The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How we cured my wife's health problem

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Hi all, wanted to share this experience to demonstrate how a health problem crippled our family and our fastlane desires and ambitions......and how we defeated it.

So, this past year, my wife has been struggling with health problems. We moved from Dallas, TX back home to Oregon. It was a great transition and success was all around us, but my wifes health has been problematic ever since. First, she was diagnosed as needing a hysterectomy. Ok, fine. Completed that in January of this year. Then, more problems followed and she was told that she needed gallbladder surgery. Fine, another fairly simple surgery. However, a few weeks later, my wife had to be rushed to the ER. She had a serious pain in her upper gut area. She described the pain as being worse than labor pains. She was given a shot for pain. Her liver and pancreatic enzymes were high indicating that her body was angry about something, but no one could figure out what. Once the pain subsided and the other scans turned out ok, she was sent home.

The pain returned three days later. Back to the ER, same exact exercise as before. It took three or four more visits to the ER before she was finally admitted. After a two day stay, with no answers, she was released. Another few ER visits, and then she was admitted again. This time, for 8 days. She underwent many more tests and scans, and many visits from doctors, recommendations from the health university. Still no answers. Finally, on the last day of her stay, the doctor caring for her said that she was going to release her since they cant find anything wrong with her, even though the symptoms would return every few days. There was no plan for treating the illness or the crippling pain that she was experiencing. She left the hospital with a prescription for predisone(a terrible steroid) and oxycodone for the pain.

After my wife was released, she seemed to get better. We took a trip to Washington for a few days, no symptoms. On the day we left, her symptoms started showing up again. A couple of days later, she ended up in the ER again. This time, my wife sat in the ER for over an hour with this level 10 pain. They took their time in getting her some pain relief. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW FOR ME.

I am an I.T. guy by day, so I approached this like I would any other broken server or computer and get to the root cause. I started researching her symptoms, the steroids, the drugs, her surgeries, and all other factors and timelines, including the fact that her symptoms seemed to subside when we left the 8 night stay at the hospital. She didn't seem to have anything wrong with her, except that this pain would return. The underlying cause of pain is inflammation. Inflammation appears to be the underlying cause of just about every "natural" disease that you can name, with the exception of trauma and heredity. This includes asthma, cancer, heart problems, autoimmune diseases, and many other scary diseases. The only thing that could explain her symptoms temporarily subsiding after the hospital stay was either the prednison, or the fact that the doctors had her on a liquid diet, or a combination of the two. Prednisone reduces inflammation and shuts down your immune system.

Our plan was to find a way to remove the symptoms without using oxycodone, and then treat the underlying inflammation. After a few attempts, we found that a drink made with coconut milk, tumeric, and a few other ingredients removed the pain after only two good gulps. It wasnt long lasting, maybe two hours, but worked much faster than any oral medication.

Next, we needed to conquer the underlying cause of the inflammation. I decided to try using food to reproduce the effects of the prednisone by stripping her diet down to the bare minimum and go hard on the anti-inflammatory foods. I put my wife on an elimination diet consisting of lamb, turkey, any fruit except citrus, and vegetables high in anti-inflammatory properties. After about four days on this diet, her symptoms began to subside......and as of the time of this post, she is symptom free. We will begin gradually adding foods back in to try and determine which food was causing the inflammation.

I have learned a lot in the past three months. First, most natural diseases, including the scary ones, can be treated with food. Your food will either protect you, or kill you. There is no middle ground. Don't wait until the doctor gives you a stage 4 diagnosis to take some action. There can be inflammation in your body that you aren't aware of. Do an elimination diet. Its the best way to figure out what foods will kill you. The second thing I learned is that doctors can only do so much. The skyrocketing cost is OUR FAULT. We want the doctors to give us a pill and fix everything. They cant !

I think MJ has always said that you can achieve most things as long as you have your health. You have to take some responsibility for your health. START TODAY !!

I wanted to share this in hopes that there is someone who could use this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Glad to hear your wife is getting better!

You made a few great points, if I could summarize:

1. YOU are responsible for your health and your loved ones health (not some doc that spends 30 minutes with you).
2. It's amazing what health issues you can avoid/fix by adjustments in your diet.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Yes, I used to think natural and homeopathic remedies was nothing more than snakeoil. But seeing my wife go from laying in her bed and in constant pain to vigorous and energetic with no pain whatsoever, i'm a believer. Food is absolutely the best medicine. But it can also be poison, even pure unprocessed foods, if you don't study the food you are eating and the effects it has on your body. Your body responds to every single thing that you put in it.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Awesome! Glad to hear she's better now, thanks for sharing this with us.

