The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

HOT! How to use forums (and Facebook groups)

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Andy Black

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Had to bump this. This way too valuable.
Glad you found it valuable.

Curious what your main takeaways were, and what you'll do different.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

David Fitz

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Glad you found it valuable.

Curious what your main takeaways were, and what you'll do different.

Become the XYZ guy in the group. I joined a carpet cleaning group and I see one guy be constantly tagged as the Facebook ads guy. He must be getting a ton of business from that group.

Reuse content. People will ask the same questions so make a thread and then tag people in it and then post that thread on your other social platforms.

Just help people. Don't be spammy. I see it in the groups where guys come in and straight up ask "who needs help with their website" no one replies to them because it's spammy.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Become the XYZ guy in the group. I joined a carpet cleaning group and I see one guy be constantly tagged as the Facebook ads guy. He must be getting a ton of business from that group.

Reuse content. People will ask the same questions so make a thread and then tag people in it and then post that thread on your other social platforms.

Just help people. Don't be spammy. I see it in the groups where guys come in and straight up ask "who needs help with their website" no one replies to them because it's spammy.
Yes. Great takeaways.

Get bonus points if the group owner tags you when someone struggles with XYZ.

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I signed up to podpage.com a couple of days ago to create a website for a new podcast.

I joined the Facebook group and said hello.

This evening I saw a post by the founder of Podpage. Here's his post and my reply.

Did I say "I'm a Google Ads expert."?
No, I did "show, don't tell."

Am I trying to get him as a client?
No, I just helped him as best I could in one reply.

1628285229291.png

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I signed up to podpage.com a couple of days ago to create a website for a new podcast.

I joined the Facebook group and said hello.

This evening I saw a post by the founder of Podpage. Here's his post and my reply.

Did I say "I'm a Google Ads expert."?
No, I did "show, don't tell."

Am I trying to get him as a client?
No, I just helped him as best I could in one reply.

View attachment 39353
I defend my thinking in this podcast episode.

Curious who you side with.

Swantzify

New Contributor
Sep 30, 2021
How to use forums (and Facebook groups)

I'm going to braindump some of my learnings about using Forums and Facebook groups.

Spammers won't get it, but I'll direct them here and they may slow down long enough to learn something.

For those trying to "validate a need" (I kinda hate that phrase), then forums and Facebook groups are a fantastic resource. Not only do people nicely group themselves for you, but they'll chatter about problems and issues they have. They'll also ask questions and you can respond by answering them.

I've produced a ridiculous amount of evergreen content by chattering away in forums, noticing where I repeat myself, then creating threads to point to in future.

In case you didn't spot the parallel to building a business:
  1. I find and engage the market - where they are already.
  2. I respond to questions and problems people already have.
  3. I immediately help people instead of "building stuff".
  4. If I find myself answering the same question over and over again - I go create a solution that I can point people to all the time.
  5. Before I create the thread (solution) I already know it will help lots of people - because it's a need that many people have already had.
  6. The content (solution) was created out of solving real-world problems, rather than solving problems I think people have.
Added benefits:
  1. I immediately start getting known as "The XYZ Guy" - because I help people with XYZ.
  2. People already start reaching out to me about XYZ problem.
  3. People already start referring me to others who have XYZ problem.

Why create a blog and try and find out what content helps people and resonates with people when you can go help people immediately in a busy forum or Facebook group?

Why stare at a blank page struggling to create a new blog post when you can help people immediately in a forum or Facebook group?

Why try and get your blog ranked when a forum already has a much better SEO juice than you'll likely ever get.

Finally... if your goal is to help people and build relationships (hint: do this and get paid then you're in business), then why the feck don't you do that immediately instead of "building stuff"?
Hi Andy,

Just want to thank you for this very insightful information! I am currently reading Unscripted : The Great Rat Race Escape and it has been motivating me to just move the needle with my business each day and really think about things differently.

For this past month, I have challenged myself to brainstorm and research products ideas outside of my originally intended business model before the book. I also created a website and one of my challenges this month was to "start blogging on my website". So far, I have come up with numerous "ideas" for blog posts, published 1 blog post, and created a draft for another.

The idea with the blog post for me was to begin to "build an audience" without really knowing what that meant for me and exactly which audience I want to start talking to quite yet. To put it frankly, I haven't been super focused in one direction this month as most of my focus has just been learning and research (trying to figure out what to do).

After reading your initial post, and continuing to read through this thread, I now have a better idea of how to focus my time more efficiently based on the products "ideas" I currently have. So, once again, thanks for that!

Interestingly enough, my questions have been answered, and the main point of this response was just to say thanks and tell a bit of a story.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE  Freelance University: Solve Every Freelance Problem (Especially on Upwork)
FU. 4 DAYS. 50% OFF BLACK FRIDAY SALE! If you're an Upwork freelancer, you'd be a fool not to...
MARKETPLACE  You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
One year ago, I was just your average software developer who always consumed content about...
MARKETPLACE  For Sale: Food Brand with 4 Years of Happy Customers in a Fast-Growing Niche
So to get certified, it cost a fortune? How much exactly? That sucks that these "health...
MARKETPLACE  Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Fox's Web School helps you learn a specialized skill which you can use to get to Fastlane. It's...
MARKETPLACE  Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom