• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB SCHOOL Humble Hustle & adding value via Web Business - Progress thread

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by BlackMagician, Sep 5, 2018.

1. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    G'day All,

It's been a long time i posted something progressive. I have started using Clickup to get things done.
    As said before, I have been trying to build repo in the local meetup group i am associated with. Now i am core member of that group and can suggest things for improvements.
    I have been busy in executing and managing many digital work for this group Award ceremony which they hosted last Sunday with one of big NGO of the city. I basically managed all the online activities and marketing for this. After the event, many people connected with me and want to do business with me. Most of them need graphics and branding but i will also pitch them website design too.

I really worked hard for this event, not getting anytime for anything else, in the hope of getting more exposure to local businesses. i think it's paid off.

While i was busy with event preparation, my cousin referred me to electric panel manufacturer who specialized in customized products of panels. After some calls and explanations from my side, the deal is closed for 20k. They will transfer the 50% deposit soon but i have started the work.
    I will be registering there domain today and start researching in there vertical.

I have also got a referral from the local group founder. The person who contacted me have facebook page for social cause. She basically help poor children, specially girls and help them increase there awareness for education, invention and motivations. Her fb page is very active and she usually post quotes regarding how daughters are a blessings etc. The page have 500k Likes & followers and all her posts at-least gets 3k likes.
    The lady is currently not earning anything from the page. Now she wants to do this stuff professionally and convert this into a foundation for something big. That's why she contacted me to help her. I have quoted her 10k for social media management.
    She seems a nice person to me so i told her i will design her a website for free. I know i am being stupid here but i liked her social cause.

For failures:
    The hotel website deal is stuck. The guy is actually stuck in Jammu & Kashmir in curfew placed by government because of terrorists attack last month. I just called him for asking his health and how things are there. Didn't asked about deal.

Things i will do:

• Had a call with catering business (whom i helped with her graphics design) and scheduled a meeting tomorrow with her husband. I don't know what is his requirements but he asked to meet me. I have taken a day off from the job to visit them and let's see what comes up.
    • I haven't been prospecting much right now, will be working on this. I am thinking to apply @ johnyboy strategy of slybroadcast with whatsapp. I can't use that tool here in India. I am planning to get the whatsapp numbers of local interior designer businesses and send them a voice message with details on improving there website. I don't know if this will work because it will be difficult to find there whatsapp numbers. Need to test this.
    • Also going to try b2b sales techniques of @ EarlOfChina and test if it will work on whatsapp. If not, i will go to LinkedIn and Instagram.
    • Before doing anything above, i need to update my business profile on social media. They are not updated since ages. haha. Damn. That is also my work. My business don't have a profile yet on LinkedIn. Will need to create that too.

Phew that was long. sorry for wasting your time if its not helpful to you.

splok, SMH and Rabby like this.
  2. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    I want to Thank Mr./Ms. @Rabby for this tip. It REALLY is MAGIC.

I am literally using this advice of you with almost all my leads and they magically trust me. Though not using for cold calling which i have stopped doing, but doing this in almost everything. In events, meetups, calls, emails etc. It really is helpful. If i promise and followup they start trusting and be warm. The lady i mentioned in my above post having social cause fb page is the proof!

Thanks @Rabby

Rabby likes this.
  3. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,923
  4. Danny01

Danny01 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $257
    Nice progress so far. I'll be meeting hotel owners in my province from tomorrow to pitch them on the need for having a website and also integrating direct booking to it. I hope they'll see the need.

BlackMagician likes this.
  5. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    Cool! While researching this niche, i found that having a price comparison widget on the website, which compares price from OTA's directly help convince the visitors to book directly. Triptease is doing fabulously as other stated. I haven't tried so can't say.

6. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    G'day All,

Quick update:
    Tried to fix a meeting with a catering service lady, but she was busy so missed that yesterday.

