The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Humble Hustle & Scaling My Agency - Progress Thread

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
G'day All,

Quick update:
Tried to fix a meeting with a catering service lady, but she was busy so missed that yesterday.

Instead, I met with 500k likes fb page lady. What a meeting... She scheduled the meet in one of the top Business magazine event she was attending in a 5-star hotel! I don't know how others will think, but for me, a guy who lives in slums, it's something grand! The lady has some crazy connections in women empowerment & business communities across India. She had been Asia's marketing head of a company I don't know.

Never imagined would be able to make connections with such high level people. Really...

They say, you need connections to succeed. Hell, if we are here on this forum, we can learn whatever is needed to get that CONNECTION!
I am thrilled. The coincidence was, one of the Bollywood Top actress was the Guest of Honor. My 'Luck'.

he he.. Sorry I wasted your time... Back to business...

As she is not earning anything as of now from her page, we fixed our deal for 10k/month to do SMM for her. On top of that, I really felt her sincerity in the social cause and offered her to design her website for free.

Lets see where this hustle will take me.

Thanks for reading this.

Edit: I think this deal will start from next month, april.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
G'day all,

Quick update:
Got one Web design project this week. The client was working for civil engineering company but fed of the job model. He started his own structural designing and research business.

Glad to know people who have a mindset of entrepreneur's. He has analysed a problem in his Industry and started giving solutions for that.
Now he want to grow and do more professionally, hence approached me.

I will give my best to help him and not let him go back to job. He is of similar age, we could become friends in future.

Last edited:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Another update is, the lady of save the girl child Foundation approached me last saturday for live fb interview with her friend who runs another women business group. She wanted to spread awareness in her group on how hackers can hack and how to protect ourselves online.
I have some cyber security experience so i met her and we did a live session on fb. Around 2k people watched and asked various questions to me which i gave responce to.
The session was very good but shocking thing is so many people doing business don't know how to protect and be safe online.

At the start of the session, me and my business was introduced. I am hoping to get Web design and digital marketing business from there.

It was very good experience as i never did public speaking. I learned a lot and experienced much. Was little nervous initially but gain track as we continued.

I swear, if i haven't changed my mindset with the help of forum people and specially, Sir @MustImprove gold thread, I would never have able to do it.
Thank you everyone.

Irony is, I am the only guy in that women business group :D
They has asked to do some kind of workshop where i teach them.
Hope to get more business from there.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Sir @ZCP, right here, this thread. Waiting for some punch/kick, some motivation, guidance. The most I want is someone tell me all about what am doing wrong, point out the mistakes in me and tell me the way to improve, what i should learn, what i am missing...

I believe myself to be an Unpolish, humble person who, with roughness can achieve something.

@ZCP sir, i wrote this post just so that you can peek in my true mind and shower your guidance.

Thanks.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
@BlackMagician Do you have a routine - a pattern of specific scheduled things like networking, calling customers, etc - that you repeat each week? Is it building your business toward what you want to build?

Routines are level 2 magic :wideyed: ... Program your #1 human (you) and make him do your bidding...

After that, you're just testing your program against the results you think it should get you.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
you don't need someone to kick your a$$
you need a stronger why

what is your 'why'?

raise your rates

start building a business and a system where YOU sell and close the deal and your team does the work and handles the admin

land a bunch of business and create the 'system'

then scale

get to it!

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
G'day All,

I was active on forum but haven't updated this thread.
A month went by with lots of emotions. Job gave a dangerous kick to me. On 21th March, the company I am employed off, got a big project which we needed to do. I and some other colleagues were sent to another location to execute this project. Timing was also messed up. I leave home at 6:30am and reach back at 7pm.
Due to long travel i was not able to work much on my hustle.
Another 'why' to push myself and become unscripted and fastlaner.

I was also diagnosed having Piles in that period, which took a great toll on my health.

Anyhow, i still pushed myself to at-least not to stop. Here are the things i did in this 1 month period:

Electrical Panel Manufacturer Website:
Got paid for Electrical Panel's website which i got in march, completed and handed over to the client. They loved it. Will contact them in 1-2 months for their feedback on the results they are getting.

