The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I’ve studied Psychology, Neuroscience and Human Behavior for 10+ Years. AMA.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I think psychology is the cornerstone of selling. And I figured since there are a ton of marketers and curious individuals this might be a good place if anyone has any general questions about psychology neuroscience or human behavior. I’ve studied it formally and informally, in classes and on my own. So anyway... if any of you guys have any questions, whether it be personal or marketing related: post them up here.

I’ll post citations/evidence to the best of my ability as well.

:smile:

whats the psychology behind your silly profile pic. I don't get it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
freud-quote.jpg

Sexually? A man with strong genes so her child is well adapted physically.

Long term? A man who is good at providing resources so her child has the nourishment and resources it needs.

Women want a man that’s going to give them children with the best chances of surviving, and thriving.

Studies show that women, when looking for short term flings look for more “Alpha” males, but when they’re looking for a long term relationship look for a man who’s a more nurturing provider. The ideal situation for them is to find a man who’s naturally “Alpha” and she’s able to ‘tame’ him and make him more nurturing. And if you look at many romance novels, that’s a recurring theme in them. Woman meets an unpredictable “Bad Boy” type and gradually gets him to sink in, settle down and fall for her. Now that crazy bad boy is her husband.

Furthermore, when a woman is at her most fertile in her cycle (ie most likely to get pregnant) and estrogen is high she is mostly interested in “Bad Boy Alpha Males” who she desperately wants to f***. But during the rest of her cycle (when estrogen is low, and progesterone is high) she looks for a more nurturing type provider males. It’s the Lover/Provider dynamic.

When Fertile, Women Want Manly Men

What do women want? It depends on the time of the month

I know that the question was asked in a half joking manner, but that’s the answer.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I think psychology is the cornerstone of selling. And I figured since there are a ton of marketers and curious individuals this might be a good place if anyone has any general questions about psychology neuroscience or human behavior. I’ve studied it formally and informally, in classes and on my own. So anyway... if any of you guys have any questions, whether it be personal or marketing related: post them up here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

+1
This is a list of the top professions that attract sociopaths:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media (Television/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

The list is missing politician... but then again, many lawyers go into politics.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've re-opened this thread and deleted all the INSULTS, FOUL LANGUAGE, and DOXXING.

Please approach this thread with the knowledge that the OP does not have "formal training" in this discipline, but probably has studied more on it than the average JOE walking down the street, and perhaps, the average user here at the forum.

Please keep it on point or it will disappear forever in the land of forgotten posts, only to be reactivated 4 years later by The Abundant Man. ;-)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I'd ask the same for the masculine soul "what does a man want?"
Sex. lol

I'd also ask how do idiots and truly sociopathic people (when the sociopathy is patently obvious to everyone) get ahead in the corporate world? I can provide a whole collection of samples around me for study!

Sociopathy is a fascinating topic for me. I have a good friend who is a diagnosed sociopath. He’s a great guy (i know that sounds weird,) but he has had the tendency to do some really heartless shit over the years.

But not only are sociopaths able to get ahead in the corporate world, they’re actually advantaged. I’ll answer why in a second.

This is a list of the top professions that attract sociopaths:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media (Television/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

And the professions least likely to attract sociopaths:

1. Care aide
2. Nurse
3. Therapist
4. Craftsperson
5. Beautician/Stylist
6. Charity worker
7. Teacher
8. Creative artist
9. Doctor
10. Accountant

Forbes: The top 10 jobs that attract Psychopaths

The reason they’re able to get ahead? Sociopaths are defined by a lack of empathy. So while I don’t want to perpetuate the myth of the “Evil CEO,” (most CEOs are amazing, value providing individuals,) a sociopath has an advantage in that they're willing to step on whoever it takes to get what they want. They’re not encumbered by silly things like “Morality” like the rest of us. And amount of power associated with being a CEO is very attractive to the sociopath who craves power. They’re also have this superficial charm that is so helpful in getting what they want... job positions, sales, whatever.

