The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Hustle House": What would you want living-wise as an entrepreneur?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'm planning to leave the U.S. next year and travel for most of the year. During that time, I wouldn't mind creating a new community and hearing your input on where you'd live, how you'd live and why. If anyone here has some interesting ideas or places, then I'd love to hear what you think and maybe make that a reality.

So here's the question...

If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like? Where would it be? Who would be there? What would the vibe be like? What would your day look like from the morning until evening?

Starting out, all of us wanted to escape the day-to-day grind and find a place where we could "get into the zone". For people on this forum, that was Scottsdale at a point. Now, there's communities from this forum in Puerto Rico, Bali, San Diego and maybe a few other places where entrepreneurs are "clustering" to work off of each other's energy.

Outside of this forum, we see this prominently in communities like Silicon Valley. "Hacker Houses", "Startup Houses", or whatever you want to call them. You have these same communities being recreated in other parts of the world. I saw a couple personally in Beijing and Shenzhen in tech. In the gaming space, there's something similar - "Gamer Houses". In sports, there's the university "sports team dorms", in the pro's rookies living together, etc.

In all of these communities, there's something special. However, not all of them are optimized for the most common businesses.

Business-wise, from that list, the best fit would likely be Silicon Valley. However, Silicon Valley has tremendous pitfalls... it's expensive.

When you're starting out, I believe there's certain things you don't want to worry about: cooking, cleaning, washing your clothes, etc. Your focus shouldn't include 2 hours per day of acquiring ingredients, preparing a meal, and cooking. It should be on hustling. You shouldn't be cleaning your house. You should be making cold calls.

Hence, why I think the "Gamer House" model is closer to the ideal model.

Something like Bali:

A villa with 3 other entrepreneurs. A cleaning lady. A chef. No worries but work and relax.

However, that lends to the question: do you want to be in Bali? Or some remote place in the mountains where there's nothing to do but work? Maybe something like this:

Not as nice, but good internet and the same setup: food, cleaning, life basically taken care of. Just sit and work.

Or maybe something warmer, but similar:

Something in Colombia. Middle of nowhere. Same timezone as the U.S. so you could call all day...

So in your opinion what would your ideal entrepreneur house look like?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
There’s a difference between traveling to be a producer who genuinely cares about the culture he travels to and a consumer who stays locked up in his pretty box and has stuff delivered to him, including whores. Have you seen the movie Wall-E? This is the 2019 version.

Ok, wow, what? Where did anyone mention hookers?

Do you want to be part of a frat house and have all of your physical needs “taken care of” by strangers while you stay inside an Epicurean little bubble away from the sights, sounds, and people of the city to which you traveled or be a part of a family, culture, city that you’re traveling to so you can...

I think you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn’t a “Fastlane frat house” concept.

Do you understand what the point of the entrepreneur houses are? It has nothing to do with travel.

The entire point of these houses is two main things: focused environment and entrepreneurial community.

The whole reason for picking Bali or Columbia is because it’s cheap. The reasons for getting a chef and maid isn’t for hedonism, it’s to save time. The reason to lock yourself into the house is to focus 100% on building a business with no distractions. The only people you surround yourself with are people doing the same thing, so that you can feed each other energy and have people to bounce ideas off of. This is no different than a mastermind group, but taken to a new level.

Why is this appealing? Have you ever sat down at home and tried to get what seems like a simple task accomplished for your business and realize it taken 4x as long because of simple distractions? Do you need to lock yourself in an office with nothing going on to work? That’s me. If I were single, I’d do this in a heart beat. This is also why I pay money to have coworking space so I can get out if my distraction ridden home and focus.

You’re seeing the worst possible scenario here. Are there houses that end up being frat party houses? Probably. Is this thread about that? No, not at all.

You need to get that chip off your shoulder.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Amazing idea!
For me, Bali or some Thai island (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan or Phuket) would be perfect- the most bang for your buck.
You could have amazingly cheap and delicious food, cleaning, laundry etc. for pennies. Or a private cook.
It's also perfect for single gentlemen, if you know what I mean :D
So a nice 3-4 bedroom villa with pool and seaview would be awesome.
I spent 16 months in SE Asia, so I have some experience.

Central America could be nice too. I was thinking about Bocas del Toro province lately. But have never been there so far.

I once joined the so called "Growth House". It was 6 of us - 3 guys from Poland, one from Czech Republic, one from Australia and two Germans.

It was one of the most productive months in my life, however, the schedule was a little bit too "German" and I felt like having a corpo job at times (let's say it could be a bit too strict and packed). However, something like this with more "chill" vibe would be perfect.

Every day we would:
Work (5 x 50min. pomodoros), eat out together, meditate, do Wim Hoff breathing, go out to clubs and meet girls (I hate clubs, but the guy who organized it was very much into it - but it was fun after all), go to meetups and hit the gym.

We also had the so called "hot seats" and accountability meetings.
Hot seats would come down to one of us sitting on chair in front of other guys, sharing his doubts, problems, struggles, and he would get honest feedback from the rest of us.

Sometimes we would invite someone to teach us something, e.g. about effective communication, dieting, business, mindset and other things.

@AgainstAllOdds What's your planned monthly budget anyway?

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I am probably going to vacate the UK next year too. I am actually seriously thinking of renting a villa in Bali. There are a lot of pluses to the island but, together with Chiang Mai, those plusses have made them the Nomad Mecca of the world. Both Columbia and Argentina have their appeal.