Civil Structural Engineering Website:
This project went on hold because of my health issue, but client was also busy and we agreed to shift the project launch in May. This is such a good client, but really should have completed the project on time. I would like to apologize to him anonymously.
What will you have done in this case? what is the correct way to handle and such type of situation arises?

-------------------------------
Apart from those two projects, I did a Social Media Marketing Workshop for the member of Business group i am the Admin of. Earned some bucks there and got some good prospects.

One of the attendee of the workshop contacted me after the workshop and asked for Social Media Marketing service. After some back & forth on call, he is not ready for taking my service. He is a doctor by the way and have Dentist related Seats products. We have scheduled a meeting this Saturday. I will try my best to close this deal as this will be my first Month to month service.

What do you suggest i should do as a preparation?
Will update you guys on the meeting.

Abaya Fashion Designer Bootique:
This is one prospect which wanted my social media service for her Abaya's they made. We met last sunday. She is just starting & don't have any sales. I analysed her business and figured that i may not be able to help her right now.
She just wants to start getting sales.
I have told her that i may not be able to help her gain sales at this time because she don't have any offline/online presence and have very competitive market.

Gave her some tips to gain some traction offline and suggested her to do some exhibition type things.
I just feel that i may not able to bring sales for a startup and can't take their money. What do you guys think i should have done?
Is it that i should just take the job and figure out later or i have done correct?

What can i do to bring sales for those people who are just starting?

_________

Thank's for reading my progress which is very slow and staying accountable.

Last edited:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Thank you Sir @ZCP for the wisdom and guidance.

The day you gave your advice, I write it down in my notebook. :)
bHLz9Wt

you need a stronger why
I thought i am just being lazy bum.
what is your 'why'?
Freedom. Freedom of choice. Freedom of thoughts.
below i have mentioned my 'WHY', is it strong enough, Sir?

I 'was' always a Dreamer. Being a kid, i vision many things.
Creating a Remote controlled Skates.
Building something through which we can walk on Air.
Seeing a similar age kids who not able to have foods, i thought of growing up and earning loads of money to help them.

I even built things as a kid.
Created poison for rat using roadside plants.
Created low cost Bow & Arrow with aim function.
Flew a small kid bus with motors.

Visioned to have a library of mine. Every day, me, sitting on a rocking chair under a sunset and reading books to learn and explore the world of history, science, philosophy, mystery, universe, magic, religion, anything else. To understand what am i, why am i born, why is this world, what's the purpose, why pain, why happiness.

I visioned to be an inventor. To be known as someone who made a good impact in this world.

Then around 2009 i learned about INTERNET. I was 16 old. It was MAGIC for me. A real one. I explored. I become fascinated. My craving became big. My vision became bigger.
My dreams got possibilities. I started learning.
I learned about Google.
I thought of creating something to compete with google.(don't laugh)

Then i entered College. Computer Science. To make my dream reality. But...
Something happened.
Something started creeping inside me. SCRIPT.
Something started leaving me. My Visions.
Something was dying. My Dreams/Me.

I became lost. My thoughts became something which was not mine. And I knew that. I felt that. But was not able to change.

Then i graduated. I joined a job. 2 months. That's all it took for me to understand. This is not my life. This is not what i want. But. As usual, i was not able do anything.

my WHY, is bringing back my REAL self. To bring back my visions, my dreams. To get the freedom and control to dare to think to compete with google, even if it's joke.

I died before 25. I am 25 now. And 25 will be the age i will be awakened.

I was Unscripted . Now again want to be Unscripted .

my WHY to get my REAL ME and achieve Freedom.

Story Ends...

raise your rates
I really struggle with this. Being from a humble poor background, 1000$ feels like a lot, it's enough for me & my family to go 2-3 months. This mental block just don't go away. Whenever i think of charging higher amount my hearts starts beating and struggles like i am doing something bad.