Profile of the Sociopath

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You may logically not want kids, but everything about your biology from sex to falling in love is designed to persuade you otherwise. The human species has not made it this far by ‘not wanting kids’

Further info: Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene explained

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Sexually? A man with strong genes so her child is well adapted physically.

Long term? A man who is good at providing resources so her child has the nourishment and resources it needs.

Women want a man that’s going to give them children with the best chances of surviving, and thriving.

Studies show that women, when looking for short term flings look for more “Alpha” males, but when they’re looking for a long term relationship look for a man who’s a more nurturing provider. The ideal situation for them is to find a man who’s naturally “Alpha” and she’s able to ‘tame’ him and make him more nurturing. And if you look at many romance novels, that’s a recurring theme in them. Woman meets an unpredictable “Bad Boy” type and gradually gets him to sink in, settle down and fall for her. Now that crazy bad boy is her husband.

Furthermore, when a woman is at her most fertile in her cycle (ie most likely to get pregnant) and estrogen is high she is mostly interested in “Bad Boy Alpha Males” who she desperately wants to f***. But during the rest of her cycle (when estrogen is low, and progesterone is high) she looks for a more nurturing type provider males. It’s the Lover/Provider dynamic.

When Fertile, Women Want Manly Men

What do women want? It depends on the time of the month

I know that the question was asked in a half joking manner, but that’s the answer.
quote-oscar-wilde-women-are-made-to-be-loved-not-100930.png

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Jordan Peterson has a net worth of $1.5M as of 2018. I'll be 100x more successful than him

1.5m because he’s just gaining fame like.. this year. As time goes on his brand is just going to grow. In a few years that number will be way higher than 1.5.

But regardless, if you ever have a new worth higher than Jordan Peterson’s, I will literally... literally, literally... eat my shorts.

I don’t know what the legality of these things are but if there’s any legally Binding way to make a contract in a forum: I hereby legally agree to eat a large portion of my shorts if the above poster is ever more successful than Jordan Peterson.

Now please stop trolling my thread.

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland

Why do i have this obsession to achieve something in my life (entrepreneurwise and otherwise) and i think about it almost every waking hour and 99,9% of people around me don't and can't even remotely relate.. what makes people like me different.. I've thought about it so much.. Maybe you have an idea?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Psychologists tend to be passive people in the sense they like to sit back and observe the world and people around them but never get their butt in gear.

They'd rather have an audience to share their opinions with who tell them how great they are.

You remind me of Jordan Petersson.
Jordan Peterson is 100x more successful than you will ever ever ever be. So thank you.

Anyway, if you don’t have a question, please go to another thread. Thank you.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
What produces consciousness?

Oof lol. That’s a can of worms lol.

Neuroscience is starting to find the parts of the brain responsible for consciousness and there are evolutionary theories, etc...

In my opinion? They’re bullshit. I think Consciousness is the one (and maybe only) nut science will never ever crack. Not even in a million years. I think it’s outside of the realm of science and possibly in the realm of spirituality.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
What have you done related to entrepreneurship?
Couple books (that were actually a little popular).. Web design biz, small biz helping people install smarthome equipment. But that doesn’t matter. This thread is about psychology and people who want their questions answered. Not for you to troll in. Or for me to feed trolls. So I guess I’m just as guilty. oh well..

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
  1. What's the biggest force that changes people? or maybe, how do the following impact change in personality, mannerisms, etc.:
    1. being around people different than you
    2. being in a static environment
    3. aging
    4. External stimuli like commercials and news
    5. Microdosing / Psychedelics
    6. ???

Okay, I’m not sure how to answer that. I feel like there’s something behind that… like there’s another question behind those.

1. Is a change in personality possible, or do we have a narrow corridor we can wiggle around, based on our genes?
Genes are nothing lol. Genes only encode proteins and you can do a lot about the expression of those proteins. Biohacking is an emerging phenomenon, and I use a service called SelfDecode to read my genes (you send in a sample, it gets analyzed and you get the raw data which you can read,) and when you know your genes you can see what you’re deficient in, and really screw with your own biology.

