The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to use a Pay What You Want system?

Marketing, social media, advertising

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hey all!

So I've written a book a few weeks ago. I have no expectation of it reaching any Best Sellers lists, but I definitely think it will be a positive impact on those who read through it.

Right now it's up on the Kindle Store for $2.99/piece.

This is nice, I get a good margin off of it. But I'd rather move my sales to a website that I control (with a system that I control) and sell it as a .pdf

Upon doing this - I'd love to move to a "Pay what you want" type of structure.

Does anyone know how I could implement this?

I'm thinking to use Shopify, but I'm not adverse to Wordpress or other services.

Adurite

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
You could put it up as a free download and link your paypal with some copy explaining your reasoning for giving it for pay what you want.

The question is how are you going to get traffic to your site?

If you drive traffic your gonna lose money like no other.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure what system (or app, or whatever) specifically can handle this, but you'd absolutely want to put a "recommended amount" fairly prominently.

People hate making choices for themselves. Absolutely hate it. They get stressed, second guess themselves, go back and forth, and often choose to do nothing over making even the simplest choices.

Putting in something as simple as "Tell us how much you want to pay (most people pay around $5): $__.00" should make a huge difference.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
I'm not sure what system (or app, or whatever) specifically can handle this, but you'd absolutely want to put a "recommended amount" fairly prominently.

People hate making choices for themselves. Absolutely hate it. They get stressed, second guess themselves, go back and forth and often choose to do nothing over making even the simplest choices.

Putting in something as simple as "Tell us how much you want to pay (most people pay around $5): $__.00" should make a huge difference.

This! People also hate being left out, if you leave a recommended price - they know the amount "other people" are paying and don't want to be that person that pays less.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If given the option regardless of the content I have to believe most people would pick zero

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
If given the option regardless of the content I have to believe most people would pick zero

It seems they pay less:

"Overall, they bring in about 70 percent of a traditional store's revenue..."

Panera’s pay-as-you-go pricing experiment failed. Here’s how they could fix it.

Or they don't buy at all:

"If $5 seems unfairly low, people find it easier to maintain self-image by foregoing the purchase altogether," she wrote. "However, when the company sets the price at $5, there is no ambiguity about fairness, self-image concerns disappear, and people are happy to pay."

http://rady.ucsd.edu/docs/faculty/PNAS-2012-Gneezy-1120893109.pdf

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.