But Yes. I accept this as one of the blockage which i need to overcome, as soon as possible.
Now that you have told me to do, I will do. Next time, i will raise the price. Thank you Sir.
start building a business and a system where YOU sell and close the deal and your team does the work and handles the admin
I am going in Network meeting, business workshops and doing bunch of marketing to learn to sell more & better. I know i am good at selling.
Will take this advice to heart and sell and sell more.
Already started setting up a team, a friend as a developer and one seo guy as freelance.

No words to describe this wise words(see what i did there). As i go on and land bunch of business, i will start seeing the pattern which can be used to make a 'system'? have read many Gold threads on this and will take others tactics, adjust and implement for my business.
then scale
Is it early? I don't know. But i will know after i leave my job this year.
get to it!
Blood boiling, hair raising feeling coursing through my veins.
Just want to shout loudly...

YES SIR!!!

Thank you for being a mentor who guided someone you don't know.
bHLz9Wt

Last edited:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
@BlackMagician Do you have a routine - a pattern of specific scheduled things like networking, calling customers, etc - that you repeat each week? Is it building your business toward what you want to build?

Routines are level 2 magic :wideyed: ... Program your #1 human (you) and make him do your bidding...

After that, you're just testing your program against the results you think it should get you.

I thought, I tried, I did for some days and then it went south. Cold call is not my way that's why i took your magic 1 bullet and implemented in face to face communication.
One routine i have is networking. Going in some business groups or workshops or just be activity on social media groups where i give advice or help people.

But yes, I am lacking here. I should have have routine. I will think about this and select some tips from other threads.
I am sure i will atleast do linkedin strategy mentioned by Earlofchina, and Johnny Boy tactics on voice mail but with different approach which i will test.

Thanks @Rabby for Magic bullet no.2 :p.
Is there a collection of 100 Magic bullets?

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
G'day All,

Yahoo! I am so excited!
Closed the deal, signed the Contract with the Dentist Chairs Production company.
Met the owner and his partner in CCD in morning. After some qualifying questions and value adding they shook hand and told me to start as soon as possible.

Phew... The first RR sales Closed. Now time to over deliver and just delight the client.

Extremely excited.

After that, i had a meeting with a local business group Founder about her website maintenance.
This one is the same group with who i did and fb live hacking protection interview.
She don't have any budget right now so presented her a quaterly maintenance package of 8k where i will do some small changes and do updates/back up and security.

I know i messed up here and seems like a desperate guy who want sales but didn't wanted to lose this connection as this lady is very influencive in my city and can give me some potential business referral in future.

Do point out my mistakes and what i could have done better.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I thought, I tried, I did for some days and then it went south. Cold call is not my way that's why i took your magic 1 bullet and implemented in face to face communication.
One routine i have is networking. Going in some business groups or workshops or just be activity on social media groups where i give advice or help people.

But yes, I am lacking here. I should have have routine. I will think about this and select some tips from other threads.
I am sure i will atleast do linkedin strategy mentioned by Earlofchina, and Johnny Boy tactics on voice mail but with different approach which i will test.

Thanks @Rabby for Magic bullet no.2 :p.
Is there a collection of 100 Magic bullets?

There might be 100 of them, but they are not collected, and only appear in random order, emerging from the void when needed. :happy:

Oh, but one did just come to mind. It's such a common sales thing, but people do it wrong all the time. It's this: "don't tell them about your stuff, ask them about theirs." In other words, find out their problems first. Don't let yourself get into the habit of just telling people all about your product and pricing without getting any information in exchange. The process of fairly trading starts before money or services change hands. I just see this so much, and it's easy to fix. You just ask people more questions in the beginning, so that you can focus on talking to them about things that solve the specific problems that they actually have.

So there is is, bullet #3 ;) You're probably already following it, but if closing ever becomes difficult, check yourself on this one. It's a habit that people sometimes fall out of.

Yahoo! I am so excited!
Closed the deal, signed the Contract with the Dentist Chairs Production company.
Met the owner and his partner in CCD in morning. After some qualifying questions and value adding they shook hand and told me to start as soon as possible.

