The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Built A Worldwide Business From Broke.

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
@Carol Jones You're a rockstar. Love hearing about people who create products that solve those obnoxious problems in everyday life.

Rep++

Good morning G-Man from rural Australia.

Thank you so much! Rockstar is not a word I would ever apply to myself. But you've certainly put some razzle dazzle into my early Saturday morning. Very appreciative! If I can ever help you, please let me know. It's been a pleasure to meet you. And I hope we stay in touch. ~Carol❤

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
All of a sudden, I feel like ironing!

Good morning @Greg Rutkowski from rural Australia,

Thank you. That does make me smile!

I so LOVE the way the heat of an iron transforms a wrinkled, crinkled mass of fabric into something crisp and luxurious to wear. Or use.

Nothing beats the feel of a crisply ironed linen napkin sitting in your lap at mealtime. It's like being in the best restaurant. At home!

Thank you, Greg, for starting my early morning with a laugh and a smile! Tis no better way to start a day. ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hey Carol thanks for the connection, what a pleasant surprise you got back to me!

Haha, yes. But that was a long time ago lol.

Nah, I live in Patras, have you heard of it? By your tone I presume you've been to Greece and those beautiful islands you're saying? :)

Well thanks for asking. I am a 28 year old civil engineer graduate, chose this major in college because of parent and school pressure as a result of my good grades at school but untamed and restless as a spirit, I couldn't follow the path everyone in my country followed or expected for me. My mother had joined Amway at some point where I first heard of the "passive income" concept, and I was fascinated by this. During my college years I found a guy who was teaching how to make money through Amazon's Kindle pulblishing and said it was newbie friendly, so me, someone with zero experience in Internet marketing or anything whatsover,bought his course and started with it.

As a deeply spiritual and very sensitive human being though (I am Libra as well, I don't know if the stars or sth have anything to do with anything, I'm just saying lol) I wasn't heart and soul into it because I didn't know my place as a human being in this world. I couldn't find the meaning in pursuing money and financial freedom, since "we are going to die afterall, what's the point in trying"? I am not very materialistic either as a person either, thanks to my lucky upbringing as my parents are absolute slowlaners but amazing souls. Anyway I was deeply confused, had many psychic questions, and I wasn't happy. Something was missing. I was going back and forth with Kindle publishing, had some amazing results for a period of time, made some good money, which I didn't know how to handle though, my "sidewalk lane" insticts (instant gratification) lit up and then I was back to point zero again.

I don't want to drag this because it's a many-years journey but, I was reading a lot and thankfully I bumped into two books that literally changed my life. First book I read was MJ's Millionaire Fastlane , that put the bits and pieces I had in my mind in a correct order and changed my whole way of thinking in money terms, and the other one was " The power of now" by Echart Tolle. Those two books are my perpetual gift to everyone's birthday-nameday-celebration, I literally have gifted at least 6 copies of those to my friends (hope the Millionaire Fastlane was translated in Greek though, I want to gift this book to EVERYONE I know, especially those I care about mostly but they don't know English or they're too bored to read in English!).

They say the hardest battle you'll ever going to give is with yourself and you are your own worst enemy. That's like the most important thing a person must know and believe. Because there are no obstacles to fight than those we put to ourselves. I know I am my only obstacle and I fight me everyday. Not my spirit, but my brain. My not so easily distracted brain anymore, a skill I strengthened after a loooong and highly discomforting period of time. In a world full of distractions, it requires constant practice and fight and patience. I know it will never stop, every moment I need to fight my urges of instant gratification but I will never give up. Every moment I know become stronger and even when I fall back to old patterns, I stand up again and re-practise, until it is second nature to me. Life is an experience, and all it matters is to "smell all the roses". So wherever I "smell" discomfort, there I go :D
And that is the answer to your question on why I chose "Supergirl" as my avatar :)

P.S. I am still in Kindle publishing but this time I am following long term strategies and I am building a system, a brand. It is not easy, but nothing worthy is easy right? My goal is to create enough income from Kindle publishing to fund my entrepreneurship, which is the only "problem" right now, as I haven't found what that will be. I believe that will come to me as I expose myself to the unknown. I know I NEED to add value , but I don't know how. Yet! Do you maybe have any advice on this part here..? maybe?

My answer was long sorry! Anyway I was inspired by your story and I wanted to thank you that you shared your experience with us, I am happy to connect with all those likeminded people I can't easily (or at all!) find at my country!

xx,Deppy

Good morning Deppy @DeppyJ from Oz,

That's a very insightful post, Deppy. You know yourself better than most people do. Congratulations!

Several things.

Many people at 65 still don't know what their purpose is in life.

And for those of us who do, the goal posts change quite a bit as you travel down your Yellow Brick Road.

But you're spot on about one thing. The more you engage, the more you'll understand what your purpose is. Especially as you're prepared to leave your comfort zone and experiment. Don't rush this. It will come. And when it does, it will be like a lightning bolt. You won't miss it.

Like you, I have never been motivated by money. Other than as a teenager. Wanting more than the allowance my father gave me. So at 13 years of age, I got my Saturday job.

But working just for money has never been a priority for me.

Helping other people has always been the focus of my life. And striving to be the best ever. At whatever I do. Has enabled me to be successful. It's more a back door approach to success.

There's no one path to fulfilling your dream. We're all unique. With our own brain pattern. And individual way of thinking. Your path will be like no one else's path. But I've no doubt that you will find your path. And nail it!

I've never been to Greece. A good friend spent a year living and working on the islands. She never stops talking about it. I'm always enthralled by her stories.

I am very optimistic about you, Deppy. You must promise to stay in touch. Keep me in the loop. And if I can ever help you, please let me know. ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
A few folks pointed me in the direction of this thread. Wow - what a story.

I love the way you talk to everyone here - I can almost picture you picking up a pen and fresh piece of paper, thinking for a moment and writing a personal note to them. Just amazing :)

You have a great story and I'm so happy you're here sharing it with everyone.

Good morning Jason @JAJT from Oz,

Thank you!

You're very insightful. I don't pick up a pen and paper. But I do think. And explore links to the person I'm replying to. So I can find out more about them. Before I post my reply.

