The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to start?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Yashvi Divecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 5, 2017
India
Hello,
I recently came up with an idea and it involves aspects from Physics and Chemistry.
It goes completely technical.
I have got a degree in accounting and taxation and have no knowledge about the topics in physics and chemistry. I am very eager to learn about it and implement them.
Please help me how I can gain knowledge about these subjects or any blogs, websites, forums I can follow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
Hi @Yashvi Divecha welcome to the forum! :)

Have you read The Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted ? Honestly, that is the best place to start on the process of figuring out if your idea is worth exploring further.

What @Dunkafelics wants to say is that you should first check whether your idea will give value to other people.

To your question : why don't you goole forums about chemistry and physics and ask your questions there? Learning it yourself could be difficult depending on how good you are in these subjects already but if you want to find out for yourself why not google for books on the topics that interest you? :smile:

Oh yeah and definitly go on and read the books they are worth it :smile2:

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
I would really recommend reading Unscripted as well. I do believe that it has the tools that if applied correctly can separate one from being a dreamer to being a creator.

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
@Lafandriel
Thank You for the suggestion.
Can you help me with some good books on the topics.

I would love to help you ... unfortunately I have absolutely no clue when it comes to chemistry and physics ( they both were not among my favorite subjects in school :happy: )

That's why I suggested you look for a chemistry or physics forum... I hope you will get the information you need :smile:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Hey maybe you can ask @ZF Lee for advice about physics :)

By the way how is your research going so far? :smile:
What???? You give me the laughs. But thanks. Since you referred to me, I must tell you the harsh but real world of physics.
Although I am very much interested in physics and like its beauty and complexities, I will leave the deeper works for after Fastlane success.
Physics in the real world has been contaminated and killed by the SCRIPT, concerning its applications.
It's not enough to like Physics, take classes in college for it, and get a nice paying job in engineering or a physics related field.
I have received a lot of complaints from Fastlaners and SCRIPT peers alike that you just end up a grunt doing paperwork, research or planning work that never puts good money in your pocket or liberty.
Most engineers or physics people find themselves trapped working for money or promotions rather than discovery or creation, courtesy of the SCRIPTED corporations and organisations.
I'm not gonna dig the statistics, but there's a very high level for stress and general unhappiness around the physics-orientated field, namely the engineering disciplines.

That was why I dropped Physics from my present semester for Economics, which is more relevant for Fastlane ventures. Don't get me wrong, I scored relatively well at it and I have no grudges against it. But I don't want to take a path that destroys my love for the subject

But that being said, if you have the mental strength and the tenacity, not to forget your unique aims, go right into physics. It's a numbers game, and some vital concepts like heat, motion and pressure tend to be repeated over and over again, albeit with more deeper discussions and application pathways as you progress. Some Fastlane routes that involve advanced construction techniques ( real estate). architectural disciplines or high tech stuff (Elon Musk orientated fields) would definitely need a formal Physics education. But IMO, physics is pretty intuitive, a subject that is best mastered with your hands than on paper.

You might remember from UNSCRIPTED and TMF that many inventors did not have physics degrees, let alone a formal education.

Next to accounting, the languages and maths, I am going to say that Physics is a very Fastlane orientated subject, the SCRIPT and the harsh market reality aside.

EDIT: You might want to look in the inventions threads, lots of actionable stuff, hook yourself up on Discovery channel and Youtube technicals. My favourites were the series of videos on making robots with magnets...I watched them to learn how DC motors works.

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
You have to be way more specific about learning physics and chemistry for your "idea". If you're inventing something new, undergraduate physics and chemistry is most likely not enough to implement to real life work.
No one can help you if you're not specific about what you're trying to pursue.
If your idea has to do with mixing chemicals, then obviously you wouldn't be learning about mechanics or electromagnetism.
I can help you if you're specific about your idea.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
I have a degree in Physics, worked as an engineer for a while and have in the past started a company in the chemical engineering field (B2B clean tech).

