The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Move On In Spite Of Criticism From Your Family & Friends Of Your Failures?

Anything related to matters of the mind

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Don't know the prefix to this thread so I thought I would leave it blank.

Even though I'm a mentally and emotional strong person that hardly ever cares what people think - because no matter what, I'm going to do what I want to do anyways - peoples idea of how I should forward from my failures are starting to affect the way I move forward with my ideas, THAT I FEEL, in my heart, is the right thing way for me to move forward.

This thread isn't about me deciding what I want to do, because on the contrary, I already know what I have to do.

Its more about how to handle your family and friends opinion of your current failures and moving forward. People that have no idea what you're truly trying to do and you explaining it to them, but still give the same redundant advice over and over again. Also it doesn't help when you don't have a degree and they do. It's all about getting a degree.

Why not get a degree? Because, I told myself I can succeed without one. Truly a personal choice. I have no problem with degrees or people that have them.

Could I get a degree? Yes I could. But since I told myself I can succeed without one, I don't want to give in to the pressure just because things aren't going my way.

Taking action and LEARNING is what I want to do. I don't want to keep learning new things because it may become another form of mental masturbation. No point of learning new things if you have no idea of how to implement it now or in the very near future, IMHO.

I want to take action and make shit happen, but there criticisms keep getting in the way.

So is there a way I can move forward with these criticisms from family members and friends? Which may get stronger and heavier as I keep progressing forward?

How have all you accomplished this?

Suppressing these feelings is a quick fix to deeper problem. I want to move on with the feelings and not waste too much time contemplating and day dreaming of, "what if things were different?".

I'm wasting a lot of my time thinking, contemplating, and day dreaming, instead of taking enough action to really progress me forward.

Thought I would make this thread since it may help out other people with the same dilemma.

P.S. Also, the thread title may need a little work. It's kind of correct but not really. I had an idea for it, but that is the closest I could think of. Too many things on my mind currently.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
You've answered your own question:
I want to take action and make shit happen.

Make shit happen. Don't talk about it, show it. Also, getting a degree isn't always a bad idea. If you continue to procrastinate, post on forums and not take any action you'll be needing a degree to secure an income.

Nothing personal.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
will-smith.jpg

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
My biggest tip? Stop thinking and just do something. So often I get trapped in these cycles of thinking and feeling like shit about myself, and then thinking about how to make it better, but then feeling like shit even more because I don't have a solution. All of that goes away when I just do SOMETHING. Whether its washing the car, setting up a freelancing profile and applying for jobs, or going grocery shopping, stay busy. When you're always busy you'll be forced to cut the BS, but for now just do anything that keeps you busy and productive.

Tip #2? Don't romanticize "entrepreneurship" and make things harder for yourself than they need to be. I fell into this trap pretty early on. I convinced myself (albeit unconsciously!) that my family didn't support me, college was bullshit, I had to fail to succeed, etc. etc. Thinking I was an "entrepreneur" almost killed me. But then I realized, holy F*ck, I'm totally screwing myself here. If I don't want people to know about my failures? I don't tell them I'm doing anything until I succeed. I don't want to be in college? Then I'll take advantage of every opportunity while I'm here until I don't need to be. And so it goes. You don't have to be or do anything special. Stop thinking you're an entrepreneur and just be a person.

If nothing else: Stop F*cking thinking haha. Don't suppress or anything. Just be too busy to think. I used to do the exact same thing, sitting around telling myself that I was "planning" and once I knew what to do I would finally do something. F*ck plans and goals for now. Just DO something. Anything. I promise you'll feel better.

EDIT: Also F*ck learning. I would recommend washing a car for 30 minutes to reading some useless business/mindset/insert other category here book for the same 30 minutes. Learn when you otherwise literally cannot do something that you need to. Sitting around "accumulating knowledge" is a waste of time.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Even tho im doing well for myself semi fastlane,

Parents still would like to call me "marklov" the lawyer or something.

Chalk it up to old fashioned-ness I guess.

The only thing I dont like when i'm around my family is to explain what I do
over and over again they cant seem to wrap their head around it.

