The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to not save money.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Im working as a intern. Monthly pay = 1200 dollar/month.

My friend is working full time. Monthly pay = 2500 dollar/month.

I save around 600 dollars each month after paying rent, food and other expenses.

He saves around 700 dollars each month after paying rent, food and expenses.

We live together so pay same amount of rent. Where the rest of his money go i don't know.

Why waste money on worthless stuff?!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Don't assume it goes directly to worthless stuff, you never know where it goes man, I paid $800 last month directly to my dads credit card debt

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
the thing is. Saving money is not going to make me rich. But saving money has given me the opportunity to try some business ideas without worrying about not having money left.

Also if i would lose my job or anything because i have been saving money i could basically be without a job for 1-2 years and still survive.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
It doesn't matter what others are doing. It matters what you are doing.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014

Unless you're married or somehow on the hook for someone else's spending, it's important to not give a rat's a$$.

Not giving a rat's a$$ is important to success in business, life, and relationships.

I practice not giving a rat's a$$ every day, and with continued dedication over the years, I've managed to train myself to give less and less of a rat's a$$ every year.

I'll be coming out with a 12 week course this month called "I Don't Give a Rat's a$$, and You Won't Either". MSRP will be 13 easy payments of 89.99

For people that want faster learning, I'll fly them to Texas for one-on-one coaching with me. You can follow me around for an entire weekend, and see just how much I don't give a rat's a$$. Price TBD.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Lol how do you know that's what he saves? I imagine the conversation went like this:

"Hey Roomie, guess what? I save $600 a month! How much do you save?"

Roommate: "$700".

"Hey Roomie, I can benchpress 100 lbs! How much can you lift?"

Roommate: "200lbs"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where the rest of his money go i don't know.

How do you know the details of what he saves? Is he rolling in the apartment with new shoes, new computers, new clothes, and using the excess for consumption? I can see that conclusion if the empirical evidence indicates as such.

alecs

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 23, 2013
United Kingdom
You should really focus on yourself. It's a waste of time thinking what other people are doing with their money. Maybe he doesn't have the same mindset .. who knows.
Anyway, you can't just assume where it goes. I've been saving for a while but I don't have much, because I got my mom out of debt and saved her home. Also started / failed 2 businesses in almost 4 years ... so someone could say the same about me, I've been working very hard but I still don't have a lot saved. They don't know the whole story though. And they don't have to.

dimraj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Nov 30, 2016
Seriously just focus on your own lane, why do you care what he saves? You need to get out of the mindset that you are better than others just because they dont have the same fastlane mindset as you.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Just curious too... how do you even live on $600 a month?

I know that some people dramatically cut their expenses, but I spend nearly that much on food alone.

The fact you save 50% of your income is awesome - but go quintuple it and keep the savings rate the same!

_Seba_

AAA
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jun 24, 2015
Germany

I know that some people dramatically cut their expenses, but I spend nearly that much on food alone.

The fact you save 50% of your income is awesome - but go quintuple it and keep the savings rate the same!

Living on $600/mth isn't comfortable, but it's also not too hard. Shared rent, no car and noodles - that's it.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Fair enough... you might want some vegetables in that diet plan though! ;)

I remember hearing Elon Musk did a 30 day test to see if he could eat / live on $1 / day (without getting scurvy). Good to know you can handle the worst if it comes to that haha.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014

I know. My meaning was not to show that im better than anyone. This is my best friend and we have known each other for as long as i can remember.

I wanted to show that you can save money even if you only earn a little...

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014

Rent : 220 dollar
Food : 250 dollar ( maybe a little more some months)
Gym : 12 dollar
Card so i can travel by buss and train : 73 dollar
Phone subscription : 27 dollar

These are my expenses. Some month i save less, some month i save more.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Seriously just focus on your own lane, why do you care what he saves? You need to get out of the mindset that you are better than others just because they dont have the same fastlane mindset as you.

I dont care if he saves money or not. Its to show people that you can save money.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
You should really focus on yourself. It's a waste of time thinking what other people are doing with their money. Maybe he doesn't have the same mindset .. who knows.
Anyway, you can't just assume where it goes. I've been saving for a while but I don't have much, because I got my mom out of debt and saved her home. Also started / failed 2 businesses in almost 4 years ... so someone could say the same about me, I've been working very hard but I still don't have a lot saved. They don't know the whole story though. And they don't have to.

Im glad that you helped your mom. Would do the same. He does not have the same mindset, thus i wanted to show people that you can indeed save money even if you dont earn that much.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014

I love this forum because people will not buy anything. Anything you say you have to back it up.

