The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Storm24

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 9, 2018
Australia
Ive been lurking a bit, getting a feel for the forum - and i’m absolutely blown away by the sheer amount of value shared by the community. Ive decided to become a part of the fastlane community and with that, its time for me to write an intro.

A brief backstory

A combination of poor life decisions and career choices brought me to age 20 with health difficulties, the inability to work and my savings sucked dry. I grew up as inquisitive child and was fascinated by what separated the wealthy from the poor. Sold the typical corporate-crap as THE pathway to wealth (big mistake) I thought I had no options, so i swallowed the pill and enrolled in university - paid with debt of course (facepalm).

To make ends meet ive done a few little things but never quite took the dive in true entrepreneurship:
  • A little freelance photography
  • Managing some short term properties
  • Bought and sold a few products
  • Some odd jobs and short term stints
  • Crappy jobs to get by
Over time i couldn’t figure it out but things just didn’t add up - the economics behind thousands of grads being pumped out with the limited skillsets and the connection between how few people actually make it wealthy - i smelt some bullshit.

Somewhere along the lines i read a few books and concluded a few things - Businesses and income producing assets create wealth (all started with Rich Dad Poor Dad). I switched majors to better prepare my journey in business (sunk cost fallacy - 'in too far to quit').

Now

Nothing special. Still in my early twenties and still enrolled, i stumbled on TMF and Unscripted and it’s changed my thinking forever. I also realised how much of an action-faking wantrepreneur i am. I’ve been ‘dreaming’ of creating a business for about 1-2 years in between my current job (dead end) and university commitments (about 30-60hrs per week total).

Ive been a hard action faker by consuming or a dozen books or educational material in between my studies - everything ranging between PPC, Copy, HTML/CSS, JS, and just basically ‘learning stuff’. I realise ive been sucked into the circle jerk of learning out of fear and never starting jack.

Im that guy whos had a hundred different ideas but never knew what to do with them. Im that guy that’s thought of different hustles, ecommerce and software ideas and never had the balls to pull the trigger.
I’m tired of not taking any action. I realise ill be saying this forever if I don’t start (there is no best time to launch; if you keep waiting for the lights to go green, you’ll never get started).

My goals: Retire by 35 through the creation of fastlane businesses creating real value and RE investing (long term).

Plan of action so far is to finish my degree, whilst focusing on learning a particular skill to hustle to start owning my time, kill my fear, read the GOLD/NOTABLE threads and start pulling the trigger on starting a real business.

Thanks for reading; that’s enough from me now - I look forward to learning, failing, copping criticism, earning my stripes, connecting with others and getting stuck into the forum.

EDIT: formatting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BradyH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 13, 2018
Washington State
Im that guy whos had a hundred different ideas but never knew what to do with them. Im that guy that’s thought of different hustles, ecommerce and software ideas and never had the balls to pull the trigger.
I’m tired of not taking any action. I realise ill be saying this forever if I don’t start (there is no best time to launch; if you keep waiting for the lights to go green, you’ll never get started).
I can relate. I had to start telling myself that I was capable of action. I think there is incredible value in positive self-reinforcement.

My advice would be to pick the skill you think you'd enjoy the most, because all of them are perfectly good ways to get what you want. I spent a couple days thinking about it, but after I realized what my favorite idea was, I was able to move on to mastering that skill and forgetting about the others. Best of luck to you!

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
I think I'll save @Andy Black a few typing :D

Go find someone who needs help with ONE thing and help him. And always start with those close to you (family,friends,etc.).

Stop consuming, sometimes you already now enough to help someone, you don't need to be an expert, you just need to know a little more than the people you're helping. Get yourself some traction and learn things along the way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes! Glad to hear the books made an impact. Your body of work sounds like you have what it takes. You're not afraid of getting your feet wet.

Thanks for the intro and welcome to our little corner of the web.

Storm24

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 9, 2018
Australia
I had to start telling myself that I was capable of action... pick the skill you think you'd enjoy the most, because all of them are perfectly good ways to get what you want

Thanks for the feedback @BradyH. Yeah thats definitely something I need to drill in my head - that i CAN and NEED to take real action - its the only thing that creates quantifiable results.
Its time for me to put my learning to the test.

Go find someone who needs help with ONE thing and help him

Thanks @NVaz, great advice. Im going to pick a skillset and sell it to begin with; ive been seeing lots of opportunity in helping local businesses so I may start there.

Yes! Glad to hear the books made an impact. Your body of work sounds like you have what it takes. You're not afraid of getting your feet wet.

Thanks for the intro and welcome to our little corner of the web.

Wow, thank you for the warm welcome @MJ DeMarco! You weren't joking when you said you're here every single day...

Thank you for taking the blindfolds off - you've already changed my thinking and for that - I am so grateful. Its up to me now to start putting that mindset to work. I have much work to do!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...