New Zealand also appeals to me but that might be because my family came close to moving there when I was in my teens.

I don't know if I would want one location. The thing is if its a temperate climate I would want to get away from the coldest, darkest months. Hot climates can also wear thin in the heat of summer. A tropical climate (20 to 30° year round) sounds much better but then you have a rainy season and or hurricanes. I am looking at St Lucia as an alternative to Bali as it is closer to family and has a lot going for it. Mountains, Forest, great scuba diving etc. So maybe permanent locations in St Lucia UK and then a few months going Nomad just for the hell of it, probably via motorcycle through Europe.

If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like? Where would it be? Who would be there? What would the vibe be like? What would your day look like from the morning until evening?

So lets say St Lucia. 3 or 4 bedroom villa 3 other like minded people who want to build a serious business but are not just going to stare at a screen from 9 till 9. (well they can if they want to but I will be done by 2:00) For me an early start and early finish.

There is no point in living in a paradise if you are going to be cooped up all day long. It is easy to end up spending all your time working towards a goal only to end up not living a life. Entrepreneurship will do that to you if you allow it to dominate every waking moment. It's not healthy. So, a balance of work and play is vital. Late afternoons evening exploring, diving, spending time on the beach, a meal and a few drinks in a bar. Nothing particularly high octane.

Maybe that life is just too laid back for many on here but I've been around a while. I've worked stupid hours every day for way too long and missed out on a lot as a result. I'm now older and hopefully wiser.

Live life now, don't postpone it to some future date because you are too busy. That future date often never arrives.

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So AirBNB and WeWork meet? Is that what you are thinking?

Yup. Just better and a much, much smaller scale.

You should check out Hacker Paradise, they run a program for remote workers where you can work in Lisbon, Marrakesh, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Santiago: Work remote and love travel? Do both with Hacker Paradise!

Thanks for linking this.

Here's the problem I have with these services:

I want the best food Monday to Friday without having to leave. I want a cleaning lady. I want an assistant. Maybe a personal trainer.

Here's more of what I'm thinking:

When you're in the house, you're not eating bullshit. You're in there and have all your meals:
1) Prepared for you;
2) Optimized for your physical goals;
3) Delicious so you don't have to leave the house

Basically complete control over the "health" part of your life without the time required to do it.

A chef makes you all the food, and you just eat it. Slowly start getting in better shape just by being in the house.

Next, I'm thinking of going as far as getting a personal trainer. In Thailand, something like a Muay Thai trainer with pad work would make sense:

Maybe setting up weights like @Charnell suggested. Or setting up close to a gym that can easily integrate into the lifestyle.

For me, the ideal place helps accomplish a few different goals:
  • Money (business)
  • Fitness
  • Friendship/Network
  • Social Life
The goal is that if you stay in the "house", that these goals get accomplished automatically through just being there. I think it'd be incredibly hard to figure out, but possible.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
It’s possible I’m seeing it all from a bad slant. It just sounded...selfish, hedonistic, spoiled and.. very, very “American.”
What's wrong with a little hedonism? Why go through all of the risks of entrepreneurship and embarking on this journey, day in and day out, if you can't enjoy the spoils of war from time to time?

Having been in San Juan for the past 6 months with @RayAndré & @UnrealCreative, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to break out of their comfort zone. Sure, there are people getting their faces erased a block in any direction around here almost daily, but at this point I'm callused to it all. The focus has been on growing in all areas of life since I bought my one way ticket across the Caribbean.

With that said, a few notes:
  • Going from living on my own for years to roommates again has been a small learning curve, but it has been positive from my standpoint.
  • I have been able to personally observe growth from everyone in the house on several fronts which further reinforces the idea.
  • Picking the right personalities is definitely an important consideration given the close quarters involvement.
  • We all seem to balance one another out which is helpful in a multitude of different situations.
  • The space isn't too confined to erode on our own personal space.
  • For my business situation I needed office space to house local employees so I'm in the process of working through that. I also am just a fan of being able to laser beam focus on my stuff. Coffee shops and shared workspaces don't jive with my goals.

As for living wise, what I looked for was the following:
  • Tax friendly.
  • Warm climate.
  • Secure living quarters.
  • Reliable internet and infrastructure
    • One note on PR, the electrical infrastructure here BLOWS but our our place has full backup generators as does my office space. Google Fi also has proven to be quite reliable to use as a hot spot when things get hairy.
  • Growth minded individuals.
    • I've found over the years this is one of the tougher things. Luckily with these guys that hasn't been an issue.
  • Nice scenery.
    • Here in San Juan we are ocean front and steps away from beach activities such as kiteboarding, volleyball, beach tennis and so on.
  • Social element.
    • When I first moved to Puerto Rico I was single and I have since met someone that is just amazing and compliments me quite well. Having also lived out in the boonies for a lot of my life, the last thing I wanted was isolation away from the populated areas. Good night life, good business networking, and more likeminded people are all considerations to take into account.
  • Cost of living.
    • Not so much of a concern on my end as much as the tax aspect, but PR has proven to be more expensive than anticipated due to a number of different factors, the Jones Act being one.
As a closing statement, if you're on the fence about it and have the opportunity to do so with likeminded individuals (and your business allows), F*cking do it.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hey @AgainstAllOdds, and everyone else interested:
I'm @RayAndré, one of the starters of the Puerto Rico House.

A couple things:
* First, know what you want in this experience, and why you want it / need it.
* Second, understand there's a difference between 1) the people and 2) the place.
Knowing the First will help you determine the Second.