Everyone in life has different ideals and opinions.

No matter how bad or inefficient a method was for someone once it
worked even a little for them that's what they'll mostly stick too.

Sometimes peoples identity is even attached to it so it can get
messy when challenged

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
You've answered your own question:

Make shit happen. Don't talk about it, show it. Also, getting a degree isn't always a bad idea. If you continue to procrastinate, post on forums and not take any action you'll be needing a degree to secure an income.

Nothing personal.
On the contrary I hardly ever post lol. But touchè, I agree. And no offense taken.
I think thats the wrong quote for what I'm talking about haha. But definitely one with a good message behind it.
My biggest tip? Stop thinking and just do something. So often I get trapped in these cycles of thinking and feeling like shit about myself, and then thinking about how to make it better, but then feeling like shit even more because I don't have a solution. All of that goes away when I just do SOMETHING. Whether its washing the car, setting up a freelancing profile and applying for jobs, or going grocery shopping, stay busy. When you're always busy you'll be forced to cut the BS, but for now just do anything that keeps you busy and productive.

Tip #2? Don't romanticize "entrepreneurship" and make things harder for yourself than they need to be. I fell into this trap pretty early on. I convinced myself (albeit unconsciously!) that my family didn't support me, college was bullshit, I had to fail to succeed, etc. etc. Thinking I was an "entrepreneur" almost killed me. But then I realized, holy F*ck, I'm totally screwing myself here. If I don't want people to know about my failures? I don't tell them I'm doing anything until I succeed. I don't want to be in college? Then I'll take advantage of every opportunity while I'm here until I don't need to be. And so it goes. You don't have to be or do anything special. Stop thinking you're an entrepreneur and just be a person.

If nothing else: Stop F*cking thinking haha. Don't suppress or anything. Just be too busy to think. I used to do the exact same thing, sitting around telling myself that I was "planning" and once I knew what to do I would finally do something. F*ck plans and goals for now. Just DO something. Anything. I promise you'll feel better.
Thanks for the advice!

For me to move forward I have to understand why I am doing it on some level. Doing things blind doesn't give me a clear picture of what to do after I start doing something. If I understand my why I get a better idea of how to execute. But that doesn't mean I'm able to execute it just how I have envisioned it. That hardly ever happens.

Yeah, I do my best to stay busy, but that doesn't mean it's progressing me forward to my end goal in mind.
Even tho im doing well for myself semi fastlane,

Parents still would like to call me "marklov" the lawyer or something.

Chalk it up to old fashioned-ness I guess.

The only thing I dont like when i'm around my family is to explain what I do
over and over again they cant seem to wrap their head around it.

Everyone in life has different ideals and opinions.

No matter how bad or inefficient a method was for someone once it
worked even a little for them that's what they'll mostly stick too.

Sometimes peoples identity is even attached to it so it can get
messy when challenged
True stuff. It's difficult for me to see other peoples opinions at times as well. So I understand where you're coming from.

A lot of family members have degrees and are engineers, doctors, lawyers, cpas, and so on. Not bad people, actually awesome people, but explaining what you're doing to them and telling them it hasn't worked out exactly like you would've hoped is like talking to a brick wall. Some of the advice is good but majority of it, I just take with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
What people think does not matter.

Because people do not think at all. It is the herd principle at work.

people's behaviour are kind of an insult considering the human potential in them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_mentality

But approval of reality is the thing that matters.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Don't know the prefix to this thread so I thought I would leave it blank.

I'm wasting a lot of my time thinking, contemplating, and day dreaming, instead of taking enough action to really progress me forward.

But anyway, the death of the dollar is coming because it is fiat currency and history says that fiat money always collapse

always

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_money

so, we won't be rich anyway.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I want to take action and make shit happen, but there criticisms keep getting in the way.
How is this possible? It sounds like playing the part of a victim is getting in your way.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
How is this possible? It sounds like playing the part of a victim is getting in your way.
Yeah, I do seem like I'm blaming someone else for my lack of actions aren't I? Since I am very self aware and objective with myself, I know I do get in my own way. Even though I know what to do, at times when people start questioning my decisions I get very indecisive and have a tendency to not stand firm with my original decision, because they made valid points that make me start questioning my own reasoning behind why I should move forward with that idea and start to execute (analysis paralysis).

