The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’ve studied Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior for 10+ Years. AMA.

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
What are the most useful things you’ve learned from psychology that are practical and applicable for business?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What are the most useful things you’ve learned from psychology that are practical and applicable for business?

The Ben Franklin effect is a proposed psychological phenomenon: a person who has already performed a favor for another is more likely to do another favor for the other than if they had received a favor from that person.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

I touched on it earlier in this thread but the work of skinner has been helpful

Human action boils down to a simple formula

Action = expected benefits - expected costs

In other words, humans will take action if the believe the action will be a net gain for them. A lion will chase a gazelle if he believes he will gain more energy from the meat than he expends on the chase. If someone believes a hamburger has more value than the $1 in their pocket, they will act. Notice I said believe though because that’s an important caveat. People are swindled all the time because they believe an action will benefit them, but doesn’t. MJ talks about perceived value. Like.. I had a friend who bough a very expensive camera in Italy for $100. He got the camera, opened the box when he got home, and it was filed with rocks. He believed it would be a net gain. The opposite is also true. I see companies with amazing products fail all the time because they poorly market it. The people don’t believe it will be a net gain.

In other words, people can believe there’s a new gain when there isn’t, and they can miss a net gain when there is.

I wrote more about it in this thread: The master key to changing habits and behavior for good.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
I touched on it earlier in this thread but the work of skinner has been helpful

Human action boils down to a simple formula

Action = expected benefits - expected costs

In other words, humans will take action if the believe the action will be a net gain for them. A lion will chase a gazelle if he believes he will gain more energy from the meat than he expends on the chase. If someone believes a hamburger has more value than the $1 in their pocket, they will act. Notice I said believe though because that’s an important caveat. People are swindled all the time because they believe an action will benefit them, but doesn’t. MJ talks about perceived value. Like.. I had a friend who bough a very expensive camera in Italy for $100. He got the camera, opened the box when he got home, and it was filed with rocks. He believed it would be a net gain. The opposite is also true. I see companies with amazing products fail all the time because they poorly market it. The people don’t believe it will be a net gain.

In other words, people can believe there’s a new gain when there isn’t, and they can miss a net gain when there is.

I wrote more about it in this thread: The master key to changing habits and behavior for good.

Thanks for the reply.

I think that insight can help somewhat in business.. but not so very much as it can apply to many different things.

Perhaps I can hone in my question to get some further psychology insights that can be readily applied to business.

Have you come across any great psychological findings that can aid a business in Marketing their products to customers and hitting psychological points or frame it in a way that will make consumers choose it over competing products, etc.?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Thanks for the reply.

I think that insight can help somewhat in business.. but not so very much as it can apply to many different things.

Perhaps I can hone in my question to get some further psychology insights that can be readily applied to business.

Have you come across any great psychological findings that can aid a business in Marketing their products to customers and hitting psychological points or frame it in a way that will make consumers choose it over competing products, etc.?

Yea, there’s an entire field on that:

Evidence-Based Marketing

But a favorite around here is Robert Cialdini’s “Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion” and his other book "Pre-Suasion: A Revolutionary Way to Influence and Persuade"

If you hang around here you’re probably familiar, but if not this is a good place to start.

This isn’t a psychological finding, but perhaps you’ll find this other thread I posted useful: The single most important entrepreneurial lesson: People buy emotions.

If you have a more specific questions I’d be happy to answer too.

NuclearPuma

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
May 3, 2015
Have you read the book "Psycho-Cybernetics" written in the 60s?

What are your thoughts on it?

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
I know what a women wants. They want "What do you want?"
Okay, I'll answer that as I don't find this question so incredibly difficult: a lot of fun, a lot of free time, and a lot of money. Not so hard at all ;)
And yes, "what do you want" is a good question, and one I have found men and women are equally pleased to hear...

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.