@AgainstAllOdds you mentioned travel:
* This is so fun! If you're able to travel (international) and work at the same time, I did this for 2 years and HIGHLY recommend it. Mostly for the experience that most people will never get. And if you can build your biz at the same time, golden. I personally know people doing this. This comes back to the First thing, do you want 100% hustle, 100% travel, or somewhere in between? You'll have to decide for yourself and everyone will differ.
* This lifestyle is called being a Digital Nomad and its been around for years. There are organized communities of people who travel monthly to a different country. You'll get a mix of business owners to freelancers to employees. I traveled with WiFi Tribe – Find Your Tribe and Work from Anywhere and Work remote and love travel? Do both with Hacker Paradise!. Both were great. I recommend WiFi Tribe.
* If you'll be traveling, how long do you plan to stay in each place? Every 1 month? Every 3 months? This WILL affect your focus and ability to improve whatever it is you want to improve. (One of the big reasons why I "settled" in PR is because of this.)
* Its F*cking fantastic and you'll have amazing unique experiences with great people you may never have the chance for otherwise while you're YOUNG.

Regarding the place:
* This is all personal choice with many factors. What kind of vibe do you want to live in? City, beach, mountains, cold, hot, latin, european, etc, etc? What food do you like? What activities do you enjoy? Do they have those where you're thinking of going.
* The place you choose will have some impact on your focus. Places like PR/Bali/Medellin attract certain kinds of like-minded entrepreneurs.
* Don't forget to check for good internet. Also Google Fi can be a life saver.
* These links can help you narrow the search: Nomad List, 2017's Best Places to Work Remotely and Live - HighSpeedInternet.com
* Digital Nomad hubs are Bali, Medellin, Thailand, Lisbon, etc
* About gyms, you can look for a place with a nearby gym or get into calisthenics which requires no gym. You can get a great workout in your home throughout your day.

Regarding the people:
* Two options here: 1) meet like-minded people as you travel/when you move, 2) get Fastlane roommates.
* If you'll be traveling constantly, #1 can wear on you as your friends will change every time you or they move.
* If you're not traveling constantly, #1 is more possible in cities that already attract like minded entrepreneurs (see 2nd bullet above ^).
* If you're looking for people to support you and keep you going regularly, #2 is the way to go.

Regarding the "House":
* In PR: we have no official rules. We all came single, one now has a girlfriend, one is messy, one gets mad at the mess, we have a cleaning lady, no chef, workouts are done at home, gym nearby, or at the beach. Work is done at home or cafes, one is getting an office.
* Only "official" event is get dinner together once a week, and of course we chat daily about what we're doing.
* We spend our time both working and doing the things we enjoy. We're quite balanced when it comes to both personalities and lifestyle. Each of us balances our lifestyles differently.
* We're all happy :)
* @SteveO said to me once, "Whatever you're doing, make sure you're happy." Can't stress enough how important that is.

Overall the people you live with matter way more than location and amenities, and if done right it's an amazing environment to push you to succeed.
This I agree with 100%. Do a "trial run" and AirBnb together at the next Summit. That's what we did.

All in all, I've basically gotten exactly what I wanted with the move to PR and have become so much better in many ways. All three of us have. Could I/we be moving faster? Yes, but 1) enjoying life & island paradise is worth it to me, and 2) had I been hustling as fast as I could, I might not have found the thing I actually now enjoy spending my time building.

At the end of the day, do what feels right to you. It can be hard to leave and start traveling. It can be hard to find the right people to live with or place to move to.
But if its what you want, don't stop until you find it.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

BRAIN DUMP INCOMING.

Alright. Considering this has been a dream for a long time (and we FINALLY had the opportunity to do this over the last 6 months). I'll answer the question at hand and break down what we did right and what I might've done differently.

If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like?
I believe it all begins with the right intent, and making sure everyone shares that vision.

From the start, a "Hustle House" has meant one thing to me:
A place for a total transformation, taking your entire life to the next level.

All three of us were sick of our current situation and needed a drastic change.
Combine that with our shared Fastlane Mindset, coming off the B&P high...
For us it was a perfect storm, which provided us sufficient motivation to make it work.

I can say without a doubt we've accomplished that original vision of totally turning our lives around, and we're only halfway through. Flying a thousand miles away from home and starting a Hustle House has been nothing short of life-changing.

Where would it be? (I'll break this up into "Location" and "House")

* Outside the USA: Personal preference. There isn't anywhere in the USA in terms of relative cost to value where I'd like to live.

* Weather: Warm, Sunny year-round. Puerto Rico has an incredible climate. Warm in the 60-80 degrees range all year round, including winter.

* Infrastructure/Natural Disasters: Internet, Water, etc. has to be stable (or backups are a must). Also not being subject to natural disasters is preferable. Puerto Rico is notorious for utilities to go out during hurricanes, as it is still fragile from Maria.

* Safety: I have to feel secure. Meaning no robberies and/or close to violent crimes. Where we live in PR, I can't say that's the case.

* Entrepreneurial Community: THIS is where Puerto Rico really shines. There are thousands of American Expats that come here for wealth preservation. It's not out of the ordinary to walk down the street in San Juan and meet a multi-millionaire and relatively young, successful people.

