The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to reboot after a blue screen?

Share your FTE moment...

audman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 29, 2008
Ok I am new here. I don't want to be all boohoo and cramp the style here. I have been reading the success and failures stories. I know that failure comes along with it. I am unemployed right now have been for about two months and we need the second income. I really don't know what to do. I once ran a business in the area and miss running a business.
I am following through the motions like anyone else would but not getting too many bites. I am really thinking now would be the time that I probably will have to start a new business to survive. I am draining resources quickly just trying to keep the ship on course. We are bleeding badly. Cut expenses but our debts (school loans) are a bear. So that is where I am. I have been really digging into myself and I think that is distracting me from growing in that fastlane type of way. I have a stronger belief in myself than I did 5 years ago but what mental techniques have you used to clear your mind of the self destructive or distracting.
It is easy to sit in the fishbowl and see just what is around the fishbowl.$ I live in Buffalo, New york, a dying city so I am thinking my only real route around this area would be to do something online or develop products to market. I cannot seem to find a passion or project yet that I can produce here to make a living. I have not found anything employment wise that I would give my heart and soul for. My wife seems to want to stay and she has a good paying job for this area but it is not enough for us to run the show.

I don't mean to ramble but any advice would be great.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
How to reboot after a blue screen?

I love your sense of humor.

If my wife was here, she would sit you and yours down at the kitchen table and tell you to:

1.) Get clear about what you REALLY want.
2.) Phrase it in terms of a "How can I xxxxx?" question. (examples: "How can we become debt free in 12 months?" or "How can we create a passive income of $5,000 a month?")

TAKE ACTION with the first obvious baby step in the direction you want to get to, and don't stop when things feel bad.

#1 is the key.

All the best!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome to the fastlane audman. I hear you and you sound real down right now. I know we don't talk about it much around here but, hey, you have to take care of you and your family. There is nothing wrong with a job if it is part of your strategy and not the end game. It really sounds like you need a plan. It just so happens that we have that. Here's a link.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/your-goals-your-fastlane-plan/544-how-develop-your-plan.html

You also need to spend some time reading the success stories. If you do you will find that most of us here have worked at some real crappy jobs just to eat and to keep the dream alive. You may even say that you want a job you don't like to keep you motivated and focused on your goals. Good luck.

audman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 29, 2008
Right now I have to bring in a minimum of 1200 a month additional income to break even. I don't expect to have much luck searching the corner for a dropped scratchoff ticket for said amount. I guess to answer #1 is my objective for the next 24 hours. I will start by consulting that fortune cookie that is left in the snack drawer. IF that does not yield anything then I will play hurricane shots. To play that game you have to take a shot when they show geraldo rivera getting knocked down during the news on fox. Right now I am trying to silly my way out of this glut the best way possible and then maybe #1 will be closer to my life. However #1 happens whenever I drink too much water.:smx6: I appreciate the advice jonleehacker :thankyousign:

Thanks to runum for the great link too. After I get through my insanity this evening I will happily go through the instructions there. If I don't laugh I think I might cry

Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
OK let's do the math. You need to net 1200 a month. Est. gross around 1800 a month. 1800/4.3 = ~420 a week gross. 420/40 = 10.5 per hour at 40 hours per week. If you work 50 hours you get paid for 55 hours so 420/55 = 7.63/hour. You are telling me that you absolutely cannot find any job that can pay you between $7.63 and $10.50 per hour so that you can have some peace of mind?

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
audman,

I know things seem hard and blurry, but you have tons of opportunities. They're everywhere, just hard to see if you don't know where to look.

Try to sit down alone and actually plan how to get there. It takes sacrifice and dedication.

I know you want to take that step, but make sure you fully comprehend what you'll get yourself into and try to minimize that risk.

I recommend you get any type of job possible and keep looking for better oppurtunities as they come. In the meantime, work on your plan and take immediate action on getting closer to your goals. You can do it.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

audman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 29, 2008
Yes it was a hard night last night. Got 4 hours sleep max. I have actually been going after the lowest hanging fruit. I have two little girls to take care of and that limits the shifts that I can go after to 5pm to 7am weekdays because my wife works and I would have to offset 250 dollars additional a week for daycare costs if I were to go for 8-5pm.

I have hit every retailer and even went to places I had a good history with and they just are not hiring. I am trying customer service (which i have done in the past and which could cover some of the daycare costs but not all) and temp agencies in hopes to narrow the gap. I think some of it is I worked for the government and maybe they think I am overqualified. I was part time seasonal for them and am now waiting hopeing to get more work with them. Even then though I was losing money on daycare. That is why it is not so cut and dry.

I need two jobs one overnight and I expected to find a retailer with openings but that is slow since i would be able to keep all of the pay from them. Then part time or weekends with second job. Squeeze in some sleep during the day and I would have been set. My wifes job pays better than anything she would get if she changed jobs so it makes it hard to say lets move because our liabilities and so forth would still exist. I have to take an hard step in the direction of progress and not sink back into the abyss. I have spent alot of time trying to simplify my life in order to focus on making that progress making responsibilities more autonomous and so forth so maintance does not slide. I will be working on those threads you guys recommended.

I think a hard reboot maybe even an whole new computer is in order but I have to reprogram myself to be open to the pain of change. I have grown more resistant to pain and I am realizing that I am not complacent and that I won't put myself on sale. I have 3 interviews monday for CS jobs which I hope to narrow the gap with since my other sure things have been anything but. Any ideas of sources for products that actually have resale value to get through this. If you have any please pm them to me or post them. It is frustrating when you get nothing but run around. "oh check back in two more weeks." I was told last night I applied in july. I am going to go broke and I pushed myself hard everyday I worked at this place.

They could get me in but they are not trying too hard. It isn't helping me very much and I can tell they are just giving me bs answers. You can tell when they start talking fast and push the blame to other managers. "Oh I have to wait for permission." I was told. I talked to someone in human resources for the company that the managers themselves have to do the interviews. Which is the complete opposite of what I was told by the one that was blaming others. So that is what pushed me over the edge. Even if they were not lying and it will be two weeks it doesn't mean I will stop working towards my goal. I have two girls to feed. I can have my pity party but today is my new day so I am moving on and if they call me I might consider it "but maybe in 2 weeks." I am taking it kinda personal when I shouldn't but I am just a passionate guy.

I really thank you guys for all of the advice and kind support. I am used to the rejection side but when you put so much pressure on yourself sometimes you burst and I have. I love this board and thank you all again. Any ideas for decent yield services I could perform in a semi depressed area?

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Audman, first off welcome to The Fastlane. You are going to find that the advice you find here is second to none. Secondly, its great to see another face from my area. I live in Williamsville, so we aren't but a few miles away from each other. Where in the Buffalo area do you live?

To get to your problem, my opinion - although NOT fastlane by any means, is to get back into government work as soon as you possibly can. While doing your own thing may be a long-term goal for you, what you seem to need right now is *security* and, given the right job w/in the gov't., that is exactly what you will get. My fiance and I are both federal employees and we make a very desirable amount of money, especially for the area. We are pretty much living the lives that we want to be living right now. Even with only one of our salaries, we would still be in pretty good shape.

But, depending on your goals and your plan, my advice would be to only use such a job as a stepping stone to bigger and better things - read: going fastlane. That is my plan. Family and supporting them has to be priority #1. The rest will follow.

What kind of work did you used to do w/in the government? You would likely be at the front of the line for most full-time government jobs with experience.

Andy

audman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 29, 2008
I am in the city of tonawanda. I did work part time seasonal for the IRS call center. Still waiting on them about coming back. Applying at other agencies and so forth. Every one has been great. I will keep updating about my reboot. I don't know if there is a place for it where a thread about things of that matter would go. I will probably make a blog somewhere in the near future to allow me to hold myself accountable on goals. So look for that in my sig when that is ready. Do any of you guys do blogs?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
First, I'd step on to the playing field. I like to use cars and baseball as analogies because people are familiar with them. If you aren't playing on the ballfield, you can't hit home runs, let alone singles.

To get on the ballfield, you incorporate and start a business. Don't know what business to start yet? That's ok. Incorporating puts you on the ballfield and creates a legion of tax benefits. You can start a internet company with no money ... check out the 30 Day Challenge to start ... many folks here have said great things about it.

You can have a variety of jobs and also have a corporation.

audman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
May 29, 2008
Yeah I have been getting the rudder pushing the ship in the right direction. I am taking some courses online through a community college (accounting, marketing and investing) I am hopeing to get a better understanding of fundamentals. That should keep me and any business out of tax and other money problems due to lack of rule knowledge. I am still trying to getting some cashflow. I have a list of a couple of things I can do with little money that I might enjoy and make the ends meet. I need to stop the bleeding though before it is too late. The interviews seemed to go alright. I hope to hear something soon but I have to keep pushing the ball forwards. I want to get through those threads and really apply them to this phase of changing. Everything goes rigt somedays and then others the panic attack like feelings set in. The self doubt creep in. I know I am going to get through but it is almost like a virus. It sets in and then does its damage and then leaves. It also can leave a bad taste.... Right now I think I have us positioned to be good through the end of november if nothing gets better. If I cannot get something locked by then their is something seriously wrong. I want my job to allow me to gain skills in an business related area that I have not explored earlier which maybe can help with the business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.