Instead, I met with 500k likes fb page lady. What a meeting... She scheduled the meet in one of the top Business magazine event she was attending in a 5-star hotel! I don't know how others will think, but for me, a guy who lives in slums, it's something grand! The lady has some crazy connections in women empowerment & business communities across India. She had been Asia's marketing head of a company I don't know.

Never imagined would be able to make connections with such high level people. Really...

They say, you need connections to succeed. Hell, if we are here on this forum, we can learn whatever is needed to get that CONNECTION!
    I am thrilled. The coincidence was, one of the Bollywood Top actress was the Guest of Honor. My 'Luck'.

he he.. Sorry I wasted your time... Back to business...

As she is not earning anything as of now from her page, we fixed our deal for 10k/month to do SMM for her. On top of that, I really felt her sincerity in the social cause and offered her to design her website for free.

Lets see where this hustle will take me.

Thanks for reading this.

Edit: I think this deal will start from next month, april.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    RandD, splok, ClaverCasley and 3 others like this.
  7. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    G'day all,

Quick update:
    Got one Web design project this week. The client was working for civil engineering company but fed of the job model. He started his own structural designing and research business.

Glad to know people who have a mindset of entrepreneur's. He has analysed a problem in his Industry and started giving solutions for that.
    Now he want to grow and do more professionally, hence approached me.

I will give my best to help him and not let him go back to job. He is of similar age, we could become friends in future.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Rabby likes this.
  8. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    Another update is, the lady of save the girl child Foundation approached me last saturday for live fb interview with her friend who runs another women business group. She wanted to spread awareness in her group on how hackers can hack and how to protect ourselves online.
    I have some cyber security experience so i met her and we did a live session on fb. Around 2k people watched and asked various questions to me which i gave responce to.
    The session was very good but shocking thing is so many people doing business don't know how to protect and be safe online.

At the start of the session, me and my business was introduced. I am hoping to get Web design and digital marketing business from there.

It was very good experience as i never did public speaking. I learned a lot and experienced much. Was little nervous initially but gain track as we continued.

I swear, if i haven't changed my mindset with the help of forum people and specially, Sir @MustImprove gold thread, I would never have able to do it.
    Thank you everyone.

Irony is, I am the only guy in that women business group :D
    They has asked to do some kind of workshop where i teach them.
    Hope to get more business from there.

astr0, MustImprove, Rabby and 2 others like this.
  9. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $31,216
    placeholder

10. ClaverCasley

ClaverCasley Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $538
    Worth reading. I just clicked 'Watch Thread'. Happy hustling..

11. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    Sir @ZCP, right here, this thread. Waiting for some punch/kick, some motivation, guidance. The most I want is someone tell me all about what am doing wrong, point out the mistakes in me and tell me the way to improve, what i should learn, what i am missing...

I believe myself to be an Unpolish, humble person who, with roughness can achieve something.

@ZCP sir, i wrote this post just so that you can peek in my true mind and shower your guidance.

Thanks.

12. Rabby

Rabby Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,923
    @BlackMagician Do you have a routine - a pattern of specific scheduled things like networking, calling customers, etc - that you repeat each week? Is it building your business toward what you want to build?

Routines are level 2 magic :wideyed: ... Program your #1 human (you) and make him do your bidding...

After that, you're just testing your program against the results you think it should get you.

13. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $31,216
    you don't need someone to kick your a$$
    you need a stronger why

what is your 'why'?

raise your rates

start building a business and a system where YOU sell and close the deal and your team does the work and handles the admin

land a bunch of business and create the 'system'

then scale

get to it!

14. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    G'day All,

I was active on forum but haven't updated this thread.
    A month went by with lots of emotions. Job gave a dangerous kick to me. On 21th March, the company I am employed off, got a big project which we needed to do. I and some other colleagues were sent to another location to execute this project. Timing was also messed up. I leave home at 6:30am and reach back at 7pm.
    Due to long travel i was not able to work much on my hustle.
    Another 'why' to push myself and become unscripted and fastlaner.

I was also diagnosed having Piles in that period, which took a great toll on my health.

Anyhow, i still pushed myself to at-least not to stop. Here are the things i did in this 1 month period:

Electrical Panel Manufacturer Website:
    Got paid for Electrical Panel's website which i got in march, completed and handed over to the client. They loved it. Will contact them in 1-2 months for their feedback on the results they are getting.

Civil Structural Engineering Website:
    This project went on hold because of my health issue, but client was also busy and we agreed to shift the project launch in May. This is such a good client, but really should have completed the project on time. I would like to apologize to him anonymously.
    What will you have done in this case? what is the correct way to handle and such type of situation arises?

-------------------------------
    Apart from those two projects, I did a Social Media Marketing Workshop for the member of Business group i am the Admin of. Earned some bucks there and got some good prospects.

One of the attendee of the workshop contacted me after the workshop and asked for Social Media Marketing service. After some back & forth on call, he is not ready for taking my service. He is a doctor by the way and have Dentist related Seats products. We have scheduled a meeting this Saturday. I will try my best to close this deal as this will be my first Month to month service.

What do you suggest i should do as a preparation?
    Will update you guys on the meeting.

Abaya Fashion Designer Bootique:
    This is one prospect which wanted my social media service for her Abaya's they made. We met last sunday. She is just starting & don't have any sales. I analysed her business and figured that i may not be able to help her right now.
    She just wants to start getting sales.
    I have told her that i may not be able to help her gain sales at this time because she don't have any offline/online presence and have very competitive market.

Gave her some tips to gain some traction offline and suggested her to do some exhibition type things.
    I just feel that i may not able to bring sales for a startup and can't take their money. What do you guys think i should have done?
    Is it that i should just take the job and figure out later or i have done correct?

What can i do to bring sales for those people who are just starting?

_________

Thank's for reading my progress which is very slow and staying accountable.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  15. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    Thank you Sir @ZCP for the wisdom and guidance.

The day you gave your advice, I write it down in my notebook. :)
    [​IMG]

I thought i am just being lazy bum.
    Freedom. Freedom of choice. Freedom of thoughts.
    below i have mentioned my 'WHY', is it strong enough, Sir?

I really struggle with this. Being from a humble poor background, 1000$ feels like a lot, it's enough for me & my family to go 2-3 months. This mental block just don't go away. Whenever i think of charging higher amount my hearts starts beating and struggles like i am doing something bad.

But Yes. I accept this as one of the blockage which i need to overcome, as soon as possible.
    Now that you have told me to do, I will do. Next time, i will raise the price. Thank you Sir.
    I am going in Network meeting, business workshops and doing bunch of marketing to learn to sell more & better. I know i am good at selling.
    Will take this advice to heart and sell and sell more.
    Already started setting up a team, a friend as a developer and one seo guy as freelance.

No words to describe this wise words(see what i did there). As i go on and land bunch of business, i will start seeing the pattern which can be used to make a 'system'? have read many Gold threads on this and will take others tactics, adjust and implement for my business.
    Is it early? I don't know. But i will know after i leave my job this year.
    Blood boiling, hair raising feeling coursing through my veins.
    Just want to shout loudly...

YES SIR!!!

Thank you for being a mentor who guided someone you don't know.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  16. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    I thought, I tried, I did for some days and then it went south. Cold call is not my way that's why i took your magic 1 bullet and implemented in face to face communication.
    One routine i have is networking. Going in some business groups or workshops or just be activity on social media groups where i give advice or help people.

But yes, I am lacking here. I should have have routine. I will think about this and select some tips from other threads.
    I am sure i will atleast do linkedin strategy mentioned by Earlofchina, and Johnny Boy tactics on voice mail but with different approach which i will test.

Thanks @Rabby for Magic bullet no.2 :p.
    Is there a collection of 100 Magic bullets?

Rabby likes this.
  17. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    G'day All,

Yahoo! I am so excited!
    Closed the deal, signed the Contract with the Dentist Chairs Production company.
    Met the owner and his partner in CCD in morning. After some qualifying questions and value adding they shook hand and told me to start as soon as possible.