While I have made greater leaps of faith, executing my own business ideas seem harder than most things I have done without much thought. While other things I have done have had just as many chances of failure, if not more.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I do seem like I'm blaming someone else for my lack of actions aren't I? Since I am very self aware and objective with myself, I know I do get in my own way. Even though I know what to do, at times when people start questioning my decisions I get very indecisive and have a tendency to not stand firm with my original decision, because they made valid points that make me start questioning my own reasoning behind why I should move forward with that idea and start to execute (analysis paralysis).

Even though I have made greater leaps of faith, executing my own business ideas seem harder than most things I have done without much thought. While other things I have done have had just as much risk if not more risk.
I own a golf course and it needs a lot of work. Many of the patrons have been here for many years. They know a lot about the history of the problems through their own perspectives. As a result, many constantly tell me what I SHOULD be doing.

I make my own direction. Not because I an right or wrong, but because it is my choice. It always feels better this way.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
@NonMagicalGenie

Sounds to me like you need to network with some like minded people. This forum is good for that, but you really need to find some successful entrepreneurs that you meet up with and talk to regularly. People that will hear the struggles and help you through them, rather than judge you for them.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
I own a golf course and it needs a lot of work. Many of the patrons have been here for many years. They know a lot about the history of the problems through their own perspectives. As a result, many constantly tell me what I SHOULD be doing.

I make my own direction. Not because I an right or wrong, but because it is my choice. It always feels better this way.
Thanks for understanding my situation to a T @SteveO! Another nugget of wisdom.

How do you deal with the backlash of following your own path instead of theirs? I would imagine there being an argument.

Even though you have made your own choice, doesn't that effect the relationship you have with your patrons?

I read your golf course thread a while back, it was an awesome read, a lot of actionable advice. Going to have to reread it. A lot of the points you made probably flew right over my head.
@NonMagicalGenie

Sounds to me like you need to network with some like minded people. This forum is good for that, but you really need to find some successful entrepreneurs that you meet up with and talk to regularly. People that will hear the struggles and help you through them, rather than judge you for them.
Thanks for helping me realize this, its very true indeed. I need to put myself out there more. Networking is something I truly need to work on.

One more reason why Upwork is not the best place to focus all of my time on. Even though its a good platform, I feel like its hindering me from truly being as successful as I can be. Gonna have to transition off of it soon (not completely though). Upworks new pricing structure is...yeah, I'm not feeling it haha.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Years ago I had bought a few rental properties and was planning the next.

My dad was worried, until I showed him a spreadsheet I had created.

I showed what my mortgage payments would be, what the rent would be, what would happen if the property was void for a couple of months.

I also showed some scenarios of house prices after 20 years.

It wasn't just the numbers that reassured him. He was also reassured that I'd obviously spent a lot of time calculating those numbers, that I had a plan, and that it included worst case scenarios.

From then on he's always had my back, without asking for details.

Often (not always) people who love you are worried you're going to be unhappy later down the line.

Often (not always) that's the cause of them trying to talk you out of something, or tell you what you should do instead.

Understand where that comes from, and reassure them where you can.

I am very selective who I tell my future plans to.

My family and friends *are* in that category - because they know me well enough not to worry, or to start telling me what I should or need to do (I hate those two words btw).

They've seen me succeed enough.

They've seen me laughing at "learnings", and adjust my sails going forward.

It brings me back to a favourite line of mine:

"Tell me what you've done, and I'll tell you who you are."

It's not "Tell me what you're going to do, and I'll tell you who you are."

It's also not "Tell me what you did successfully, and I'll tell you who you are."

What have you *done*?

What have you learned from it?

What will you do differently, or more of going forward?

Answer those things for yourself, and you won't worry so much about what others think or say.