Correlates with the thought that there's a proportional connection between
the rise of processed fake food and the rise of cancer in the last few decades.

G

Guest24480

@biggeemac Hey I know this is an old post but how is your wife doing? I've been having some very similar health problems lately and have been researching them like crazy. In particular, extreme fatigue/brain fog and digestive issues have been some things I've had to deal with the most. There are dozens of others I won't mention though. I used to think these natural remedies were a bunch of hogwash as well but seeing so many people online with almost my exact symptoms who were cured naturally has converted me to a believer as well.

Question: Was your wife ever a drinker or given antibiotics for a very long time? I believe antibiotics essentially eradicated most of the good bacteria in my body and coupled with my drinking habits/diet it led to a Candida (yeast) overgrowth. Yes, this can affect males as well. I finally figured out that I'm alcohol and possibly yeast intolerant because of this so I completely cut them out of my diet. Every time I drank, even one or two beers, I would be hungover for a week. Literally.

If your wife is still having problems with her digestive health I would suggest looking into Candida overgrowth and/or liver problems. Look up Candida Crusher, a naturopath based out of New Zealand, on Youtube. He has been researching this stuff for over 25 years and most mainstream doctors are clueless about natural remedies and will often make your problems worse by overprescribing the wrong meds.

He also has a bunch of info on liver and digestive organ health. There is a widespread movement on the internet comprised of people doing "flushes" or "detoxes" for their livers, gallbladders, and kidneys, and in turn curing their yeast overgrowths by strengthening their immune systems. I would also look into parasites as well if none of the above suffices. They can prevent your body from healing as well, but often don't show up on any lab tests.

I would also check out the curezone.org forums for an array of suggestions and case studies.

I'm just starting to pay attention to my health and now know why people say it is by far the most important part of your life. This is just some info I've comprised over the last few weeks. I'm nowhere near healed yet, and my fatigue is really hindering my ability to do much of anything fastlane or even school-related.

Hopefully my research is a step in the right direction though, and I hope your wife figured it out and is doing okay.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
She has a pretty clean bill of health now. She was never a heavy drinker and never on a lot of antibiotics. She just completed a lifelong goal and ran a 5k a couple of weeks ago. She has lost a significant amount of weight and she spends a lot of time down at the gym. I'm very proud of her.

So, I am sort of on the fence with the whole homeopathic movement. It's really hard to identify what is snake oil, and what is legitimate. I personally don't believe in detoxes, but my wife does. I think there needs to be a balance with what can be achieved with medicine vs foods. In my wifes case, we were never able to fully identify what would cause the underlying painful attack, but they are very far and few between now and can be managed with a small dose of flexeril (a muscle relaxer). We were able to discover this remedy after my wife described the pain to me as being almost like a spasm near her solar plexus area, just below her breast bone.. Since I was in a car accident earlier and had filled my prescription for the muscle relaxer, we figured it couldn't hurt to try. Sure as shit, her symptoms were gone in 10 minutes. It beat the hell out of running her to the ER every time this would happen. We were very lucky to find such an easy fix to such a crippling pain. Her doctor never once thought to try a muscle relaxer, but I think its because my wife never used the word spasm before. Obviously, there could be an improvement in the process of how to communicate symptoms to a doctor (another fast lane opportunity).

The thing that really bothers me is that there are sooooo many people out in the world that are trying to reach the fastlane. As a result, there are people selling snakeoil/semi-snakeoil products that are much better for the producers bank account than they are for the consumers health. The producers know that we desire to be healthy, and are much more interested in CONVINCING us that their products will give us good health, without actually delivering something substantial.

The sad thing is, for now, some people will have small lifespans, average lifespans, and long lifespans, with variable quality, and in some cases, there is very little TODAY that these folks can do about it. This weighs on my mind often.

Check out selfhacked.com . This guy actually mega doses a lot of products and gives his thoughts on them. I'm sure he is making some money, but I find a little bit of value on reading his posts.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
In particular, extreme fatigue/brain fog and digestive issues have been some things I've had to deal with the most. There are dozens of others I won't mention though.