I've looked at your Kickstarter campaign. Your website. And your Instagram account.

It's all as you say. Extraordinarily talented artists. Producing works of art for jigsaw puzzles.

What a fabulous. And simple. Idea.

How did you come up with the idea for the puzzles?

And how/why did you choose the name Bone Owl Puzzles?

No! Don't tell me. I'm at page one of your thread. Where you're 'down and out'. I'm already hooked. Let me read it all. And find out for myself!

A pleasure to meet you, Jason. I'm sure we'll stay in touch. ~Carol❤

PS. Thank you for your generosity. Always appreciated.

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Carol

Thats pretty crazy. I myself work with textile products, cheap and effective! I assume that you guys didn't stay in the "ironing board niche" so I wanted to ask: What kind of niche are you guys currently in? Do you stick with just textile products? Also do you invent your own products, or do you make already existing products better?

Your time in awnsering these questions would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to reach out if you need help with manufacturing, I built a pretty good relationship with a manufacturer!

-SamUSA

G'day @SamUSA from rural Australia,

My apologies for taking so long to answer you.

In December, my partner and I sold our beautiful rural property in NSW. And relocated to the alpine region of the state of Victoria. Still in Australia. We are in the rural foothills of Mt Hotham. Victoria's premier ski resort. We've purchased another rural property, 42 hectares (105 acres). My partner, Victor Pleshev, is an architect. And he's designing a house for us to build on this property.

The property is very steep. And we will build our house on the top of a hill. Which has 360 degree panoramic views of a valley below of farmland. And the stunning surrounding hills that form a part of Mt Hotham. So we'll be able to see the snow caps in winter. We also have a seasonal creek at the base of the property which flows freely during winter. When rain is plentiful.

To your question. What niche do we currently occupy? Ironing board covers! We've created an enviable reputation for our product living up to its name - Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover. We also have almost 500,000 customers. in 30 countries. It would be foolish to abandon this market segment. Especially as fewer people are ironing every year. So makers of ironing board covers are dropping out of the market. Which means their exit. Is my gain. There will be fewer and fewer choices for people who want a quality ironing board cover.

No. We don't invent our own products. We choose existing products that don't work. And redesign them so they do work. When others don't work. We've done this with 6 products.

Our products are textile products. With the exception of my jigsaw puzzles. Which are created from my photographs taken in rural Australia. Photography is my hobby.

We don't make cheap products. And don't look for cheap options. The cheap category is full to the brim with competition. We choose quality over cheap. And price our products accordingly. There's less competition at the quality end.

People buy our products as a last resort. When they've burned through the cheap products and finally convince themselves that quality is worth it. They buy from us. We're very patient.

All our products are made with love and care in rural Australia by men and women who have a disability. So we don't look for manufacturing alternatives. Comments from customers confirm that many of them buy from us because we give challenged people an opportunity to participate in the workforce. Which enhances their self-esteem.

I hope this answers your questions, Sam.

And welcome to The Fastlane Forum. You'll meet so many talented people on this forum. Who give. And who are very helpful.

If I can help you in any way, please let me know. And I hope we stay in touch. ~Carol❤

Last edited:

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Just curious: was it because of the droughts or something else? Seems like a difficult decision to sell your beloved rural property in NSW.

G'day @MTF,

Thank you for asking!

There were many factors in play.

One was that my partner, Victor Pleshev, is an architect. And has always wanted us to live in a home that he designed. Up until now, we've always purchased properties with a house on them. And renovated them.

He was hankering for the opportunity to design a home from scratch. To suit us.

He started talking about this in 2014. And I was very resistant. Because we both loved our rural property. And had invested 20 years in developing the showpiece garden. And Meadow House. Which he designed for his mother. We also spent a considerable amount of time improving the 54 hectares (135 acres).

When his mother died in 2014, he thought it was the perfect time to make a clean break. And find another property. Which would be smaller.

I didn't warm to the idea at all.

So Meadow House became a guest house on our property.

But. As time passes. Opinions change.

I could see that Victor was unhappy about not having the opportunity to live his dream. Which is to design and build a house that we'll love living in.

Standing outside. Looking in. It was apparent that I've had my dream come true. Which is to own my own business. And work and live from a beautiful rural property.

And it was unconscionably selfish on my part to not allow Victor to have his dream come true.

Until September of 2018, we were in severe drought. Down to bare earth. The heavens opened. And the rains poured down for a month. We had almost our yearly rainfall in one month.

We went from living in the desert of Saudi Arabia. To living in the emerald green pastures of Ireland.

Victor said this was a small window of opportunity to put the property on the market and have it sell quickly. While it looked so beautiful. He also reminded me that an El Nino was predicted for our location starting in December 2018. And once the El Nino kicked in. We would look drab and brown again.

I made an instant decision that he was right. And he was.

We put the property on the market on 1st October 2018. It was shown to 5 couples. And two couples made offers on the 10th of October 2018. Within an hour of each other. We were fortunate to be able to secure full price. Which we didn't expect.

We settled on the 14th of December. And when I closed the gate for the last time at midnight. To start a new life. I blew a kiss to the property. Thanked it for all its wonderful years.

But knew that I was fully ready to join Victor on his adventure. To make his dream come true.

Come December. The rain stopped. And by the time we left, the landscape was starting to turn brown again.

A friend who raises Alpacas not far from where we lived says her property is now down to bare earth. And she's in a normally high rainfall area. Her property was a potato farm when she purchased it 20 years ago. Very green. And very lush.

The decision to sell was indeed difficult for me to make. But once having made the decision, I had no regrets. And have no desire to look back.

Our criteria for our new location was. Cooler. Wetter. With spectacular views.

We're now in the foothills of the Victorian Alps. The temperature is on average 7C cooler than where we were. And although this area is also experiencing a drought. The landscape is still partially green. With no bare earth. Yet!

We purchased 100 acres in Swifts Creek, Victoria. A small town that in its heyday, was a gold mining town. The property is steep. And once you get to the top (which requires a 4 wheel drive) the 360 degree uninterruped views are sensational. We look down onto a small valley of farms. And the distant hills of the Victorian Alps completely surround us.