Answer those things for others and they will worry or say less anyway.

Hope that helps.

Karl Chester

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Apr 29, 2016
Warrington
I can't say my family are worried, had disputes but nothing major, it's a shame they don't have an unwavering belief in you! I know it's your family but you don't need that negativity and they should understand that, it's a new era and understandably it's not their era and the unknown scares people, especially parent's wanting the best but not realising their just being counter productive. Sour opinions from friends are manageable, family though, it hurts as you expect to have them around you for many years and for them to have your back, their blood, clearly you want to prove something to them or you'd have given in to peer pressure already and lived up to their expectations and maybe you still will, maybe you won't.

It's ultimately your choice, sure, it helps when everything is progressing and if you fail yeah it's shit!.... But follow your heart, you've already mentioned you know what to do to move forward, so do it! If you fail again, no problem, screw opinions and concentrate on the fact that it's the perfect time for you to reflect and see what can be done differently next time round and so forth until you make it, with or without them, it's a tough decision but one you need to make.

I highly recommend you confide in somebody who want's what you want out of life. It's good to talk and exchange ideas, nobody want to be alone.

Regards.
Karl

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Just to set things straight, because I'm making it seem like my family are REALLY hounding me...they are not. They are hounding me, but its not as aggressive as I'm making it seem.

When I first started my journey of self-employment, I had set really big goals for myself, and to accomplish them within a short period of time.

Then reality kicked in, and I knew it would take longer then expected to reach my goals, a lot longer.

I can still accomplish my goals and thats a fact. I just have to change my strategy.

Anyways...moving forward to now...

Since I haven't accomplished the "money making" part of my original goals, they are starting to question if I am on right path, telling me to learn more, and so on.

Which I understand, after I calmed down and looked at the situation objectively.

Truth is, I'm always learning, but not in the sense they are thinking.

I'm constantly learning from my mistakes and moving forward further than I was before, always.

Doesn't mean I'm making the money I would want, not at all.

It's just the constant bickering that is done day in and day out.

The look of disappointment on their face.

There is nothing I can do to reassure them right now. Unless I make enough money to show them--actual proof.

Now based on the replies I have gotten from this thread from numerous people, I've made these realizations:

I may not be able to reassure them completely even if I do make enough money.

They may always be worried and nervous about what I do, but I just have to keep doing me.

With me thinking way too much I'm doing exactly what they are hounding me for, not progressing forward.

As long as I'm moving forward, I am one step closer to reaching my goals--which currently, I am a lot closer than I think I am.

Just have to keep hustling and not get bogged down by all the negative feedback--which I'm making very personal but it's not meant to be--it's just their natural response based on their experiences from their life and what they have learned.

Moving forward, I'm going to have to stop focusing on the things I can't control (what people think) and focus on the things I can control (how people interpret me based on my actions). There are things I can do to reassure them, but right now I can't.

Gotta focus on the present, instead of the future.

I showed what my mortgage payments would be, what the rent would be, what would happen if the property was void for a couple of months.

It wasn't just the numbers that reassured him. He was also reassured that I'd obviously spent a lot of time calculating those numbers, that I had a plan, and that it included worst case scenarios.

Often (not always) people who love you are worried you're going to be unhappy later down the line.

Often (not always) that's the cause of them trying to talk you out of something, or tell you what you should do instead.

My family and friends *are* in that category - because they know me well enough not to worry, or to start telling me what I should or need to do (I hate those two words btw).

It's also not "Tell me what you did successfully, and I'll tell you who you are."

What have you *done*?

Answer those things for yourself, and you won't worry so much about what others think or say.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for the major realization Andy!
I can't say my family are worried, had disputes but nothing major, it's a shame they don't have an unwavering belief in you! I know it's your family but you don't need that negativity and they should understand that, it's a new era and understandably it's not their era and the unknown scares people, especially parent's wanting the best but not realising their just being counter productive. Sour opinions from friends are manageable, family though, it hurts as you expect to have them around you for many years and for them to have your back, their blood, clearly you want to prove something to them or you'd have given in to peer pressure already and lived up to their expectations and maybe you still will, maybe you won't.