* Lower Cost of Living: Have the ability to start frugal with the ability to "scale up" your living standards as you wish. This is where I would've done things a bit differently. Although I have a business that pays my expenses and is growing, I took a risk paying a little more than I was comfortable with. Finances sometimes can be a motivating factor for me, other times it's led to more stress than it's worth. A larger HH with different "tiers" of living standards might help, equipped with Shared, Private, and Master bedrooms for different people's preferences. Then when people decide to leave, others can "move up" to occupy the previous tenant's spot if they wish.

* English-Speaking: Just easier to adjust when you're not an outsider.

* A few hours ahead of the USA. I work with clients and HATE being bombarded with emails first thing in the morning. Having the mental headspace to work without interruption in the morning while my USA clients are still sleeping is the dream.

House:
* By the Ocean & Has Pool: Personal Preference. We live oceanfront with a view and a beach.
Being able to look out the window and see the carribbean, combined with daily beach swims/runs has done wonders for my productivity and quality of life.

* Close to action & walkable: Walkable or short bike ride to necessities and coffee. Nightlife/ Daytime activities need to be nearby to decompress from the working days. I've lived in the woods...is it fun? Sure. Would I do it again? No. Having a life and being close to everything is so much better. That said, I LOVED where @JasonR stayed in Seminyak. Definitely wouldn't mind a spot slightly further away from the action, but has a view and you can motorbike to the beach in 5 minutes.

* Larger, Open space: Place where we can throw in standing desks, whiteboards, etc.

* Private Call Booths: Not easy to make / take phone calls in the living room around everyone.
Or just rooms to break off and focus deeply.

* Cleaning & Chefs. We have a cleaning lady, no chef. Not needing to worry about cooking and/or dishes every week would save a lot of time.

* Guest Rooms. I really liked @AgainstAllOdds's idea of having entrepreneurial guests come visit.

* Power Rack & Weights. I've never had a home gym, and having this around would be killer.

Who would be there?
@RayAndré @Tom.V and I cannot emphasize this enough...

The people are an extremely important factor. We fortunately compliment each other very well. My criteria for people who'd be a "good fit" is...

-We're not total noobs. Having a business that at least pays your expenses is preferable.
-We all work hard when we need to work hard.
-We all know how to play hard when we're done working.
(You can't be boring and need to know how to loosen up).
-We all mutually respect each other and our work.
(i.e. Respect someone's choice to work 16-hour days on a weekend, if they want).
-We all have something to bring to the table, even if it doesn't necessarily mean business acumen.

These are all pretty much a given, but the last point is very important from being "just roomates" to being a real Hustle House. Each of us has some asset that has contributed to the betterment of the whole house.

Just as an example, Andre can:
-Speak and Translate Spanish.
-Dance Salsa really well.

Having someone fluent has saved our asses more times than we an count, as well as having Salsa in our social toolbelt. He doesn't have a fastlane business (yet!), but has nevertheless learned a lot from Tom and I simply from our constant proximity.

Another Example. Tom:
-Is totally relentless in his ability to push for what he wants, business or otherwise.
-Is very tuned-in socially, and knows how to have a good time.

I haven't had a life from 2014ish until now. Just blinders-on, hard work for years. So having someone who knows to have fun was extremely valuable in allowing Andre and I to break out of our shells and live more. We didn't know how badly we needed to "get a life" until meeting Tom lol.

The dude is also absolutely relentless in going after what he wants. He went from having too many employees, to no employees, to one employee, to completely automating 80% of his business. His No-BS approach to business has definitely rubbed off.

As for me...
I'd consider myself a good medium between Andre and Tom. Comparatively speaking, I have a smaller business and decent social skills/humor. Where I probably contribute the most is being a deeply curious and strategic thinker. If you bring a problem to me, I'm not afraid to ask hard questions and dissect your situation until you come to your own solution.

To be honest, I don't think we could've engineered it that way prior to meeting. We just happened to have attributes that compliment each other well. But if you knew what you could contribute prior to starting a house, it would be highly advantageous.

What would the vibe be like?
We've done pretty well without much structure regarding the group. As Andre said we only get dinner once per week. Our "mastermind" is an ebb and flow. Sometimes when we're hyper-focused on doing our own thing we don't share what we're busy with for a period of time. But we always find a way to re-convene.

We're also not focused on improving our businesses 100% of the time either, so we're not really treating this as a 24/7 work-mode accelerator. We'll all inevitably plateau in our business. But we all have the freedom to back off for a while, do something else, and come back to the business when more fresh and inspired.

Personally I go HARD at the beginning of every month on business, not taking weekends off, only to taper off in the middle when I need to adjust and mentally shift my focus to something else. This is when I'll write music, go out more, and generally try my best to enjoy my time here. Then it's a slow rush to complete my monthly goals before kicking off the next one.

What would your day look like from the morning until evening?
This is what things look like now, and it's worked quite well...
-Wake early, preferably before the sun. Swim, Meditate, Write Goals, Tony Robbins Priming Routine.
-I track my mood 2x day. Morning/Evening. If I'm feeling like shit, I'll take the morning off. This is rare.
-I ask, "What project can I get most excited about today?"
-Then ask "What do I need to do, to get where I want to go, as fast as possible?"
-Usually have 3-5 major projects I can work on that day.
-Start working, don't cap flow state.
-Afternoon. Workout, Eat, Nap, mentally reset into my second half of the day.
-Keep working on projects. Usually do sales calls in the afternoon, or move to coffee shop.
-Evening, say after 6 I'll stop working. Eat, and either go out or keep working if I'm excited about the project I'm working on.