We'll be able to see the snowcaps in winter. And watch the hills change throughout the day as the shadow of the sun passes across them. It will be morning and evening mists. A constant breeze. Fully off the grid as there is no electricity. And only mobile phone coverage.

We're more remote than where we were. Shopping is now a 2-hour drive to the closest regional centre. With 40km of the 125km drive being a hairpin bend, two lane, ultra narrow country road. With no roadside barriers to stop you from driving off the side of the cliff face. But as no one speeds. We're not overly concerned.

The drive into Bairnsdale follows a river on one side. And the face of a cliff on the other side. We drive through sun filtering through the mountain treescape. And have trouble keeping our eyes on the road because the landscape is sooooo very beautiful.

When other people our age have put their feet up and are in the departure lounge of life. (It gets earlier and earlier with each generation). We're powering through another change. Energised by the newness of everything. And back to solving more problems in a day than most people solve in a year.

I'm so pleased to have made this change. It's so exciting experiencing new things. Meeting new people. Doing things in a different way.

I highly recommend it.

In 2014 I had no idea I'd be where I am today. And I'm very appreciative of Victor not haranguing me about how much he wants to make a change. But letting time help me make the decision to change.

We are renting a quaint house in the town of Omeo for 12 months. Which is how long Victor estimates it will take to build on our property. We're in the centre of town. So have no real neighbours. Mainly businesses. We're an 18 minute drive from Swifts Creek. And although surrounded by other buildings. We have the privacy we crave by not having neighbours who pop in and out.

It has a big country kitchen. A gas stovetop. But no oven! I'm a baker, so I've had to improvise. I purchased a convection microwave oven. Which although small. Does allow me to bake.

And for roasts, it's the 1970's standby that all of us in Oz had when we were renovating our terrace houses and were without kitchens for a while. Sunbeam's high top frying pan. I was searching the internet at 3am one morning. And finally found one. On eBay. The last one for sale.

It makes the most succulent roasts ever. Much better than an oven.

Again, @MTF, thank you for asking. Answering you clarifies even more for me that it was the best decision. ~Carol❤

Last edited:

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hi Carol:

I do a lot of digital marketing. And people who know me may be surprised at this, but I don't think paid advertising is a sustainable long term business model.

I might have said somewhere that your business is 'different' but it's not. At all. You sell a product that solves a problem and has a unique selling proposition and high salient benefit. That's literally every business that makes it work long term.

You, on the other hand, ARE different.

Paid advertising might work for your business. But it probably will not work for YOU. You don't roll that day. You care more about your customers proselytizing for you than you do about trying to acquire them with the new-fangled techniques of the 'pros'.

I have a rant about digital advertising but that's for some other day. Just know that I believe that organic growth is more indicative of the health of a business than increases in ROAS or ad spend or what have you.

JT

G'day @The-J from Oz,

Wow! That's an unexpected response from a digital marketer.

Thank you!

I've often thought about putting on my website that I don't engage in predatory marketing activities.

Because this is my experience with digital marketers and paid advertising.

In 2015 my partner and I scoured the web for new chairs for our dining room. We looked at many sites before we made our decision.

It was then that I noticed that everywhere I went on the web, there were ads on sites I was visiting. From sites that I had visited for chairs.

I genuinely felt harassed. And was annoyed at being stalked.

To make matters worse, the company we purchased our chairs from stalked me relentlessly for weeks after our purchase.

I had no trouble making the decision that I would reward them for their efforts by never making another purchase from them again.

I then discovered AdBlocker. Which is now on every browser I use.

If I visit a site. And am blocked by the site from viewing its contents unless I turn off AdBlocker. I click off.

I've also noticed recently that the New York Times. For which I have a paid subscription. Is now asking me to disable AdBlocker. Which I refuse to do.

That's why I have a paid subscription. To stop being pursued by predatory marketers.

I also despise those popups from the side that tell me Joe from wherever has just purchased whatever I'm looking at. I hate them so much. I click off the site.

I don't need to be bludgeoned into making a buying decision. I'm intelligent enough to know how to collect information. Assess it. And make a decision.

I assume that my customers are also intelligent enough to make a buying decision. Or not. After they assess whatever it is I've provided in the way of information about my products.

The last thing I want is for someone to regret purchasing one of my products.

I assume that I don't make as many sales as a snake oil salesperson. But nor do I want to. I want solid customers. Who love what they spent their hard earned cash on. And who also love the way they are treated with courtesy. Dignity. And respect. And who come back again and again. And introduce me to their family. And friends.

These are the people who send me postcards from their trips. Email me when they're sick to keep me up to date. Or to share a happy event. Or when they change addresses. Or just to drop in to say G'day.

Over 26 years, this is how I've built my business to where it is today.

We are all a product of our experiences.

When I was 13 years old, I got my first job. Working Saturdays in a department store. It's a job I kept until I left for university when I was 17.

I learned a great deal about how to treat customers from that Saturday job.

That some customers are aloof. And want no help.

That others love it when a sales assistant helps them make a buying decision that they're struggling with.

I also learned that no one likes to be stalked. That is. Followed around the store. And leapt upon if they pick something up to look at it.

I've seen sales assistants do this. And I've seen people leave the store because of it.

This is what digital advertising is. Stalking people. And leaping on them when they pause for a moment to look at something.

In my day, these people were called pests. Today. I call them online marketing predators.

I've disengaged Messenger from all my Facebook pages because I can't stand the mindless approaches made by people who know nothing about me. Asking me to buy something I'm not at all interested in.

It's refreshing to read your opinion, JT. Which isn't shared by the majority of online marketers. I'm almost always shouted down when I tell people I do no online advertising.

Thank you for taking the time to drop in. Say G'day. And share your opinion with me. ~Carol❤

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Good morning from rural Australia,

In a nutshell, my partner and I design and make textile products that are simple solutions for difficult problems. We have 400,000 customers in 30 countries around the world who think our products are the best thing since sliced bread. The icing on the cake is that all our products are made with love and care in rural Australia by men and women who have a disability. We are renown for our simple solutions that work. When others don't.

That's the event.