But for the non-biohacker… yea, it’s a narrow corridor. It’s actually disturbing how narrow it can be. Messing with your biology is big, which is why it’s become so F*cking huge among silicon valley billionaires.

1. What causes relapses in new habit formations?

Elaborate if you can

1. Do people really want different things, or is there an underlying mechanism for all decisions? (I understand the wanting to mate, survive, and pass on genes. Let's go 1 level above that.)

Ummm.. yes and no. There are a lot of universals. But people do it in different ways

Okay example:

Everyone wants high social status, but depending on their social group that high status will be shown if different ways

Skateboarders might organize themselves into who can do the coolest tricks, wealthy people might organize themselves by who makes the most money, teachers might organize themselves by who’s voted “best teacher.” Everyone cares about status. If a group emerged that said they didnt care about status, a status would emerge based on who said they cared the least about status. It’s unavoidable in mammals.

But what people want is more objective than people think. Like you know how people say that physical beauty is subjective? That’s almost complete bullshit. Guys want a woman with .7 Waste to Hips ratio, and for the most part beautuiful is beautiful. There are some differences, but beauty certainly isn’t in the eye of the beholder.

1. What's a lesser know, yet highly important fact about human nature that you know?
  2. ... about marketing psychology?

If there were any ‘law’ in Psychology, it would be as such: “People take action based on the expected reward of that action.”

A human will perform a behavior if he/she believes there’s a possibility of pleasure, and he/she will avoid a behavior if he/she believes there’s a possibility of pain.

Again, people take action based on the expected reward of that action.

That applies more than ever to Marketing because if someone buys something it’s because they expect a reward from that action. using Fastlane terminology: “People take action based on the expected VALUE of that action.”

Fastlane philosophy is totally in line with psychology as a field. Especially Skinnerian behaviorism. It’s complex, but if you want further explanation I wrote a post here:

The master key to changing habits and behavior for good.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Please approach this thread with the knowledge that the OP does not have "formal training" in this discipline, but probably has studied more on it than the average JOE walking down the street, and perhaps, the average user here at the forum.

And to clarify, because I guess I have to spell everything out... the “formal education” I have on the topics are mostly (PAID) Psychology and Neuroscience classes offered by MIT and some from Harvard’s Online Portal, as well as some classes I’ve taken in college. I am not a graduate, nor a formal degree holder in any of those fields, nor did I claim to be. But I have taken a boatloat of classes over the years, that may be helpful to people. These post are not intended to be construed as medical advice etc etc Please contact your doctor I’d rash persists for more than 12 hours etc etc

Again, Psychology has been one of the most useful thing I’ve ever learned, so any question, let me know.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
To add more to he conversation:
As ChrisV said, your brain can be roughly categorized into three parts: Reptilian, Mammal, Neocortex.
The neocortex, aka "consious" works with speeds of ≥500ms. That means half a second for information to travel. Anything that is below that belongs to the unconscious. Your subconscious part of the brain sees, makes you react or make a decision in 50-450ms, and you only realize it afterwards. Remember the time you put your hand in a hot surface and you immediately pulled it back, without realising it? Imagine using your subconscious for everything: You see a bear approaching. Half a second after you realized it. Half a second after you realize it is dangerous. Half a second after you decide to run etc etc, you would be dead. The amount of information your subconscious processes is enormous comparing to your conscious part. Its your supercomputer, versus your neocortex which is more like a calculator.
Thats why I love reading wealth books, to build a mindset, a supercomputers designed to make good financial decisions. Without this, I consider it Impossible.
This is also related to the book "Thinking fast and slow", mentioned somewhere in this blog.

Thanks for this reply.

Thinking Fast and Slow is a classic. If I’m not mistaken he won the Nobel Prize for his work in that book.

What I would say about the conscious vs sunsconscious is... the conscious mind is really everything that makes us human. Other animals with a less evolved cortex do just fine. Cats. Squirrels. And Cats actually have a pretty highly developed cortex.