I know I will sound like a broken record, but over four years ago I had ALL of the symptoms you named & waaaaay more. I tried a 30 day paleo challenge & had the best month of my adult life. The changes/improvements were SO drastic, I couldn't deny the correlation & never looked back. This is still one of the best things I've ever done for myself in my entire life. Do a little research on case studies & see if you can find others with your symptoms & how it affected them.

It changed my life & I can't say enough about the "paleo" way of eating -it's also called an auto-immune protocol diet or AIP. www.MarksDailyApple.com is a great place to start & there's a few cookbooks that helped me greatly, especially those first 30 days when half of my meals were blueberry muffins of spite, lol.

G

Guest24480

She has a pretty clean bill of health now. She was never a heavy drinker and never on a lot of antibiotics. She just completed a lifelong goal and ran a 5k a couple of weeks ago. She has lost a significant amount of weight and she spends a lot of time down at the gym. I'm very proud of her.

So, I am sort of on the fence with the whole homeopathic movement. It's really hard to identify what is snake oil, and what is legitimate. I personally don't believe in detoxes, but my wife does. I think there needs to be a balance with what can be achieved with medicine vs foods. In my wifes case, we were never able to fully identify what would cause the underlying painful attack, but they are very far and few between now and can be managed with a small dose of flexeril (a muscle relaxer). We were able to discover this remedy after my wife described the pain to me as being almost like a spasm near her solar plexus area, just below her breast bone.. Since I was in a car accident earlier and had filled my prescription for the muscle relaxer, we figured it couldn't hurt to try. Sure as shit, her symptoms were gone in 10 minutes. It beat the hell out of running her to the ER every time this would happen. We were very lucky to find such an easy fix to such a crippling pain. Her doctor never once thought to try a muscle relaxer, but I think its because my wife never used the word spasm before. Obviously, there could be an improvement in the process of how to communicate symptoms to a doctor (another fast lane opportunity).

The thing that really bothers me is that there are sooooo many people out in the world that are trying to reach the fastlane. As a result, there are people selling snakeoil/semi-snakeoil products that are much better for the producers bank account than they are for the consumers health. The producers know that we desire to be healthy, and are much more interested in CONVINCING us that their products will give us good health, without actually delivering something substantial.

The sad thing is, for now, some people will have small lifespans, average lifespans, and long lifespans, with variable quality, and in some cases, there is very little TODAY that these folks can do about it. This weighs on my mind often.

Check out selfhacked.com . This guy actually mega doses a lot of products and gives his thoughts on them. I'm sure he is making some money, but I find a little bit of value on reading his posts.
I've been having a ton of trouble with exactly what you're describing. It's difficult to tell who's the real deal and who's just trying to make a fast buck. I would have no problem forking up some of my money if the product worked for me, but I'm not willing to pay a scammer and validate his slimy business model. This is why I'm trying to reach out to anyone I can and do my own research.

Glad your wife is doing better.
I know I will sound like a broken record, but over four years ago I had ALL of the symptoms you named & waaaaay more. I tried a 30 day paleo challenge & had the best month of my adult life. The changes/improvements were SO drastic, I couldn't deny the correlation & never looked back. This is still one of the best things I've ever done for myself in my entire life. Do a little research on case studies & see if you can find others with your symptoms & how it affected them.

It changed my life & I can't say enough about the "paleo" way of eating -it's also called an auto-immune protocol diet or AIP. www.MarksDailyApple.com is a great place to start & there's a few cookbooks that helped me greatly, especially those first 30 days when half of my meals were blueberry muffins of spite, lol.
I'm following a similar diet at the moment but I try to limit fruits as well due to their sugar content. Unfortunately at this point in time I believe I have a yeast overgrowth from excessive antibiotic treatment. Many people dismiss this as a scam but there are hundreds of other people online who have the exact same symptoms and nearly all of them began showing up after an extended treatment of antibiotics. That's why I'm limiting fruit intake because apparently sugar feeds the yeast.

With that said, I'm still skeptical of all the people trying to make a fast buck off this condition on the internet so I'm just doing my own research and implementing it from there. Hopefully I can find some answers in my bloodwork too..I need to get that done ASAP.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I'm still skeptical of all the people trying to make a fast buck off this condition on the internet

There's way more free info/recipes out there than anything. Like the rest of life, do you own homework & actually try it for yourself. You can easily to a 30 day paleo challenge & never spend a dime on a cookbook or other information products online. There will always be people looking to make a fast buck, fortunately there are free resources out there for those willing to find them & take action.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The changes/improvements were SO drastic, I couldn't deny the correlation & never looked back. This is still one of the best things I've ever done for myself in my entire life.
I can echo the exact same experience. Going paleo was one of the top 5 things I've ever done for myself.