All in all, I believe that so long as you have a business and are self motivated...a Hustle House is a great way to take what you've already built and make a quantum leap in the quality of your life.

...Alright, end of brain dump. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
@VentureVoyager can you tell me more about this Growth House? How did you find this place and what were the requirements to join? Doing a few months in such a setting seems like a better plan than to buy something IMO.

In the UK you get arrested if you are found to have a growth house. ;)

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like?
As much floor space as possible. The more room the better. I've always thought about taking over a mechanic's garage and converting it to a complete workspace. Free weights and power racks to hit the weights without leaving.

I'm pretty much a recluse when the sun's up. Vampire status. I would want everything available without having to leave.

ee951d2a3c826572c2cdbcabaefd62ec.jpg

Where would it be?
A truly ideal location would be somewhere that stays about 60 degrees year-round but also has social options for evenings. I don't give a damn about the beach or hiking or the sun. I want to be able to throw on some jeans and a sweater and go grab an old fashioned and a cigar out on a patio.

Who would be there?
2-3 other single guys in their late 20s/early 30s that are working on their own business. One of them in a similar but not the exact same space and the others doing something completely different. That way, we can brainstorm together if need be and come at their issue from a different perspective.
portrait_mid_x2.jpeg

What would the vibe be like?
A live accountability group. Meet up on Sunday, figure out what we want to accomplish that week, then keep each other on track to reach that goal. Push each other to get past the goal depending on the metric. Relaxed, some real light music playing during the day that doesn't interfere with conversation and can be drowned out by earbuds.

cigar-bars-habano.jpg

What would your day look like from the morning until evening?
Wake up about 8 am, crack a cold one start drinking coffee. Skip breakfast. Hop on the computer and get to work for 2-3 hours. The worst tasks first.

11 am, eat a keto meal with macros calculated by someone with a degree. Hit the home gym workout. Shower, shit, shave. Talk some shit with the other guys in the house.

2 pm, hop back on the computer or phone and get back to work for 3-4 hours.

6 pm, plan the next day out for my morning and afternoon tasks. Review with everyone how the day went, problems they have, more banter. Figure the evening out.

7 rink, shred some more weights or video games, get entertained somewhere else, whatever.

12 am, lights out.

I'm kind of doing something like this now, creating my space by design and with intent. Just moved into my own place after living with my best friend for a year. Decided I didn't want to have the opportunity to veg out on the couch, so I don't have one. Instead, I built a daybed. Either I'm working at my computer, sitting down, or laying down relaxing.

Why stand when you can sit and why sit when you can lay?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
There's a lot of great posts in here, so let me toss out some of the ideas I have.

I'm thinking of getting a bigger house, and dedicating one, two, or three of the rooms to visitors. I saw this work in Silicon Valley and it was amazing.

Basically you create a house with great people, and then let other like-minded people fly in and visit. What ends up happening is that slowly you build a network of like minded people without ever leaving. You make friends with basically 100+ people over the course of a year, and end the year with an international network of like minded hustlers without ever going anywhere. Then, their network grows on top of your network.

Another crazy idea I have:

Somehow integrating the "Hustle House" with a "Model House". Basically the "sorority" to the "fraternity". A place like Bali attracts top models in Asia either for vacation or work. Top models are in tune with the richest guys (most successful businesspeople), the best nightlife, and have access to an entire network that us "nerds" don't. If you can create a 6-person house, have 3 guys full-time in three rooms, one room for regular visitors, and then two rooms with double beds, and models shuffling through, then you could create an epicenter that people would want to be a part of. You'd attract all the top hustlers in the region. If your house has enough value, then you can even charge the modeling agencies to post up girls there. Offer a chef, personal trainer, etc.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It wasn’t just the model/pay chicks comment that got to me though.

here’s a difference between traveling to be a producer who genuinely cares about the culture he travels to and a consumer who stays locked up in his pretty box and has stuff delivered to him, including whores.

At no point anywhere in this thread is there a mention of paying women or acquiring what you referred to as "whores". There's a quick mention by me titled "crazy idea" of integrating with a model house since it'd be an interesting indirect way to tap into other networks of successful entrepreneurs.

Find me the mention of paying women or "whores" (as you call them), and I'll venmo you $100. Otherwise, stop slandering and derailing what has been a productive thread.

Plus I think I was pissy cuz I’d want to hang out with the guys and in this scenario I don’t think I’d be let in.. then I started thinking how I could create a entrepreneur house thing for my single girl friends and I was annoyed because I don’t have enough chick entrepreneur friends.

This seems closer to what the real problem is. Maybe instead of libel, you could post what your ideal living situation would look like?

It just sounded...selfish, hedonistic, spoiled and.. very, very “American.”

And call me what you want. If I'm considered selfish, hedonistic, spoiled, and "American" (never considered that an insult) because I want a living situation where the cleaning, cooking, and laundry is taken care of so that I can put full focus into my work, then so be it.

As for the travel aspect, travel isn't the primary goal. The primary goal is as @UnrealCreative put it: Creating "a place for a total transformation, taking your entire life to the next level."

If you're living in a different country, then obviously you'll integrate into the society and culture, travel a bit, experience the local sights and cuisine, make some local friends, and develop an understanding for the people. That does not come at the cost of creating a strong "home base" that's designed for success. No one's closing themselves off to the outside world. They're just creating a better home that allows them to accomplish what they want in this world.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
Plus I think I was pissy cuz I’d want to hang out with the guys and in this scenario I don’t think I’d be let in..