Phew... The first RR sales Closed. Now time to over deliver and just delight the client.

Extremely excited.

After that, i had a meeting with a local business group Founder about her website maintenance.
    This one is the same group with who i did and fb live hacking protection interview.
    She don't have any budget right now so presented her a quaterly maintenance package of 8k where i will do some small changes and do updates/back up and security.

I know i messed up here and seems like a desperate guy who want sales but didn't wanted to lose this connection as this lady is very influencive in my city and can give me some potential business referral in future.

Do point out my mistakes and what i could have done better.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    MakeItHappen likes this.
  18. Rabby

Rep Bank:
    $5,923
    There might be 100 of them, but they are not collected, and only appear in random order, emerging from the void when needed. :happy:

Oh, but one did just come to mind. It's such a common sales thing, but people do it wrong all the time. It's this: "don't tell them about your stuff, ask them about theirs." In other words, find out their problems first. Don't let yourself get into the habit of just telling people all about your product and pricing without getting any information in exchange. The process of fairly trading starts before money or services change hands. I just see this so much, and it's easy to fix. You just ask people more questions in the beginning, so that you can focus on talking to them about things that solve the specific problems that they actually have.

So there is is, bullet #3 ;) You're probably already following it, but if closing ever becomes difficult, check yourself on this one. It's a habit that people sometimes fall out of.

Awesome! Congratulations :)

19. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    Quick Update

Dental Chair Production Firm deposited full one month payment and i have started the social media management. The goal is to increase followers and views in month and blast the awareness to doctors who will be attending the exhibition.

Ramzaan is going so not getting time to prospect. Will still try to do some meetups.

Off to work!

MakeItHappen likes this.
  20. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    Thank you for sharing that 3rd Magic bullet @Rabby. I have that stored and always shoot at first sight of the client! haha

Will keep you updated.

Rabby likes this.
  21. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    G'day All,

Just a quick update. Previous client reffered a lead whom i had meeting yesterday. They are have 3 different business.
    One is Kids Store: Kids wears and accessories of 0-5 age group.
    Construction business: Mainly work for Army Defence construction.
    Fish Export: Export fish overseas.

They are very old in all these businesses and contacted me for Website design. Had a good conversation with them on all 3 business website design.
    But they don't seem to understand a value of website. They think of website as a simple information card. They even said it bluntly.

I was not able to convince them about the website value because they are in touch with other freelancers who have not given correct impression of having a good website. Those freelancers have even told them they will design website for a very low price.

Damn.

But i still quoted them 30k per website and told them the importance of having a quality and value based website.

They have asked to consider more on the price as they will not pay me that amount and looking for something cheap. To me they feel like good people and have sense of business but don't have high impression on websites.

After some discussion i told them i will let them know if i can do something on the price and right now i am in delimma. Should i lower the price or just let this project go?

How should i convince them? I am sure they won't pay that amount.
    What should i do? @Kyle T @GuitarManDan @Fox help please guys.

Another update is the dental chair production firm Social Media marketing is going well and client is happy till now. I am trying to put some system here for future growth and properly setting up the work for my team.

Also planning to visit the exhibition with the client of dental Chair as i see potential to interact many other in the same industry. Will ask the client if its possible.

Nothing more. Thanks for reading.

MakeItHappen likes this.
  22. MILIANARD134

MILIANARD134 Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $311
    Here is a simple thing you should think about when you say they don't see the value on a website. When I started to work in music industry, my mother told me "it's useless, you can't win money with that" Then I bring her my first paycheck with the name of the label and the money, she says "continue, its good". You know the quote "Show, don't tell" Just show them some results, (true numbers) And if they still don't agree, just move on !

Torsten, Roz and BlackMagician like this.
  23. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001
    I tried. Gave some valuables advice and tips while having the convo. But they bluntly replied that they want something cheap!

24. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,717
    The first page of this thread teaches how to systemize, build a team and scale

CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days | Page 4 | The Fastlane Entrepreneur Forum

25. BlackMagician

Rep Bank:
    $1,001

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.