Awesome! Congratulations :)

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Quick Update

Dental Chair Production Firm deposited full one month payment and i have started the social media management. The goal is to increase followers and views in month and blast the awareness to doctors who will be attending the exhibition.

Ramzaan is going so not getting time to prospect. Will still try to do some meetups.

Off to work!

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
G'day All,

Just a quick update. Previous client reffered a lead whom i had meeting yesterday. They are have 3 different business.
One is Kids Store: Kids wears and accessories of 0-5 age group.
Construction business: Mainly work for Army Defence construction.
Fish Export: Export fish overseas.

They are very old in all these businesses and contacted me for Website design. Had a good conversation with them on all 3 business website design.
But they don't seem to understand a value of website. They think of website as a simple information card. They even said it bluntly.

I was not able to convince them about the website value because they are in touch with other freelancers who have not given correct impression of having a good website. Those freelancers have even told them they will design website for a very low price.

Damn.

But i still quoted them 30k per website and told them the importance of having a quality and value based website.

They have asked to consider more on the price as they will not pay me that amount and looking for something cheap. To me they feel like good people and have sense of business but don't have high impression on websites.

After some discussion i told them i will let them know if i can do something on the price and right now i am in delimma. Should i lower the price or just let this project go?

How should i convince them? I am sure they won't pay that amount.
What should i do? @Kyle T @GuitarManDan @Fox help please guys.

Another update is the dental chair production firm Social Media marketing is going well and client is happy till now. I am trying to put some system here for future growth and properly setting up the work for my team.

Also planning to visit the exhibition with the client of dental Chair as i see potential to interact many other in the same industry. Will ask the client if its possible.

Nothing more. Thanks for reading.

MILIANARD134

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Mar 22, 2018
France
Here is a simple thing you should think about when you say they don't see the value on a website. When I started to work in music industry, my mother told me "it's useless, you can't win money with that" Then I bring her my first paycheck with the name of the label and the money, she says "continue, its good". You know the quote "Show, don't tell" Just show them some results, (true numbers) And if they still don't agree, just move on !

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Here is a simple thing you should think about when you say they don't see the value on a website. When I started to work in music industry, my mother told me "it's useless, you can't win money with that" Then I bring her my first paycheck with the name of the label and the money, she says "continue, its good". You know the quote "Show, don't tell" Just show them some results, (true numbers) And if they still don't agree, just move on !
I tried. Gave some valuables advice and tips while having the convo. But they bluntly replied that they want something cheap!

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
you need a stronger why

what is your 'why'?

raise your rates

then scale

get to it!
The first page of this thread teaches how to systemize, build a team and scale

CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days | Page 4 | The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Some prospects can't get unstuck from "price" because they go into the conversation with the sole goal of finding out about price.

Maybe, sometimes, you can redirect their attention and differentiate. I think it's better to wish them luck and set up a new conversation later about "solving their problems." Spending 10,000 with the cheapest web designer isn't the solution to their problem after all, so surely there is something they need to get done, which they could tell you about. It's the result, not the subtraction of money from their wallet, which should be their goal.

But not everyone will be willing to talk about it, and that's Ok right? At some later time, maybe they'll come to you when they need something better. Or maybe they don't want the level of quality that you offer as your default. Not every customer is right for you :)

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Some prospects can't get unstuck from "price" because they go into the conversation with the sole goal of finding out about price.

Maybe, sometimes, you can redirect their attention and differentiate. I think it's better to wish them luck and set up a new conversation later about "solving their problems." Spending 10,000 with the cheapest web designer isn't the solution to their problem after all, so surely there is something they need to get done, which they could tell you about. It's the result, not the subtraction of money from their wallet, which should be their goal.

But not everyone will be willing to talk about it, and that's Ok right? At some later time, maybe they'll come to you when they need something better. Or maybe they don't want the level of quality that you offer as your default. Not every customer is right for you :)
Couldn't find Rep button. The Forum upgrade ha!

Yup. I think i really was not able to bring their attention to the results and quality because the way we started the conversation was like this:

Client: Hi, Joe referred you that you are the best person for website. I have heard your name in that business group too.
Me: Glad to know. Yes, Joe is also my client.

