The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT TOPIC I hated the book " The 4 Hour Work Week". Yea, I said it.

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Years ago in the beginning of my personal development book reading regiment, The Four Hour Work Week book kept popping up in front of me. So, I checked it out from the library.

I couldn't even make it to the half way point. Knowing that Tim Ferris worked his face off for 16 hours a day for years & the book didn't really cover that annoyed me. He sort of made it sound like he never went through the 16 hour work days & found "the secret". I found the book dangerous & a bit untruthful. Like Gary Vaynerchuk talks about in the video below.

View: https://youtu.be/_sxhuOdiB1M

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
Years ago in the beginning of my personal development book reading regiment, The Four Hour Work Week book kept popping up in front of me. So, I checked it out from the library.

I couldn't even make it to the half way point. Knowing that Tim Ferris worked his face off for 16 hours a day for years & the book didn't really cover that annoyed me. He sort of made it sound like he never went through the 16 hour work days & found "the secret". I found the book dangerous & a bit untruthful. Like Gary Vaynerchuk talks about in the video below.

Yea, that book is another example of someone selling through emotion by focusing on the success event instead of the process. Nice little cottage industry for the authors.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Yea, that book is another example of someone selling through emotion by focusing on the success event instead of the process. Nice little cottage industry for the authors.
You're so right. I'm so glad I was able to see through the B.S. right away & returned the book. Stuff like that makes people feel inadequate or inept if they don't have this massive passive income machine in 6 months.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
You're so right. I'm so glad I was able to see through the B.S. right away & returned the book. Stuff like that makes people feel inadequate or inept if they don't have this massive passive income machine in 6 months.
True. I think another part of it is that "passive income" used to be a pseudo-secret approach with less market saturation. Nowadays everyone and their dog are trying to follow the same beaten path. The trick is anticipation of and capitalization on future demand, not assimilation to "tested" methods to fight for the scraps leftover. That's my opinion, anyway.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
True. I think another part of it is that "passive income" used to be a pseudo-secret approach with less market saturation. Nowadays everyone and their dog are trying to follow the same beaten path. The trick is anticipation of and capitalization on future demand, not assimilation to "tested" methods to fight for the scraps leftover. That's my opinion, anyway.
Yep. I spent 20 years in the music business and it's the same principle. Once a song/style hits the mainstream radio, it's on its way out and down afterwards. Most bands start jumping on the sound & copying when they really need to be trying to find a new fresh sound.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
Yep. I spent 20 years in the music business and it's the same principle. Once a song/style hits the mainstream radio, it's on its way out and down afterwards. Most bands start jumping on the sound & copying when they really need to be trying to find a new fresh sound.
That's an impressive amount of experience in a craft. Have you read any of MJ's books? Curious if they sparked any ideas for you.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
That's an impressive amount of experience in a craft. Have you read any of MJ's books? Curious if they sparked any ideas for you.
Yes ive read both his books. I left the saturated music business & built a website that trains maintenance technicians. Best decision I've ever made.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I have to agree. I remember a lot of hype when the book first came out and I would listen to the audio version on the train to work. I thought it was 'ok' but there were many books way better before and after it. At that point, I had already read Rich Dad Poor Dad, but obviously not TMF yet. But I was aware of the mindsets and methodologies to create the desired lifestyle - knowing that it would definitely take me years to get there still. So although the 4HWW had some very motivational parts to it, I agree that for a lot of people (looking at you motivational/lifestyle bloggers) it's perceived as an 'easy meal ticket' and shortcut to a life on the beach and world travel with minimal upfront effort.

Of course, Fastlaners know better - and we know that following our years of hard work, we will eventually enjoy the fruits of our labor. :)

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Yet another one of these threads
So if any thread doesn't agree with your opinion, it doesn't belong on here?

Should we delete this thread because Steve loved the book?

Just because a thread doesn't confirm your bias, doesn't make it any less truthful from a reader's perspective.

If one only seeks to confirm their biases, they'll never find truth. Just the truth as they see it.

Your short little comment does nothing but dissuade others from sharing a like-minded opinion, and obviously, a minority opinion. As if there is something wrong with people who didn't like the book, a book that is ubiquitously backed and promoted by the mainstream.

So if anyone else didn't enjoy the book or find it helpful, don't let Steve's snarky remark stop you from sharing your thoughts. The forum can equally serve those who loved it, and those who hated it.

Kung Fu Steve

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
So if any thread doesn't agree with your opinion, it doesn't belong on here?

Should we delete this thread because Steve loved the book?

Just because a thread doesn't confirm your bias, doesn't make it any less truthful from a reader's perspective.

If one only seeks to confirm their biases, they'll never find truth. Just the truth as they see it.

Your short little comment does nothing but dissuade others from sharing a like-minded opinion, and obviously, a minority opinion. As if there is something wrong with people who didn't like the book, a book that is ubiquitously backed and promoted by the mainstream.

So if anyone else didn't enjoy the book or find it helpful, don't let Steve's snarky remark stop you from sharing your thoughts.
I enjoy snarky comments :smile2:

Kevin88660

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I remember someone in the blogosphere calling it a “four hours” scam.

The most productive people are also the people who work long hours. You do not immediately know how to scale your business and create leverage without accumulating a lot of experience.

You cannot master the art of working smart without workinng hard for a long time. Period.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2017
I read 4HWW back in '06 or 07. I remember it lighting a fire under me back then...for a week or two. Back then I wasn't really in the right head-space to hear an entrepreneurial message, so I can't fairly blame the book for that.

