The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I bought a case of porcelain Toys at an Estate Sale

acnavigator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 20, 2014
This isn't Fastlane but I would like to know what others think my best course of act would be to sell these. I intend to keep this post/loggs updated in hopes to inspire others to be able to get out and make some side cash. Like me.

Porcelain toys, which to me is a bit boring but I know somebody out there in the world would buy these. When I saw a box full of these handprinted toys, I knew it had potenial in the right place.

Recently I went to an estate sale to see if there was any hidden treasures that I could possibly get my hands on for a good deal. I was ecstatic when the clerks at the sale told me that I could have these dolls for FREE. They didnt think they could make any money, but I know better.

I am trying to figure out what kind of people I should target. How much I should charge and what platform I can use to move, I would guess around 300 units. Most being a small elephant, but a few other things as well. ( I will put some photos up here in a little bit). I have to do an inventory of what I have in this case.

I am unsure where to start. Any tips/ideas would be great.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I research stuff like this on EBay.
This isn't Fastlane but I would like to know what others think my best course of act would be to sell these. I intend to keep this post/loggs updated in hopes to inspire others to be able to get out and make some side cash. Like me.

Porcelain toys, which to me is a bit boring but I know somebody out there in the world would buy these. When I saw a box full of these handprinted toys, I knew it had potenial in the right place.

Recently I went to an estate sale to see if there was any hidden treasures that I could possibly get my hands on for a good deal. I was ecstatic when the clerks at the sale told me that I could have these dolls for FREE. They didnt think they could make any money, but I know better.

I am trying to figure out what kind of people I should target. How much I should charge and what platform I can use to move, I would guess around 300 units. Most being a small elephant, but a few other things as well. ( I will put some photos up here in a little bit). I have to do an inventory of what I have in this case.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
How did you know it had potential in the right place if you don't have any market knowledge of the products?

acnavigator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 20, 2014
How did you know it had potential in the right place if you don't have any market knowledge of the products?

I really don't. I am working on counting what I have and doing a little inventory.

I have been suprised to read about people doing things similar and making a few extra hundred or even a few thousand on the side. I have read of someone who is making a great income selling Girls hairbows for a dollar a piece.

My philosphy is that someone could make use/collect/ or use for parties like weddings and things. Somebody somewhere wants them. I guess a big help would be to know who to target. Once I get this count out and get a couple photos up maybe it could help elaborate.

acnavigator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 20, 2014
I research stuff like this on EBay.
Yes Ebay was the first I used to get a slight reference of how much I could sell for and things. I'm not sure whether I should target more senior citizens or weddings. I cant imagine there is more than 300 pieces in the case, so I am not trying to create a full blown website and business. Just inquiring about how people would target the right audience and sell these. I still need to get the pics up of these.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Just off the top of my head.

1. You could list it on eBay.
  2. Check out if there are any Facebook Trading/Selling groups for your area
  3. If there are a number of them, open up a stand in a flea market for a day.
  4. Get in touch with an antique shop or collector and see if they are able to give you some info on them. Perhaps they'll even offer to buy.

acnavigator

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 20, 2014
Okay got a couple pics of a few of the pieces. It looks like I have mostly the bear with balloons. A statue of a young boy and girl, with the boy giving her flowers. And a trio of creepy clowns. Who could I market this to? What would some of you do to move these.

I dont know much about porcelain or its value, but I know somebody somewhere would buy these. I know that many times people percieve value based on price. How would some of you sell these? For what price? Who would you target? On what platforms? It seems ebay is good but very interested in other opinions. From anybody.

Attachments

• IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2343.JPG
    IMG_2343.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 7

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I used to go to Shipshewana, Indiana to the auctions, other auctions estate sales, flea markets, and other places. Really, you have to do your research like any other business. Specialize in a specific area, buy books with pricing and history. No one people are buying on the market. Ebay is one place you can observe what's hot and what's not. Really, we were in an the antique communities in Michigan, so you can find lots of things at garage sales, estate sales, and people don't know the price of things, and yes, they will give it to you free. There are lots of television shows for pawn shops, auctions, etc.

You might want to go to your local antique dealers where they have books or library and look up what you exactly have. What are markings on them. There's usually a company signature, logo, date etc, somewhere. First find the value of it. I made 500% profit on things sometimes, for the simple reason people just don't know what they're throwing away. It's sometimes hit and miss. You can rent spaces at flea markets, antique shops, consignment shops in your area.

Antique business can be difficult for the simple reason, you can have a lot of waste from buying things that aren't worth anything if you don't know what to look for. Some people do it for a hobbie, because the treasure hunting is fun. Fastlane though, I believe you'd have too know a lot of history, research, watch, and learn from the big timers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.