Can I go off on a too-much-beer-rant? And it's totally disconjointed, sorry. (@JAJT ... any chance of smuggling some KETO craft beers across the border next year?).

The guy-to-gal ratio is no joke. Usually, at the Summit, the bathroom lines for the women ROCK! It’s @Red (my partner in crime), @Jill (love you, tentmate!), me, and 2-3 rotating women. Even though everyone's totally cool, and the guys are like family now, I’ll know I’ll never be invited to the boys’ trips to Medellin.

Dude, I swear I'm good with the Hookers and Blow! Unfortunately, they don't believe me. Married, old, hetero woman != street cred. Alas.

I totally want to start an entrepreneurial commune. But it's not going to happen overseas, as long as the furbaby is alive. And I hope he lives a long, healthy life.

My favorite week every year is the one around the Fastlane Summit, because I get to hang out with the amazing people from this forum. We rent an AirBnB for a week, and pack it with 24-7 entrepreneurial MAGIC.

Obviously, it gets harder once everyone starts having kids and commitments. But if you have the chance to make it out to a Summit.... do it

And then @MJ DeMarco asks me about his hair. It looks awesome, MJ. And thank you for the women's forum.

My favorite week of the year is followed closely by the time I get to spend with @biophase and the people he invites to his summer getaway. I'm awaiting for your 90-day invoice. Or cringing for fear of your hidden rant...? And realizing how much time I spend grocery shopping, cooking, and cleaning. But you have to admit that prime rib is bombbbbbbbb! Cauliflower mash, too. Keto, yeah yeah!

But really, all I wanted to add to this thread is...

Entrepreneurial house.... DO IT! While you're young and don't have other responsibilities.

Spending time with like-minded people... and, more importantly, the right MIX of personalities, is a game-changer. Which is why I'm so cautious of the people I let in to the house... even for just a week. I can't even image a whole freakin' year!

I've had such amazing insights due to the time I've spent with people on this forum. So thankful for MJ and for the friends I've made here online, that have carried over into "real life." Deep gratitude and thank you to all. As cool as it is to have "virtual" friends, there is NO substitution for cultivating those connections in real life.

Last edited:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I live in the San Diego entrepreneur house and here's some rules from the trenches:
  • No girlfriends allowed - guaranteed to derail the entrepreneurial ventures of person who gets one, and their failure might start affecting others in the house.
  • Can bring girls but no overnight stays - kick them out after smashing.
  • No weed smokers - the anxiety/paranoia of these people is not worth dealing with.
  • No unkempt/dirty people - sounds trivial but can get really annoying since you might end up sharing kitchen/bathroom with someone like that.
  • Good sized garage to store stuff in.
  • Neighboors/landlord who can deal with playing loud music/occasional debauchery.
  • Chef cleaning/person - we don't have this yet and struggle mightily with wasting time on household crap.
  • Gym nearby.
Overall the people you live with matter way more than location and amenities, and if done right it's an amazing environment to push you to succeed.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What's wrong with a little hedonism? Why go through all of the risks of entrepreneurship and embarking on this journey, day in and day out, if you can't enjoy the spoils of war from time to time?

Having been in San Juan for the past 6 months with @RayAndré & @UnrealCreative, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to break out of their comfort zone. Sure, there are people getting their faces erased a block in any direction around here almost daily, but at this point I'm callused to it all. The focus has been on growing in all areas of life since I bought my one way ticket across the Caribbean.

With that said, a few notes:
  • Going from living on my own for years to roommates again has been a small learning curve, but it has been positive from my standpoint.
  • I have been able to personally observe growth from everyone in the house on several fronts which further reinforces the idea.
  • Picking the right personalities is definitely an important consideration given the close quarters involvement.
  • We all seem to balance one another out which is helpful in a multitude of different situations.
  • The space isn't too confined to erode on our own personal space.
  • For my business situation I needed office space to house local employees so I'm in the process of working through that. I also am just a fan of being able to laser beam focus on my stuff. Coffee shops and shared workspaces don't jive with my goals.

As for living wise, what I looked for was the following:
  • Tax friendly.
  • Warm climate.
  • Secure living quarters.
  • Reliable internet and infrastructure
    • One note on PR, the electrical infrastructure here BLOWS but our our place has full backup generators as does my office space. Google Fi also has proven to be quite reliable to use as a hot spot when things get hairy.
  • Growth minded individuals.
    • I've found over the years this is one of the tougher things. Luckily with these guys that hasn't been an issue.
  • Nice scenery.
    • Here in San Juan we are ocean front and steps away from beach activities such as kiteboarding, volleyball, beach tennis and so on.
  • Social element.
    • When I first moved to Puerto Rico I was single and I have since met someone that is just amazing and compliments me quite well. Having also lived out in the boonies for a lot of my life, the last thing I wanted was isolation away from the populated areas. Good night life, good business networking, and more likeminded people are all considerations to take into account.
  • Cost of living.
    • Not so much of a concern on my end as much as the tax aspect, but PR has proven to be more expensive than anticipated due to a number of different factors, the Jones Act being one.
As a closing statement, if you're on the fence about it and have the opportunity to do so with likeminded individuals (and your business allows), F*cking do it.

A little sounds completely fine. I’m reading a book about how our environments affect our soul so I’m seeings things in a different ways.

Plus I think I was pissy cuz I’d want to hang out with the guys and in this scenario I don’t think I’d be let in.. then I started thinking how I could create a entrepreneur house thing for my single girl friends and I was annoyed because I don’t have enough chick entrepreneur friends.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Tijuana's getting added to the list.