The process is this.

In 1992, my partner and I lost everything in Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating's 'recession we had to have'. We closed down two businesses. My partner's 12 year old architectural practice. My market research consultancy. We farewelled 16 loyal and supportive staff. We sold our home of 22 years. Two cars. And our personal possessions. To pay off what debt we could. And made a scheme of arrangement with our creditors to pay off the remaining debt.

Poor as church mice. We left the city lights of Sydney Australia. For a rural life in a remote village with no internet access. No email. Not even call waiting. But it met our most important criteria. We could live in a farmhouse whose rent we could afford to pay. The village was heavily affected by a severe drought. And the house was not a desirable place to live. But it was our safety net.

We made a decision to find our way back by utilising simple solutions. Our skills were in design. And research. So we reinvented ourselves as product designers and makers of textile products. Our first product didn't capture the hearts of the marketplace. But our second product did. We redesigned the humble ironing board cover utilising a low tech solution to make sure it was firmly anchored to an ironing board. So it never moved. Which is what makes people hate ironing.

If you make one good product. Customers want more. So we designed 6 more textile products. And today we have more than 400,000 customers in 30 countries. Without any retail distribution. And all done online today. But in the beginning, it was all mail order.

We've been down dark alleys. Wondered if we were certifiably mad to keep doing what we were doing when ironing board covers are not top of mind with most people.

But we discovered they are very top of mind with men and women who must iron.

Even though the subject is not sexy, our products, and our story, have been written about in every major publication in Australia.

We've been featured on mainstream TV. Interviewed on radio. Included in two books. The latest being 'Hunch' by international best selling author Bernadette Jiwa. I'm the 'Ironing Whisperer' on page 73.

The process of working every day is what got us to where we are today.

We did what everyone said we couldn't do. We built a worldwide business from broke. On a remote rural property. Before the internet and email came to our rural village.

I'm here to mix with like minded men and women. I have 35 years of business experience to share. I've done the hard yards. And would love to be of help to those of you who can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

And. I want to travel further along the road to wealth.

It will be a pleasure to meet you. ~Carol❤
Welcome & congratulations on your process & your success!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Good morning @Andy Black,

That's an unexpected surprise! But I'm delighted.

I'll give you some links to follow.

But before I do, you need to know that we ship via Australia Post. And the cost of shipping to Ireland is AUD$45.00.

There's more.

Australia is not part of any EU agreement. And as such, in July 2015, the UK imposed tariffs on parcels arriving from Australia. All parcels, regardless of cost, including gifts, incur VAT at the current rate. As well as a customs import duty. And a customs service fee determined by them. All this must be paid by you at your local post office before your parcel is released.

This is a dealbreaker for me. America is my biggest export market. The UK was 2nd. But no longer.

You must check this information with Customs to find out what extra taxes will be added to your parcel.

If you still want to proceed, here are some links. All costs are in Australian Dollars. Your credit card company converts to the Euro at the time of debit. The Euro today buys $1.51 Australian dollars. So a parcel total of say, AUD$133.35. Should be Euro$88.90. Check what their conversion rate is.

This is the link to the Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover page. Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover. Details

Our website is mobile friendly.

From there you can navigate to every other page, including the Superior Felt Underlay page. Which I strongly suggest you purchase if you don't have a good felt. People all over the world wax lyrical about this felt. It's included in the AUD$45 postage & handling.

On that page is a link to the PayPal shopping cart. All Products

You don't need a PayPal account to use this shopping cart. This shopping cart is also mobile friendly.

Also on that page is a link to a non-PayPal shopping cart. For those who have an aversion to PayPal.

https://interfaceaustralia.com/cgi-bin/cart/smart.cgi.

This cart is not mobile friendly. But. I have many customers in their 70's, 80's and 90's who prefer this shopping cart. So it's there for their benefit.

Our credit cards are MasterCard. Visa. American Express. Diners.

I think I've told you everything you need to know before you shop! If you didn't live in Ireland, 90% of the above wouldn't be necessary to tell you.

Everything you order from us comes with a Twelve Month Wear & Tear Guarantee. We guarantee that you can't wear any product out within 12 months. If you do, we replace it. At the end of 11 months, I send you an email to let you know your guarantee expires in 30 days. So. If you're having a problem, tell me, so I can fix it. We want happy customers. Not grumpy customers.

We also guarantee a complete no questions asked refund. Including your postage. If what you purchased doesn't meet your expectations. In 23 years I have only been asked for one refund. A customer ordered a cover. A week later her mother-in-law gave her a cover as a gift. Victoria didn't want to ask Barbara to take the cover back. So she asked me if I would give her a refund. Of course I would. And did.

If you need more information, please let me know. I would be beyond thrilled to see an order from you. But do know that the tariffs and VAT can be a dealbreaker.

By the way, in July 2017, Australia followed the UK's example. And we have to pay GST on all overseas orders we place. ~Carol❤
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the detailed note. I can see how you make sales. You're prepared to engage your market hand-to-hand.

I live in the Republic of Ireland which isn't part of The UK, while Northern Ireland *is* part of The UK. Which should mean no extra tarrif.

Just to clarify, because it's not simple and because it might help with your previous second largest market:

Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales. They all border each other.

The UK is short for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". NI is part of The UK, and uses the pound as currency. NI is separated from GB by The Irish Sea.

On the same physical island as NI is The Republic of Ireland (also just known as Ireland). Ireland isn't part of the UK and uses the Euro as currency.

I don't live in the UK and that tarrif shouldn't be imposed.

What might interest you is that when I order products from Amazon.co.uk then a lot of sellers don't deliver to Ireland.

A workaround here in Ireland is to use services like parcelmotel.ie where the product is shipped to their NI address (part of The UK), and then driven down to their Dublin address and distributed out to cities and towns throughout Ireland. I then go to one of the parcelmotels and pick up my delivery.

We of course pay a little extra for that service.

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hi Carol

This post really struck a chord with me and honestly made me well up. I love your advice, your caring nature and how you run your business alongside a social aim. I am a helper and want to give to the world by making an impact/leaving a legacy and you are doing exactly that. So thank you for being my muse and bringing value into your posts and into the world :)

Good morning @SazzleB from Oz,

Thank you! That's a lovely response.

The business world today is very edgy. And self-focussed. So many entrepreneurs don't want to get to know their customers. They're told customers waste their time.

Actually. Customers pay the bills. And they want to know about the people who run the business. And they want to know how they run their business.

Victor and I are caring people. And when we chose to run our business as a kind, caring company with a heart, we were told by 'experts' we wouldn't last 6 months. Here we are 24 years later. Still in business. With customers who purchased our first Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Covers. And their extended families.

If you care about others, you're already in the top 5% of men and women who run a business. Build on that. And find a path that lets this attribute shine through. And don't ever let anyone tell you to be anything other than your true self. The business world needs people like you. And customers crave people like you.

It's a privilege to meet you. If I can ever help you on your journey, please let me know. ~Carol❤

Kerin

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
592%
Nov 12, 2013
Sydney
Dear @Carol Jones

Thank you for sharing your story - I can feel the warmth of your personality in every one of your posts. What a delight it is to have you here! My husband and I live in Australia too, on Sydney's northern beaches. We will be moving to QLD soon, to distance ourselves from the rat race here in Sydney. Also, housing prices have gone through the roof! All we can really afford right now, without compromising our business, is a shoebox. We welcomed a baby girl last year and we want her to grow up with a nice big backyard to run around. I can't wait to experience more of what our beautiful country has to offer.

My husband and I left our office jobs 3 years ago to work full time on our business. In those 3 years we've gone through a lot of ups and downs but at the end of the day we are still here. Like yourself and Victor, our journey started with one small step at a time. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Looking forward to following your journey.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Carol Jones

I appreciate the time you took to write up the latest posts here.

I am constantly debating with myself on which distribution path to go (b2c, b2b, both?), and you provided some valuable insight into what goes into making that choice.

It has given me more to think about.

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
No! Don't tell me. I'm at page one of your thread. Where you're 'down and out'. I'm already hooked. Let me read it all. And find out for myself!

G'day again Jason @JAJT from Oz,

What a small world it really is. Up until you dropped in yesterday to say G'day, I had no idea who you were. Or what you did.

I've read about half of your thread and stopped. So I could share with you where I am with puzzles.

I'm an amateur photographer. With - fortunately - a very good eye. I can quickly frame a photo and know it's going to be a good shot. I also have an exceptionally good long range, superzoom digital camera. Which you need when you're photographing wildlife in the distance. Which are always on the move.

I live and work from my remote 54 hectare (135 acres) beautiful rural property that's located in the hill country of a very picturesque part of rural Australia. On the east coast.

Every morning at sunrise, I talk a walk on my property. With my camera around my neck. Photograph what I see. And choose one photo every morning to post to my social media accounts.

Because we emphasise that we are a rural business, I also use my photos on my website. In all my newsletters. And in my emails to customers and prospects.

I've been taking these photos since 2012. And have hundreds of thousands stored on my desktop.

I receive enough compliments on a regular basis regarding the photos, to know they're very appealing to people. And are often asked the following:

Can I purchase one as wall art? No. I don't have the facility to produce them. Nor do I want to.

Will I do a calendar? No. The online world is awash with calendars.

What about a book of your photos? No. Too expensive.

Tea towels? That doesn't really excite me.

Fridge magnets? No. I can't see that being a good market for me.

Cards. That's a maybe. But how many people send cards these days?

What stopped me in my tracks this February was a customer. Who told me that every time I post a photo of the kangaroos that roam my land, her grandchildren, whom she looks after 3 days a week while their mother and father go out to work, are mesmerised by their images. Being an artist, and a dedicated grandmother who is besotted with her grandchildren, she asked me if I had ever thought about turning my photos into puzzles for young children.

Especially as the wildlife that I photograph - kangaroos, exotic birds, wild goats, sheep that my neighbour agists onto my property, my neighbour's horses - are rarely seen by children in the city.

That idea excited me! Because. I'm a jigsaw puzzle fan. Have been since my parents gave me a jigsaw puzzle as a child.

It's also an excellent way to use my photographs. And a different way to generate revenue from them.

I already have a cultivated market for grandchildren. My customers. Who are mature. Many of them grandparents. Who could see them as a perfect gift for their grandchildren.

I'm 3 weeks into this venture. And this is where I am at right now.

We are dedicated to having everything we offer to the public made in Australia. Our quality. And made in Austalia. Are major selling points for us.

I didn't think that puzzle making was a big venture in Oz. But my partner, Victor, did a quick scan of Google and found several pages of makers here.

Most of the puzzle makers do one-off personal puzzles. They will turn any photo into a puzzle. Your wedding. Favourite photo of your child. A special event. Becomes a puzzle.

What an eye-opener that was for us.

So that was hurdle number one jumped.

My interest in photography is in the morning walk. And the taking of the photos. And posting them to my social media accounts.

I'm not particularly interested in curating my photos. But Victor is very interested. He's been at me for several years to do something constructive with them. When he sees an exceptionally good photo, he says, 'that's one for the wall.'

And he's also excited by the puzzle venture.

He's talked to several puzzle makers. And has chosen one he thinks is more suitable for us. Especially as they specialise in puzzles for children. They make puzzles for the Department of Education for young children.

They can make puzzles that are 30 large pieces. Or 60 smaller pieces. They also make 500 piece puzzles. And 1000 piece puzzles.

And they also have no minimum purchase requirement. One puzzle is fine for them.

It's a husband and wife team who showed more interest in our venture than the other puzzle makers. And are more than happy for Victor to send them a photo. Which they will make into a puzzle. And send to us as a sample.

Because we don't know if this will be successful or not, Victor wants to offer the puzzles on our website as custom made-to-order only. So we're not holding stock. Customers can choose their puzzle from 'X' number of photos.

This puzzle maker has a guaranteed 2-day turnaround time per order. And is happy to mail direct to our customer. Which means we're eliminating one cost. Which is the Australia Post charge to get the puzzles to us. And then us to mail to our customer. Australia Post is one of the most expensive postal services in the world. And double posting is dead money.