Looking back on it, I think there's a decent message in the book. If you read it as an attitude shift plus some useful methods on how to focus effort and use leverage, there's decent stuff there. I say that without disagreeing with most of OP's reasons for disliking it.

OP
OP
L

Lex Vance

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Feb 19, 2019
Yet another one of these threads :p

I love the book. On my top ten. I re-read it occasionally.
Right on man. I'm not a Tim Ferris hater. I enjoyed his book "Tools of Titans".

Now that I've built a nice base that took me years to build, I could totally hop on Fiverr and employ "The Four Hour Work Week" strategies & make it work. I was just speaking from a starting point I dont think it would work. I'm new here, (only a week into membership) and didn't know there were similar threads. LOL!

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Right on man. I'm not a Tim Ferris hater. I enjoyed his book "Tools of Titans".

Now that I've built a nice base that took me years to build, I could totally hop on Fiverr and employ "The Four Hour Work Week" strategies & make it work. I was just speaking from a starting point I dont think it would work. I'm new here, (only a week into membership) and didn't know there were similar threads. LOL!
The old guard here on the forum are a bunch of snarky assholes (case in point, me :rofl:).

But yeah there's some recurring themes here on the forum. Besides some incredibly valuable posts, there are also the "what should I do with my life", "should I go to school", "I can't talk to girls", and "I hate _________" threads.

I'm in the minority but I'd love to see more "here's what I love" and "here's something I found helpful" and "here's what I'm doing" threads versus what didn't work for someone.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
The old guard here on the forum are a bunch of snarky assholes (case in point, me :rofl:).

But yeah there's some recurring themes here on the forum. Besides some incredibly valuable posts, there are also the "what should I do with my life", "should I go to school", "I can't talk to girls", and "I hate _________" threads.

I'm in the minority but I'd love to see more "here's what I love" and "here's something I found helpful" and "here's what I'm doing" threads versus what didn't work for someone.
You talk about it like it's a cult..

Idealghost

New Contributor
Feb 22, 2019
I agree that it's not an amazing a book.

However, I liked the idea of taking "smaller holidays" instead of working your whole life just for one big holiday at the end. I had that mind set without really realising it until I read the book.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Man, I had so many arguments with people over this book. In sth east Asia coworking spaces where I was hanging out the last few years, it was a bible for some people. The only guy that had my side was the owner of the coworking space I think lol.

Although I got a few good things out of it, like batching. And it started to open my mind a bit to outsourcing and using a VA which I knew nothing about at the time.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I agree that it's not an amazing a book.

However, I liked the idea of taking "smaller holidays" instead of working your whole life just for one big holiday at the end. I had that mind set without really realising it until I read the book.
Actually I have to admit I really liked that part too.

GregTK

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 19, 2016
Manchester, United Kingdom
Hey Lex,

I did experience 4HWW differently seemingly... it is all about the process actually of reducing work from 16h/day to 4h/week. So in itself I found there to be quite some useful tips in that book and I read and listened to it multiple times.
The big "flaw" (if I can call it that) with such books is that we start from a situation whereby the author already had a successful business to start off with, then explains the process on how to reduce working hours... and then seems to imply that you could actually create and run a business only investing very limited time. I tried the methods and applied many of the principles but my ladder was still leaning against the wrong wall ;-) I did learn from it and managed to extricate myself from a 9-5 job for about 6 months just as my daughter was born, which was amazing.

I find Tim Ferriss to be a clever guy and to be honest his 4HWW had made quite an impact... it wasn't until MFL and Unscripted that I experienced the same Wow effect.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Yes ive read both his books. I left the saturated music business & built a website that trains maintenance technicians. Best decision I've ever made.
If you read them then get the badges for that. Send a post to the relevant I read TMF or Unscripted and you'll pimp up your icon.

John F.

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 29, 2018
Minnesota
The book has some very interesting points in it about how one could get to the point of a 4HWW if they were so inclined. Tim Ferriss has stated in recent years that when he thinks back on that book, some of the things he says make him cringe.

Just like any book, find the gold nuggets that are in there and disregard the rest.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
If my failing memory serves. TMF was published before T4HWW and I read it then on my KOBO. I loved it but due to a divorce didn't connect at the time though the basics were in my head.
Bought the 4HWW again in the UK looking for freedom from the drudge and found it was impossible to get a surrogate to do my job unless I paid them the good money I was earning leaving me zero dollars, not good.
It is possible to outsource some types of work but to say anyone can do it is actually disingenuous.
The Muse stuff got me interested but was weak as piss however it reminded me that I should re read MJs book.
The 4 Hour Body book was better by far from a different perspective obviously.
Mr. Demarco shits all over that stuff. Give me Unscripted any day of the week.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I think it's wrong to interpret this complete book literally.

For example, that "4 hour" label was (if I'm correct) chosen because it got better traffic than "5 hour" or "10 hour". The main message of this book was that you don't have to work extremely hard to get a decent income and that you can enjoy a lot of luxuries without really owning them. Modern technology makes it possible to lead a comfortable minimalist lifestyle.

"new rich" (minimalist lifestyle, renting over owning, experiences, traveling, experiences & lifestyle > net worth)
vs
"old rich" (owning as much as you can, owning over renting, working as much as you can, net worth > experiences)

You can divide some forum members between the two groups as well. Some are overlapping.

What I really didn't like on this book though is the arrogant tone. I read later in an interview with Ferriss that he was writing this with his slowlane college pals in mind.

Roz

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jul 9, 2018

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
4HWW was awesome. Got a lot of good info from it. just like all these books everyone does a 'i hate' thread on. I get something out of everything read.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
This year has been quite crazy so far, and a lot of people have reached out to ask me if web...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom