• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

RANT I don’t care about your lead generation

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Scot, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $57,047
    just tell me the f@$&ing Price!

DEB293B7-37B6-4B49-B7AC-E4202B924E8B.png

Getting high bounce rates? Low conversion rates?

Maybe it’s because you don’t list your prices.

I know I’m not the only person out there who immediately hits the back button if you make me call for a quote. If you sell a product or service that can easily be quoted on your website, list your damn price.

It’s not just me

Embrace the Controversial: Why You Should Publish Pricing on Your Website

There are many other ways to follow up with leads. Do retargeting, it’s effective. But don’t make me call a call center, give my info and then wait on hold for a consultant. Because I will keep searching google until I find the service that gives me the price.

ZF Lee, TheCj, Bearcorp and 10 others like this.
  2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Tallest Lannister Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $10,180

[​IMG]

3. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,784
    I struggle with this. As a purchaser, when I go to website, I want to see the price.
    As a professional, I can't figure out how to standardize my prices to publish on my own website.

Tom.V, SquatchMan and Scot like this.
  4. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $57,047

See, for a service that’s relative to the client, that’s acceptable to not productize your prices.

But if you’re doing direct mailer postcards, as with my above example, there’s no reason you can have a simple web app to give me a custom quote based on paper type and quantity.

ZF Lee, CareCPA and Tom.V like this.
  5. CareCPA

CareCPA Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,784
    Yea, I know it's understandable and acceptable, but that doesn't keep me from spending way too much time figuring out how to charge people. I want to standardize for myself as much as them.

But yes, definitely on the postcards. Even if it's tiered pricing based on volume, they should be able to calculate and tell you without collecting all your info first. I back out of those pages too. I even back out if they just want an email to send results to - just display it on the screen!

Scot likes this.
  6. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $57,047

You might be able to work up a simple web app calculator. Like when you quoted me you could do something like:

Enter expected monthly transactionsions (and do $xx.x per transaction, have different tiered pricing)

Enter estimated monthly gross revenue
    (Have set tier pricing per every $10,000)

And have a couple radio buttons for different services (bookkeeping + management, management only, quarterly consulting, etc)

And put a big disclaimer that this price is a best estimate but cost could be plus or minus 10% depending on other complexities.

CareCPA likes this.
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,114
    Admin Post
    Agreed.

"Call for price!"

NEXT!

When a firm know hows how to skew the value array, there should be absolutely NO reason NOT to publish your price.

8. minivanman

minivanman Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $14,758
    At the first of the year my prices changed in one of my businesses so I went in and took all the prices off because I didn't have time to mess with it. I must have been having a lot of fun because time sure has flown.... here it is JUNE and I still hadn't went back in and put prices back up. So now it is all done. Thanks for the reminder :)

Argue and Scot like this.
  9. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,587
    I work with a couple of these types, and there's a good opportunity for someone to develop a better system (mostly applies to local or smaller online services)

1. Demand based pricing. Getting as many people through the door is more profitable than being beat out by a couple of bucks from the competitor. At the same time, you don't want to engage in a price war online.

(A significant number of "older businesses" still pay attention to competitors more than customers.)

2. Pricing based on who's / what inventory is available.

3. Other places obviously use it as a way to charge more. Explaining why your place is better verbally can be easier than through a website. You can value skew as much as you want with the best copy in town. Until you lose business to the viewer with 5 tabs open just looking at the price.

(In fact that could be your value skew. You're more personable. "We don't hide behind a website. We are real people.")

So you'd need a fully integrated system, based on the business type, to pull this off. How much would that cost the business to implement and train their staff to use?

They already have a system that works, however archaic. This is your biggest barrier. The actual program can be created in less than a week.

What does work well, and is cheap to implement, is a base price. Something you can get in and out in a few min, and is standardized. Like grocery stores pull you in with weekly specials (sometimes at a loss). Then other products catch your eye.

That being said, I do the same. The ones with prices listed get first consideration.

However, call in prices are more likely negotiable.

rogue synthetic, luniac, c4n and 5 others like this.
  10. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $67,076
    List a few normal services you offer, define an average for each, and quote to that average.
    Or do a slider for low/medium/high on each item.

Example:

1. Bookeeping (transactions per month): low - 50 / med - 100 / high - 200
    2. File taxes (individual): single / couple / with kids
    3. File taxes (business, sales): 50k / 100k / 500k

Just throw a nice big "prices are averages, for information only, call for specific pricing" in there.

Bonus points if you show that you are xyz% less expensive than the "other guys" or find 10% more savings or some other metric to overcome possible price-objections.

As a customer, I don't mind calling a company when I can anchor my expectations to something. If I wanted bookkeeping, and matched up my monthly transactions "close enough" with one of the tiers, but knew I had some weird extra stuff to discuss, I'd anchor expectations to the tier but know the final price will be a bit higher for the weird stuff. My comfort goes up and the pricing logic "flows".

One of the benefits (to the customer) and downsides (as a business) is that it makes it easier to price compare once you know one company's pricing. If you quote "price x" for "service y", a customer can just call up 5 different companies asking for a quote on that exact thing, and see who's cheapest. So being "obviously better" with your value skews on the website is key. I'd rather do business with the more transparent company that charges a bit more than the cheaper company trying to hard-sell me on the phone or demand I "come in for a chat".

11. CareCPA

Rep Bank:
    $13,784
    You guys are killing me. Even in a "RANT" I get usable advice.

Looks like I'll be updating my website in the near future.
    It also looks like I'll be the Oprah of rep points this afternoon (*you* get some rep, *you* get some rep, everybody gets some rep!!).

Also, @MJ DeMarco, completely off topic, but what's with the "Viglinks" being added lately? Is that on my computer or on the forum side?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    msufan and Scot like this.
  12. Scot

Rep Bank:
    $57,047
    Do you have a screen shot example? I don’t see anything, might be you?

13. CareCPA

Rep Bank:
    $13,784
    Sorry Scot, didn't mean to derail your rant. It comes and goes, I didn't know if it had to do with the forum transition MJ keeps talking about.
    Attached an example.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.