No more food coma. No more wasted afternoons after binge eating carbs. The only problem that I had was it caused me to lose TOO MUCH weight. That's when I started re-introducing more carbs, but still in moderation.
IMG_3150.png

G

Guest24480

I can echo the exact same experience. Going paleo was one of the top 5 things I've ever done for myself.

No more food coma. No more wasted afternoons after binge eating carbs. The only problem that I had was it caused me to lose TOO MUCH weight. That's when I started re-introducing more carbs, but still in moderation.
IMG_3150.png
Carbs are definitely necessary in moderation to maintain energy levels. The most effective are complex carbs like brown rice. Like you said though, in moderation.

Some ice cream every once and awhile can't hurt either :)

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Carbs are definitely necessary in moderation to maintain energy levels. The most effective are complex carbs like brown rice. Like you said though, in moderation.

Some ice cream every once and awhile can't hurt either :)

not true, there is only 1 mandated area of the body that must have glucose/which is a component of sugar...the BRAIN. And even that Mark's Daily Apple the orginal Primal guy discussed beyond that

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-glucose-does-your-brain-really-need/#axzz4CRhReANV

once you realize that insulin is a Fat Storage Hormone, you will realize that you really are eating sugars/carbs because of the perception of quick energy fix vs reality. Every time blood sugar rises, your body wants to convert the carbs into fat in your body. Worse it might perceive some of the processed sugars as toxins and yet again, will store in fat. So once again, unless you know you will be starving soon, why would you prefer carbs above fat and protein outside of veggies/live foods of course?

Everyone has a level of carbs they would want per day to feel kinda normal, but I suppose its much lower than we think as your body adapts or returns to lower more primal levels.

anyone who has done it can tell you, they feel better and less addicted to food on low processed/carb/grain diet . You remove candida, brain fog, toxins, and start adding real nutrition again, you'll be on your way. I will note minerals are also important and the way food companies hack your system is by always including salt on their snacks so that your body is fooled into thinking binging on salty/fat carb snacks will bring in minerals it wants outside of salt, since historically they were bundled like Sea Salt is with dozens of other trace minerals. Refined salt in the end will hurt you. real salt won't. but better to also get your minerals from plants

G

Guest24480

not true, there is only 1 mandated area of the body that must have glucose/which is a component of sugar...the BRAIN. And even that Mark's Daily Apple the orginal Primal guy discussed beyond that

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-glucose-does-your-brain-really-need/#axzz4CRhReANV

once you realize that insulin is a Fat Storage Hormone, you will realize that you really are eating sugars/carbs because of the perception of quick energy fix vs reality. Every time blood sugar rises, your body wants to convert the carbs into fat in your body. Worse it might perceive some of the processed sugars as toxins and yet again, will store in fat. So once again, unless you know you will be starving soon, why would you prefer carbs above fat and protein outside of veggies/live foods of course?

Everyone has a level of carbs they would want per day to feel kinda normal, but I suppose its much lower than we think as your body adapts or returns to lower more primal levels.

anyone who has done it can tell you, they feel better and less addicted to food on low processed/carb/grain diet . You remove candida, brain fog, toxins, and start adding real nutrition again, you'll be on your way. I will note minerals are also important and the way food companies hack your system is by always including salt on their snacks so that your body is fooled into thinking binging on salty/fat carb snacks will bring in minerals it wants outside of salt, since historically they were bundled like Sea Salt is with dozens of other trace minerals. Refined salt in the end will hurt you. real salt won't. but better to also get your minerals from plants
So will eating brown rice in strict moderation lessen my body's ability to heal itself? When I say moderation I'm talking very little, like a palm sized portion of brown rice a day on the side for dinner. Just something to compliment the amount of meats and veggies I've been eating. I really can't afford to lose huge amounts of weight as that's not my goal. My weight is perfectly healthy. My goal is simply to eliminate my Candida and all the symptoms that come with it.

Also what do you think about cleanses/flushes? I suspect my liver is part of the problem and I want to detox it. Are these scams propogated by snake-oil salesmen or do they hold legitimate merit? I first realized I had a problem because of my alcohol intolerance which is probably tied to the liver. Surely it isn't cleaning out the toxins from my body properly. I think I might pick up some probiotics and natural antifungal foods as well such as garlic. What do you think?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.