Client: Ok. See, we are looking to have a website for our kids store. If you are the right person we will give our 2 other business website work to you too.

Me: Sure. Can you tell me more about your business. Let's stick with one business first. Tell me more about kids store, what is your target market, what do you expect from having a website, what is your goals etc.

Client: Blah blah blah... we want to expand our store... blah blah... we just want something which tells our customer about our business. Just like paper brochure, or a PPT. Nothing much.

Me: (internally: sigh; all for nothing) Ok. No problem. We can build for you. See, a website is a marketing tool which, if created and used properly can help you grow faster(some more valuable tips). Also, you should create your business social accounts. For your Construction and Fish business, you should have Linkedin account. I will help you in creating this.

Client: Nice. We don't know about social media, good that you will help. Now tell me how much is for 1 website? we are giving you 3 projects, i know Joe, he is a close friend, website is very easy to build, anyone can do, i have 2 guys who are freelancer and are giving me cheap price. I have many connections and will refer you to them. etc.

Me: (internally i raised red flags) This type of work I charge 30k INR for 1 website.

Client: OMG. That's too much! Too much. It's just a website. We want simple website. This this here, that content here and here. Just this much. Why are you charging so much.

Me: Madam, I usually charge more than this because it's not easy and we give quality service. We are proper business not a freelancer. We work toward results.

Client: Still, that's too much. Think about it some more. We can't pay that. See if you can lower the price.

Me: I can't. That's not how we work.

Client: I have many connections. Joe and me are like best friend... blah blah.

Me: Ok. i will think about it and discuss with my team and send you a separate quote. Will this do?

Client: Sure. I will be expecting a long term work. Good day!

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
LOL. I see this "we have THREE of them" thing all the time when someone has been assigned to go find out about availability and pricing. (Or... "we'll buy from you 100 times per year! We're so big!") Maybe not always the case, but for me it's usually someone's secretary, and since they know nothing about whatever they're researching, and don't really want to know, they ignore any detail or nuance while pretending they know what you're talking about. Then they repeat "what about the price?" like a broken record. I figured out I could waste my whole life writing detailed proposals for this personality type, only to have them throw it in the trash because someone's non-comparable proposal was $6 cheaper.

By the way, I've said it before, but I love your progress. Keep it up! :)

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I guess the good thing is, in a situation like this, at least you know there are 3 businesses looking for service. So if the person asking about "price price price" isn't the owner or final decision maker, you might run into other people at these companies and convince them to advocate for quality. Sometimes this works really well... getting to know 2, 3, 5, 9, or however many people it takes at a larger company. Then if one person is stuck on the idea of price, you still have others who can be made to understand the real issues.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to Thank Mr./Ms. @Rabby for this tip. It REALLY is MAGIC.

I am literally using this advice of you with almost all my leads and they magically trust me. Though not using for cold calling which i have stopped doing, but doing this in almost everything. In events, meetups, calls, emails etc. It really is helpful. If i promise and followup they start trusting and be warm. The lady i mentioned in my above post having social cause fb page is the proof!

Thanks @Rabby
You know what makes you referrable?
  1. You show up on time.
  2. You do what you say you'll do (or let them know what's going on if you can't).
  3. You have manners.
  4. You're competent.

Only a bit of it is your skillset.

Great advice @Rabby

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I agree with Rabby. I don’t think this is the actual decision maker.

Currently reading SPIN selling which focuses on the implications of the prospects problems.

Basically, figure out their problems and get them to realize the true severity of the problem by finding out how their problem affects sales/customers/efficiency/etc.

Price becomes far less of a factor.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I agree with Rabby. I don’t think this is the actual decision maker.

Currently reading SPIN selling which focuses on the implications of the prospects problems.

Basically, figure out their problems and get them to realize the true severity of the problem by finding out how their problem affects sales/customers/efficiency/etc.

Price becomes far less of a factor.
I have half read spin selling when i started. That was not the time to read Spin selling as MJ said, read book which help in your current problems and i was facing mindset problem.

