The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I bought $12 stocks today for $1.19

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Sorry it's been a while since I posted (ultra-busy). Despite being "asset rich and cash poor", I scraped together some change and bought a nice big chunk of a property development company here which owns loads of commercial real estate (malls) both here in Australia and the USA (it's the 5th biggest mall owner in the USA). It's so cheap because it's withholding a dividend to preserve some cash, as it's having trouble refinancing $1.3 billion due to your sub-prime credit market making its commercial finance market dry up.

My opinion: the underlying business hasn't changed a bit. 95% occupancy, tenants like Wal-mart and other mega brand names, and maybe just a little added expense to refinance or the possibility of selling an asset or two to cover the time until they do find someone to refinance. I valued the stock based on its expected future cash flows, discounted into today's dollars, at about $10-12. So, I got a 90% discount. Merry Christmas to me :)

The lesson for me: markets are crazy, wonderful places where emotion can create great bargains. People I've corresponded with in online stock chatting places have really interesting fears and limitations as to why they won't pull the trigger and make a decision. A guy we all probably know over at RD forums (Les Gee) calls this "noise". I think that chat room was running at 200 decibels, since I was about the only one considering buying. One guy bought $30K of stock at about 40c per stock, and was ridiculed a bit, despite being able to sell today for $1.19 if he wanted to (triple his money in a day).

The stock was 40c yesterday or the day before when I started doing my due diligence. I got it for $1.19 today.

Time will tell if I'm right (I'm a fundamental investor, btw).

I hope you are all having a great time :)

Daniel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio