The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Howdy from Scotland

dbalf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jul 20, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

So my name is Dave, I'm 24 and from Scotland.

I could easily write an autobiography of my life so I will try keep it short(er).

I grew up in a family which has had many struggles throughout my life. I have 2 siblings, my third sibling died not long after birth due to Spinobiphida. My younger brother, three and a half years younger, was born eleven weeks early with cerebral palsy, epilepsy and got brain damage due to a lack of oxygen. Later on he developed severe autism which has really been the biggest hardship for my family. When I was about eight years old my dad was diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) which lasted for several years . This left it mostly up to myself and my mother to look after both my dad and my brother throughout my younger years. My older brother didn't really help as he didn't quite know how to deal with the problems at a younger age and resorted to alcohol and partying. It took until his mid 20s before he managed to sort himself out and now he just graduated as a solicitor and landed a job.

My passions and goals throughout my life were all over the place. I was in and out of college courses and unable to focus on where I wanted to go. I could never keep a job because of the monotony and it felt like I was wasting my time. I had believed I found my dream job in photography and wanted to become some famous photographer. I was good, but as soon as I started to turn my passion into a work venture I lost my desire to chase this dream. It really started to ruin photography for me and decided I would rather keep it as a hobby.

When I was 17 I met my girlfriend, we've been together ever since. She has stayed with me throughout my many mistakes but I had gotten close to losing her a couple of times. She started a small Etsy shop in 2013 designing the odd product, trying to save up money for us eventually moving out of my parents house. I tried helping her with my many skills in Photoshop to make her job a little easier. However, I never really got into it at this time.

During a time when I was job hopping she left for a year to go to a prestigious design school in Singapore. She acquired from this school a solid discipline in work ethic and started to grow her shop whenever she had spare time. Again, I would sometimes help out with technical problems she faced and sped up the processes.

Once she moved back in with me I had quit my job and we got the shop up to making $750-$900 per month, not exactly enough to go anywhere. After trying to leverage value in our products and compete in a now over saturated market we focused on a upcoming trend. In four months, working tirelessly on this new trend we increased our revenue to $2600+ per month. This was enough to move out of my parents and in Mar 2016 we started to rent a house off of my uncle. However, I do look back and wish instead of just slightly skewing the value towards our products, that we worked much harder to make them much better for the customers.

Ever since we moved house we have been growing our business and learning as much as we can. We're now earning a profit of over $3900+ per month. We have moved on from our old niche and are focusing on a much more scale-able one which is closely related. Everyday we read books on how to be more successful and everything about working in our market. Also, I have been learning computer science over the last few months in order to develop a unique shopping experience which I don't believe has ever been programmed on the internet before. I'm hoping that this will drive customers towards our website, it will help solve a major problem in our market which hasn't been addressed from any other stores.

I hope I didn't make you all fall asleep and if you have any questions then please feel free to ask. I'm open to talk about anything. I hope to post updates on how well my business is growing now that I believe I have the right tools and knowledge on how to grow it well. Unscripted and TMF has equipped me with some extra tools on helping me succeed. If you want to know about my 'F*ck This' moment I could always elaborate but I've excluded it here to save you from as much of the depressing life I've endured. I look forward to see how hard everyone works.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
Welcome .....That was a long intro ! .........But interesting.........

I normally would not have such an attention appetite.....

Don`t forget to focus 100% on the end user.....

Adversity creates a template for transformation

Good luck....

Regards ....TM

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Welcome to the forum! I've sold on Etsy in the past too. :) If you don't mind my asking, are you still selling there and if so, how did you scale up? Manufacturing? I've toyed with restarting my business there on a larger scale, but I think it's going to actually be my slow lane venture so I can eat while I do other things.

dbalf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
350%
Jul 20, 2017
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! I've sold on Etsy in the past too. :) If you don't mind my asking, are you still selling there and if so, how did you scale up? Manufacturing? I've toyed with restarting my business there on a larger scale, but I think it's going to actually be my slow lane venture so I can eat while I do other things.

We do still sell on Etsy but they are becoming more and more unreliable as time goes on. Since Etsy went public it has degraded it's relationship with sellers and it's becoming harder to brand and drive sales. We sell on many platforms now including my own website. Etsy does still generate a large chunk of our income but I'm not about to base all of my income on another companies platform. If you're looking to restart your business and scale it up do it on your own website and use Etsy and other platforms to boost sales, never rely on them. They care about profit, not your shop.

How I'm scaling up is through my own website store where I can focus on creating a personalized brand, style and experience for my customers. I'm scaling my production by creating much larger automation, coding my own shopping cart and focusing on unique products. My main drive is to make everything easy and at the highest standards for my customers. As of right now all my products are digital but I will also be looking at how to create physical products without taking a huge amount of time. My time is much better spent creating and designing products than manufacturing.

CSAlexandru

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 25, 2017
Romania
Great intro. Looks like you hit a bunch of bumps in your life. Good you and your girl have the same aspirations working toward the same goal. Keep up the good work!

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
We do still sell on Etsy but they are becoming more and more unreliable as time goes on. Since Etsy went public it has degraded it's relationship with sellers and it's becoming harder to brand and drive sales. We sell on many platforms now including my own website. Etsy does still generate a large chunk of our income but I'm not about to base all of my income on another companies platform. If you're looking to restart your business and scale it up do it on your own website and use Etsy and other platforms to boost sales, never rely on them. They care about profit, not your shop.

How I'm scaling up is through my own website store where I can focus on creating a personalized brand, style and experience for my customers. I'm scaling my production by creating much larger automation, coding my own shopping cart and focusing on unique products. My main drive is to make everything easy and at the highest standards for my customers. As of right now all my products are digital but I will also be looking at how to create physical products without taking a huge amount of time. My time is much better spent creating and designing products than manufacturing.

That is exactly what I plan to do --relaunch on my own website and I agree about Etsy. Don't get me started on their degradation since going public.

Sfbloo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 9, 2017
Uk
An interesting story Dave, plenty of motivation and experience for your still young age. Good luck to you.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You have the makings of a great story underway. Welcome to the forum.

had believed I found my dream job in photography and wanted to become some famous photographer. I was good, but as soon as I started to turn my passion into a work venture I lost my desire to chase this dream. It really started to ruin photography for me and decided I would rather keep it as a hobby.

Gee, another "do what you love" tale of destruction the world won't hear about.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
........create physical products without taking a huge amount of time. My time is much better spent creating and designing products than manufacturing.[/QUOTE]

This is wonderful advice here....the best route to scalability....I wish I had known that when I was 24 yrs old ....sighhhhh

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...