Im not better than him nor anyone else. Matter of fact i dont even have the fastlane mindset. Saving is more slow lane mindset.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Lol how do you know that's what he saves? I imagine the conversation went like this:

"Hey Roomie, guess what? I save $600 a month! How much do you save?"

Roommate: "$700".

"Hey Roomie, I can benchpress 100 lbs! How much can you lift?"

Roommate: "200lbs"

How i know much much he saves? Well, we talk? He tells me stuff?

Kidding..Ive hacked his computer.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Just for clarification guys. My meaning with this post was simply to show people that you can save money even as an intern. And that at least for ME it has given me some kind cushion, to fall back on.

I dont not mean to show that im better than anyone on anything...

I shall focus on myself. Thanks young padawans

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Unless you're married or somehow on the hook for someone else's spending, it's important to not give a rat's a$$.

Not giving a rat's a$$ is important to success in business, life, and relationships.

I practice not giving a rat's a$$ every day, and with continued dedication over the years, I've managed to train myself to give less and less of a rat's a$$ every year.

I couldn't agree more.

Everybody lives in their own worlds - even we do, at least for others.

I regularly get asked by my sidewalk and slowlane friends for advice on specific things.

I used to really get into this and pour my heart and soul into giving valuable advice.

Only to be completely ignored.

After many hands got burned, some of them - very few though - make a mental turnaround and suddenly try to sell me my own advice as their experiences.

I stopped giving a f@ck.

If somebody doesn't appreciate the time you invest, never mind.

Protect yourself @mosdef.

Protect yourself by not giving a rat's a$$, to quote @G-Man.

I live by the following quote:

"What Others Think About You Is None Of Your Business" - Unknown.

You can flip that around and apply it to anything in life.

And as @Argue said, it's about you.

And about nobody else.

Focus on you and cut the rest.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Id focus on making more money.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Rent : 220 dollar
Food : 250 dollar ( maybe a little more some months)
Gym : 12 dollar
Card so i can travel by buss and train : 73 dollar
Phone subscription : 27 dollar

These are my expenses. Some month i save less, some month i save more.

While this is great that you can live on such a low amount. It probably isn't optimal to live a happy life. Now that you have this skill, imagine how much you can save if you made $5000 a month.

Remember that saving money can be unhealthy too. Do you eat well at $250? Do you have fun during the month? Are you depressed? etc...

The amount you save is not the always bottom line.

I think you can do this a few months, but year after year would be miserable.

SwissTuxedo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 8, 2016

I'll be coming out with a 12 week course this month called "I Don't Give a Rat's a$$, and You Won't Either". MSRP will be 13 easy payments of 89.99

For people that want faster learning, I'll fly them to Texas for one-on-one coaching with me. You can follow me around for an entire weekend, and see just how much I don't give a rat's a$$. Price TBD.

The way this response was worded sparked my curiosity.

G-man, let's say I'm your average Joe, who lives a boring mundane life because I give too much of a f*** what others think about it.

I talk myself out of approaching the cute girl in line at starbucks, the thought of asking my boss for a raise scares the crap out of me and I absolutely need everyone to like me so my perfect litte ego can feel validated.

Why would I buy you're 12 week course for $1170.00 ? How would it help me " to not give a Rat's a$$" ?

Thanks,
ST

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
The way this response was worded sparked my curiosity.

G-man, let's say I'm your average Joe, who lives a boring mundane life because I give too much of a f*** what others think about it.

I talk myself out of approaching the cute girl in line at starbucks, the thought of asking my boss for a raise scares the crap out of me and I absolutely need everyone to like me so my perfect litte ego can feel validated.

Why would I buy you're 12 week course for $1170.00 ? How would it help me " to not give a Rat's a$$" ?

Thanks,
ST

I've come up with a product just for you. Scratch 13 easy payments of 89.99. For only 6 easy payments of 49.99, I'll send you the "Be Your Own Boss and Don't Give a Rat's a$$" starter kit.

With my course, you'll have all the tools you need to teach others how to not gives a rat's a$$. Once you've completed the course, you can license my materials for only 49.99/week. Only 49.99/week to be your own boss! Teaching others to not give a rat's a$$ will lead you to financial independence, and for each Rat's a$$ Consultant you sign up to my program, I'll give you a $80 commission.

You could make millions!

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
While this is great that you can live on such a low amount. It probably isn't optimal to live a happy life. Now that you have this skill, imagine how much you can save if you made $5000 a month.

Remember that saving money can be unhealthy too. Do you eat well at $250? Do you have fun during the month? Are you depressed? etc...

The amount you save is not the always bottom line.

I think you can do this a few months, but year after year would be miserable.

Totally agree. Could become boring after a while. But Feels good to know that it's possible and that you still can live in one of the most expensive countries in the world with only 600 dollars..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.