It's ultimately your choice, sure, it helps when everything is progressing and if you fail yeah it's shit!.... But follow your heart, you've already mentioned you know what to do to move forward, so do it! If you fail again, no problem, screw opinions and concentrate on the fact that it's the perfect time for you to reflect and see what can be done differently next time round and so forth until you make it, with or without them, it's a tough decision but one you need to make.

I highly recommend you confide in somebody who want's what you want out of life. It's good to talk and exchange ideas, nobody want to be alone.

Regards.
Karl
Thank you for the response Karl! A lot of things you said make a lot of sense.

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 20, 2014
UK
I distance myself. I make a full time living from my online stuff and have for a good few years and family STILL think I do nothing all day at home..to the point that if I need help i.e. someone to look after my son for five minutes...they say no because they think I don't do anything.

When I was making nothing I got that attitude and now that I make a full income I still get it.

I don't think it will change even when I make a much bigger impact for myself income wise.

I think it just comes down to they don't get it...they never will...so I don't talk to them about it. Most people find it hard to wrap it around their head that someone can be self employed and make a living at home from sitting at their computer. (But my sister chasing MLM seems to have something more "legitimate" going on!)

Some of my family are great - my brother works alongside me so he gets it...but some just think I should "get a job" - apparently my word or tax return isn't enough to convince them I am doing something worthwhile.

It is not a nice feeling and it really isn't nice being told you should get a job or do something worthwhile..or stop being lazy....but they just don't get it...so I distance myself sometimes just to settle things down so I don't hear it for a good while. I don't need their inability to understand and negative comments bringing me down. It does make you feel like they think you aren't capable when in reality its just an inability to comprehend...doesn't change the way it makes me feel though...so I distance myself now and then.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
I distance myself. I make a full time living from my online stuff and have for a good few years and family STILL think I do nothing all day at home..to the point that if I need help i.e. someone to look after my son for five minutes...they say no because they think I don't do anything.

When I was making nothing I got that attitude and now that I make a full income I still get it.

I don't think it will change even when I make a much bigger impact for myself income wise.

I think it just comes down to they don't get it...they never will...so I don't talk to them about it. Most people find it hard to wrap it around their head that someone can be self employed and make a living at home from sitting at their computer. (But my sister chasing MLM seems to have something more "legitimate" going on!)

Some of my family are great - my brother works alongside me so he gets it...but some just think I should "get a job" - apparently my word or tax return isn't enough to convince them I am doing something worthwhile.

It is not a nice feeling and it really isn't nice being told you should get a job or do something worthwhile..or stop being lazy....but they just don't get it...so I distance myself sometimes just to settle things down so I don't hear it for a good while. I don't need their inability to understand and negative comments bringing me down. It does make you feel like they think you aren't capable when in reality its just an inability to comprehend...doesn't change the way it makes me feel though...so I distance myself now and then.
I thought I had it bad. But that is so not the case.

My family thinks like that as well. Not as extreme as yours though. They are still in the "college and university" mindset. Until I succeed in my goals they aren't going to believe a single thing that comes out of my mouth. Just gotta keep trucking forward.

Thanks for your personal take on my post!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Here's my two cents:

If you want what someone has, do what they do. If you want the life of a doctor, lawyer, engineer, go to school, get a job and work hard.

If you want the life of an entrepreneur, be prepared to fail for a while. Some day, if you are smart, keep learning, and keep at it, you'll be an 'instant success.'

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Here's my two cents:

If you want what someone has, do what they do. If you want the life of a doctor, lawyer, engineer, go to school, get a job and work hard.

If you want the life of an entrepreneur, be prepared to fail for a while. Some day, if you are smart, keep learning, and keep at it, you'll be an 'instant success.'
Agreed.

The never giving up attitude is also very important and crucial to entrepreneurship, along with persistence, and patience. Just because things aren't going as "planned" doesn't mean your goal is impossible or can't be accomplished. Self-awareness is key here. You need to understand if your current actions are leading to the success you want and if they are not, then restructure accordingly.