Whether we do that depends on how the product is presented when we open the parcel. I'm very fussy about the fact that when customers open a parcel from me, it should be akin to receiving a gift in the mail. So we'll see about that one.

Victor has cast his architect's eye over the photos. He's also a very talented pencil artist. So his eye is more critical than mine would be. Has chosen about 50 that he thinks will work. And is ready to send a photo to the puzzle maker. For us to receive a sample.

If I was doubtful before I read your posts. And I was. As we all are when we start a new venture. I'm not now. Your thread has convinced me this is a genuine opportunity. And I'm looking forward to receiving the sample.

Being in this business for 24 years, I also know that disappointment is just around the corner regarding companies who make things. And I hope this puzzle maker doesn't disappoint. Because then we're back to square one.

I was particularly taken by your comment about puzzle dust. And is definitely something I will be looking for.

Thank you, Jason, for your thread. It's been very enlightening. And encouraging. I'll finish reading your thread by the end this week. ~Carol❤

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Carol,

You are incredible! Your story and insights will be very valuable to this forum. I'm glad I get to follow along, thank you!

If you were to tell your 23 year old self a piece of advice, what would it be?

Last edited:

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Good afternoon @Carol Jones from Metropolitan Sydney.

Thank you for sharing your story. It's inspirational, especially for someone living in the same state/country!

Bits of UNSCRIPTED kept coming up when I went through your posts.

I cannot wait to be like you, offering help & giving value to people who need.

G'day @Magneto C!

How fabulous to meet you. I'm absolutely thrilled.

Where do you live in Sydney?

We lived in Balmain for 22 years. We now live in the picturesque Central Tablelands of NSW. In the hill country between historic Bathurst. And the vineyards of Mudgee. On 54 beautiful hectares. We're 970M high. And have stunning views across the hills towards Bathurst.

We're in serious drought at the moment. We've had only 10mm of rain since March. So the hills aren't as gorgeous as they should be. Their colour is more like living in the stark desert of Saudi Arabia. When I much prefer the emerald green of Ireland!

What do you do? Or. What are you hoping to do?

You can help someone today. You don't need to have the years of experience that I have. You will have a skill. Or an area of knowledge. That someone else can benefit from. Trust me. We always sell ourselves short.

Participating in forums, there's always someone who is looking for advice. Or expertise. That you can fill in the gaps for. There will always be someone who doesn't know as much as you do about 'X'. And will be grateful for your help.

I love that you've dropped in. And hope we stay connected. If I can ever help you in any way, please let me know. It would be a privilege to continue the conversation.

I'm starting Unscripted today! ~Carol❤

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been in the market for a new ironing board cover for a few weeks now. I even have one in the boot of my car to return because it was rubbish.

Where do I buy please?

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
How in the world did I miss this thread? 400K global customers? Sick.

Also, MJ, can we increase the rep transfer limit or remove the cap?

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hi Carol,

True, your story was about the size of a small novel, but it was a good read.

I was born at Rylstone but I know Ilford well, having hunted rabbits and feral pigs there many years ago. My ancestors were pioneers in the Rylstone district.

Having recently downsized from our large cattle property where that bucolic scene out of the office window was my workplace. I am now living on a much smaller property where smaller allotments have largely crowded out the kangaroos, so I don't see them through my window. Cattle are still an every day sight, and I don't need to travel far to see kangaroos, so as age imposes a less active lifestyle I still enjoy the countryside.

Yes I have lived in 4 countries as part of my importing business in which I set up franchises in those countries. Living there gave a better knowledge of the local business practices and opportunities, rather than relying on what I had learned from relatively short visits. Those visits have involved me driving in 17 countries, but there were others where I would never attempt to drive myself.

Operating that franchise organization involved the difficult task of instilling the customer first mindset into people who bought a franchise because they saw an opportunity to make money. Few seem to understand that by going the extra mile and sometimes sacrificing some profit in the short term you can reap greater rewards later.

I have even replaced free of charge a competitor's faulty products that the customer thought were mine. I casually mentioned it when personally delivering the replacements together with their small order, and they were gobsmacked. Repeat orders grew ever larger and that customer was mine for life.

I was drawn to read your story because of your attitude to people and to life in general, and I have no doubt that it is the major factor in your success.

Walter

Good morning again @Walter Hay,

Rylstone is such a sweet rural town. Because couriers won't deliver to our property. Too off the beaten track. Rylstone Ag Supply graciously offered to accept all courier deliveries there. It's a drive to get there. But it's a good option.

Thank you for your kind words. I love people. I'm not a great socialiser. I limit who I spend time with. But I'm very people focussed. And love meeting people on the street. And chit chatting.

Before the internet. Before shopping centres. And back into the last century. This is how shopkeepers kept their clientele. By liking them. Showing kindness. And consideration.

Some of my earliest memories of going shopping with my mother in New York City before I started school - I'm an expat American - before the age of supermarkets - was the attention the shopkeepers paid to me. I was just a child. But Mrs Novotney, who owned the delicatessen, always cut a slice of salami for me to munch on while she talked to my mother. She was my favourite!

That was all stripped away when self service became the norm. And shopkeepers got out of the habit of letting their customers know they cared about them.

Love your story about replacing a competitor's product. How many business owners would even think to do that today?

I hope we stay in touch and keep connecting. ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Beautiful story! Welcome to the forum. I've noticed that this forum attracts many great people like you.

Also thanks for making me realise that many succesful people like you listen to Tony Robbins. I should get more into his teachings because I haven't until now. There is a reason he is the most popular self development coach.

Wishing you great success and fun in your journey.

Very insightful, thank you!

G'day @LLPC from Oz,

Love your comment. Thank you so much. Your good wishes are graciously accepted.

There are short bursts of Tony Robbins everywhere online.

One of my favourites is this. And I'm paraphrasing.

Someone was delivered a serious blow. Catastrophic to his business. And Tony's response was:

"What's great about this situation you're not seeing right now?"

This is the link to this short video.

Tony Robbins Has One Question That Can Turn Your Worst Day Around

That one question can turn your worst day around.

I find most of his short messages on Twitter.

There's always a light at the end of the tunnel. So long as you're prepared to keep digging.