But i need this now. Thanks for the reminder. Will restart the book.

Last edited:

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
You know what makes you referrable?
  1. You show up on time.
  2. You do what you say you'll do (or let them know what's going on if you can't).
  3. You have manners.
  4. You're competent.

Only a bit of it is your skillset.

Great advice @Rabby

First 3 points can be checked right. Need to ask someone who can judge that if i am competent or not.
Few weeks back, I had a meeting with a prospect. The meeting was schedule at 4pm. When i reached her office at 3:57pm, do you know what she said?

Prospect: I was expecting that you will come by 5pm.
Me: Why?

Prospect: Well, nowadays people do like that. They commit the time and reach late with reasons(traffics...).

I was like :happy: .

LOL. I see this "we have THREE of them" thing all the time when someone has been assigned to go find out about availability and pricing. (Or... "we'll buy from you 100 times per year! We're so big!") Maybe not always the case, but for me it's usually someone's secretary, and since they know nothing about whatever they're researching, and don't really want to know, they ignore any detail or nuance while pretending they know what you're talking about. Then they repeat "what about the price?" like a broken record. I figured out I could waste my whole life writing detailed proposals for this personality type, only to have them throw it in the trash because someone's non-comparable proposal was $6 cheaper.

By the way, I've said it before, but I love your progress. Keep it up! :)

Thanks man for the love. I don't know how strong my WHY is, but this comment of yours will push me through weak times.
I guess the good thing is, in a situation like this, at least you know there are 3 businesses looking for service. So if the person asking about "price price price" isn't the owner or final decision maker, you might run into other people at these companies and convince them to advocate for quality. Sometimes this works really well... getting to know 2, 3, 5, 9, or however many people it takes at a larger company. Then if one person is stuck on the idea of price, you still have others who can be made to understand the real issues.
The bad thing is, the client(or prospect?) is the decision maker. She bargains to me like a street stall seller. :p
here is some screenshots:

On call, she was very impressed. She even told me that they have contacted other freelancer for the work but that person just sent them the quote and was not professional like me who sent a detailed quotation with exact work and time. But then next day she said this.

A clean chit! haha.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
G'day All,

Some small updates:
1) I have been prospecting and following up with those who where interested. The Civil Engineer business guy have taken very long period of silence. We were going nowhere with back and forth communication. Yesterday i told him to meet this week and finalize when we start the website project.

2) Dental Chair Manufacturer: A month of extensive social media marketing and promotion we brought some good awareness and collected leads which were directed to the 7th June Exhibition. Client was very excited on call after the exhibition and mentioned that they sold alot, booked some for future and even booked their Premium Chairs. It feels great to bring results :).

We are continuing the contract with more focus on brand building and ROI. Meeting him this week.
He also mentioned that one of his friend need a website for his business and wants to meet me. Asked him to bring the guy together. I am sure i can pocket this new warm reference! Just need to prepare better and bring values on table.

3) Laundry service business: Got this referral from local networking group friend of mine. They have 2 outlets and a good offline reputation in the city. 6years old business and now wants to go online. No website, no social media, nothing. Just some yellow page reviews they have.
Did some research in that industry, and got on call with the decision maker. After a long 40 min back & forth questions/answers, i presented the plan to first have a website which garner to his targeted market, doing social media marketing to build trust in community.

We schedule a meeting this Saturday at his Laundry. Let's see where can i take this. If i played my cards well, this can go at higher price around 35k/45k, which i haven't yet charged anyone else.
That's all on business updates.

Job is going ok. I am not involving myself much here in the job with others. Just the required work and off i go.

On personal level, mindset is improving, confidence in dealing with unknown.
And my favorite, The thrill to tackle the problems and solving them! Just loving this feeling. haha.

Reading "No B.S Direct marketing for Social Media".

That's all. Until next time.

Merlox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 11, 2016
You need someone to push you forward throught the hard times. Get a mentor who's done what you want to do and pay him for accountability so that he verifies that you're putting the work daily.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.