Let’s put it this way.. you can survive without your Cortex, (PHILOSOPHICALLY) but you can’t survive without the deeper parts.

It’s helpful to look at Evolution.

Source, Scientific American: Your Brain Evolved from Bacteria

Fish do just fine at survival. Lizards do just fine at survival. They see a predator, they run. A lizard feels pain? It knows to stay away. A snake gets scared? It’s fight or flight works just fine. It will run away (flight) or bite/threaten you (fight.)

It’s funny when people say that logic is more important than emotions. Ummmmm, no. It’s a complex, interwoven system where each plays off the next but @ApparentHorizon was taking about a gentleman who’s amygdala (fear center) was damaged. He couldn’t make decisions. He wouldn’t be able to decide where to eat. He would sit there for hours weighing the pros and cons of each restaurant but without emotion he had no drive to act.

Logic just helps us sort through emotions. Even the most logical choices are emotional at the core. You buy a car that has good gas mileage right? Totally logical. Nope. You chose the car that got good mileage to avoid the negative emotion of wasting money in gas.

Emotions are the only motivator (besides physical pain and pleasure.) Logic does nothing to motivate us. It simply helps us calculate emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
And there is none, I was screwing around a while ago and I think when I made this account it just synced with my Facebook so that’s the pic it pulled from my Facebook profile picture at the time. Just haven’t gotten around to changing it.

Nemolein

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Nov 12, 2017
Brazil
Last week i read about neuromarketing. That was a very interesting topic because i notíced many marketers are taking neuroscience study and test in order to understand how peoples behavior and mind works when they are submitted to any action (product or service) that could generate a response.
So, do you think the gurus take this useful tool to improve their " (sh't) product/service that give value to people"?
Another question: do you have material or know books about neuromarketing or about the importance of emotions in people's decisions when they choose what to buy?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I met my old psychologist Tuesday at a restaurant for breakfast. We've become friends. We were talking about the same subject -- how selling is mostly psychology. People's behavior and thinking patterns are the basis of all deal making and advertising. When you study the subject and see their decision patterns, people become utterly predictable.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
How has your study of pyschology impacted your strategies for selling? Have you sold products using insights gleaned from your studies? What are these most profitable insights? Are you a practitioner or a theorist?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Last week i read about neuromarketing. That was a very interesting topic because i notíced many marketers are taking neuroscience study and test in order to understand how peoples behavior and mind works when they are submitted to any action (product or service) that could generate a response.

So, do you think the gurus take this useful tool to improve their " (sh't) product/service that give value to people"?

It’s so funny when people try to use Neuroscience to understand marketing because it’s actually really simple... anything that stimulates dopamine, and specifically dopamine in the Striatum/nucleus accumbens (which is the brains pleasure/motivation/desire center) has the potential to make people buy.

To illustrate, let’s take an example in nature:

Lions like gazelle, right? Their entire livelihood depends on gazelle. So, a lion is just chillin in the savana and all of a sudden when he looks to the north… ALAS! He sees the delicious, beautiful silhouette of a tasty gazelle. In that second Dopamine is squirted right into the center of it’s brain, which stimulates desire and sets off a cascade of events that help that lion catch that gazelle. Glucose is released into it’s bloodstream to provide it’s muscles with energy and BOOM it catapults into action.

Humans? It’s similar. You see the advertisement with the brand new iPhone 12, which squirts dopamine into your nucleus accumbens, which provides you with the energy to camp out over night at the 5th Ave Apple store all night.

People think that Dopamione is the pleasure chemical, but it’s actually not. Dopamine is actually the WANTING chemical.

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh6ceu

But Neuroscience can be useful in figuring out what causes those squirts of pleasure and what we can do to replicate them. I’m not sure if I answered the question correctly but I’m sure sleazy marketers are gonna be all over those findings.

MJ covers this well in his books. Just create value and effectively communicate that value.

