The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

Learn how to build wealth and win financial freedom the Fastlane way!

Say "NO" to mediocre living rife with jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs who are making it happen.
Join for FREE Today
Get the books
Remove ads? Join Fastlane INSIDERS
(Registration removes this block)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011

Train

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
May 11, 2021
For those of you with cars that are now way up in price - are you thinking of selling?

I am tempted to offload what I have and just free as much cash up as possible for any incoming deals on property.
I thought about selling my truck which could get me $10k before taxes.

I didn't because I thought there's a good chance I'd give that money back and more to some sharky car dealer with low inventory when I buy to replace.

I got the car as a lease when dealers were desperate for sales during the beginning of the lockdowns so I managed to lock down a great residual.

I recently bought the car without a dealership involved too so I was able to avoid the dealer marking up that transaction by thousands of dollars as I've heard happen to others doing lease buyouts during this time.

But the risk/reward for me wasn't worth selling at this time.

msufan

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Mar 13, 2013
Petrol just hit $2.50 a litre in my hometown in Australia.
Gobsmacked.
$2.50 x 3.785ish liters per gallon = $9.46+ per gallon for us Americans. Yikes!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

thechosen1

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
USA
Have a feeling a black swan event is going to come if this continues.
Everyone will call it a black swan, despite being totally predictable.

It's like watching a ship sink in slow motion, or a plane fall in slow motion.

Good news is, it's likely just another cycle. It will happen again and again. But the part that isn't a cycle is the continuous march upwards towards things getting more expensive while buying power lessens...

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Suggests that real inflation is more like 15-19%, which IMO, is more reflective of the reality on the ground. Every price increase I encounter is not 6%, it's 15-20%.

Real inflation isn't measured by Food, water, petrol/gas, fuel, or housing is it...
The criminals will remove them from the CPI calculation and include other junk to say:
''oh look inflation is only 5%!''

I am seeing at minimum about a 15% increase across the stuff that matters in Australia.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Irish inflation reached 9.6% in June - Eurostat

It's hotting up even more. Looks like we're in for a crazy winter in Europe. I saw a post about how all the wood burners are sold out in Germany already. People are preparing for shortages in energy especially gas. Putin will have maximum leverage come October time to cut Europe off.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YanC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Sep 18, 2017
France
Putin will have maximum leverage come October time to cut Europe off.
I can't believe how utterly stupid european bureaucrats are with their freaking sanctions seriously. Putin has never made more money with his oil than now, selling it to India and friends (and rightfully so). He could unplug Europe tomorrow if he wanted. No energy means EVERYTHING stops. Total madness.

On top of this, until now we were paying our energy with worthless euros the ECB was printing in its basement, now we have to somehow find dollars to buy it elsewhere, against which the euro lost 15% in the last year. Absolute geniuses.

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
This is my very uneducated opinion and I'd love if anyone else has more facts and figures to argue in favour or against this. Should the US and Europe be ending fossil fuel sanctions on Russia, Iran and Venezuela. Surely it would be more advantageous to flood the market with more supply. Even if those regimes generate a windfall from these fossil fuels they will still be falling behind overall in every other area of their economies. Fossil fuels are on the way out, within 5-10 years the utter reliance on these producer countries will be gone anyways.

jdm667

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
I can't believe how utterly stupid european bureaucrats are with their freaking sanctions seriously. Putin has never made more money with his oil than now, selling it to India and friends (and rightfully so). He could unplug Europe tomorrow if he wanted. No energy means EVERYTHING stops. Total madness.

On top of this, until now we were paying our energy with worthless euros the ECB was printing in its basement, now we have to somehow find dollars to buy it elsewhere, against which the euro lost 15% in the last year. Absolute geniuses.
Well, sometimes pointless virtue signalling costs money in the real world. But I'm sure European leaders have a plan to keep people warm this winter - can't wait to hear all about it. :thumbsdown:

thechosen1

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Aug 25, 2020
USA
This is my very uneducated opinion and I'd love if anyone else has more facts and figures to argue in favour or against this. Should the US and Europe be ending fossil fuel sanctions on Russia, Iran and Venezuela. Surely it would be more advantageous to flood the market with more supply. Even if those regimes generate a windfall from these fossil fuels they will still be falling behind overall in every other area of their economies. Fossil fuels are on the way out, within 5-10 years the utter reliance on these producer countries will be gone anyways.
Reagan did this in the 80's - actually, his head of the CIA got with the Saudis and convinced them to flood the oil market - destroying the Soviet Union. Pretty genius.

MitchC

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 8, 2014
I thought India had high price(1.40$ a litre) but damn thats almost twice.
New Zealand has been over $3 for months, it was $1.60 in Australia and $3 there for a while. I was laughing at all my mates in New Zealand sending them the prices here, now we’ve voted Australia’s joe Biden in and now it’s $2.20. I knew they were waiting till after the election. Not so funny anymore. Interest rates going up too.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
New Zealand has been over $3 for months, it was $1.60 in Australia and $3 there for a while. I was laughing at all my mates in New Zealand sending them the prices here, now we’ve voted Australia’s joe Biden in and now it’s $2.20. I knew they were waiting till after the election. Not so funny anymore. Interest rates going up too.

It ranges from $2.10 - $2.50 a litre around my area in Melbourne.

$3 EOY?

Aditya Gunjal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 24, 2021
Maharashtra, India
Yeah, they wait till their shit(election) gets done and then start their real shitshow. "Flags may be different but methods are the same". Our government is no different.
Our government wants to push EV as much as possible thats why this rapid inflation in price is occurring.
Besides do you really think heavy industrialisation and rapid growth of automobile industry can somehow empty the earths fossil fuel tank in just 100 or 200 years, cause i dont. They say fuel will end in just about 40 to 50 years from now if we use it at the rate we are using. And EV's are really not affordable to everyone (at least quality EVs).
Yeah and interest rates are also increasing on house loan and all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Must Read Books...

Explore books recommended by MJ DeMarco and other members of the Fastlane entrepreneurial community.
Fastlane Bookstore