I expect failure. But even though I expect it, it's sometimes difficult to actually internalize the failures. Especially with constant failure. This year so far has been a massive learning experience to say the least.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Agreed.

The never giving up attitude is also very important and crucial to entrepreneurship, along with persistence, and patience. Just because things aren't going as "planned" doesn't mean your goal is impossible or can't be accomplished. Self-awareness is key here. You need to understand if your current actions are leading to the success you want and if they are not, then restructure accordingly.

I expect failure. But even though I expect it, it's sometimes difficult to actually internalize the failures. Especially with constant failure. This year so far has been a massive learning experience to say the least.
Failure sucks. Sometimes, massively so. Barely being able to feed your family sucks.

Here was a turning point for me: I joined this forum last summer. I'd been operating under the following assumptions:

1) someone 'out there' knew better how to run my business than me. If I just found that person or group, I'd be ok
2) I have to be the 'master sales rep' for my company.
3) I need to 'do it all' until I have enough cash flow to hire out the work.

My turning point was when I said:

"I don't have what it takes to do sales in my company. I need to go find someone who can do that for me and hire them."
I am really good at certain parts of the sales process, but I'm missing some key elements. I knew that I wasn't going to get good at those missing elements for quite a while, if ever.
Most everyone I talked to, including some very well-respected people on here said that the CEO needs to be the chief sales officer. I completely understand the reason why.
However, I said, 'screw that. I'm gonna go do what I know needs to be done.' So, I hired a really good sales rep. Its taken from Oct 30 till now, but we now have $350k in the sale pipeline, and that's being conservative. One of the deals we're working could be many times that. I'd say about half of it will close in the next couple months.

That turning point was 'I'm gonna take all the feedback I can find, but ****I**** am going to be the one making the decision I think is best.' (and I will reap the reward (or the mess) that my decision creates.)

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014

What have you *done*?

Hope that helps.

thank you Andy, like always :)

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
Failure sucks. Sometimes, massively so. Barely being able to feed your family sucks.

Here was a turning point for me: I joined this forum last summer. I'd been operating under the following assumptions:

1) someone 'out there' knew better how to run my business than me. If I just found that person or group, I'd be ok
2) I have to be the 'master sales rep' for my company.
3) I need to 'do it all' until I have enough cash flow to hire out the work.

My turning point was when I said:

"I don't have what it takes to do sales in my company. I need to go find someone who can do that for me and hire them."
I am really good at certain parts of the sales process, but I'm missing some key elements. I knew that I wasn't going to get good at those missing elements for quite a while, if ever.
Most everyone I talked to, including some very well-respected people on here said that the CEO needs to be the chief sales officer. I completely understand the reason why.
However, I said, 'screw that. I'm gonna go do what I know needs to be done.' So, I hired a really good sales rep. Its taken from Oct 30 till now, but we now have $350k in the sale pipeline, and that's being conservative. One of the deals we're working could be many times that. I'd say about half of it will close in the next couple months.

That turning point was 'I'm gonna take all the feedback I can find, but ****I**** am going to be the one making the decision I think is best.' (and I will reap the reward (or the mess) that my decision creates.)
I have never been in a situation like yours, but respect!

I guess sometimes you just have let your ego down and do whats best for the business instead of staying on top of a pedestal thinking you can do everything under the sun and moon.

Not everyone can do everything. Something I have to understand haha.

In my mind I act like I am good at "that" particular thing, but in reality I need to cultivate other skills and elements to get to that level I'm imagining I am at in my mind. It sucks when you realize it, but it feels good knowing you are that self-aware with yourself to not let your ego take control.

Staying grounded and taking a firm stance on my decisions is also another thing I need to work on. Gary Vee explains it best, "word is bond". Not swaying on the business decisions or even life choices you have made and sticking to them, even if you embarrass yourself in the process or take in a major loss, "reap the rewards or the mess the decisions/choices create". If I say I'm going to do something I do it or I take the heat and get back up, learn from it, and keep moving forward.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.