect at the time though the basics were in my head.
    Bought the 4HWW again in the UK looking for freedom from the drudge and found it was impossible to get a surrogate to do my job unless I paid them the good money I was earning leaving me zero dollars, not good.
    It is possible to outsource some types of work but to say anyone can do it is actually disingenuous.
    The Muse stuff got me interested but was weak as piss however it reminded me that I should re read MJs book.
    The 4 Hour Body book was better by far from a different perspective obviously.
    Mr. Demarco shits all over that stuff. Give me Unscripted any day of the week.

MJ DeMarco and MattR82 like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.