The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Howdy from Brisbane Australia!

James Egerton

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 14, 2015
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Hey all,

I made a commitment to myself that I would finish MJ's book before introducing myself and becoming an active member. Well, after spending every spare hour in February glued to the book, here I am!

So, a bit of background. I was born and raise on a sheep and cattle property in Central Queensland (Australia). My parents are very conservative (avoid debt, remove yourself from risk, put money in the bank...etc etc) and as such, my siblings and I were raised with the mindset of going to university, getting 'stable'/'safe' careers and avoid the hardship of working on the land. I graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and started working on remote construction sites due to the lure of what I perceived at the time to be big $$.

While I am only 29, it pains me to look back on those years and see how my enthusiasm and vigour was slowly syphoned off by a thankless corporation. Bright side is that I did learn a good deal and make some lasting friendships...

After marrying my wife (who I met at university while she was studying abroad from the USA) and having our first child, I opted for a job in Brisbane so I could be home every night. No more 'big $$' remote site work for me. At first the change was amazing...dropping to a 40hr work week, getting to see my family everyday, learning new skill sets at work. But after a few months it felt as if something was missing. I felt I had no direction and it was clear that my new role was limited in growth due to BS office politics. A friend of mine was experiencing a similar predicament and put me onto learning about entrepreneurship. I'll be honest, being cocooned away in my slowlane, I had NFI what it was all about...

Anyway, fast forward 8 months and I stumbled upon TMF , which subsequently lead to me buying the book (not the easiest thing to do as skeptical conservative person). At first I was a little apprehensive due to the marketing hook, but the more I read, the more it opened my eyes to the opportunities and potential pathways you can travel.

Enlightenment aside, I know I'm not about to change nearly 20 years of conservative upbringing and the fear I feel of potentially causing my young family to go backwards, overnight. But I see this as a process of learning and growing so when my cahoonas are big enough I can take the leap and not look back.

Bit of a lengthy intro, so TL;DR version:
  • Conservative family subscribed to the Slowlane
  • Felt something missing from life
  • Began learning about entrepreneurship and business
  • Working to grow bigger cahoonas and commit to Fastlane
I look forward to being part of the community and learning from those well advanced in their Fastlane.

Cheers,

James

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
Hey, a fellow mechanical engineer!

This is a good place to start: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/useful-threads-and-resources-compiled.54394/

My advice is to read all of the gold threads on the free part of the forum, then when you have done that get an INSIDERS subscription - the amount of valuable information you get for the price is mind blowing.

Also take action before you think you are ready. Paralysis by analysis is a a big problem when you are starting out, I'm guilty of it. Pick a direction, commit to it, try to get a sale ASAP (check out Noah Kagan's vids on idea validation, he will drum into your mind how fast you need to be moving).

Last edited by a moderator:

James Egerton

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 14, 2015
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Thanks Richy. I've been making my way through the Gold threads, but that compilation is awesome.

Looked up some of Noah Kagan's videos as well - I see why you recommended them. App Sumo have some educational vids too.

Thanks again for the help!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...