It's a pleasure to meet you, LLPC. I hope we stay connected. ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Greetings from Metropolitan Sydney.

This video is 50-minute long, a significant investment. Because of Carol, I watched it and I'm very happy that I did. Guys if you haven't heard of 5 Second Rule before, watch it. It's going to be worth your time. A simple technique that will help you in many areas of life, not just your business.

Good morning Chen @Magneto C from rural Australia,

Thank you for sharing this.

It really does work. I've had mothers tell me they use this technique to calm themselves down if they feel inclined to shout at their children. It does break the brain pattern in the head long enough to reflect. And ask. Do I really want to stay in bed? Argue with my family? Do nothing? Rather than do something positive?

I'm so pleased you found value in it.

It's just after 6am. The sun rises at 6:18am in my rural patch. Every morning at sunrise I go for a walk on my property. With my camera in tow. And post a photo every morning of what I see. On my social media accounts. I'm dressed. Wearing my gumboots. And ready to be surprised by what I see.

My morning ritual is to write my Morning Pages at 4am. And then go out for my morning walk. Some mornings I don't feel like getting up at 4am. But then I do the countdown. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. And I'm up! It works for me. And I'd never forgive myself if I missed my morning walk.

Best wishes, Chen, for a fabulous Wednesday. At least you and I are on the same geographic time! ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
@Carol Jones
Most of the e-commerce business owners I know (myself included) wouldn't have the guts to ask a question like this in fear that customers would start massively returning their orders just to take advantage of the opportunity. You just have a different mindset.

Have you ever tried any online advertising? Or all sales are organic?

G'day @pkom79,

That's not true. You underestimate the integrity of your customer. If they like your product. And you've treated them with respect. They don't take advantage of you.

If. On the other hand, you do nothing more than bombard them with 'buy more' emails! They'll treat you with the disdain you deserve.

Every month I send an email to customers who have purchased the month before. To say thank you. We love you. And we hope you're happy with your purchase. And your buying experience. There's never a request to buy. But I do remind them that with their order, they received a Gift Certificate for a saving on any product they choose. And it expires with their Twelve Month Wear And Tear Guarantee.

Three months into their Twelve Month Wear and Tear Guarantee, I send them an email to say they have 9 months left. And I hope all is well. There is no request to make another purchase. Just a reminder that their Gift Certificate expires with their guarantee.

Six months into their Twelve Month Wear and Tear Guarantee, I send them an email to say they have 6 months left. If there are any problems, please let me know. There is no request to make another purchase. Just a reminder that their Gift Certificate expires with their guarantee.

Nine months into their Twelve Month Wear and Tear Guarantee, I send them an email to say they have 3 months left. I hope they are still problem free. But in case they're not, please let me know. There is no request to make another purchase. I also tell them I'll be contacting them again in 2 months to let them know their Twelve Month Wear and Tear Guarantee will expire in 4 weeks. And their Gift Certificate for a saving on any product expires with that guarantee.

At the bottom of each email is a film strip of all my products. With a link to my website. With no direct request to make a purchase.

Do they buy a different product? Of course they do. They see what I have to offer every quarter. And it motivates them to buy. Especially as I remind them that the Gift Certificate that came with their product 12 months ago. Expires with their guarantee. We get a good conversion rate on that last email.

And. With every new purchase. They get another Gift Certificate for a saving that's good for another twelve months.

Never underestimate the integrity of a customer who is told they're appreciated. Loved. And respected. 5 times in twelve months. It's a callous person who will take advantage of that merchant. And believe me, they don't buy my ironing board covers!

Regarding your questions.

I've never spent a penny on online advertising. I'm on page one of Google for my best search term. And have been there since 2001. I spend a great deal of time making sure my position is never challenged.

The bulk of my orders are referrals. Re-orders. Gifts. Joint ventures. Google represents the smallest piece of the pie.

Thank you for being interested @pkom79. Treat your customers well. And they'll shower you with their love in return. ~Carol❤

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
Good morning @MarekvBeek from rural Australia,

Thank you for your comments.

Yes! I'm very much working full time.

Other projects? Definitely. I want to use the credibility and goodwill I've built up with my customer base over 23 years to transition to other things. I'm not sure what that will be. I have an open mind. But whatever it is, it has to be something that is beneficial to the environment. And which helps other people. Although $$$$ is important. It won't be about making money. But more a case of the $$$$ following the cause.

I'm here because I'm looking for options. And want to meet like minded men and women.

Why share my story?

Because every entrepreneur has been where we've been. Perhaps not flat broke. But close to it.

And many give up before they give themselves a chance. And don't have the courage when they're really struggling to stand up to the flak they get from family and friends because they haven't reached 'success' in the time frame determined by other people.

We've been there.

Victor's parents are a good example. "How come my son, the architect, is now a purveyor of ironing board covers"? They couldn't understand that the 'recession we had to have' decimated the building industry. There was no work for architects for 10 years in Australia. And. They were embarrassed at telling their friends that their son made ironing board covers. Instead of designing tall buildings.

They also couldn't resign themselves to the fact that before the recession we were a very wealthy business couple. With a high profile in the Sydney Australia business community. I was on 3 boards of directors. And Victor was the developers' dream architect.

And afterwards. We were flat broke. With no real prospects for earning an income. I'm sure it caused them a great deal of personal pain.

Friends. Perhaps mean well. But were insistent that we get a job. Rather than fiddle around with something so trivial as an ironing board cover. "Who irons anyway? Doesn't everyone hate it?"

Our accountant. "You're not making enough money. You can't start a business in the depths of the worst recession Australia's ever had. Why don't you both just knuckle under and get a real job?"

And then the strangers we meet. "You really make a living out of selling ironing board covers"? Well not yet. But we will!

Then there's the disapproval from people because the product isn't sexy. Glamourous. High tech. The fact that people who are serious about ironing think it's the best thing since sliced bread doesn't matter.

The banks. "We can't lend you money. Nobody irons. Who are you going to sell to"? How about the 400,000 men and women in 30 countries? Just as starters.

