The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am too comfortable

Anything related to matters of the mind

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
Its been a couple years since i have joined this forum. I have accomplished nothing. I half-assed a couple businesses and kept putting things off. I said to myself "once i get to college i will have more freedom with my time and can start a business". Well im in my second semester and i have wasted all my time playing videogames and other things. I dont have an urgency to create a business but i know i want to. My parents are pretty much forcing me into getting a bio degree and becoming a doctor and i do not want to do that. My plan was to create a business and then drop out. Some days ill feel guilty and start working on a business and then the next day ill spend the whole day playing video games.

I feel like i am too comfortable. I dont have to worry about a job or money. Parents paying everything in full. I dont have the discipline to create a schedule for myself to get things done. I eventually start doing other things (video games, tv) and i cant help it. I have tried so many times.

At this point i feel like the only thing that will get me working on a business is if i HAVE to. That is meaning i have to provide for myself and dont have comfort of my parents. I am thinking about dropping out, working minimum wage job, scraping by, and starting a business. That way i have some fire under me. That way i HAVE to make it. My parents are typical asian parents and they will most likely disown me for dropping out of college. Another option is to save up money to move to a country like Thailand. There i can make it or break it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MindWarrior

Power Moves
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Feb 23, 2015
Its good that you have come to the realization that you are just too comfortable. You've identified the problem. Now do your best to squash it.

Try this:
1. Write down your specific goals for the next month, 3 months & 6 months (I know, I know, beating a dead horse)
2. Write down a list of every single distraction that's getting in the way of these goals.
3. Now go ahead and literally get rid of all of your distractions as much as you possibly can. Sell your video games, sell your tv & delete all your social media accounts. If you're not willing to get rid of these petty things then you just don't want it bad enough.

Twiizlar

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 4, 2012
I have done all these things. The problem is my mindset. I have set goals but I forget about them. I uninstall video games but I re download them. I block certain websites but after awhile a find a way around. The problem is I don't want it bad enough. That's why I was thinking about putting myself in a position where I have to want it bad. I have to put in work to make it

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

StayPositive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Mar 20, 2014
Dropping out is a risk that you does not have to take. You are lucky. You should be thankful for it every day.

Do whatever works best for you. Just do something, because year by year this risk will be higher.

Getting out of our comfort zone (sometimes against our family) often creates the best things in our lives.

Every hour you spend on video games is lost. Irrecoverably. You gain nothing and you lose the most precious thing - your time. I bet you will appreciate it more in a few years.

You are young and you can achieve whatever you want. Think about it. This is huge. Now it is your move. PM me if you need any help.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It just doesn't hurt bad enough...
I agree with that statement. Until hurts and the pain is great enough it makes it hard to be successful.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I would tell you to realize its a process. Pick just ONE thing to eliminate and just do that one thing. You still have time, so don't freak yourself out.

I've found that adding urgency isn't necessarily as easy as throwing yourself into a bad situation. Then you'll just be depressed and poor at the same time.

It's a mindset game, and right nowyou aren't believing in what you need to believe in. You can have the same external surroundings but change your mindset so that you have more urgency.

First figure out your motivations for doing things. Why do you play so many video games? Are you scared that if you actually try you'll fail? What need is video games filling? I can almost guarantee it isn't only entertainment.

Try to reverse engineer why you are doing what you are doing and then figure out what you need to view differently.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I dont have the discipline to create a schedule for myself to get things done.

Ok, so you know the problem - figure out how to solve it. This is the entrepreneurial path.

Or you can get a job and somebody will solve that problem for you.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
These posts are some of the best advice you'll ever get.

Take ACTION. Do SOMETHING. I think you're around my age (19-20), what helped me was that at 16 years old, I started importing dog collars from China and selling them on Kijji. I sold quite a few very fast (it was during summer). I started making more than my friends in a week than they made in a month... I was liking this..

Moral of the story - Take ACTION. Do SOMETHING. Read the Millionaire Fastlane if you haven't already.

BruceWayne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Feb 26, 2009
Wisconsin, USA
I think "forcing" yourself by quitting and taking a minimum wage job could so easily backfire. You could find yourself without time or energy (because of scraping by to make ends meet) to make it happen in terms of business for yourself. Why? Because you haven't fixed the underlying issues you have that currently prevent you from starting and staying with a business.

I think there are two issues here. One, you may not know how to start a business and keep at it. So, it overwhelms you (perhaps only on a subconscious level) and you turn back to the security of computer games, etc. Two, you have bad habits. If you don't fix the habit issue, it will stick with you no matter how you try to "force" yourself by making yourself uncomfortable. So, to that end, I'd recommend staying in college and fixing your habits. Overwrite the bad ones, and make new ones regarding your business goals.

How to do that? Charles Duhigg probably has one of the better books on the subject, but you can check out his site, which has enough scientific, yet actionable information to get you started. http://charlesduhigg.com/additional-resources/
In specific, start here:
1 - A longer guide to creating habits
2 - How to Create a Habit (infographic)
3 - How to Change a Habit (infographic)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
How does working a minimum wage job help you create a business?

Quit the pity party. Get to work.

Could you create a business around people like yourself who waste time and play video games?

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
If you have time to play a video game.. You sure have enough time to work on your business.
Those new video games and their add ons are what? $60+ a pop.. Invest it in a domain name and get a business started

You are in a much better position than most god youll be kicking yourself if you do something as daft as quitting college/uni to work a low paying job?
If you want fire under your a$$ go find something that hits a nerve and makes you finally take action. Dont just quit college because you dont like it

Peta of JamRock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 10, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
Dude, you want pressure? 'Get uncomfortable' motivation? Imagine yourself as your parents' living, breathing retirement plan. Oh, and you have to make sure YOUR ducks are in a row as well as theirs. All in a heaping wreck of an economy.

:) (I smile to keep from crying).

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014