There is very little context to go on, I don't know if what you're trying to do is extremely basic chemistry, or would require research and patents, so I'll try and add some generic advice that I successfully followed myself when starting up a business with a complex high tech product that required patents.

If you have 0 background in physics or chemistry and the understanding you need exceeds high school level, don't try to figure it out yourself at first, speak with experts first, most people love to talk about their field of expertise. Once they give you a clear idea about whether or not something is possible, you can deep dive into the right books to learn what you need.

There are a few questions you should answer, question 1 and 3 below are the first questions to answer.

Q1: does what you want to create provide value in the eyes of your target customer? Answer this by speaking, face to face, with potential customers. And figure out how much value you would create for them, this indicates your potential revenue per customer.

Q2: why has no one who has a background in physics or chemistry figured out to do what you want to do? The answer to this question determines if you have a premise for a business. This could be as simple as: the people who would use it and pay for it, are not aware of technologies that could solve their problem Or the macro world changed and something that was not profitable before is profitable now (rising commodity costs make new recycling technology suddenly economically viable). Or is it because the fundamental technology is too expensive compared to the benefits? This will become clearer as you speak with potential customers.

Q3: is what you're trying to do is technically possible, do fundamental physics support that what you're trying to do is possible? The best way I've found to answer this question is to speak with practitioners or researchers in the field (physics and chemistry are extremely broad and diverse fields). For example, if you're looking to create a new type of solar panel, speak with semiconductor and nanotechnology researchers. Even if you know it's possible, speak with practitioners to figure out how they would solve the issue you're trying to solve, this can provide extremely valuable insight into the problem you're solving.

Q4: get a rough idea of the cost and benefit of the technology, and compare it with the cost and benefit of the closest alternative and see if the cost benefit makes sense on paper, and if there is a healthy business model in there, either as a service using the new technology or selling widgets based on the tech. This you need to figure out yourself based on the responses from potential customers and practitioners.

Last edited:

Yashvi Divecha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
May 5, 2017
India
@jpn
Your third question covers my idea.
I am looking forward in making a new type of solar panel and merge it with the Airconditioners.
There are people out there definitely working upon the same idea but I want to go further with my project.
I have talked to many people around you meet on daily basis, this concept will benefit the life of many people as AC's have become a necessity in the hottest regions here.
My idea is not specific upto AC's but this is where I want to start with.

@Carnage
This is my idea and I want to enhance my knowledge both theoretical and practical on these concepts.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
In this case I would definitely try and get in touch with researchers into solar panels, semiconductors and a physical chemist who specializes in heat exchange fluids if you want to use new technology to improve existing solutions. Forget about learning the physics until you know clearly where you will be making your improvements.

And (not to deter) a warning, it is often a long and expensive road to try and build something new and innovative if this requires research and development. While you may be able to source a solution 90% as good from a factory in Germany or China.

It's also good that what you're trying to accomplish is already technically possible and being done in a (possibly) less efficient way. This also allows you to look at business model innovations instead of just technical innovations. The goal is to be able to solve the needs of your customer better than current solutions. This may not require technology.

I don't know what your exact plans are. But to give an example of business mode innovation: perhaps you're trying to make solar powered air conditioning cheaper to buy, or cheaper to operate and sell that to end consumers or industrial users as a better product than what is currently there. The reason for them to buy from you would be that they would save costs. A business model innovation could be a pay per use model, raise capital to purchase and pre install existing less efficient solar powered ac's and charge per use. The end result: lower costs, would still be achieved, but it does not require using new technology. A company called Electric Africa is doing something similar in Eastern Africa.

Another benefit of this approach is that you do not need to become an expert on photovoltaics and thermodynamics.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that innovation based on fundamentally new technologies are very hard and expensive to get to market. The same result can often be achieved by using existing systems in a new way. So be careful that you're not trying to solve a business model problem with technical innovation. Once you have a running business based on business model innovation it becomes easier to hire people to do the technical innovation for you and reap the benefits of those improvements yourself.

Feel free to hit me up on PM if you want to go into more detail, it's hard to be specific about how to start without more details :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.