Another question: do you have material or know books about neuromarketing or about the importance of emotions in people's decisions when they choose what to buy?

Yea, it’s actually pretty simple. Every action people take, including (and especially) purchases is to enhance pleasure or alleviate pain. You have to effectively communicate what pleasure a product will cause or what pain it will relieve.

A quick overview of the specific chemicals…. cortisol is the stress chemical in humans. Adrenaline is what controls fear. Dopamine controls motivation, serotonin assesses resources availability and social dominance, oxytocin for social bonding/love/friendship… endorphin for pain relief (like runners high)…

Those chemicals in different brain regions provide feedback about the current state a person is in. In terms of Neuroscience to enhance marketing, I would honestly suggest Meet Your Happy Chemicals by Loretta Breuning PhD (Actually the most current version is titled Habits of a Happy Brain,) which will give you insight into human.mammalian behavior in general. It’s not a marketing book, but it explains human/mammalian behavior which will allow you to understand the market much better.

I don’t know if i’d get caught up i the micro-details.... “A red Call to Action button causes people to buy mores than a green one”... just sell good products.

Hope that helps.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Why do you hate on Jordan Peterson so much? So hostile...
I like Jordan Peterson a lot. I’m defending him. I think he makes a lot of really great points and is a great teacher.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Not sure how to reword that. Feel free to interpret it as you see fit.

Things like triggers that cause you to go back to the old way, and waning motivation/drive.

This is GOLD

What’s Gold? The blog post? Yea, I figured it was relevant.

Yea and there are huge lessons for Marketers too.

Everything humans do is because we perceive that action will help us gain pleasure/reward or avoid punishment/pain.

Read that again. Notice it says “we perceive that action will help us gain pleasure.” We do not react to the event or stimulus itself, but of our perception of it. It is our thoughts about a event that creates the response, not the event itself.

So check it.. here’s the lessons for marketers. In a perfect world, consumers would know exactly which product was best suited for them. They would know which ones meets their needs best and which ones were total :shit: . They would never have to return products that weren’t right for them, they would never get swindled :thumbsdown:, and there would be no need for chargebacks. They would just know what products they need.

If the rule were:

Everything humans do is because that action will help them gain pleasure/reward or avoid punishment/pain.

Then people would just buy the best item. They would automatically know. Marketing would be unnecessary.

But they’re not psychic so, that’s not the rule. The Golden Law is:

Everything humans do is because they perceive that action will help them gain pleasure/reward or avoid punishment/pain.

And if I Had to elaborate more on that:

Everything humans do is because they perceive that action will help them gain pleasure/reward or avoid punishment/pain, and the reward we believe we will receive will outweigh the costs we believe we will incur.

A man buys hair styling gel that costs him $5, but he believe’s it’s going to make him look cool, so there’s a positive tilt.

Lets say the marketers said “This shit is made from rare daffodils from the himalayas and will literally make women remove their panties and throw them at you in Starbucks”

He’s like HOLY SHIT WOW I’M GETTING A GREAT VALUE PROFIT

I mean come on.. even aside from being the coolest guy since John Wayne he can ever sell all the panties women are throwing at him on the internet and make triple his money back in minutes! :praise: :innocent: :halo:

But then when he puts it on and goes out the ladies think that it smells like rotting sewage. Turns out Himalayan daffodils actually need to be refrigerated and this company neglected that step. Now the perceived value has a NEGATIVE tilt. You know.... considering he smells like shit.

But nothing about the product changed, just his perception. And if he tells his friends about his experience they’ll have bad perception about the brand.

So how do you market? Get people to perceive that buying that product will help them gain reward or avoid pain. That’s why Ads show people having fun with the product. You can imply that Coca-cola makes people happy. And implying it helps more than telling customers. Showing > telling.

