• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

how to take a product in mass production

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by newtothis, Mar 15, 2008.

1. newtothis

newtothis New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $107
    Hey every one,

Maybe someone done or know how I can take a product to mass production and then just sell it in stop and shops, Whole foods, etc.

Our business is cakes, my girl cooks cakes like nothing in US ever tired, they very unique, healthy, amazing tasting cakes based on European Recipes.

I want to help her to mass produce them with some cake manufacture, have them boxed, and try to sell them to big chain stores, and small as well.

No idea where to start. I tried to use “4 hour†approach but I just cant put it all together.

How do we go about testing it first?

How do I find companies who will mass produces it for us ?

How do we get them on a shelves of the store chains, restaurants, etc ?

I really appreciate all advices.

2. Jill

Jill Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $2,792
    I'm not at all familiar with the non-durables market, so take this with a grain of salt. But I am somewhat familiar with the luxury goods market. Your biggest challenge is going to be finding a way to make them as good as they are at home, but with a much longer shelf-life. Find other companies who do this well, and figure out who does their manufacturing.

What is your price point? I'm assuming that you're going after the luxury goods market? Major retail stores already have "X" linear feet of shelf-space allocated to "Y", in your case, ready-to-eat baked goods. Buying your product means that they will either have to increase that allocation, or cannibalize something that's not doing as well for them.

I wouldn't typically recommend this, as it will cut into your margin significantly. But I would set up a booth at regional gift markets, and cater to the boutique gift shops. This is always one of the busiest sections of a trade show / market because the buyers love the free samples! It's hard to make marketing recommendations without knowing more about the product, but I would also strive to get some free press by promoting them to magazines' gift-giving editions.

The problem with grocery store chains is that most of them already have a bakery. I'm assuming your price point will be higher, so you'll have to carve your own niche of exclusivity, using the "Old World European" charm angle. My 2 cents.

3. newtothis

newtothis New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $107
    How are you,

I was actually looking for the process of selling in the frozen section and maybe restaurants too.

Mainly how can I find a manufacture that will mass produce it for me and box it. So it can be sold to other places.

4. PEERless

PEERless Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $92
    I agree to approaching the current manufacturers of currently successful food companies. Or, sell the recipe to someone else. This seems like a high-cost-of-entry industry.

5. Z5 FILMS

Z5 FILMS Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $251

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.