4 bedroom/5 bathroom for a fraction of SD. Includes a pool, awesome patio, home theater.

Live in Tijuana. Travel to San Diego and do business in Southern California as needed. @Kingmaker convinced me that it's worth looking at. Will make sure it's safe when I visit in December and explore further from there.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
This was the knee-jerk reaction. MX/USA border? Hmm...
Seems to be about the same crime we're used to though.
View attachment 27348

P.s. that place looks stunning. What does it go for?

$2,000 a month for 4 bedrooms.

It's ridiculously cheap. In terms of getting the best lifestyle, here's my thesis based on experience:
  • You'll get the most value for your money outside of the U.S.
  • That value starts with the tax benefit which will likely subsidize all of your costs.
  • If you split a house with 3-4 people, then you'll cut your costs in half on housing while allowing you to get amenities like a pool, garage, firepit, etc.
  • Splitting also allows you to hire a maid, chef, etc. at a negligible cost, furthering your quality of life.
  • Being in a "poorer" country doesn't necessarily mean you'll be surrounded by uneducated/poor people, in most scenarios you'll have access to richer and more educated people than back home.
To go off of point #5: In Mexico, only 0.5% of the population makes more than $16 an hour (Only 269,000 Mexicans earn more than US $16 per hour, or 308 pesos). By switching your locale from the United States to somewhere in Mexico, you suddenly skyrocket your position to somewhere in the 1%. That allows you to live in the same area, attended the same gym, schools, bars, cafes, etc. as the ultra wealthy in those countries (the millionaires/billionaires are at most of the same establishments as "the well off").

From my experience, your network doesn't diminish but vastly improves as a result of moving.

Last edited:

Phikey

Fortune favours the bold.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Nov 7, 2017
Sydney Australia
I've done this with a bunch of good friends in Colombia. All pitched in for a wicked penthouse and had some great parties. Getting a chef, cleaner, all that stuff. The things we learned from each other during mastermind sessions was insane. You get brutally honest with your problems and you have friends there genuinely interested in helping you succeed. You're living and breathing with these guys and you form some pretty strong bonds. It's also a special thing to grow in your business at the same time.

Plus all the awesome parties and the wild shit we got up to.
I'm in for something. Currently digital-nomading and currently in Brazil in Monk Mode. I'm getting some deep work done by going solo until January but definitely keen to do this again.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I hope you’re right man but not every post was coming from your upstanding POV. I don’t think I have a chip.. it’s possible though.

You inferred a LOT of things from these posts. A chip? Maybe not, but limiting beliefs? Sure.

The guys in the PR house? I know @UnrealCreative pretty well, and I guarantee they’re not a “hookers and blow” frat house. They’re working on very real businesses.

softwareRules

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 25, 2019
Canada
You should check out Hacker Paradise, they run a program for remote workers where you can work in Lisbon, Marrakesh, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Santiago: Work remote and love travel? Do both with Hacker Paradise!

Not sure if direct links are okay but they might be a good model for what you're thinking since they've done this a few times so you can rely on their pricing as a broad guide to their unit economics and margins.

Their 2-week pricing is $1550 for tier 1 locations, tier 3 location is $1750 USD. Not sure if that includes flights or food or anything else but for 2 weeks, it isn't too bad.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Sad. Flawed. Immoral. Disappointing. Laughable. Pathetic. Typical.

So many emotions, so little time to type.

Not really seeing how those adjectives apply to this thread. Except maybe typical... people here have done it before.

I was thinking more like fun, effective, inspiring, focused, hustle, grind, profit.

Sign me up @AgainstAllOdds. I can bring my kids right???? :hilarious:

I wish I would've done something like this in the past and roomed with some hustlers. Would've shortcutted 5 years off my learning curve.

Been trying to convince my wife to take a trip to asia though... would love to experience the Bali villa life for myself.

Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What is bad about the idea? WeWork and AirBNB are both great companies, why is this any different? The WeWork founder is worth over $4B.

Traveling is wonderful. Working all over the world seems absolutely thrilling and adventurous and delightful to me. That’s what I expected when I opened the thread. A dear, dear friend of mine lives in Chiangmai and I’d love to visit him someday. I think both those companies are worth a lot because they’re doing a great service.

There’s a difference between traveling to be a producer who genuinely cares about the culture he travels to and a consumer who stays locked up in his pretty box and has stuff delivered to him, including whores. Have you seen the movie Wall-E? This is the 2019 version.

Not really seeing how those adjectives apply to this thread. Except maybe typical... people here have done it before.

I was thinking more like fun, effective, inspiring, focused, hustle, grind, profit.

Sign me up @AgainstAllOdds. I can bring my kids right???? :hilarious:

I wish I would've done something like this in the past and roomed with some hustlers. Would've shortcutted 5 years off my learning curve.

Been trying to convince my wife to take a trip to asia though... would love to experience the Bali villa life for myself.

Which is it exactly? Do you want to be part of a frat house and have all of your physical needs “taken care of” by strangers while you stay inside an Epicurean little bubble away from the sights, sounds, and people of the city to which you traveled or be a part of a family, culture, city that you’re traveling to so you can... Ohhh I don’t know.. come back to the States with a million dollar idea and immediately put it to work?

You couldn’t bring your kids to this gloriously shiny “perfect” little bubble. They wouldn’t be allowed in. But of course you know that.

Real work elevates a man, it doesn’t denigrate him; it doesn’t separate him from all of society and give in to all his carnal pleasures either.

This thread starts out as this really cool enlightened idea. Then it’s not. Boo.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
You inferred a LOT of things from these posts. A chip? Maybe not, but limiting beliefs? Sure.

The guys in the PR house? I know @UnrealCreative pretty well, and I guarantee they’re not a “hookers and blow” frat house. They’re working on very real businesses.

Cool. It wasn’t just the model/pay chicks comment that got to me though. It seems like the whole idea just transports the cubicle to a distant land. The main complaint I hear from ppl now is that they’re stuck inside all day at their computers.. but maybe the real complaint is that they aren’t using their time wisely because bosses keep setting pointless meetings and disrupting their work flow?

It’s possible I’m seeing it all from a bad slant. It just sounded...selfish, hedonistic, spoiled and.. very, very “American.”

Maybe I’m bitter because I can’t see how to make this happen for my friends or peers in my industry.. that could be it. Alright, I’ll be quiet and think on it some more. It’s very possible I’m bumping up against a limiting belief.... I do that occasionally. Lol.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
* Safety: I have to feel secure. Meaning no robberies and/or close to violent crimes. Where we live in PR, I can't say that's the case.

This is very interesting to me. It seems that all of you guys are aware of the danger, it bothers you, yet you live there despite a very real threat to your life.

Perhaps I'm a big coward, but I find it really interesting that you could have gone anywhere and yet you decided to live in a place that doesn't satisfy one of the most basic human needs. I understand that for you probably the other factors make up for it, but still, it's very difficult for me to come to grips with it.

I wouldn't even travel for a few days to a high-risk place, let alone live there. Lifestyle-wise, there's nothing more important to me than personal safety because who cares if there's great climate, ocean, low living costs, etc. if there's a real risk that someone might rob me or kill me.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
View: https://www.facebook.com/VillaParadiseBeach/videos/2436977306581831/

Looking at this property. It's listed for rent. I guess the hotel that used to be there couldn't make a profit.

5 bedrooms. 5 bathrooms. Comes with 5 staff including a chef. Everything that I'd want in a property.

A couple of my friends are saying it's "too far" from the nightlife... it's 20-30 minutes away. It's "middle of nowhere", but I'm thinking it'd be perfect to get in the zone, and close enough for the weekends.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds how much is that awesome villa a month/year?

$30,000 for the year. $500 a month each.

I have to get more info and find out if the staff is included in that price, and what the costs would be for high quality food (steak, crab, etc) per month. Utilities probably aren't included either.

Location wise, I'm not sure if it's good if your goal is to party. It's ideal if you want to just work on a single goal (getting in shape, working on your business, writing a book, studying for GMAT, etc).

With that said, there's other attractive houses in Seminyak, Canngu, etc. at slight markups. I have a spreadsheet of houses that my assistant is working on if you want to take a look.

Personally, I'm in if I can get the right group.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Anyone legitimately interested in doing this together?

I'll be looking into forming a Hustle House in Puerto Rico next year, likely early 2021 with a 'feeler' being sent out about 6 months prior for people interested. Many people have expressed interest in forming one after our stint, and it would be a blast having everyone down here.

Let me know :)

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I’m trying to get a fastlane house together on lake Tapps in Washington state if anyone Is interested.

I like living on a lake currently. It’s been one hell of a summer.

I like America right now. I like driving my car. I’ll have this winter off so I’ll be flying around and having some fun in Bali/India/Thailand but during the warmer months I really enjoy being in Washington.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
When you're starting out, I believe there's certain things you don't want to worry about: cooking, cleaning, washing your clothes, etc. Your focus shouldn't include 2 hours per day of acquiring ingredients, preparing a meal, and cooking. It should be on hustling. You shouldn't be cleaning your house. You should be making cold calls.
A villa with 3 other entrepreneurs. A cleaning lady. A chef. No worries but work and relax.

there's nothing to do but work

Exactly these things. Especially the last one. If people were able to focus on their business in their current situation, they'd be buying their own house instead.

Other practical bits:
Upgrade the electrics, especially if outside the US. Blowing fuses/breakers has been a problem for me, even with just one large desktop computer, let alone a house full of them.

Upgrade the internet, ideally with multiple sources bridged in case of outage

Common work area plus work areas in each bedroom. Sometimes you need isolation to be able to think/work.

Visa friendly: people who aren't familiar with international travel will probably need some help with the process, and it should ideally be somewhere that you can easily obtain a 1-year visa. That limits the options significantly, but you might be able to get around it by setting up the house as a business and employing or partnering with the tenants in some way.

Remote office support: most people aren't familiar with the challenges of working internationally. You could fix a lot of their issues by providing some support like servers or vpns that they could connect through to get a US ip, mail scanning/forwarding to a US address, US phone forwarding, etc. Everyone could do this themselves of course, but at least some guides and support in doing so would help and be a nice selling point.

"OMG how could you live in a different country without speaking the language" support: This is the most common response I get when I mention living outside the country. You can't fix everything, but some small things could go a long way, like airport pickup, tour of the neighborhood essentials, language cheat-sheet cards, etc.

Project manager: you mention a chef and cleaner, but what about someone that actually tries to support the reason that people are actually there? Maybe they run a daily scrum and/or weekly progress meetings? What people need most of all is structure and accountability. Add in some progress requirements to the stay and boot people that aren't really trying so they don't become a drag on everyone else.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.