The disapproval. And flak. Comes from all directions. And entrepreneurs starting out need to know they have to have a spine of steel to withstand the assault. And once you get over the hump, and realise your dream is possible, life doesn't get easy. But your faith and confidence in yourself increases. You become more focused on where you want to be. And more determined to get there.

Once you reach that stage, you start to stand up to your dissenters. And put them in their place. Including family.

That's why I want to share my story. To let entrepreneurs know that anything is possible. You just have to find a way to make it happen. Against all odds.

Appreciate your questions, Marek. They made me think - why?

If I can ever help you, please let me know. ~Carol❤

Carol - every one of your posts offers up such a huge amount of value. If you do business anything like you post on a forum, I can see why you and your products are so successful.

How did you get through this constant advice towards the slowlane? How did you keep motivating yourself not tolisten to those around you and quit going for your dreams, despite the obvious risks and your (at the time) very recent experiences of failure?

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
I'm looking forward to reading all that you have to share. Judging by your 1st 2 days on the forum, you will be a "Legendary Contributor" in no time.

rep++

Good morning @cmor16 from rural Australia,

Thank you!

I have 35 years of business experience to share. And love sharing what I've learned. And observed.

Forums are about giving to others. And learning from others. The perfect give. And take. And this forum is exceptional in that respect.

If ever I can help you, please let me know. ~Carol❤

Last edited:

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Wow, Incredibly inspiring, Carol!

More proof that you can reach new heights when you pick quality and creating value over focusing on the money.

Also, I love how your instagram name is "ironingdiva". I think a lot of people missed that one!

G'day @Caramel from rural Austalia,

Thank you! Much appreciated. I've been 'Carol Jones, Ironing Diva' for 7 years. For a long time, I was the only 'diva' on social media. Now every other person is a diva!

Customers crave quality. And they crave value. And they crave being told we love them.

How simple a solution is that for success!

Thank you for dropping in. And I hope we stay in touch. ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the detailed note. I can see how you make sales. You're prepared to engage your market hand-to-hand.

I live in the Republic of Ireland which isn't part of The UK, while Northern Ireland *is* part of The UK. Which should mean no extra tarrif.

Just to clarify, because it's not simple and because it might help with your previous second largest market:

Great Britain is England, Scotland, and Wales. They all border each other.

The UK is short for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". NI is part of The UK, and uses the pound as currency. NI is separated from GB by The Irish Sea.

On the same physical island as NI is The Republic of Ireland (also just known as Ireland). Ireland isn't part of the UK and uses the Euro as currency.

I don't live in the UK and that tarrif shouldn't be imposed.

What might interest you is that when I order products from Amazon.co.uk then a lot of sellers don't deliver to Ireland.

A workaround here in Ireland is to use services like parcelmotel.ie where the product is shipped to their NI address (part of The UK), and then driven down to their Dublin address and distributed out to cities and towns throughout Ireland. I then go to one of the parcelmotels and pick up my delivery.

We of course pay a little extra for that service.

G'day again @Andy Black,

Thank you for all that information. No. I didn't know the difference between Northern Ireland. And the Republic of Ireland. But I do now. What an education that is!

Regarding how our parcels are delivered. Australia Post is our only option.

We live and work from our remote rural property. Where we drive an hour to buy a litre of milk.

Couriers. Or special services. Are not available to us.

Many online businesses in Australia deliver by courier only. We have to drive 2 hours to pick that parcel up. No courier will deliver to our remote property. And there are no courier services in the rural town where our post office is located. I have to make arrangements with a business in another regional location to accept courier deliveries for us. Which is very inconvenient for us. But it's a small price to pay for the lifestyle we enjoy.

Therefore, all parcels are mailed via Australia Post. Which delivers all over the world. It's the only delivery service available to us.

We have no ability to compete with Amazon. And their distribution services.

I just checked the Australia Post site. And they don't differentiate between Northern Ireland. Or the Republic Of Ireland. Only 'Ireland' is a destination.

I've posted quite a few parcels to Ireland, so I don't expect there to be a problem. And if you're not affected by the EU restrictions, then only the postage charge of AUD$45 applies.

Is this of help to you, Andy? ~Carol❤

Carol Jones

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
903%
Oct 5, 2017
Rural Australia
G'day @Kerin,

It's a beautiful morning in my rural patch. Which is the hill country between Bathurst and Mudgee. In the picturesque Central Tablelands of NSW. But it will get much warmer as the day progresses.

We've been here 25 years. Although being a city gal. Born and bred in New York City. Living and working in Washington DC. Then an escape to Sydney Australia. I lived in the inner city suburb of Balmain in Sydney. I can't imagine myself ever going back to city life. I just love the isolation from neighbours. And conflict. And the wildlife. And the amazing sunrises. And sunsets.

Victor and I have been together for 41 years. We're figuratively joined at the hip. We disagree about many things. We also disagree about how to do things. We spit. And spat. But in a crisis, we're inseparable. We know that whatever happens, we have each other's back. Both personally. And professionally.

This is because we share common values about family. And business. And we also share the knowledge that we're better as a team act. Rather than a solo act.

Because. We respect and admire each other's talents. Neither one of us is good at something that the other is brilliant at. So we never compete with each other. Which is one reason professional couples break up. Jealousy. And stepping on each other's toes.

Living and working together 24/7/365 for 35 of our 41 years, means we've also shared more ups and downs together than most couples. Those are also the ties that bind.

I admire anyone who has the wherewithal to tangle with the 'me too' products on eBay and Amazon. And the 'sell at the cheapest price mentality'. I'm not cut from that cloth. I was pleased to read on your thread that you price your products higher. And get sales. That's truly amazing. It shows what tremendous skills you have in marketing your products.

Are you on target to retire in your 30's. As planned?

It's been a delight to get to know you better. And I hope we keep in touch. Best wishes for finding just the right location to live in Queensland. ~Carol❤

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@Carol Jones, have you always been so warm and kind to other people? Even when reading your posts, I can feel that you really care about people. How can one become such a warm and caring person? Is there any advice you can offer to improve this skill?

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Thank you for sharing. It’s people like you who share their stories that make me come back here. Ironing covers. Amazing. Rep transferred.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...