You can really use this to F*ck with people and make them believe they’re getting more value than they’re actually getting. There are a few problems with this approach A) it’s immoral and unless you’re a sociopath, your morals will haunt you and it won’t be worth the money. (Note the Value skew here too? The pleasure of the money doesn’t outweigh the pain of having to look at yourself in the mirror knowing you’re a turd... yet another example of the Golden Law of Psych in action) the next problem is, B) you’re going to gain a shit reputation. Word of mouth is going to spread and everyone is gonna know that your shitty hair gel smells like rotting boogars and makes your hair look like it’s playing Flappy bird.

tenor.gif

All of your revenue is going to have to rely on advertising (not very fast lane since it makes it harder to make it passive) and your ability to convince people your watery daffodil soup will actually hold their hair. You’re chasing money. Where if your ACTUAL value somewhat matches your the value you imply by marketing, you don’t have to feel like a swindler, you don’t have to chase money and the income will be passive from it. Unless you decide to fan the flames with advertising.

Now the opposite is true with marketing too. A good product that’s poorly marketed will screw you up too.

Again, everything humans do is because we perceive that action will help us gain pleasure/reward or avoid punishment/pain. I’m gonna say it a million times since it needs to be drilled into our heads.

A good product with poor marketing is when that action will help that person gain pleasure/reward, but they don’t perceive/believe so... and since our action is based on PERCEIVED reward, not actual reward, it will cause people to not take action.

So people will but if they believe it will cause them pleasure.

You can use this knowledge for good or evil. You can make people believe they’re getting more value than they are @MJ DeMarco talks about the Lustig’s fake money printing machine in his books. He made people perceive they would get more reward than they were actually getting, and since perceived reward causes action.

Further reading:

Value (marketing) - Wikipedia

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Here's an interesting one that recently came out, about the brain: Procrastinators and Do-ers are shaped differently.

Actual paper: SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

There Are Fundamental Differences Between The Brains of Doers And Procrastinators

TLDR:

"Thus, people with higher amygdala volume appear to be more state oriented and therefore tend to hesitate to initiate an intention and tend to delay the beginning of tasks without any good reason," the authors explain in their paper published in Psychological Science.

So instead of just being lazy or unambitious as often assumed, procrastinators may simply be more risk-averse.

"Due to a low functional connection between amygdala and dorsal ACC, this effect may be augmented, as interfering negative emotions and alternative actions might not be sufficiently regulated".

This was a good question in the comments: Is it possible to rewire these and go from procrastinator to do-er?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Oof lol. That’s a can of worms lol.

Neuroscience is starting to find the parts of the brain responsible for consciousness and there are evolutionary theories, etc...

In my opinion? They’re bullshit. I think Consciousness is the one (and maybe only) nut science will never ever crack. Not even in a million years. I think it’s outside of the realm of science and possibly in the realm of spirituality.

Have you ever taken psychedelics? If consciousness were outside the brain, then it doesn't make sense that you could eat a mushroom and so severely alter your consciousness.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The point is that you’re sitting here flailing away at the keyboard talking about some sh*t you don’t even know about, trying to give me quizzes and sh*t when you don’t even know the first thing about it. Then try to imply it’s the wrong answer (when it’s totally correct) even though you don’t know the material. It’s always some dipshit who knows nothing about the subject at hand who has the “BS detector”

Matter of fact, I want to see that Quantum Physics thread. I can only imagine the dumb bullshit you spewed all over that thread.

Imagine if came in a thread trying to tell you how to put up cabinets and I was just spewing some regurgitated bullshit that I heard my plumber say the I didn’t understand myself and SWORE you were removing lime from dirty sinks the wrong way.

@JScott and I dismantled the physics pretender. I don't remember the title of thread, but his BS detector was spot on. I have a PhD in physics and get twitchy any time people start talking about "quantum physics". Dude was a quack.

I am not qualified to ascertain the validity of your neuroscience claims. To be fair, I had thought I heard something about phonons (quantized sound waves) mediating signals between neurons, but don't know how valid my memory of this is.

*edit*

This is the thread in question
Ask me (***ALMOST***) A N Y T H I N G about E V E R T H I N G (Mastermind for Success)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.