The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Would You Validate This Weird Business Idea?

Idea threads

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Hope you're all doing fine and dandy!

Glamourbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers makeup/beauty related items to it's customers every month for around $20.

Similarly, Lootcrate delivers a collection of "geeky" memorabilia - including shirts, figurines, and mystery items - to it's customers every month. So I thought...

I see a lot of female family and friends who regularly purchase headscrafs (Hijabs). Why not create a monthly subscription service that would send them different fashionable Hijabs every month. (Sidenote: There's definitely a niche for clothing that is "islamically modest")

It sounds like an interesting idea to me, and I don't see any BIG companies doing this on a large scale. BUT, how do I validate this idea?

How would you determine if this is an actual service people would find valuable and pay for?

Kickstarter? FB ads? Word of mouth?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Why not create a monthly subscription service

I wouldn't even bother. Almost no barriers to entry and no way to provide value.

The best subscription box service business is a subscription box fulfillment service business.

There's definitely a niche for clothing that is "islamically modest"

Then make an Islamically modest online clothing store. This business doesn't make sense for a subscription service. Getting razors or tampons once a month makes sense.

Edit: All the successful subscription box services add value in more ways that just getting a box every month.

Usually the value point is providing a product for significantly under retail.

Last edited:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Hope you're all doing fine and dandy!

Glamourbox is a monthly subscription service that delivers makeup/beauty related items to it's customers every month for around $20.

Similarly, Lootcrate delivers a collection of "geeky" memorabilia - including shirts, figurines, and mystery items - to it's customers every month. So I thought...

I see a lot of female family and friends who regularly purchase headscrafs (Hijabs). Why not create a monthly subscription service that would send them different fashionable Hijabs every month. (Sidenote: There's definitely a niche for clothing that is "islamically modest")

It sounds like an interesting idea to me, and I don't see any BIG companies doing this on a large scale. BUT, how do I validate this idea?

How would you determine if this is an actual service people would find valuable and pay for?

Kickstarter? FB ads? Word of mouth?

If I wanted to validate this idea, I'd probably use a model similar to JackThreads + use FB ads

Ship scarves and let them keep what they like and send back what they don't. Then charge them for what they don't send back.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I think there's definitely a market for fashionable modest clothing. Whether or not it's a box subscription is up for debate.

But I'd try and get a chance to talk with a women's group at a local Islamic center (obviously depends on how strict the group is. Have a female friend talk on your behalf if needed)

The easiest thing to do is talk to people.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
There's definitely a niche for clothing that is "islamically modest"

1.6 Billion people isn't a niche :smile2:

Sounds like there would definitely be a market, I saw a lady on CNBC that opened a chain in France for modest beachwear for muslim women that was doing very well. Sadly, I can't remember the name.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016

That's the wrong way of looking at it. There's not many Muslims living in the US and there's obvious issues with shipping products internationally such as added costs, paperwork, customs, shipping times, etc... The idea is a niche.

Sounds like there would definitely be a market, I saw a lady on CNBC that opened a chain in France for modest beachwear for muslim women that was doing very well. Sadly, I can't remember the name.

There isn't a market because people don't need a subscription for the product and the differences aren't that unique. With food or Geek items you can send drastically different items each time. With this it's just a slight differences each time.

I hate it when people say that there are X number of people or X number of dollars to justify an idea. The banking industry is a $15 TRILLION dollar industry but it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to open a bank! Wow how naive do you have to be to believe that spouting big numbers justifies an idea?

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
That's the wrong way of looking at it. There's not many Muslims living in the US and there's obvious issues with shipping products internationally such as added costs, paperwork, customs, shipping times, etc... The idea is a niche.

Fair enough.

There's isn't a market because people don't need a subscription for the product and the differences aren't that unique. With food or Geek items you can send drastically different items each time. With this it's just a slight differences each time.

I was really just acknowledging that there is a market for fashionable modest clothing, per @Scot's suggestion.

I hate it when people say that there are X number of people or X number of dollars to justify an idea. The banking industry is a $15 TRILLION dollar industry but it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to open a bank! Wow how naive do you have to be to believe that spouting big numbers justifies an idea?

You're wrong here. Of course the size of the market isn't enough in and of itself to justify starting a business, but you always think about the potential scale that's out there.

Also, banks get started every day. I've had two people that started banks in my office in the last 3 weeks. How many bank president phone numbers do you have?

EDIT: No idea why, but my text appears inside the quote.

EDIT 2: It's possible to be critical of a young guy with an idea in a way that's encouraging and helpful instead of condescending.

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse

The swimwear are dubbed the "burkini" over here. Could be worth a look at bringing to the US @Hassan.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.